• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is it possible to play with no lag?

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
by lag i mean 'reaction time' lag.

when you push x, your char doest jump till like 14 frames later, that's the kind of lag im talking about.

i have a great connection, great router, even an ethernet to usb transmitter for maximum connection, but i still have this reaction time lag. (which is really annoying if you are playing a spammy zelda or pit cause your dodges and blocks and attacks dont register in time.)

Nymphetamine

Smash Apprentice
i play with this one guy that has a Blue lag bar and i never seen better online games there is almost no delay at all. but this is only 1 person out of 40ish

Thousand Eyes

Smash Rookie
It depends on how far away you are from the person. Which is something to keep in mind when you add someone to your friends list. If you're close to the person (I've seen a match from towns that were about as distant as LA and Las Vegas that don't lag) you'll run with no or almost no lag at all. I've had matches with people from Kentucky that were running fine and I'm in central PA.

PooPman845

Smash Rookie
Im getting the same problrem myself and its even with people that live generally close to me. Im hoping that nintendo will try and fix the problem though and im also thinking of buying a lan adapter anyone have any feed back on those?

DoritoXI

Smash Cadet
I think in some cases connection is more important then the distance. I've played with a few people in California(I live in PA) and the lag was not bad at all, but then I connect to my friend who lives right down the street and we have the most horrible lag you'll ever see because he has terrible connection(he uses a neighbors wifi and has a very weak signal). I also do suggest buying a lan adapter, if you have your lan adapter in and your lagging you'll know it's the other person causing lag and to not play with them.

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I think DoritoXI is right.
I've done some tourneys where most of the people are from California, Oregon, other west coast states, and I had a green/light orange ping with them.
In other cases, I had friends who live in the same city who have a dark orange ping, so lag probably depends on the connection for both of the players.
Another thing that slightly helps is if you and the person you're playing against both have their Wii's DMZed or have the port thingy going on, that stuff can be found in: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155378

XERAMPELINAE

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but it is not for many. I've been observing the nature of lag, but I still don't get how the online service works so I just gave up. I usually experience lag from friends living in the same city and people living in my own state, yet I've played other friends and people that live in different states and even in Canada and Mexico with zero lag.

In any case, one of the tips that people never mention is that you should NOT play online with a GC Wavebird. Lose it if you use it. If that is not the case, try following other tips or wait until the connections strengthens with your friends-- do so by playing a few matches with that certain person and, eventually, lag (may) go away and the color (may) turn to yellow-green-blue.
Good Luck.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it's very possible to play lagless online.

A little circle of people I play against have combinations of green and blue lag indicators, and we've actually gone as far as a lagless 2v2 team battle. The input lag is very subtle, and not much of a detrimental issue for me.

Thee Che-Ko

Smash Rookie
the lag has been butchering my brawl fun for a while. people need new connections or faster internet. its like that "slow down time" clock only its like not...lol. lag sucks

moshen

Smash Rookie
Im getting the same problem myself and its even with people that live generally close to me. Im hoping that nintendo will try and fix the problem though and im also thinking of buying a lan adapter anyone have any feed back on those?
I would highly recommend using a LAN adapter if possible. I play a friend online who also has a LAN adapter and the input delay is almost completely negated. I do not understand the posts on this form saying things like "wires are lame", when WIFI inherently adds latency to ANY online game.

If you play any other competitive online games such as TF2 or CS then you should know that playing over WIFI introduces lag and irregularity to your connection. Also, since it has been proven that other wireless devices that are spread spectrum ( like xbox 360 controllers, household wireless phones and microwaves ) have the ability to completely disrupt WIFI connections I am surprised that there hasn't been more of an uproar that nintendo wants you to spend an extra $30 to get a stable connection.

Got a little ranty there... sorry about that. :)

Top Bottom