• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me or do "Pro" Smashers NEVER taunt???

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I agree with the crouching thing. Taunting has... lag... I guess would be the best way to put it. (God forbid you have lag, right? :p lol)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sonic spams the side taunt...

As for everyone else, taunts aren't epic enough. Tech skill is cooler and keeps the blood pumping.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well back in melee people did technical tricks like waveshining or doing multiple L cancel aerial in raid succession to keep there hands warm but since brawl doesn't have any of that I guess they mainly just do it out of habit now after playing melee for so long.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
pros need to charge a dk punch, charge robs disk thing, samus blast,needles, pull a stich, pull a bomb, order your pikmin, plant mines/c4, charge an aura sphere, charge a FLUDD/water gun, transform to remove stale move negation etc...taunting doesnt do anything useful...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Besides charging stuff, it's mostly habit from Melee to want to stay warm after kills to keep inputs as fast and precise as possible. So they just spam stuff to keep their flow, momentum, and unpredictability going. Of course, it's not as hard to stay consistent in Brawl, but that's really what it comes down to: consistency.

Generally pros only taunt if they recognize they have done something really epic.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
pros need to charge a dk punch, charge robs disk thing, samus blast,needles, pull a stich, pull a bomb, order your pikmin, plant mines/c4, charge an aura sphere, charge a FLUDD/water gun, transform to remove stale move negation etc...taunting doesnt do anything useful...
what if your captain falcon...or anybody who doesnt have a charge move.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Only sweet and enjoyable players taunt because it's a fun thing to do when ever you take someone's life away, but the serious players don't taunt is because their boring and have nothing to do. =/

When I played in almost every Smash tourney I went to, I was the only person that taunted after every stock I take, everyone else just stand there and stuff. They have to live a little. ;p

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
well i guess taunting is fine in brawl if you have nothing better to do because there is no tech skill to speak of...

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
At the last tournament I went to I taunted and someone shook their head.

But come on. If you're using Ness, and the word "Okay!" has not been spoken throughout the entire match, something is seriously wrong.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Well back in melee people did technical tricks like waveshining or doing multiple L cancel aerial in raid succession to keep there hands warm but since brawl doesn't have any of that I guess they mainly just do it out of habit now after playing melee for so long.
I can't believe it took ten posts for this answer to pop up. I was a Yoshi main back in Melee, and it was almost integral to keep my hands warm by Double-Jump Cancelling Uairs and Nairs in between stocks. A taunt would be fine at the end of the entire match, but any taunt during a match would probably one used very well.

And... I dunno, I've seen videos where the "pros" taunt. It may not be as often as "non-pro" players, but they still do.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I've seen lot's of videos of the Pro's and yeah they don't really taunt all I see is them short hopping around I assume it's part of their momentum and trying to keep that mentality, practically like a warm up after a kill. They probably do taunt each other in person though but it might be a maybe.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
There are better things to do than taunting...

Here are a few.

Pull out a Bomb or Turnup'
Charge your Charge Shot or Gyro
Plant some mines
Do a Falcon Punch.....
DDD crouch....

and much much more....

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
most taunts suck
there are only a few taunts that are worth doing imo

such as luigi--hee heh hoo hah huh
or peach la la la la la la

I've seen lot's of videos of the Pro's and yeah they don't really taunt all I see is them short hopping around I assume it's part of their momentum and trying to keep that mentality, practically like a warm up after a kill. They probably do taunt each other in person though but it might be a maybe.
noo, thats the pro's version of taunting
one of the reasons that competitive smash is popular is because pros did technical stuff like that in between stocks. it made noobs on youtube gasp in amazement

in melee though, show me ya moves was part of the combo though. upair, upair, knee, taunt

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Pro smashers play Captain Falcon, taunt half of the time and falcon punch the other half.

And every time they falcon punch, they hit.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
If you're a character without a charge, or if you have an annoying taunt, then taunting is essential for negatively effecting your opponent's psyche. Probably.

"You're too slow!", "Pikaaaa", "Ohkay." or "COMEOUN!" are some of the more effective examples.

Plus taunting makes you look way sexier, and gamers need all the sexier they can get.

Nintendood

Smash Cadet
I'm no pro, but i can assume that taunting takes up uneccecary time for advanced players who play the game by utilizing how to most effecticly time their moves. In the eyes of those who compete for real, i can see taunting as being unnessecary animation.

I taunt when i get the chance though.

"Come on! Step it up!"

Samochan

Smash Master
People just don't wanna use taunts that aren't "show me your moves" from captain falcon after a killer combo in melee. Anything else is too lame in comparison.

You know, critical hit for massive damage. :p

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
because it is not necessary for them to do so, unless it's a REALLY EPIC battle, then it's unlikely to see one happen during a pro tourney match, pro's rather spam or in Melee's case, use such tech's such as wavedash before re-spawn's.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
there was one video when captain jack giant punched some guy (maybe masashi) and taunted with dk 3 times before he died :p

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
people taunt with "guaranteed victory" so usually look at the last kill

Top Bottom