• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U is it just me or are cpu's WAY cheaper in the wii u version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
on the 3ds i can complete classic on 9.0 no problem but on wii u the best i can do without getting owned is 7.5.

cpu's use every douche move in the book

spamming counters, rolling to the other side of the stage, grab me at high damage and just pummeling, everyone targeting me(with 8 players its annoying)

and allll of a sudden master and crazy hand can do wombo combos.......

Coyote Gospel

Smash Rookie
I think its mostly because the added characters on screen make the game a complete mess. Other than that I'm not noticed much difference.

Nathan Willis

Smash Rookie
One thing I've noticed is the CPU teams have combined moves they use a lot on level 9. Many times have I been tossed in the air by one cpu player into the other cpu player who had jumped high in the air in anticipation of this move. Then the cpu in the air knocks me even higher and out of play. Like basketball, they ally-oop me. Problem is, they can do this to me even when I'm at 0%, knocking me out in one move.

So yes, the Wii U cpu players are way cheaper on higher difficulty levels.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
I get my butt whooped by lvl 9 CPUs. DDD actually pulls off some amazing combos... I can take notes off 'em.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The high-leveled CPUs in this game can sure make the ones in Smash 3DS feel tame. I know that Master Fortress is only limited to intensity levels 8.0 and higher, but how can you even get there if you can't even survive the 8-player smash onslaughts before that?!

Fluffyeevee

Criminal among Criminals
NNID
Thefluffyeeveee
3DS FC
2423-4481-8726
I'm not alone! I noticed this very quickly as I usually was doing 7-8 in Classic on the 3DS Version, at a nice pace with a good challenge, but now even at 6 its absolutely destroying me, AI's can pull of combos, they chase me off the stage and do things they didn't do before. Sometimes they just seem to know what moves i'll do as they either do a frame-perfect Guard or just in general not let me attack.I'm not a fan of this change..(And the massive amount of Professionals online, this game needs matchmaking..)

Call me an amateur, which I will say with joy that I am, but jeez its hard to have fun when you're struggling to keep up.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Only in event mode... Those CPU's know for a fact I am trying to complete all the challenges in a time limit...

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
I dunno... maybe because I'm coming from Brawl/Melee (I never purchased the 3DS version of the game), but I've been consistently winning in Classic at 6.9 with my older character mains and with two of the new ones as well. However, the difficulty does ramp up a LOT beyond 7.0.

I do appreciate the AI compared to the previous games, but damn they are challenging!

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
One time Pikachu was jabbng me over and over again and I couldn't move... then Ness used PK Flash and that was it. I was so frustrated, I'd like to be able to play Master Fortress but I don't think I'll be able to...

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
I'm not ashamed to say I play against level 8 CPU's on Wii U, level 9 feels just unfair. It's a fricken CPU that can reaction better than human so whatever.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Phew ok so it's not just me! Classic mode is pretty much we're all this crap happens. Sometimes it's manageable in regular smash but only when I'm using my main..... Using anyone else doesn't work out

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's because nintendo brought out that 90's arcade AI coding, they react way more than anything else, they don't even fight each other when it's FFA, it's kind of cheap when you think about it because they make counters based in your inputs and they know what the input is before your character even does the animation

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
It's because nintendo brought out that 90's arcade AI coding, they react way more than anything else, they don't even fight each other when it's FFA, it's kind of cheap when you think about it because they make counters based in your inputs and they know what the input is before your character even does the animation
In terms of them perfectly countering and such, is it even possible for them to NOT do that? Since they're an AI, they obviously have perfect timing, and would also know your inputs (since the game itself tells them)

I don't think anyone could possibly code an AI to NOT counter whenever the hell it feels like it. I think its funny that they all team up on you even when they're not on a team though.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Did you mean: Amiibo? XD

But seriously, I find the CPUs a lot harder than the 3DS version but easier than Brawl and Melee's CPUs. As for Wii U's classic mode, it is DIFFICULT. I was able to complete it on 9.0 but only with Custom Rosaluma with high defense and a healer item that healed 2% randomly when I hit something. Even with that though, it took me several tries. Its not easy at all...

Also just a piece of advice for those doing 9.0 (or any difficult above 7.5) AVOID 8 PLAYER SMASH unless forced. I always get trolled and thrown in the middle of it which ends up being a cluster***k. I try to stick to 2-3 players. Also Idk if its just me but classic mode REALLY likes Melee's Yoshi's Island. It tends to pick that even when doing 1v1s for some reason.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
In terms of them perfectly countering and such, is it even possible for them to NOT do that? Since they're an AI, they obviously have perfect timing, and would also know your inputs (since the game itself tells them)

I don't think anyone could possibly code an AI to NOT counter whenever the hell it feels like it. I think its funny that they all team up on you even when they're not on a team though.
Well it is that's why we have CPU levels the higher you put it the more they exploit that advantage.

I think the hidden characters are way tougher the level 9's I had a doctor mario doing some advanced techs on me, this man was doing pivot grabs and jab cancels into grabs, I was legit afraid.

I actually had this funny but heart breaking incident where my rival stole my home run bat then later in the match someone got a stop watch, I see the CPU charging up the bat with no one else around from half way across the map, then sheik hits my with some up tilts while pikachu comes in with a f smash lands me right in front of my rival charging the bat and I get K'O'd

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
For the most part I'm ok with it, there are ways of dealing with the computer players. But yeah it is ridiculous in an 8 player free-for-all when they all target you. Basically your options are to spam reflect moves or run until some get knocked out or receive high damage. I tried playing aggressively in those matches but it always ends with me receiving about 90%-115% in a couple of seconds.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Man, you guys are making me feel good
I did 8.0 with Mario, Bowser, and Falcon and basically only did 8 players Smashes. You just gotta fight cheap with cheap; bring out your ffa moves and let the CPUs kill each other.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think what really sucks on my end is that I've been too reliant on Rosalina for the higher intensity levels in Smash 3DS, and as such, I've never even attempted to face Master Core with anyone else.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This is particularily horrendous on the Event Matches that require you to beat 7 of the Newcomers, I can't get past Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer without losing a stock with any character, they wombo combo you somehow, Rosalina throws you into Wii Fit Trainer's vicegrip NAir all the time, it's honestly a bunch of bull****, they're ridiculously cheap, or maybe I just suck, but it's honestly very depressing when you can't get past the first two characters of a challenge that requires beating 7 of them.

Shog

Smash Ace
This sounds awesome, can't wait to face finally strong CPU or even Amiiboo CPU

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
This is particularily horrendous on the Event Matches that require you to beat 7 of the Newcomers, I can't get past Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer without losing a stock with any character, they wombo combo you somehow, Rosalina throws you into Wii Fit Trainer's vicegrip NAir all the time, it's honestly a bunch of bull****, they're ridiculously cheap, or maybe I just suck, but it's honestly very depressing when you can't get past the first two characters of a challenge that requires beating 7 of them.
I just used Bowser and spammed all of his Smash attacks + down B for those Events. It works wonders lol

And yeah, the CPUs are really annoying, especially in all of the 8 player matches that the game forces you to play in single-player mode.

8 player mode with friends: Chaotic fun.
8 player mode with CPUs: (indecipherable sounds of rage)

Alses

Smash Apprentice
To everyone above that wants to try the master fortress: Don't.. It's hell, by the time you get to it you will probably only have 1 live since the sword form can spam it's attacks at higher levels and once you're there it's a game of don't touch anything or you'll die. I've gotten to it many times and never beat it because every time I get launched I just start bouncing off the walls and die from it.

On topic: I love trying to jump over CPUs to get closer to the center of the stage only to have all of them jump after me at the same time =| It's like I'm a rockstar except instead of them wanting to be the first to get an autograph they wanna be the first to get a kill. And it doesn't help that in heavy battles with 8 players the gamepad can't keep up as well and actually literally has offline lag. Classic mode sucks, wish I could just fight the Hands and get it over with, hate the new bosses. Too much HP, too much power and too many forms.

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
Man, you guys are making me feel good
I did 8.0 with Mario, Bowser, and Falcon and basically only did 8 players Smashes. You just gotta fight cheap with cheap; bring out your ffa moves and let the CPUs kill each other.
I completely agree with this post. You can't approach Classic the same way you approach For Glory or other modes. I almost always manage to reach Master Fortress... With enough practice any of you can do it too :b:.

It's only the 3rd day since US release, give yourselves some time to learn and adapt. I'll admit, these CPUs are some mind reading freaks, but they're not impossible to beat.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Well it is that's why we have CPU levels the higher you put it the more they exploit that advantage.

I think the hidden characters are way tougher the level 9's I had a doctor mario doing some advanced techs on me, this man was doing pivot grabs and jab cancels into grabs, I was legit afraid.

I actually had this funny but heart breaking incident where my rival stole my home run bat then later in the match someone got a stop watch, I see the CPU charging up the bat with no one else around from half way across the map, then sheik hits my with some up tilts while pikachu comes in with a f smash lands me right in front of my rival charging the bat and I get K'O'd
that actually sucks ass....LOL

To everyone above that wants to try the master fortress: Don't.. It's hell, by the time you get to it you will probably only have 1 live since the sword form can spam it's attacks at higher levels and once you're there it's a game of don't touch anything or you'll die. I've gotten to it many times and never beat it because every time I get launched I just start bouncing off the walls and die from it.
are the enemies in master fortress easier or harder the smash run?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The main problem I have is the awful, awful wombo combo syndrome that you can get in EVERY 8-player Smash fight, and there's a lot of them in Classic Mode. Most of the time on the higher difficulties they end through luck (cheap items, one of them gets the Smash Ball, etc(, which I don't really like. Once one of them jabs you, it seems to be over when the other 6 steam-roll you off the stage.

Needless to say, I tend to stick to 6-7.5 when dealing with Classic Mode because anything higher and I get wrecked.

Alses

Smash Apprentice
are the enemies in master fortress easier or harder the smash run?
They're the same except for their textures. The real problem is how they're the ones that have ease at launching which is deadly because you'll bounce around and once you bounce past 100% touching the hazards is insta-kill, if there wasn't that insta-kill feature it'd be a lot easier.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
I find the computer players easier than melee. Their only real trick seems to be rolling then grappling, but my response is "If you are going to try to ninja me, do not pause after you roll." Bowser really hates Luma for some reason though, and spams fire at it constantly.

Besides the computers running from me on hard event challenges when I am going for the extra reward, the most annoying thing is the computers disregard for free for all. Constantly they will stop fighting each other to chase me around.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
I'd like to recount a little of what I said earlier. I completely forgot about Brawl's mother****ing **** AI where they wouldn't even attack each other and just go after you. It was one (but not the only) of the reasons why I stopped playing Brawl all together. The AI was horrendous, walking right next to each other to get to me and not attacking each other. Also Smash balls would always be directed to me too.

That being said, Smash 4's AI is an improvement. They honestly feel akin to Melee's AI, minus the needless taunting. I can actually win against them and they attack each other instead of it being a 3v1 like it was in brawl. They do still target you for the smash ball, but turning off items seems to get rid of that problem just fine ;)

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The Wii U AI is indeed better then in the 3DS version.

They're less predictable, they short hop aerials more often, they don't air dodge every time they get hit, and they're a lot better at recovering (They almost always go low, and will both attack and air dodge if necessary).

I think anyone who says Brawl and Melee AI was better has a bad memory, though. Brawl was basically a strictly inferior version of Smash 4's AI, while Melee's AI was ridiculously predictable and could be baited into leaving themselves open or SDing extremely easily (You can beat Yoshi, G&W, and some other characters without even moving because of how stupid they are).

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
The Wii U AI is indeed better then in the 3DS version.

They're less predictable, they short hop aerials more often, they don't air dodge every time they get hit, and they're a lot better at recovering (They almost always go low, and will both attack and air dodge if necessary).

I think anyone who says Brawl and Melee AI was better has a bad memory, though. Brawl was basically a strictly inferior version of Smash 4's AI, while Melee's AI was ridiculously predictable and could be baited into leaving themselves open or SDing extremely easily (You can beat Yoshi, G&W, and some other characters without even moving because of how stupid they are).
In don't think the answer to making AI better is smash 4's. Sure the older ones could be baited but human players can be baited as well to do things. The AI in this game feels more like they allow you to hit them rather you out playing them, this games AI is heavily flawed because smash is a game about deception, the older games gave characters different habits that could be exploited just like any human would have bad habits that could be exploited, this game is purely reactive to your inputs and they do everything frame perfect they only air dodge when you go for an attack not when they think you'll go for an attack. How do you beat 4 to 8 different opponents when they all can read your moves before you've even done the animation?

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Apart from CPUs actually spiking me from time to time they don't seem that different.

Now the Amiibos...that's another story. My Peach Amiibo will Float in front of me and refuse to come near an F-Smash and will also combo down throws into U-Airs.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Classic mode and Crazy Orders piss me off. One minute, I am slaying stupid AI, the next, their difficulty just goes through the roof with no warning.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I am not liking this. In one match that was free for all on Classic, all the cpu's kept chasing me. This was on 8.0.

It's not just classic mode but especially in All Star Mode.

On the 3DS version I could do All Star easily on Normal with most characters, without using all the Health Items between matches. On the Wii U version, Normal feels more like Hard. (Maybe even harder than the 3DS version's Hard since I cleared Hard mode on the 3DS version easily with one character)The cpu's keep dodging, blocking or seem to predict what I am about to do. And I had to use all the health items. The 3DS version felt more fair for being Normal.

I am kind of hoping there's a patch soon to tone things down a bit. Because some of the challenges look insane. I want to see how anyone can beat All Star on Hard using Ike and Duck Hunt. Or even the other challenge of surviving All Star without using the health items.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Classic mode was mildly annoying, but even at 9.0, it wasn't too much of a problem. Truth be told, Master Fortress is pathetic, once you know what to do (Just kill the flowers. Seriously, that's all.). Now the event matches on the other hand...I hate 'em. I just hate 'em. Trying to reach the reward conditions for all of them and clearing them all on hard mode just sucks. I could swear that the CPUs react to your button inputs, even before your character begins their attack animation.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I haven't done much Classic mode yet. I've been focusing on All Star so that I can work on the "Beat All Star on Hard with 8 characters" challenge before the whole cast is unlocked (5 down so far). The CPUs there do seem pretty cheap, and they seem to play defensively at times, which is really frustrating given how this game seems to favor the defender.

In multiplayer mode, I play level 6 CPUs for now - haven't tried level 9. I did an 8 player FFA on regular Battlefield with all level 6 CPUs and absolutely destroyed everyone with only one stock lost, mainly because I used Ike and abused his counter and amazing up smash and forward smash. Not sure how it would go with a character that doesn't have a counter, but they work really well for the massive FFAs.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
In don't think the answer to making AI better is smash 4's. Sure the older ones could be baited but human players can be baited as well to do things. The AI in this game feels more like they allow you to hit them rather you out playing them, this games AI is heavily flawed because smash is a game about deception, the older games gave characters different habits that could be exploited just like any human would have bad habits that could be exploited, this game is purely reactive to your inputs and they do everything frame perfect they only air dodge when you go for an attack not when they think you'll go for an attack. How do you beat 4 to 8 different opponents when they all can read your moves before you've even done the animation?
I say better in the sense of them being more difficult.

I agree that it's dumb that they rely on completely inhuman reflexes to provide a challenge as opposed to fighting more like actual players. Melee and Brawl's AI felt a little more realistic for the fact that they could be tricked into leaving themselves open with whiffed attacks, whereas the AI in Smash 4 won't even respond to your attacks unless it's actually in danger of being hit.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I say better in the sense of them being more difficult.

I agree that it's dumb that they rely on completely inhuman reflexes to provide a challenge as opposed to fighting more like actual players. Melee and Brawl's AI felt a little more realistic for the fact that they could be tricked into leaving themselves open with whiffed attacks, whereas the AI in Smash 4 won't even respond to your attacks unless it's actually in danger of being hit.
Yeah difficulty is definitely a 10/10

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
The comps in this game are harder than the comps in the 3ds version, however, it isn't over the top imo. In comparison to the previous games the Brawl comps always went for me in free for alls and the Melee comps ran into a lot of fully charged smash attacks. The comps on level 9 in this game seem a lot smarter. Probably the only unfairness I notice is the counters. I hate fighting level 9 comps that have counter as a move. As soon as I land a hit, they counter, then I get punished because they know my button input. Other than that there are no issues that I have.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
The AI was weirdly designed. They show you how to fight by doing the cheap moves, and expecting to do the same. Rolling, grappling when they miss attacks, and using use neutral A moves are extremely problematic for them. Well timed shots, prediction, leading, and aerials are rarely as effective as spamming your neutral A for the CPU to roll into.

It leads to a very annoying fight where I am not free to experiment or try different moves. The level 1 CPUs get close to you then wait a moment. If you do not manage to get them out of range or anything, they will do some level 9 combos. The smash tour AI is evil because it will do annoying things like reduce your stamina health to 50hp with a item, and then clear a path so someone can chase you with a one hit KO hammer.

Though I am enjoying the evil Amiibo AI, the rival multiman smash (only fun one in my opinion), target blast, and such. Spectating people and betting money was fun (cheering against the shirtless shulks is always fun). I have yet to explore things like the screenshots, master pieces, and custom map making. Everything is pretty good, except the CPU AI. Would of preferred any other generation of AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom