• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it true that Dark Samus might be a "Echo"es Character in Smash Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
It seems logical that they would. People say they took the alt skin off in the smash ultimate demo.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I didn't mention any other type of beam, just changing the aesthetics of the existing charge shot. They could make numeric changes to its attributes so that it has different behaviors, but a totally different projectile is out of the question for a straight clone / echo. I don't know if you were criticizing or suggesting.
I took "particles" to mean a scattershot variant. My mistake.

Pretty sure that hunching over is a part of Dark Samus' many animations in combat, at least in Prime 2. I don't remember Prime 3 as clearly. But I don't think it's silly for a villain born of bloodlust and radioactive sci-fi death substance to have altered animations reflecting a villainous personality. Either way, changes to animations would be necessary. Not really a compelling debate to be had here, bottom line is Dark Samus' personality needs to be portrayed correctly in the animation.
The hunch appears to be only present when Dark Samus hovers in the third battle.

First battle
Second battle
Third battle
Final battle

For some reason I could recall that Dark Samus had a cracked visor but I can't find a screenshot. So I think that's a valid correction. But the toes are important; Dark Samus is an organic being, not a creature in a suit. The toes show that Dark Samus' form is actually the suit itself, which is why it has toes that flex and move as if they are its feet. Pretty sure Retro studios was seeing it this way when designing. Again I could be wrong and I love being corrected when it is valid.
Dark Samus had her face exposed in a skeletal form, which made her look unsettling. I think it'd be cool to have that as an alternate palette for Dark Samus. As for the toes, I suppose Dark Samus could have the toes, but in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, that's completely gone. It appears she can change her form.

For the same reason scattershot couldn't happen as you pointed out earlier. Are we talking echo character or semi-clone? I was talking about an echo character, which means same grab but different visuals and data. Is this clear? If Dark Samus was a semi-clone or even a completely fresh moveset, then they could do literally whatever they wanted with the grab. They could also do scattershot, big seismic phazon tentacle waves, etc. C'mon dude, consistency.
I was being consistent. I mistook what you meant by "particles".

I couldn't tell if you were being aggressive or just adding on to what I said, but I did want to point these out. :shyguy:
I knew I should have put a disclaimer about not taking my disagreements personally. I apologize for sounding aggressive.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well, I dunno, Ridley supporters kept on fighting to the bitter end even when Sakurai himself spoke against making him playable.
Dark Samus received no such unconfirmation, yet the mere mention of a new term for clones seems to be enough proof for most that
that is exactly what Dark Samus will be? It's not like the Ridley supporters immediately started considering him an echo of Charizard or something
like that.

I understand tempering one's expectations, but nothing about that announcement states that she can't be a semi-clone or something else
entirely.
It's only logical, Ridley appeared since the first Metroid game 30 years ago and in almost all games of the franchise, making him the most deserving and the most supported.

Dark Samus has the potential to be a unique character or at least a semi-clone, but just the way she looks, her name itself puts her immediately in the "clone zone" and i think most Dark Samus supporter understand that.
Echo characters seem to made people more accepting of clones and i'm not against it, again, if she receives a proper treatment in terms of taunts, victory, and hopefully a floating run animation i'll gladly take it.

To be honest i just want to play as a character named Samus without having to be reminded of Other M, i just can't let it go, sorry.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think it harkens back to some stuff I've said in the Lucina forum:

Yeah, fans of her know that she has so much else behind her to become an entirely unique character, but from Sakurai's perspective sometimes he's looking for a quick and easy character to add and if there's a thematic reason for it (their identity is partially drawn from an existing fighter) then it makes sense for him to implement them in that manner.

Charizard and Ridley never had anything in common aside from both technically being 'dragon like'. Even in a Falcondorf situation they don't have the same body shape, and that hasn't been how Sakurai's done clones since Melee.

On the other hand Dark Samus draws part of its identity from mimicking Samus in one way or another (much like Lucina did Marth, Dark Pit does Pit and even Toon Link kinda does Link). It's much harder to argue that it's an invalid method of implementing them into the game, despite the fact that we know she (and all of them) are capable of being much more than that.

At the end of the day there's rarely going to be an interesting character that should be a clone. Some fans are just going to be more willing to see them implemented that way and hope that they get their luigification (or sword for Smash attacks).

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Found this video...not sure how the creator of this video sees this as a 'script' with 'lines' but this showcases several scenes of Dark Samus's behaviour.

Can give people some indication of some of her possible animations and taunts, as well as her possible star KO cry.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeah, most people, including Sakurai, know that all clones should have their own unique movesets, or at least as unique as the difference between Fox and Falco nowadays. But in the end, it all comes down to time and resources. There were so many clones in Melee because that game had a 13 month development cycle and Sakurai (and likely others on the team) had to crunch like madmen to finish the game at all. Either Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, etc. were made into clones, or they wouldn't be in the game at all.

Ultimate is different, since its development is much healthier, but with a cast of 63 returning characters, all of whom are getting tweaked, a small amount of completely new characters is obviously expected. Clones require less work, but still get some fan favorites in the game at least. The echo fighters from Smash 4 (and Dr. Mario) started as alternate costumes for their respective characters, until Sakurai and the team realized they could just tweak them a little bit and make them whole new fighters for just a little more work. Samus had a Dark Samus alt color in Smash 4, and it's gone now, so we're all hoping that means they took the color or potential alt costume out to gear up for a Dark Samus echo fighter.

Dark Samus isn't getting any more relevant as the years go by (it's been over 10 years since Metroid Prime 3!), so if she doesn't show up now, she probably never will, unless whoever takes over Smash after Sakurai happens to make that reach. Part of me thinks that Sakurai might see the irony of making Dark Samus an echo fighter, given the title of her debut game, so I have a lot of hope. But even if Dark Samus doesn't show up, we got Ridley, and he looks perfect, so that's a victory for us Metroid fans at least.

However, if Dark Samus happens, the laugh better be a taunt.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
All I got to say is if this is true I hope it gets the look it had in two and not three.

The way it looked in echoes was more unique imo

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I wouldn't mind 3 as a base so long as the updated it to fit the game a bit better. The Assist Trophy wasn't bad but it felt stiff (especially using Samus' animations)

My honest preferred choice would be a brand new design that incorporates elements of both 2 and 3, or even its own new thing (ala Ridley)

Colololin

Smash Cadet
The only reason is fanservice, really. Daisy is in Smash because she has fans and adding her wasn't as time consuming as adding a brand new character. Same goes for Lucina in Smash 4. Extremely popular character among Nintendo and of course, Fire Emblem fans.

Now, I will be the first to admit Dark Samus is far from being a fan favorite, BUT she is the title character from the most popular Metroid series, Metroid Prime. Whether one prefers Prime or traditional games, it is no secret that Prime games are more popular. Just look at how much people hyped the announcement of Metroid Prime 4. Now, is that a reason to add Dark Samus as an echo fighter? Absolutely not. But it can happen.
Seems legit. Dark Samus was the most popular Metroid character after Ridley and probably would have placed second in the ballot in that franchise. Sure she is only popular with Metroid fans but Sylux has only overtaken her because he has more moveset potential and has been pushed more since the ballot opened but at the time she absolutely was popular.

Plus we don't know for sure if she is dead. She is assumed dead because her body was made of phazon but arguably she could have been "cured" in the same way Samus was but thats just speculation. Downplaying her popularity is an insult. Right now she would be third because Sylux took over but she absolutely IS a fan favourite and there would have been people voting for her because some Metroid fans took Sakurai at his word that Ridley wouldn't work and settled for second best.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sure she is only popular with Metroid fans but Sylux has only overtaken her because he has more moveset potential and has been pushed more since the ballot opened but at the time she absolutely was popular.
Dark Samus can be given a pretty good move set as well. I haven't seen enough Sylux to get the same impression. Maybe it's because I haven't played Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Plus we don't know for sure if she is dead. She is assumed dead because her body was made of phazon but arguably she could have been "cured" in the same way Samus was but thats just speculation.
Possible, since she was originally a Metroid, but it seems unlikely.

Downplaying her popularity is an insult. Right now she would be third because Sylux took over but she absolutely IS a fan favourite and there would have been people voting for her because some Metroid fans took Sakurai at his word that Ridley wouldn't work and settled for second best.
I would have voted for Dark Samus. I would vote for her if Ridley wasn't going to be added. She can be given a move set that sets her apart from Samus while maintaining a very Metroid feel. This is the impression people got when I made up my Dark Samus move set in Make Your Move. I don't see the appeal in Sylux. I never found the character to be even remotely interesting.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
I wouldn't mind 3 as a base so long as the updated it to fit the game a bit better. The Assist Trophy wasn't bad but it felt stiff (especially using Samus' animations)

My honest preferred choice would be a brand new design that incorporates elements of both 2 and 3, or even its own new thing (ala Ridley)
I’m really curious about what her palette swaps would be, regardless of which base design they might choose. Would they be direct references to other games or suits like we see with Samus? Or maybe alternate costumes like her final form in Prime 2.

edit: She could have four palette swaps that were primarily black, with colored accents that reference the Metroid Prime bossfight (purple accents for the wave beam, red for plasma, etc).

Last edited:

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Dark Samus can be given a pretty good move set as well. I haven't seen enough Sylux to get the same impression. Maybe it's because I haven't played Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Possible, since she was originally a Metroid, but it seems unlikely.

I would have voted for Dark Samus. I would vote for her if Ridley wasn't going to be added. She can be given a move set that sets her apart from Samus while maintaining a very Metroid feel. This is the impression people got when I made up my Dark Samus move set in Make Your Move. I don't see the appeal in Sylux. I never found the character to be even remotely interesting.
I voted for Ridley because I thought it was contradictory to apply a rule to Ridley he isn't applying to the Pikmin franchise but there was a group that went along with him. If Wolf was popular on the Dojo I see no reason to believe she didn't place second for Metroid, its just her popularity is lower because it comes from Metroid fans whereas Ridley had popularity around his character.

Personally I prefer Rundas to Sylux but I do see potential in Sylux. His Shock Coil has the power to heal him and he could use the Delano in a similar fashion to Fox and Wolf using their tanks. Then he has the Lockjaw which could slide him fast across the stage. I'm thinking in Sakurai's mind frame. An echo is precisely what he'd do with Dark Samus because he's done this with others whether it made sense or not (see Ganondorf, Lucina and Falco). Because of her appearance he'd just reuse Samus' model for her and it's obvious to me but given they didn't have time to improve she would definitely be good enough for me right now. I just hope this isn't some kind of wind up being played here because an echo fighter is better than nothing at all in my mind.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I’m really curious about what her palette swaps would be, regardless of which base design they might choose. Would they be direct references to other games or suits like we see with Samus? Or maybe alternate costumes like her final form in Prime 2.

edit: She could have four palette swaps that were primarily black, with colored accents that reference the Metroid Prime bossfight (purple accents for the wave beam, red for plasma, etc).
I'm thinking Dark Samus's alts would be loosely based on the boubty hunters from Prime 3 and Hunters...since, like Dark Samus, they are all decently strong human-sized enemies that Samus encounters...

Default Black/Blue
Silvery blue/white-Rundas
Purple/Magenta-Gandrayda
Metallic grey/orange-Ghor
Dark blue/Neon green-Sylux
Red-Trace
Greenish yellow-Kanden
Brown/Yellow-Spire

Perhaps an alt that references her final appearance from Prime 2

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I thought of her having strictly Prime and other "evil Samus" references would be neat.

Transparent (Prime 2's ending, and could be its own set of costumes similar to Wire Frame Mac)
SA-X (Yeah it's more or less Samus' normal colors, albeit the design could be slightly corrupted with potentially showing the eyes on the visor as a nice touch)
Final/mutated SA-X (can obviously replace the above if it's different enough)
False/Primid Samus (Brawl/SSE, purple visor/highlights)
Metroid Prime (Dark grey coloration with either bright red or yellow highlights)
Aurora Unit 313 (Brownish grey/crimson red highlights)
Corrupted PED Suit (for the obvious reference, along with the same visor effect as the above mentioned SA-X)
Bonus Concept Art (light silver/red highlights)

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I would find it ironic that if Dark Samus is not introduced as an echo fighter, considering she made her appearance in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. However, there's good reason not to introduce her an echo fighter, because of how different she is to Samus.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They announced Dark Samus today. She looks really cool.

Shog

Smash Ace
OLNFOAUHBOFÖVUPÖURFÖBVFAHU R§=(§QHT(G=EGUN(§EQno<gHB>EN

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
They didn't show her down B...since Chrom's UpB is different than Roy's she could possibly have her boost ball instead of bombs.

I'm very satisfied, her idle animation is cool as ****, the details on her suit look awesome.

I'm just wondering, though. Will she have her laugh because they seemed to show two of her taunts but not the third taunt.

IF HER LAUGH ISN'T A TAUNT I WILL RIOT!!!!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They didn't show her down B...since Chrom's UpB is different than Roy's she could possibly have her boost ball instead of bombs.

I'm very satisfied, her idle animation is cool as ****, the details on her suit look awesome.

I'm just wondering, though. Will she have her laugh because they seemed to show two of her taunts but not the third taunt.

Nah it's still a bomb, check her site video.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Her video on the site has her still use bombs but it does look like it may have more movement to Dark Samus than it does for Samus

Reila

She looks so smooth compared to Samus. The animations, I mean.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
She's got a sick alt that shows on the smash site...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
EVERYONE,
I need to know!

Well actually, just big fans of Metroid and Donkey Kong.

I'm a little scared that Dixie Kong will get the Echo treatment....
is she more different from Diddy than Samus is from Dark Samus?

The series seem to be in the exact same state at the moment...

Reila

EVERYONE,
I need to know!

To be honest, Dark Samus is a lot more different than Samus than Dixie Kong is from Diddy Kong. Dark Samus could have two or three whole brand new movesets if they want to give it to her, but she isn't that popular so it is cool that she is at least an echo fighter. She just does a lot of stuff, and I am not even counting her original Metroid Prime form in the mix.

That being said, Dixie Kong while not as unique (within the boundaries of the comparison you made, of course) still is unique and should definitely NOT be an echo fighter. She does enough to have a brand new moveset, as you probably know.

She can still be an echo a la Chrom (who is based in more than one FE fighter), but let's hope she isn't.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
EVERYONE,
I need to know!

If they do make Dixie and Echo Fighter, take heart. Diddy's only tail using move was removed in Ultimate, and Chrom showed us that despite being a Roy echo, he uses Ike's Up B. That means Echos can be based on one character, but pull a move or two from another character to keep development time low while making them more in line with their game appearances.

So being based off Diddy while using DK's up special with an animation change for a hair twirl or borrowing another character's tether for a hair grab is now totally in the realm of possibility.

I feel good about Dixie.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I figured this would be appropriate.

– – Ship Log – –
Autopilot navigation initiated.

Destination Coordinates:
.0473, -3.43, 00.336

Planet Norion, Kalandor region

– – Life-Support Status – –
Cryogenic systems stable.
Heart rate 15 bpm.
Blood pres

Life-support anomaly detected.
Neurological readings indicat

Destination Coor\n.............. 0xFFFFFFFF NULL
^M\O...Kämpfen000DBB9A723E9FF198XBD99AF199281910
"%s (error %d)"**– –0x0000001D.................
################DANGER#####overrun^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
V o u s m o u r e z .s i v otre##9D02B9#A09F0A1
BIOSv3.0 Wii Format^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H?. (y/n)_
02984BA7D98EB098FBBA9BCO982877CB094B289A0D988207
andrayda hat sich die Gestalt\n.\0\0^B..........
2984788D7B7G77A9B7G77A987E7A09809482889D0A9881737019
0X09A09BBA0X07D9839D m o r i r a i i i i i. . i
G.F.S. \0G.F.S. \0G.F.S. \0G.F.S. \0G.F.S. \0G.F.S.
0x57 0x41 0x48 0x45 0xA0 0x55 0x50 0x2E 0x00^0^0

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
All that floating that changes all the animations? Seriously, what makes someone an Echo?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yet other characters with the same movesets such as Pichu, Young Link, Roy, Dr. Mario, Falco, Lucas and Wolf are not Echoes. Chrom is considered a Roy echo even though the only moves he shares with Roy were the ones Roy borrowed from Marth. Dark Samus's floating is a really big distinction from Samus's grounded animations. The one thing that set Fox and Wolf apart was Wolf's animations. With Dark Samus's floating, a lot players would be confused about the Echo status.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Congratulations to all of you Dark Samus supporters. Y’all should be proud to get the character in Smash

D

Deleted member

I am suuuuuuper happy that Dark Samus made it in! And it looks like the theory of her missing Assist Trophy + Samus's changed alt color came true.

I feel slightly underwhelmed by her using bombs but I LOVE her look and the animations they gave her, so it really looks like playing as her will feel true to the character. I was hoping for a semi-clone but I will absolutely take this and love it thank you thank you thank you Sakurai :p

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Super glad Dark Samus made it, and I love the idle stance. Metroid now has 4 characters. That's unreal.

D

Deleted member

All that floating that changes all the animations? Seriously, what makes someone an Echo?
I will answer your question. An "echo" fighter is Sakurai's new word for "clone" character. Clones/Echoes will share almost all moves but can still express their individuality with a couple unique moves here and there and some different animations. If enough moves become different from their base character, they are considered unique, even if they still share some moves with their base character.

Where is the line between Echo and unique fighter? There isn't one. It's a little subjective, and more like a gradient. It's like gradually changing the hue from green to blue. At some point you realize, "hey this isn't green anymore, it looks blue now!" but not everyone will agree where the line between green and blue is.

Smash 64 introduced one clone: Luigi
Melee introduced 6 (and Luigi became unique*)
Brawl actually introduced no new clones, cut several of them, and made the remaining ones unique*
Smash 4 introduced 2 new clones (Dark Pit, Lucina) while bringing back Dr. Mario and Roy which are no longer clones but unique*
Smash Ultimate has so far introduced 4 new clones, and the 2 returning clones from Melee (Pichu and Young Link) are now unique*

If it were me, I'd still consider Pichu and Dr. Mario as echo fighters or clones but Sakurai has his reasons for not doing so

*unique enough

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To be honest, Dark Samus is a lot more different than Samus than Dixie Kong is from Diddy Kong. Dark Samus could have two or three whole brand new movesets if they want to give it to her, but she isn't that popular so it is cool that she is at least an echo fighter. She just does a lot of stuff, and I am not even counting her original Metroid Prime form in the mix.
That being said, Dixie Kong while not as unique (within the boundaries of the comparison you made, of course) still is unique and should definitely NOT be an echo fighter. She does enough to have a brand new moveset, as you probably know.

She can still be an echo a la Chrom (who is based in more than one FE fighter), but let's hope she isn't.

If they do make Dixie and Echo Fighter, take heart. Diddy's only tail using move was removed in Ultimate, and Chrom showed us that despite being a Roy echo, he uses Ike's Up B. That means Echos can be based on one character, but pull a move or two from another character to keep development time low while making them more in line with their game appearances.
So being based off Diddy while using DK's up special with an animation change for a hair twirl or borrowing another character's tether for a hair grab is now totally in the realm of possibility.

I feel good about Dixie.

I dont understand how her Hair could work in Diddy's moveset. Forget the tail. Forget everything. If she cannot twirl, it isnt Dixie.
It is also petty, but its gonna annoy me to turn off Echoes on my screen, and then lose Dixie from my selection. She deserved to be a semi clone. Not an alt. And this is coming from someone who said, in sm4sh, that Lucas/Falco/Tink/so many more, should have been alts in the way the echo characters are now.

I will answer your question. An "echo" fighter is Sakurai's new word for "clone" character. Clones/Echoes will share almost all moves but can still express their individuality with a couple unique moves here and there and some different animations. If enough moves become different from their base character, they are considered unique, even if they still share some moves with their base character.
Where is the line between Echo and unique fighter? There isn't one. It's a little subjective, and more like a gradient. It's like gradually changing the hue from green to blue. At some point you realize, "hey this isn't green anymore, it looks blue now!" but not everyone will agree where the line between green and blue is.

Smash 64 introduced one clone: Luigi
Melee introduced 6 (and Luigi became unique*)
Brawl actually introduced no new clones, cut several of them, and made the remaining ones unique*
Smash 4 introduced 2 new clones (Dark Pit, Lucina) while bringing back Dr. Mario and Roy which are no longer clones but unique*
Smash Ultimate has so far introduced 4 new clones, and the 2 returning clones from Melee (Pichu and Young Link) are now unique*

If it were me, I'd still consider Pichu and Dr. Mario as echo fighters or clones but Sakurai has his reasons for not doing so

*unique enough

No... clones have more variant properties.
The big difference seems to be the animations. In the past, Sakurai has stated he did not want to differentiate characters like Pit and Dark Pit because even a slight change would give one a competitive advantage, and mean they would not score on the boards in the same way. And he also said, he wanted to stay true to the personalities.

I was surprised to hear trajectories/properties would remain changed. Im skeptical if I even heard that. But Pichu is tinier and has much shorter reach, Young Link is far shorter than Link and apparently has different moves than Toon Link, and the others you mentioned all share different moves.

All the clones have the exact same moves (minus Final). That has been said. Was this somewhere shown otherwise? I was taping during the stream and did miss a few moments. I need to look at Aether with Chrom. That was absolutely confusing.

Honestly this whole thing is still confusing. I just rewatched Chrom, and the Aether move he screams that he uses is 100% a charge forward, not an up attack... making it nothing at all of an up Special.... maybe that is like a move Roy uses... Im pretty sure we havnt seen clones mix moves.....

And I dont want all the clones on my screen. I just want Dixie on my screen. And I dont want to choose between her and Diddy being displayed.
All the others, at least in my opinion, have not made the impact in gaming that Dixie Kong has. Much less, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If Sakurai and his team decided to keep three characters per series maximum, I'd be fine with Zero Suit Samus being removed, since she is Samus, whereas Dark Samus shares the same genetic material, but is entirely her own person. If Dark Samus remains, I suspect that she'll be given a different moveset in the next game. Her assist trophy already offered a few good ideas, but that attack where she generates those Phazon spheres most likely comes from this attack below.

Notice the arm positioning and how Dark Samus moves her arm. It's just like the one we see in here. I suspect that would be u-smash, while the Phazon tentacles would be her d-tilt, since it shares the same animation as Samus' d-tilt. Of course, it could also be d-smash, due to the amount of damage. Then there's her ability to shoot those Phazon bullets. Each one does 1% damage, and she fires 21 bullets total, granting 21% damage. I checked each frame to make sure. This means Dark Samus' neutral B could fire 3 Phazon bullets uncharged, and 21 bullets fully charged.

Because Dark Samus wouldn't have Screw Attack, I thought her up special could be what I call "Kinetic Phazon Cannon", after the kinetic cannons found in the Metroid Prime trilogy. It looks like this.

During this time, Dark Samus would have super armor. If she hits the side of the stage, she would be able to wall-bounce, just like Ness or Lucas. This attack would have the option of being fired in any direction, just like Sheik's Vanish. And if Dark Samus were to use it and hit the ground, she'd create a shock wave. As for forward special, Dark Samus would shoot super missiles and Phazon missiles. The former would be released like Samus' homing missiles, though. Phazon missiles would freeze the opponent in place.

I'm still uncertain as to what I'd have down special. Originally, the thought was to release a dark echo where it'd do its own thing for the time being like an assist trophy, but who knows?

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm still uncertain as to what I'd have down special. Originally, the thought was to release a dark echo where it'd do its own thing for the time being like an assist trophy, but who knows
I personally think the tentacles could be a down special and work as a 'get off me' tool

Either that or the homing orbs because that would function as the same 'trap' move as bombs and is a bit too powerful for a U Smash imo

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If Sakurai and his team decided to keep three characters per series maximum, I'd be fine with Zero Suit Samus being removed, since she is Samus, whereas Dark Samus shares the same genetic material, but is entirely her own person. If Dark Samus remains, I suspect that she'll be given a different moveset in the next game.
Three characters per game? Then a lot of Mario, Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters would have to be cut.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Three characters per game? Then a lot of Mario, Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters would have to be cut.
I know, and I wouldn't mind. There are plenty of characters who can be added once the roster has been significantly reduced at least by a third.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom