• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth it? I need a little advice : )

Zoro

Smash Champion
EDIT-Sorry for starting another help me get gewd threads. I'm sure your all sick of them.

As a competitive smasher who has been maining link for the last 2 years. I must ask this question.

Have you ever thought is it worth it?

You go to your local tourneys and play with the same people week after week. You see some new guys and own them then suddenly 3 months later they pick up marth or fox and just **** you.

Im currently in a character crisis for this very reason
I hate the idea of being unable to beat people with link when i can easily win with a top tier character. I play all characters but for some reason I keep trying with link.

I dont know if ive just reached my limit
but i cant seem to improve, not because of the character but because of my inability to use him.

Ive quit link just about 2 weeks ago and i regret it to be honest
my love for the character is greater than my desire to win.

That doesnt mean I want to continue to have my *** handed to me by random newcomers.

Some advice or tips would be appreciated.

Also here is an example of my matches.(crew battle)
I already had quit link and i wasnt intending on using him in the crew battle but my crew mates insisted. I was performing horribly doing alot of stupid stuff. i was in a horrible mood.

The first match is between a fellow FL link main.

My match being at 5:11

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fVZu7ts74vw

Now you can watch me getting literally owned
against QDVS the best marth in FL. He was probably sandbagging as well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Am2J0jVxaI0

As you can see my link sucks. Not as bad as the videos show but still. Maybe im just missing something simple but i honestly cant tell. Maybe some of you will just tell me its expected to lose when you main link. I appreciate any help. Thanks

btw i already know my DI sucks im working on that.

Aesir

Smash Master
^ One thing to say to this I read half and I figured you were like me and just went to a top tier so you could win LOL

If you do that pick one you like as long as they're above jiggly on the list you'll win lol.

But if you wanna stick it out with link more power to you, one smasher sticks in the back of my mind as someone who mains link and is really ****ing good. Skler ****ing 2-0'd everyone in his pool and he had really good people in his pool. >_>

edit: He ***** two sheiks in a crew battle.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
As a competitive smasher who has been maining link for the last 2 years. I must ask this question.

Have you ever thought is it worth it?
You just answered your own question, by playing Link for two years you must obviously think it's worth it, but doubt it when someone gets better then you and you don't like it.

Thread over.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I used to use Link ever since the original 64 Smash. But that was before I started competitive level Smash. Even then, I used him for a short while, learning SHFFL's and such (wavedashes with Samus). Later I began to learn to play Fox since I just love his technical stuff and shines. =) I still keep up with Link though, since I despise the idea of completely abandoning a character and then sucking with that abandoned charater. Basically it would be a waste.

I'm better with Fox, but I don't know...is it just because that Fox is very good and at the top of the tier list or is Fox just a character that fits my playstyle? I just don't know (since NO ONE plays me). Then again, I play as Marth too, but I'm better with Link than Marth.

It's really up to you to decide. Practice like hell with the character that you like, and you'll see some good results.

Skler

Smash Master
Play whoever you're good with if you want to win, play whoever you have the most fun with if you want to have fun.

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
The reason noobs beat you a little after they pick up a top tier is because you are not that good to begin with.
And it's always worth it.

man that sounded harsh.
Just stick with Link since he's better than anyone anyways.

Zoro

Smash Champion
The reason noobs beat you a little after they pick up a top tier is because you are not that good to begin with.
And it's always worth it.

man that sounded harsh.
Just stick with Link since he's better than anyone anyways.
Nah its all good, just givin your honest opinion.

That exact situation never really happened to me i was just giving an example.
But my rate of progression is slower than others that have played as long as i have.

You just answered your own question, by playing Link for two years you must obviously think it's worth it, but doubt it when someone gets better then you and you don't like it.

Thread over.
It was a rhetorical question bro.

Im not asking to be rated Id just like to know how i can improve
Im trying to stick with link.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I really don't have much to say. Link was once my main, but he has moved down to my second because of Fox and Marth abusage by my friends. You really have to read your opponent with Link if you want to land anything because of Link's horrible lag and inability to combo into KO moves easily. Maybe you should try Y.Link, he's quicker and can set up a lot easier than big Link can.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Such a shame for the Marth to SD after that performance. Mid-tier garbage characters IMO ruined what would otherwise be a very nice Crew Battle. The best MUs were between the tournament characters in this CB.
mid-tier garbage? ughh...that one youtube poster just killed me. what an f***ing idiot.

I'm pretty sure all link's have had this pressure on before. My whole crew has been telling me to drop link for mario, marth, fox, whoever else because i do better with them. I just have this comfort level with link that i don't have with any of my other characters. And the fact that a lot of these top characters can easily get rocked if they're not as solid as they should. You pick a better character and you'd still probably lose to QDVS.

And another thing about your matches...your link is smooth, it's cool to look at, but it doesn't get the job done. Where are your bombs? No i don't mean the flashing drop grab, it's cool but it look like your only using bombs as a taunt. Now these are the only 2 matches i've seen of you so that's all i can assume. Who cares if QDVS is a good marth, you still could've had 2 clean stock off of him if you bomb'd more often. Spam projectiles if need be, you're mid-tier don't handicap yourself anymore than need be. Marth, or any character can weave in and out of boomerangs and arrows, but get hit by a bomb and their flow has stopped. That's when you get in there and mess them up. Only then. And down throw them! Up throw serves for good mind games, but down throw is good for consistency. it GUARANTEE'S a hit or two off.

whew...ok i'm done ranting. and i got 13 more posts until i hit smash lord status! whoo! hope the advice helps, and don't quit link! just bring up a strong second if need be.

Deva

Smash Lord
Alright, if losing to n00bs who pick up top tier is your main problem I'll give you some tips.

First off, I watched your Falco, it was pretty good. I then watched your Link.....I could say a lot of harsh things here about a person whose been playing competitively for two years but I think you catch my drift. Do you know why your Falco is better, it's not cuz he's top tier. It's because you don't pay attention to your opponents moves while you play. With Falco you hold them down with lasers and pillar when you get close. You don't care what your opponent is doing. It doesn't work with Link.

Against Marth, get some distance and use slow dash dances then as you turn and run, turn again and throw a boomerang in the air. The marth should try to approach and will most likely weapon cancel the rang when they see it. Then jump foreward and nair to set a combo into a grab or whatever you like. If the Marth is too far, turn again and pull a bomb. Each time your opponent see's you turn they will most likely approach. then either throw the bomb or rang and attack when you see an opening. If you see a fair coming at you, shield the first if he's going for the double fair and grab him.

Against n00b Shieks, use the projectiles the same way as against Marth. If the Shiek gets too close, either CC-d-smash their tilts or d-tilt at really low percents. it'll eat through their tilts and set up combos. If they cg ban FD, and even then you can DI up and towards them and jump out before they can continue the CG if they don't realize they actually have to turn and grab you since you appear to be in front of them.

Against n00b Fox, space jabs, nairs and fairs to stop his approach. d- smash can lead into nasty combos on fox. Projectiles aren't as useful since he's so fast, but use them to lure him to you and jab if he's about to approach.

Against n00b Falco, Jump over the lasers and throw rangs and bombs to stop them. once you get close, combo him like Fox. If you see his d-air will hit you , smash DI away and the shine won't hit you. If the Falco likes to pressure shields, roll away. he can't catch you as easily as Fox.

Really, just watch your opponents and think about what will work against them this tips should help but really it's all in how you think when you play. You can do well only using Link. In fact I've never used another character besides Link in a tournament and I actually place within the top ten in Washington. I actually enjoy playing against n00b top/high tiers because they feel so dumb afterwards since they lost to a Link. Just make sure to never blame a loss because you used Link and he's low tier. You can do well with any character with enough practice and the will to win.

edit: and yes I realize how corny that last part sounded.

Zoro

Smash Champion
mid-tier garbage? ughh...that one youtube poster just killed me. what an f***ing idiot.

I'm pretty sure all link's have had this pressure on before. My whole crew has been telling me to drop link for mario, marth, fox, whoever else because i do better with them. I just have this comfort level with link that i don't have with any of my other characters. And the fact that a lot of these top characters can easily get rocked if they're not as solid as they should. You pick a better character and you'd still probably lose to QDVS.

And another thing about your matches...your link is smooth, it's cool to look at, but it doesn't get the job done. Where are your bombs? No i don't mean the flashing drop grab, it's cool but it look like your only using bombs as a taunt. Now these are the only 2 matches i've seen of you so that's all i can assume. Who cares if QDVS is a good marth, you still could've had 2 clean stock off of him if you bomb'd more often. Spam projectiles if need be, you're mid-tier don't handicap yourself anymore than need be. Marth, or any character can weave in and out of boomerangs and arrows, but get hit by a bomb and their flow has stopped. That's when you get in there and mess them up. Only then. And down throw them! Up throw serves for good mind games, but down throw is good for consistency. it GUARANTEE'S a hit or two off.

whew...ok i'm done ranting. and i got 13 more posts until i hit smash lord status! whoo! hope the advice helps, and don't quit link! just bring up a strong second if need be.
Yea i hear things of that sort quite often

Lol bombs , i usually use them sparingly. Not because i dont think it works i just feel like it slows me down.I'll definitely try to adjust that and use more bombs.

Thanks for the advice. Ive heard your a sick link but ive never seen a video, kind of wish i could see one your matches.

Deva said:
Alright, if losing to n00bs who pick up top tier is your main problem I'll give you some tips.

First off, I watched your Falco, it was pretty good. I then watched your Link.....I could say a lot of harsh things here about a person whose been playing competitively for two years but I think you catch my drift. Do you know why your Falco is better, it's not cuz he's top tier. It's because you don't pay attention to your opponents moves while you play. With Falco you hold them down with lasers and pillar when you get close. You don't care what your opponent is doing. It doesn't work with Link.

Against Marth, get some distance and use slow dash dances then as you turn and run, turn again and throw a boomerang in the air. The marth should try to approach and will most likely weapon cancel the rang when they see it. Then jump foreward and nair to set a combo into a grab or whatever you like. If the Marth is too far, turn again and pull a bomb. Each time your opponent see's you turn they will most likely approach. then either throw the bomb or rang and attack when you see an opening. If you see a fair coming at you, shield the first if he's going for the double fair and grab him.

Against n00b Shieks, use the projectiles the same way as against Marth. If the Shiek gets too close, either CC-d-smash their tilts or d-tilt at really low percents. it'll eat through their tilts and set up combos. If they cg ban FD, and even then you can DI up and towards them and jump out before they can continue the CG if they don't realize they actually have to turn and grab you since you appear to be in front of them.

Against n00b Fox, space jabs, nairs and fairs to stop his approach. d- smash can lead into nasty combos on fox. Projectiles aren't as useful since he's so fast, but use them to lure him to you and jab if he's about to approach.

Against n00b Falco, Jump over the lasers and throw rangs and bombs to stop them. once you get close, combo him like Fox. If you see his d-air will hit you , smash DI away and the shine won't hit you. If the Falco likes to pressure shields, roll away. he can't catch you as easily as Fox.

Really, just watch your opponents and think about what will work against them this tips should help but really it's all in how you think when you play. You can do well only using Link. In fact I've never used another character besides Link in a tournament and I actually place within the top ten in Washington. I actually enjoy playing against n00b top/high tiers because they feel so dumb afterwards since they lost to a Link. Just make sure to never blame a loss because you used Link and he's low tier. You can do well with any character with enough practice and the will to win.

edit: and yes I realize how corny that last part sounded.
Wow

I'll admit im a mediocre link when it comes down to it. As much time as i put into him i never seemed to improve.

I just need to read my opponents better and learn not to dive in so much.

Thanks for the awesome tips
I think im going to have to change my mindset and not blame my losses on link.

Deva ive seen your matches and you got a nasty link.
I was kind of inspired in a way when i saw them a while back.

Thanks for taking the time man.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Taking a break for a little may be a good idea. It helps to get your mind off of what you think about your game. I have needed to do it a couple of times, and after each break I was able to improve in the places where I wasn't able before. If I had not taken those breaks, I would still be thinking along the same line's that you are now. I also went through the "Should I switch my main?" mindset. Your game may be a little off right now, but so is your mind set. That may be affecting how you play.

In short, stay on your smash-break for as long as you deem necessary. When you come back to smash, look to other Link matches if you still need situational help (But you should be able to get some of that from your crew mates in some matches). After the break you should feel better about your game, and be better able to improve than if you are still looking down on yourself.

Good luck to ya man, I hope you decide to stick with Link so I can get in some more dittos =].

Zoro

Smash Champion
Taking a break for a little may be a good idea. It helps to get your mind off of what you think about your game. I have needed to do it a couple of times, and after each break I was able to improve in the places where I wasn't able before. If I had not taken those breaks, I would still be thinking along the same line's that you are now. I also went through the "Should I switch my main?" mindset. Your game may be a little off right now, but so is your mind set. That may be affecting how you play.

In short, stay on your smash-break for as long as you deem necessary. When you come back to smash, look to other Link matches if you still need situational help (But you should be able to get some of that from your crew mates in some matches). After the break you should feel better about your game, and be better able to improve than if you are still looking down on yourself.

Good luck to ya man, I hope you decide to stick with Link so I can get in some more dittos =].
Tru

Your link got better in like a month lime
Ill definitely be doin some dittos with you whenever u show up in CFL guy. Haha
Since twilight is gone : (

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Tru

Your link got better in like a month lime
Ill definitely be doin some dittos with you whenever u show up in CFL guy. Haha
Since twilight is gone : (
Thanks, I need to improve as much as I can because of Monk's Mario. Yeah, Twilight being shut down almost made me cry. If one is held in Clearwater, you comin? I will take the next day off so I can stay as long as possible. I will try to get to CFL soon. I just don't feel like driving that much in one day, probably during the next school break I will try to get up there for a tourney.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Thanks, I need to improve as much as I can because of Monk's Mario. Yeah, Twilight being shut down almost made me cry. If one is held in Clearwater, you comin? I will take the next day off so I can stay as long as possible. I will try to get to CFL soon. I just don't feel like driving that much in one day, probably during the next school break I will try to get up there for a tourney.
most likely not
I dislike driving very much
Ive almost died like 10 times since i started driving now im just extremely paranoid and aware of the risk i put myself in just being on the road. Im pretty sure ill die in a car accident. Im a horrible driver.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
That sucks man, but I do understand. I have a saying "Driving in Florida is kinda like dodging bullets." Extremely stupid bullets. The roads of Florida aren't the safest to travel, especially in the early to mid morning hours. I have seen some really ******** junk that drivers have the habit of doing. The only way to drive is to hope you can see the stupid opportunity before something happens. I hope you the best of luck on not meeting any of the ******** drivers, we all need it in this state.

Top Bottom