• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Is...Is he issuing commands?!?' Will Red lose the silent protagonist role?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Red, in EVERY SINGLE GAME HE HAS BEEN IN, has always been a silent protagonist. But in the PT update, its hinted that he is issuing commands.

Now, I know it isnt all THAT likely, but how annoying would it be if you repeatedly heard 'IVYSAUR! VINE WHIP!' though an entire fight.

And on a side note, where do you think he will go when he is out of stock? Will he just evaporate?

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
something i hope doesnt happen is since he commands the pokemon it doesnt take the pokemont forever to attack.please god let the pokemon fight normally T-T

Foe

Smash Journeyman
When a character stands still and doesn't move they start bouncing and stuff. I think all he does it point.

Saying it would be pointless because he would say "Flamethrower"and then the opponent would jump or roll and counter it because it was said he attacked.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Red, in EVERY SINGLE GAME HE HAS BEEN IN, has always been a silent protagonist. But in the PT update, its hinted that he is issuing commands.

Now, I know it isnt all THAT likely, but how annoying would it be if you repeatedly heard 'IVYSAUR! VINE WHIP!' though an entire fight.

And on a side note, where do you think he will go when he is out of stock? Will he just evaporate?
I think Sakurai was being a bit sarcastic, as far as issuing commands I expect the PT to just point and move around the stage.

I mean Sakurai said Samus was evolving so why can't the other characters have a evolutionary form? :confused:

-Knight

Djcs_

Smash Rookie
Commands don't have to be by voice. It could be a gesture of any kind.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Or yell the attacks in Japanese, and keep it in the US version too.
Or they could have a text box in the bottom of the screen behind the stocks etc, like in the games. Like when it says "It's super effective!" On the Dojo and the like...

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I hope he just stands there point in every which way.

As for the side note i think he will just shake his head a grab another pokeball

lex.aut

Smash Apprentice
won't his attacks be a bit predictable if he always does gestures?
i'm excited how they're going to make him a competitive, suitable character...

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
RED is a Nintendo character. They don't have vocal chords. I actually feel really bad for Snake and Sonic, they only have each other to talk to for the rest of their days because all the first-party characters lack speech.

He's just going to point and do generic "WTF are you doing?!? ATTACK!" gestures like pointing and flailing his arms and legs.

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Well Mario can sort of talk. captain falcon talks, but hasnt been revealed yet. luigi sort of talks too. im sure there are others, but its not just sonic and smake that can talk. i know that much.

Micahc

Smash Ace
RED is a Nintendo character. They don't have vocal chords. I actually feel really bad for Snake and Sonic, they only have each other to talk to for the rest of their days because all the first-party characters lack speech.
First party characters not talk?!

"Show me ya moves!"

It's even a complete sentence.

SpeedBreaker888

Smash Cadet
Pit also talks , and I think Ike talks to, and Lucas talks in Mother 3, just very little, and Ness shouted PK Thunder, and Pk Fire and Pk Flash all the time, so I don't think it would be a problem, if PT shouted, "Waterfall!, Withdraw!, Flamethrower!, Vine Whip, Solarbeam, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast!."

and there is a thing called a Mute button on a TV remote, use it if you want.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Ike talks all the time (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn), Mario talks (All console games from Super Mario 64 onwards), Peach talks (especially in Super Mario 64), Bowser talks (Sunshine anyone?), Luigi talks (M-Marioooooo!), Captain Falcon talks (FALCON PUNCH!), Fox talks (Adventures and Assault), Bowser Jr talks (Super Mario Sunshine had a lot of talking), Diddy Kong talks (Donkey Kong 64), Donkey Kong talks (DKC and DKC2 GBA remakes). Should I go on?

Frogla

Smash Ace
if pokemon trainer is based on the anime
Like Every other Charachter from pokemon in the last game was, and from the looks of it this game too. He will talk.

Draquoir

Smash Cadet
dude. Who is the guy that says "shoot, it was too close!" ect. the narrator? Lol he talks during battles and you know it.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
...Nah, I doubt it. I think all he'll do is random arm-flailing, maybe some indiscriminate grunts and such, and some victory speech or something. Making him talk the whole time would get annoying pretty fast, not to mention make his attacks too predictable...

And Nintendo's main characters not having vocal cords? *coughstarfox64cough*

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
To me it will be a startup lag problem if he issued attack commands just imagine it, example with Squirtle:
*Player presses Up B*
PT: Squirtle, use Waterfall.. Now!
*Waterfall starts*

It just wont work, only if Squirtle does the attack immediatly as if he read PT's thoughts.

I can imagine PT talking while switching Pokemon though. And of course when he wins:
"IM GUNNA BE A POKEMUN MASTUR(b8er)!!1!"
And taunts aswell:
"YAY! I got the stoner badge!"

Cerulean_Charizard

Smash Cadet
I hope Red doesn't talk, Ness and Captain Falcon were bad enough (funny how they became my least favourite characters after Pichu...). I would also be pretty mad if they decided to follow the Pokemon anime standards in Brawl... urgh...

Micahc

Smash Ace
If they followed the Anime standards in Brawl, I would cry. A lot. Then jump in front of a speeding car. And Captain Falcons only the sexiest and most bad *** character in the game.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I would also be pretty mad if they decided to follow the Pokemon anime standards in Brawl... urgh...
They already did. The Pokemon don't speak their own names in the games (with a few exceptions in recent years).

Not that I'm complaining (I more or less don't care).

Micahc

Smash Ace
They already did. The Pokemon don't speak their own names in the games (with a few exceptions in recent years).

Not that I'm complaining (I more or less don't care).
Well it's better than having Pikachu scream out his eight bit cry in pain as he gets knocked off of the stage...

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
I hope if he does talk it wouldn't be that long for a command. I wouldn't mind if he said "Waterfall!" "Vinevhip" etc. Thats just me <_<

Drake3

Smash Ace
Well it's better than having Pikachu scream out his eight bit cry in pain as he gets knocked off of the stage...
Well that's true. I can't even imagine hearing...there's actually no combination of letters I can think of to describe what Pikachu says in Red/Blue.

Cerulean_Charizard

Smash Cadet
Actually, the crys in Pokemon ARE their names in the games, just a little warped or parts of their names. Don't believe me? The best example I can think of at the moment is Koffing/Dogasu, I mean, its cry really sounds like its saying 'Do-gas'. Meh, people might not believe me on this one, but I'm pretty sure they really do say their Japanese names.

Top Bottom