• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth it?

sgt. fuzz

Smash Cadet
Is it worth is to practice against lvl 9 bots? I spend 3 hours daily against random lvl9 bots. I can beat all of them, so is it even worth it? My friend who is really good always sandbags me, so I really can't get any help from him. So should I continue training like this, or should I stop wasting my time?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Good for reflexes since they are super-human and react faster than a real person ever would, assuming you are playing them like you would play a human and not putting them into loops or taking advantage of the A.I.

Playing your really good friend would be a lot better though. Honestly, losing makes you better as long as you are gaining things from it.

Aptera

Smash Cadet
The best way to gain experience is to play against real people. If you have a good wifi con....

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I agree you can't ge better against people if u play aginst computers, I learnered the hard way XD

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Computer opponents will use different attacks than your friends will. Playing against both will make you familiar with a broader range of that character's capabilities. But you should focus your attention on identifying how opponents attempt to play their character.

Regardless, playing against people will make you adapt quicker since your opponent is doing the same.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I agree with most of the other posters.

The only way to get better is to learn from your mistakes, to understand why your tactics succeed or fail. The best way to do that is to make a lot of mistakes, and the fastest way to make a lot of mistakes is to play someone better than you. Playing someone better than you makes it plainly evident which of your normal tactics do not work as well as you might think. It forces you to pay attention to everything that happens, to think about why you failed, and to come up with other things you might have done instead.

I would play your friend. When I was trying to step up to a competitive level in Melee for the first time, I was only able to get so much experience on my own. And while I've been to few tournaments still, the best thing I did to get better was attend a tournament and get my *** handed to me by players who were downright better than me. Losing to them made it plainly obvious what I needed to improve on, and how I should be playing. It forced me to reconsider the way I play and work to improve. And improve I did.

Playing better players is a great way to learn your own weaknesses, but it's up to you to work at correcting those weaknesses. Hope this helped.

LittleKey

Smash Cadet
I would say it's good to play against both computers and real people. One of the most important parts of the game is versatility. Sure, you could spend 10 hours a day fighting no one but Lucas, over and over again, and always beat him as a result. But then, if you go to a tournament, 34 out of 35 times, you'll lose, because you only practiced against Lucas. It's good to try fighting people with different styles, so you learn more.

Top Bottom