• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it ever necessary to use Ness' down tilt?

SmoothieOtter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cornfox
I get the idea, it's fast, pretty bad range, not that much damage, and sometimes trips. I doesn't look like it's that good of a move but should we ever go out of our way to use it when we can? Or do you guys think it's best to just not use it at all and take the opportunity to use a different option of an attack? I'm currently trying to know Ness inside out as best as I possibly can, and this is the one move where I don't really know when to really use it or anything.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
It could camp ledge pretty safely... Similar to Pikachu's neutral A. It could also be a good tool for getting pressure off of you, and getting a grab into backthrow, should you react quickly enough to it's tripping mechanic.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Only worth using on people whose roll habits often place them right against you, because trip -> bat is a glorious combo.
Also works fantastically if you can ever pin Villager against their tree. (Or PKF them against the tree and dtilt them repeatedly so they can't escape as easily.)

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
I pretty much only use it by the ledge to cover get-up options, pretty similar to Pika's jab.

AJ the Nessiah

Smash Rookie
NNID
PKMN-Trainer-AJ
3DS FC
1375-7393-6117
I learned from a stream with Shaky that down tilt seems to extend your grab box when you poke their shield so you can d-tilt their shield and if they drop it they may trip but if not you can get a free grab.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I've fallen in love with dtilt as of late. i used to think it was awful. Now I'm starting to think it's really good. I'm probably going to make a post on its uses sometime. It's a very underrated tool that doesn't make a lot of sense at first.

Noa.

Smash Master
I've fallen in love with dtilt as of late. i used to think it was awful. Now I'm starting to think it's really good. I'm probably going to make a post on its uses sometime. It's a very underrated tool that doesn't make a lot of sense at first.
Please do cause I still think it's useless and one of our bottom 3 moves.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I've used d tilt for so long with Ness and I wondered why no one used it before. I'm glad its getting the attention it deserves.

Asa

Smash Hero
It's a high reward/medium risk move. The fact that people don't deal with it Properly makes it a little better atm as well.

A move that trips isn't that bad lol. I'd say utilt is worse than dtilt because nair covers the same space as utilt, and it's not very rewarding outside of low percent strings

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
I use DTilt by the Ledge and if there at Backthrow range I use it to make then trip and backthrow, that worked a couple times :)

Top Bottom