• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it better to be aggressive with Roy?

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
The title is a little self-explanatory, but is it better to be aggressive with Roy, or play the defensive game and try to bait and punish?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
The title is a little self-explanatory, but is it better to be aggressive with Roy, or play the defensive game and try to bait and punish?
Aggressive is better because Roy doesn't have a projectile. The most defensive that Roy can get is using his movement options to bait out a punish or applying pressure.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Roy is the character that I play most with (Outside of Jigglypuff) in Smash 4. I personally think that an agressive Roy is a better Roy. It also seems to be the general consensus in this thread here. As Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 pointed out, Roy doesn't have a projectile. So being on the defensive is kinda tricky. You could ofcourse use the 'ol Bait and punish. But I wouldn't really call that playing defensive.

Roy is the character that I play most with (Outside of Jigglypuff) in Smash 4. I personally think that an agressive Roy is a better Roy. It also seems to be the general consensus in this thread here. As Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 pointed out, Roy doesn't have a projectile. So being on the defensive is kinda tricky. You could ofcourse use the 'ol Bait and punish. But I wouldn't really call that playing defensive.
I would indeed place baits and punishes under smart aggression.

Playing cold = remaining an impenetrable wall and continuing to force approach and mistakes over and over, rather than sprinkling in baits and punishes while cornering them. You can still do this to projectile-heavy characters if you're good enough at neutral to mould that into your play. Strict stage control and moving+poking towards them still apply to being a wall, so you're not exactly changing temperature when dealing with them successfully besides maybe a few degrees.

It's kinda like Marth in Melee where you have many primo aggression tools but can also form a stubborn wall even against laser/needle or other projectile camping, and how there's different styles of Marth where you can tell which high-level Marth is which just by how each play.

Last edited:

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Against projectile characters it's hard to play defense so it's good to rush them down though characters Roy outranges it may be optimal to wall them out with well spaced aireals and tilts

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Defensive Roy doesn't work that well in most Matchups. Against certain Floaties like Kirby you want to play defensively because Kirby can combo you pretty well. Sonic is also one of those MUs where you really can't overstep your ground because he has too many safe things such as an auto-cancel dair, a bread and butter that is safe (side-b), an up-b that prevents you from juggling. Yeah pretty dumb to have given him a buff that just makes his approach down more safe. Sakurai please -.-(Btw it's even worse now with this freaking shield patch, it would have actually been a good patch if they didn't patch customs at the same time smh)

Anyways it's not really that efficient anyways, Roy has so many good strings and follow-ups that just sitting behind is pointless unless you're looking to confuse your opponent. But if you do play him defensively you'll be surprised to know he is much better than Marth at it. No surprise there anyways.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
With Roy I do like playing aggressively. 1. Roy doesn't have a projectile, 2. It fits my playstyle. The most I can do defensively is bait and control my movement.

I haven't played this game in a while so I don't know if Rotly had any new changes in a new patch.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Roy plays well aggressively when his opponent plays aggressively, unless their frame data comes out faster, in which he has to play defensively. Good thing is, he doesn't have a hard time doing that because he has the tools to do it.

Elitist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-9559-1098
Controlling the field of play will always surpass having to play by your opponents ratification. Set rules, don't abide by theirs.

EDIT:: Typo!

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
In my opinion, aggressive. Though I guess it is MU dependent.

Top Bottom