• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me or is Sakurai using sse to make a new "Kirby" game?

Django_EXE

Smash Apprentice
Take route 666 west, then drive 13 miles past meph
The subspace emissary seems more and more like the kirby games, with The clear % thing. Also who is one of the first characters you play as, also the halberd is the first "evil" thing you see. Also I've heard Meta-knight and dedede play an important roll later on.
Prove me wrong, prove me right, provide suport, just discuss.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
Well, wouldn't Sakurai need permission from HAL to make Kirby games since Sakurai isn't a part of them anymore.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I am not a huge Kirby fan, but it's not really a bad thing.

Besides, the percentage showing how far you are is not specific to Kirby, TONS of games do that. And a lot of characters seem to play important roles. I doubt think it's safe to say Metaknight has a fairly large role simply because his ship is used, but I can't say much for Dedede.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Um, a lot of games use clear percentages to track your progress (Metroid Prime anyone?). Can't comment on the Meta/Dedede thing since I've been avoiding story spoilers, but from what I've seen it seems mostly based off the non-combat regions from Melee's adventure mode in style anyway.

Zevox

XACE-K

Smash Master
The subspace emissary seems more and more like the kirby games, with The clear % thing. Also who is one of the first characters you play as, also the halberd is the first "evil" thing you see. Also I've heard Meta-knight and dedede play an important roll later on.
Well no s*** Sherlock.

Break

Smash Apprentice
breaking news! kirby game headed to wii this year! no joke!
Well, this isn't exactly breaking news, but a sweet new Kirby game is in the works for the Wii. I don't see the point that the OP is making, if Sakurai really wanted to produce another Kirby game I'm sure he could have arranged it with HAL, especially considering he created the freaking character.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Dude go to the kirby forums you'll see the smae topic 4 times

but the % thing, you ever played Metroid

The intro thing is a reference to Melee and 64 with mario and kirby
Mario and Zelda both get a main evil dude

and almost everyone plays a major role
except sonic but that was a late addition

But anyway it's a good thing it's like a sequel to revenge of Meta-Knight

Django_EXE

Smash Apprentice
Take route 666 west, then drive 13 miles past meph
Is that a bad thing?
No, but It is kind of annoying how Sakurai imposes his games on the unsuspecting masses

I am not a huge Kirby fan, but it's not really a bad thing.

Besides, the percentage showing how far you are is not specific to Kirby, TONS of games do that. And a lot of characters seem to play important roles. I doubt think it's safe to say Metaknight has a fairly large role simply because his ship is used, but I can't say much for Dedede.
I know tons of games do it, but the game has a font and positioning similar to the opening of many kirby games.

Well, wouldn't Sakurai need permission from HAL to make Kirby games since Sakurai isn't a part of them anymore.
yse he would need their permisin to make a spesific "Kirby" game, but he has rights to use the nintendo characters in it, but he isn't making a "Kirby" game, but a game that plays very similarly to kirby, and uses Kirby characters in pretty heavy roles, which is legal, but annoying (at least to me, because I hoped Subspace would have more based on the background of spesific characters, like Samus or C. Falcon trying to collect a bounty, or Pokemon Trainer trying to capture rare pokemon)

NDUDE

Smash Ace
SSE is played out just like Kirby Superstar (extra partners that warp to you, hidden doors and items, enemies and bosses with visible names and HP meters, etc.) Oh, and Kirby Superstar rocked. Hard.

jonfled

Smash Cadet
also in subspace, you progress farther in the level through doors you walk through like in most kirby games. it has kirby written all over it, who cares. sakurai has to have an influence from his own creation, no?

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
SSE is played out just like Kirby Superstar (extra partners that warp to you, hidden doors and items, enemies and bosses with visible names and HP meters, etc.) Oh, and Kirby Superstar rocked. Hard.
Yeah, I can't wait for the new DS remake of the game coming out soon.

spindash

Smash Ace
Well, the Kirby formula has never been a bad thing in the first place. People complaining that bosses are too easy or that it's just go here, beat people up, and move on. Look at freaking Kirby! That's what most of his games are all about and it's a great system for side scrolling and fighting! There's lots of action, and non-stop fun too.

I think the Subspace Emmisary, while a bonus for Brawl, is the ultimate Nintendo crossover that takes elements from past Kirby games and creates a perfect side scrolling adventure if you were looking for one in Smash Bros.

Is SSE a new "Kirby" game? In the elements of how you play it? It's close. But the emphasis is on every character involved. So SSE is a Super Smash Bros. game, but it's the style of a Kirby game at heart, I say.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I have begun to notice that many Kirby titles do have some similarities things used in SSB, such as the platforming, percentage, the "breaking glass" to unlock hidden things, not tomention the fact that it features a slew of characters and cut scenes but uses little to no dialogue throughout (Kirby 64 used the same format).

However, these similarities are probably not because Sakurai wants to make a new Kirby game, but because Sakurai has been working on Kirby games more abundantly than any other franchise. Likely when he thinks "Nintendo", he thinks "Kirby." Thus, for Sakurai, the ultimate expression of a Nintendo fighter, in his mind, is one that resembles a Kirby game.

Reading any further into it than that is unneccessary.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash is based on a Kirby game

It's called Kirby Superstar...

It's BEEN like that since game 1

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I've noticed it.
Even the ways the doors work are the same.
But, I'm good with it, but I wish we got more Zelda representation, like a Boss or AT.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Well, this isn't exactly breaking news, but a sweet new Kirby game is in the works for the Wii. I don't see the point that the OP is making, if Sakurai really wanted to produce another Kirby game I'm sure he could have arranged it with HAL, especially considering he created the freaking character.
No it isn't. You're probaly thinking of the one that got cancelled.

Top Bottom