• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it necessary to...

-Esper-

Smash Rookie
short hop to really use Sheik to her full potential? I've been lurking around the Sheik board for a while watching/reading up on all the Sheik techs. In most, if not all, of the videos of I see short hopping. I know how to short hop, but when I try do it, it works maybe once everyone 10 times and it gets rather frustrating.

I like to think I'm pretty good because I win 95% of my matches between my group of friends (They're pretty decent at the game). But I know I make a lot of mistakes and want to know if learning to use short hop effectively, will improve my Sheik greatly.

Squidster

Smash Ace
1) Yes... learning to have complete control over your character / the physics of the game in general makes you exponentially better. Couple things that can make it easier
a) Use x / y rather than the joystick.
b) To quote another thread, think "button = hot frying pan." You want to RELEASE the button as quickly as possible
c) some people find it easier to just flick the bottom of the x button. With practice however, you'll be able to just tap the button

2) Sheik specifically benefits lots because of her amazingly quick areals and ability to autocancel (cancel lag by finishing attack before landing) When you can short hop -> areal -> ground attack consistently its the best form of pressure

3) Heres some basic physics of the game that you should commit yourself to learning
a) Short hop
b) Fast falling (from short hop, from full hop, while doing an attack, etc)
c) Dash dancing (though risks tripping, i still find it VERY useful and it makes you very unpredictable)
d) Shield grabbing (don't think that you have to drop your shield to punish someone who just hit you. Grab him by hitting A while shielding)
e) Chain tether (for sheik) Learn how to chain cancel, return quickly, and how to recover in general.

4) Welcome to smashboards, yay first post

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Short hopping really is not hard in this game. Just practice the light fingering.

Melee's SH was something to complain about, but not Brawl's. >.>

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
without short hopping, your opponent can see your aerial from miles away, harder to hit your opponent with aerials, easier for your opponent to punish with shield grabs and higher priority attacks

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It's like the difference between rolling and spot-dodging.

You can avoid an attack just like a jump, but you can counter MUCH quicker if you short hop. Plus, shorthopping+fast-falling makes it like a billion times easier to connect sweetspots.

It's not that hard really. Just slide your finger off the X/Y button to the left to do an aerial, or slide it down to just shorthop.

-Esper-

Smash Rookie
I use the buttons to jump, but I guess I'll just practice it a little more thanks for the feedback.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Practice releasing the button as fast as you can. It helps if you try to immediately do an aerial (either with the c-stick or the a button) upon jumping, as fast as you can. This requires you to move your thumb from the jump button to the attack button, which should release it quick enough.

As for how necessary it is:
Very much so. Shorthopped aerials allow you to hit grounded opponents with aerials immediately upon leaving the ground. You also land much faster from a shorthopped aerial than a fullhopped one, allowing ground and air moves to be integrated fully, which is very necessary to do things like Nair/Bair/Fair into Tilt Lock.
It's also necessary to shorthop in order to perform the Chain Jacket, but that's difficult to perform anyways, so shouldn't be your top priority.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
learn how to fake(not to much).. is an important mindgame.. what it is . you a l-canceled air and dont hit them. and hit them with a different attack like dashattack or down tilts. (use downtilts cause they have a lot of range if they are kind of close) occassional ftilt lock. or just charge your needles.

Dash dancing. is kind of stupid in brawl. for long periods of time. what is useful is kind of dashdancing but its a short period dash the other way real quick and go towards the opponent. or just run away from your opponent

ALSO LEARN HOW TO FOX TROT. dont do it to often. just do it between your fakes and w/e

BEST THING I LEARNED FROM SHEIK is USING YOUR CSTICK to do AIRS. works wonders.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
Melee's SH was something to complain about, but not Brawl's.
Dude seriously, when I play melee I only play lightning melee and I have no problem SH'ing with even the most sensitive of characters. (coughfoxcough) And yet I've only been playing melee heavily for only about a month now so don't even BS here with that non sense. SH'ing is easy in all 3 games.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude seriously, when I play melee I only play lightning melee and I have no problem SH'ing with even the most sensitive of characters. (coughfoxcough) And yet I've only been playing melee heavily for only about a month now so don't even BS here with that non sense. SH'ing is easy in all 3 games.
Tell that to people who genuinely can't get the SH down in Melee, as there are plenty. There's no denying the fact that there is 33% more time in frames to get a successful SH in Brawl than in Melee, thus making it easier by a significant factor. You otherwise sound like a tool who's stroking the e-peen for what appears to be no helpful reason.

-Esper-

Smash Rookie
I've started to get the hang of Short hopping, it is working wonders. Its added a few more hits to some of my combos and also dodging projectiles/fsmashs/etc. Thanks again guys.

Top Bottom