• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible for a more Aggressive duck hunt Playstyle?

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
Ever since the 3ds leak I KNEW i wanted to use this character. I LOVE animals in real life so naturally i want to use him. But his run away "spamming" projectiles playstyle lured me away. is it possible to be an aggressive duck hunt?(with only a few projectiles) yeah, i know im a oddball. I would to love to hear any tips.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
You're putting it way to simply, making it sound as if all duck hunt does is throw projectiles for no good reason. He's all about conditioning and mind games, you can play him aggressively but you need to understand the purpose of his moves. You can play him aggressively but to a certain extent since he doesn't have the same tools as some of the other aggressive characters like sheik diddy luigi etc. Here's an example of an aggressive duck hunt player that's also really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-2Ss7vG3c

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
You're putting it way to simply, making it sound as if all duck hunt does is throw projectiles for no good reason. He's all about conditioning and mind games, you can play him aggressively but you need to understand the purpose of his moves. You can play him aggressively but to a certain extent since he doesn't have the same tools as some of the other aggressive characters like sheik diddy luigi etc. Here's an example of an aggressive duck hunt player that's also really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-2Ss7vG3c
i do know the purpose of his moves, i was just curious. i know he has a lot of good options and i did not mean it like that.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I came in to this thread expecting Brood, I am not disappointed. And yes, Duck Hunt can be aggressive, in fact, Duck Hunt needs to have a strong aggressive game, due to his poor KO options sooner or later he needs to go in. Duck Hunt is about adapting, if you do not play aggressively, you will not get far. Yes, you also need a strong defensive game, but staying at one side of the stage and throwing out projectiles is an incredibly weak strategy that people will get past once you start playing against strong players.

Last edited:

CobaltJustice

Smash Cadet
NNID
CobaltJustice
Aggressive Duck Hunt is totally possible, it's actually how I play him. I like to switch up between throwing projectiles and running in and attacking. The recent tourney that VG BootCamp held featured an amazing Duck Hunt player who mixed it up perfectly.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I went up against a pretty aggressive Duck Hunt today. It's not something I anticipated. I think bad Duck Hunt's will just camp and spam. The one in the video posted here played slightly different than the one I went up against. Pretty much the same tactic of creating a barrier and moving in when the opponent makes a bad mistake, but he used a lot more clay disks and utilized the can in various ways by throwing me into them rather than just hoping the can would fall on me. I dropped DH earlier on as well, because at one point, I thought it was just camp and spam tactics. At that time, people hadn't really delved his potential playstyle.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
DH can definitely be played aggressively. Aggressive rushdown is my MO, and it's what I try to do with every single character, no matter how unfit they are at doing so, even with the likes of :4rob: & :4samus: & :4villager:.

While DH's Cans, Clays, and Gunmen appear to lean towards UMVC3 Morrigan/Dr.Doom/Whoever (probably Vergil) styled lameouts (and in some MUs like against Bowser & Ganondorf, they definitely CAN be used that way), they also can be used to provide self-made cover fire for when you DO approach opponents. From fastest to slowest in terms of simply coming out (not necessarily able to hit opponents directly, per se), as well as the proper order of throwing out without self-destructing Clays: Gunmen, Cans, Clays. In terms of hitboxes coming out: Cans, Clays, Gunmen. To an extent, the dog can be an anti-zoner character like :4falco: as well as an actual zoner character like :4pacman:, due to how much his own arsenal can protect him from the opponents' arsenal, like Shadow Balls, Charge Shots, and Flare Blitzes, among others. Said protection is also how he can get in on some of the most fortified of camps that the likes of the :4link:/:4tlink:, :4miigun: (3312/3322), and :4megaman: will try to put up.

Shorthopping towards the opponent with the Can and Gunmen out there is a pretty intimidating position for the opponent to confront.
The opponent blocks a Gunman's shot? Staying in shield because of the Can itself? That's a free grab, aerial, or even simply an opening for you to "get in". Land a whole shot-up Clay? Pursue a juggle with multiple FAirs.

You don't even need the projectiles themselves to hit in order to gain an advantageous position with them. They are quite useful at cutting off some of the opponent's approaching directions. See your opponent taking to the air? Go air-to-air with them with your own FAir or Clay, or wait for them to come to you with either an aerial or an empty jump when you're shielding and guard cancel into a grab/USmash/aerial/Up 2 (Snag) of your own. Read a roll? Spot them airdodging onto the ground or trying to disable your projectiles without taking notice of you? Go in for the punish.

Brood's definitely a player to watch if you're wanting to play DH more aggressively. I myself have posted a couple replays in the FG rooms in both the 3DS and Wii U versions under the name "Sploosh", especially FG Teams where I aggressively rushdown the other team with the dog right alongside my teammate. There have been exceptions, like the "LeftsideDefense!" vid, where not blocking off Trainer's Headers at key moments led to devastation for my Pac-Man teammate...

With Customs, there's Neutral 3, Down 2 or 3, and Up 2 that get to join Side 1. :>

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
The good thing about our lovable dog is that you have the option to play aggressive or defensive, it is all situational. Force your opponent to make mistakes and capitalize!

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
one of the pains in the *ss to remember is that his moves are almost entirely meant to cover each other, do if one piece of the machine doesn't work, the whole thing falls apart. He has laggy aerials, but there should be a bullet or a can dissuading punishes. His projectiles aren't suited to walling. But you have disjointed moves to make someone regret it. He lacks ko power but (in theory, not so much in practice) you should be racking up so much damage it Doesn't matter.

I'm learning now that I've put Duck Hunt on the back end that he has nothing to count on bit perfect play. With Villager I can harass someone with slingshots or challenge them with turnips or go deep offstage with comparatively little worry. With Duck Hunt, if something is off, everything is a lot bigger gamble than with other people because his kit is undertuned in certain key parts. (Kill setups, functioning smashes, recovery).

Sorry if I sound mildly bitter.

punkonjunk

Smash Cadet
NNID
punkonjunk
3DS FC
3480-2775-5641
Switch FC
Sw-7819-1079-8971
while the randomness of the smashes can be a HUGE pain in my ass - I've literally seen them just miss folks all set up to punish, side smash will at least occasionally just go around someone really close to you.

While he can't go deep - the can and the disc can, and both have good control and are pretty unpredictable to opponents, especially with so few DHD mains - I don't know how this will play in the long haul, but right now, it's a big advantage - the stuff brood does offstage with cans is an excellent example.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I lay out a can or gunmen before charging in for a grab right out of the gates and usually always keep the pressure on, especially in the air. Clay pigeons and gunmen are an excellent way to get reset before moving back in for a jab or grab. It's also easy to get people conditioned to think you're another spammy DHD by throwing out 2-3 clay pigeons before getting them airborne and abusing them with uair/fair.

Top Bottom