• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me or does every character in the game look viable?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've been watching videos of Smash 4 nonstop and I have to say I'm impressed.

Every character seems good. Like I've seen R.O.B. played and he is amazing. Along with King Dedede, Luigi, and Bowser Jr. they look really good and will most likely see more play time.

Even weaker looking characters like Little Mac and Ganondorf don't look that bad, and could be refined to be viable. I could definitely see someone have a breakthrough with Little Mac and becoming top tier.

I can't wait for the future of this game.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The game still doesn't have a defined metagame yet, so only time will tell. But yes, I feel the same way. Whilst I have seen some rather underwhelming characters *coughLittleMaccough*, I have yet to see a character that just screams "unviable" to me.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>little mac
>weak

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
>little mac
>weak
At the moment he is weak because he has piss poor recovery.

But he does hit like a truck filled with trucks.

That's why I think he will become huge once someone masters him.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
>little mac
>weak
Not weak in terms of strength, but he just seems too linear and to be blunt, kind of easy to punish compared to most characters. He needs more options (having borderline unusable aerials certainly doesn't help matters).
Also this. Throw offstage -> Aerial attack -> Profit.

Marth/Lucina is also a "linear" character in my eyes, but (s)he at least has a sword and better recovery.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Not weak in terms of strength, but he just seems too linear and to be blunt, kind of easy to punish compared to most characters. He needs more options (having borderline unusable aerials certainly doesn't help matters).

Marth/Lucina is also a "linear" character in my eyes, but (s)he at least has a sword and better recovery.
One of the things I see people who are trying out Little Mac is that they jump.

Don't ever f%$king jump with Little Mac.

There is no reason to jump. You are vulnerable and your aerials are horrible.

Keep to the ground ALWAYS.

Also I believe his Neutral B has super armor and people don't utilize it, maybe I'm wrong though.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
A lot of Melee's top tiers had piss poor recoveries, yet they're still top tier/viable.
Even with a bad air game, mac certainly isn't "weak"

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
A lot of Melee's top tiers had piss poor recoveries, yet they're still top tier/viable.
Even with a bad air game, mac certainly isn't "weak"
That's true, but that was Melee. Smash 4 is Smash 4.

Where almost everyone can recover from anywhere, especially with the new Ledge mechanics.

I'm not hating on Little Mac. I think he will be a great character overtime, but his recovery is horrible right now. You seen the streams right? His Up-B goes no where and his side-b is only a little bit better. If you go an inch under the stage you are a goner.

Last edited:

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
It's probably just the hope talking, you'll be fine in a few months.

Just kidding, but yeah. I'm feeling dangerous enough to say I have high hopes. The custom moves have me especially jazzed. Just the idea of EVERYONE potentially having 4 decent specials is enough for me.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It's probably just the hope talking, you'll be fine in a few months.

Just kidding, but yeah. I'm feeling dangerous enough to say I have high hopes. The custom moves have me especially jazzed. Just the idea of EVERYONE potentially having 4 decent specials is enough for me.
There is an custom up special for Jiggs that replaces her worthless lullaby with a move that works like Mario's cape.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
From what I've heard, Zelda and Sonic are the only two that really come to mind as possibly unviable, and even that is a little 'strong'. Like you said, most feel viable, but I think that's mainly because most characters now have "niches" that make me unique. Niches that, when mastered, will be hard to handle. Things like Rosalina's puppeting, Mac's ground-and-pound, Shulk's stances, Robin's fluctuating strength, PAC-man's disjointed hit boxes, mga-man's zoning harass (moreso than samus), Shiek's return to melee-physics, DHD's ability to taunt others without needing to taunt, Olimar's pikmin, Marth's tipping, Etc.. You can go on and on..

In addition, there were many necessary buffs, such as Rob, Link, G&W, Bowser.. I feel like ssb4's meta-game will be more focused on matches, not entirely skill and strategery.

However, I can definitely see Shiek and Bowser Jr as top-tier. Shiek for obvious reasons, and B Jr with him being one of the heaviest characters with a small frame, decent speed, good recovery, great zoning harass, and fantastic aerials. He will be a handful..

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet

...Kidding. Hopefully this game is better balanced and I can play as my beloved Ganondorf without fear.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633

...Kidding. Hopefully this game is better balanced and I can play as my beloved Ganondorf without fear.
Oh Syndrome why must you be so smart? Joking aside at least I can play as Ganondorf without having to master a new moveset.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Other than maybe Little Mac, Charizard, and Ganondorf, pretty much every character I've watched on ZeRo's stream from either his side or the opponent has performed well: Captain Falcon, Bowser, Jigglypuff, Ness, Duck Hunt Dog, Dark Pit, Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Marth, Lucina, Sheik, Mega Man, Zero Suit Samus, King Dedede, Robin, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Greninja, Lucario, and even Yoshi and Sonic.

I'm sure some characters' inherent flaws will emerge over time or we'll find some really terrible matchups that ruin a character's viability. But for now, yeah, things are looking really good.

Last edited:

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
How do Link and Ike look? Shulk seems amazing, and I'm a little sad about Little Mac. How light is he? All that muscle has to do something to make him heavier. I might actually main Bowser considering his buffs.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How do Link and Ike look? Shulk seems amazing, and I'm a little sad about Little Mac. How light is he? All that muscle has to do something to make him heavier. I might actually main Bowser considering his buffs.
Link is very good. He can windbox combo with his boomerang. His new Dash Attack is very good.

I haven't seen much Ike.

Little Mac is near the middle to light heavy class.

He isn't Jiggs, but he can be hit pretty far.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Here's a pretty good video I've seen of Ike:

Looks solid up close but I feel his recovery will really bite him when players get more aggressive with gimping.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Looks solid up close but I feel his recovery will really bite him when players get more aggressive with gimping.
Did you SEE his custom up b? It goes diagonal!

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525

He always has his side B if he was launched more diagonally than out, but he's a heavyweight so that's a little unlikely...

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Did anyone just SEE that ROB vs DHD match between Chibo and RJ?

This is the future of Smash, so hype!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace

Well, at least Meta Knight's Up B's base knockback was reduced. Shouldn't OHKO Ike when used near the ledge (or anywhere on stage for that matter) anymore.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Ganon, Link, Ike, Falco, Lucina, Diddy Kong, Samus, Little mac, and Bowser Jr. all suck. GG thread.

We know nothing about the game yet. Its not very accurate to say everyone is good.

Everyone

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Ganon, Link, Ike, Falco, Lucina, Diddy Kong, Samus, and Bowser Jr. all suck. GG thread.
I know half of those are just wrong.

Link is good, Ike is good, Samus and Bowser Jr. are both good.

Not sure about the rest.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I know half of those are just wrong.

Link is good, Ike is good, Samus and Bowser Jr. are both good.

Not sure about the rest.
Nope.

A lot of the bad characters got buffed. But so did a lot of the good characters. This is all speculation though. Its not like either of us have played the full game.

I just know I've gotten 5 kills of off a lvl 9 Link in 2 minutes when I was Mario multiple times. other characters its harder to for me to kill that many times. Link isn't very good imo.

Mario is super good though,

Not like either of us know anything about the full game though. Since its only been out less than a week in a country neither of us live in hahaha.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Nope.

A lot of the bad characters got buffed. But so did a lot of the good characters. This is all speculation though. Its not like either of us have played the full game.

I just know I've gotten 5 kills of off a lvl 9 Link in 2 minutes when I was Mario multiple times. other characters its harder to for me to kill that many times. Link isn't very good imo.

Mario is super good though.
Cause Level 9 CPUs can beat the pros?

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Cause Level 9 CPUs can beat the pros?
This is all speculation though. Its not like either of us have played the full game.
This^^^

Also no one is a pro just yet. The game hasn't been out long enough for anyone to be "good" at it. Everyone is just playing from Smash Bros fundamentals for the most part. That's not really a good reason to think everyone is good. Though that's likely the reason it looks like everyone is good.

There isn't enough info about characters weaknesses other than glaring ones.
:4littlemac:

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

That's really ironic since even though boxers work with like 5 moves: jabs, straights, hooks, uppercuts, and overcuts, they're generally very deceptive and can pull off combos on the fly. Having bad aerials makes sense and acts as a balance for his powerful ground game, but a boxer who's linear really takes away from his ground game especially in a world where people can shoot fireballs, cast spells, use futuristic gear, and are superhuman. For an example of someone like Little Mac: Ike's great on ground, but he has range and decent air game.

Last edited:

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
CPUs aren't the best judge, may I direct you to Luigi doing nothing in Melee and somehow killing every character, including Fox 5 times? It took almost 100 for Samus and about 12 for the Ice Climbers. CPUs are idiots. The KOing might have something to do with weight, Link isn't the heaviest, but Ike and Ganondorf are heavy so what you're saying has some truth.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
CPUs aren't the best judge, may I direct you to Luigi doing nothing in Melee and somehow killing every character, including Fox 5 times? It took almost 100 for Samus and about 12 for the Ice Climbers. CPUs are idiots. The KOing might have something to do with weight, Link isn't the heaviest, but Ike and Ganondorf are heavy so what you're saying has some truth.
Comparing AI between games? Melee AI was terrible. Brawl AI is really good imo. I literally have a hard time killing them in Brawl. Brawl AI is super difficult. I've been playing Brawl for a long time now. Recently got 1st in a tourney and still have difficulty beating lvl 9's with some characters. In Smash 4 a game with supposedly better AI than Brawl? Getting 5 stocks off of a character in 2 minutes? Idk dude. But then again...

Games not out yet. Just speculation.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Ganon, Link, Ike, Falco, Lucina, Diddy Kong, Samus, Little mac, and Bowser Jr. all suck. GG thread.

We know nothing about the game yet. Its not very accurate to say everyone is good.

Everyone
I agree that it's way too early to make tiers.
But after watching many streams, and hearing a lot of opinions, everyone does seems VIABLE, and by that i mean that there's no one who is so blatantly bad like Dorf in Brawl.
The way aerials work in this game make it so that all characters have a decent air game (except for Little Mac), since the only aerials that have a lot of lag are the most powerful ones, such as Falcon's knee, Falco's Dair, Mario's Fair, etc...
That along with the buff of rolling, and the return of decent hitstun makes everyone seem at least capable of keeping the pace with other characters, as well as having some decent combos.
Heck even Ganondorf could keep a good pacing against ZSS in a match i saw, wich wasn't casual or anything.
So while in the end there will inevitably be characters that are better than others, no one seems to downright SUCK this time around.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I agree that it's way too early to make tiers.
But after watching many streams, and hearing a lot of opinions, everyone does seems VIABLE, and by that i mean that there's no one who is so blatantly bad like Dorf in Brawl.
The way aerials work in this game make it so that all characters have a decent air game (except for Little Mac), since the only aerials that have a lot of lag are the most powerful ones, such as Falcon's knee, Falco's Dair, Mario's Fair, etc...
That along with the buff of rolling, and the return of decent hitstun makes everyone seem at least capable of keeping the pace with other characters, as well as having some decent combos.
Heck even Ganondorf could keep a good pacing against ZSS in a match i saw, wich wasn't casual or anything.
So while in the end there will inevitably be characters that are better than others, no one seems to downright SUCK this time around.
Characters may not totally suck (yet) but there are characters that are blatantly good. (as of right now):4mario::4zss::4bowser::4dedede:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Okay, I need help from SmashBoards members.

I need to find videos of GOOD PLAYERS (aka people that don't suck) using Kirby and Duck Hunt Dog.

I MUST KNOW IF THEY'RE VIABLE OR NOT!

Weeman

Smash Crusader

I need to find videos of GOOD PLAYERS (aka people that don't suck) using Kirby and Duck Hunt Dog.

Check Shofu's twitch right now, some guy is using Kirby and he's good.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

not really the thread for this. There's a social thread I'm sure you know about.

Go watch VGBC's stream. DHD I hear is the new Diddy/Snake. So that's good. They play a lot of Duck Hunt Dog.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

I think RJ played DH on ClashTournament and he is very strong. Imagine Snake, but 10x more zoning potential.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
not really the thread for this. There's a social thread I'm sure you know about.

Go watch VGBC's stream. DHD I hear is the new Diddy/Snake. So that's good. They play a lot of Duck Hunt Dog.
Thank youuu~

Also, sorry for going off-topic.

ON-TOPIC:

I haven't seen any characters that are complete crap yet, which is great. Even characters like Ganondorf can get kills. While I'm sure there'll still be characters that are better than others, this is by far the best balancing done in any Smash Bros. game.

Top Bottom