• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Kirby a Problem for anyone else?

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
Recently, I struggled with Peach, but I've recently overcome her with rigorous training and observations. Unfortunately, I've come across a little pink puffball that for some reason I have the most difficulty fighting.

1.)Tilt Locking doesn't necessarily help since they get out of it easily.
2.)Kirby for some reason can grab me abnormally quick and roll behind me abnormally.

Lol, what are some suggestions because as far as I know I have highly effective speed and decent mindgames. Well beyond the BLAH any ways of gimping punishing him?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Kirby is the reason I finally pick up someone to back up Sheik.

My advise, pick up a kirby counter of your picking and go to town. There's a lot of them so it's not very hard to do if you start your search in the top tiers. The Zelda boards say they do well against kirby as well but that's bull.

Sheik has very few options against kirby and kirby has all and more against sheik.
We can't combo the **** thing
Tilt lock doesn't work
Chain isn't that useful in areas without a platform above you as he can just brick you and you can't camp because his up B out range the chain.
Needles are a blessing but can be stolen then kirby has the option to do a aerial needle camp which sheik has few options against.
Gimping is dangerous to do outside of gimping his up B recovery directly as he can swallow you.
Kirby has a more or less guaranteed combo from grab that can do almost 50% in damage in the low %s
Kirby can kill sheik around 90% with it's fsmash

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't need to be able to tilt lock things for ftilt to be effective against them. What I would worry about more than anything are his throw combos including a chain throw.

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
It probably has to do with the **** things size. I might have to use someone like pit to win. Any chance of that working? And on a side note who did you use against Kirby Tristan?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
It probably has to do with the **** things size. I might have to use someone like pit to win. Any chance of that working? And on a side note who did you use against Kirby Tristan?
I use Game and watch. He's very easy to pick up and does the job better then Zelda can. The same could be said for Luigi, and ice climbers.

edit: Although learning Zelda is still very important since in my book just for if you get force to fight someone like ice climbers with sheik you could switch to Zelda.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
The thing about Kirby is that his ground game is better than his aerial game, believe it or not. His grabs lead to incredible combos and his attacks aren't to shabby in both damage or knockback. His aerials are still good however with a spammable aerial, and decent FoP ability.

Kirby's ground game > Sheik
Kirby's aerial game > Sheik

But

Sheik's aerial game > Kirby's ground
Sheik's ground game ~ Kirby's air.

At least these are my observations, so you have to try to stay in the air while he's on the ground, and surprise Kirby's Aerial game with insta-DACUS, and grab boosts and Pivots.

Though, I rather use my secondaries against Kirby to be honest.

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
Thanx Tristan those are good choices and zelda is common sense for the IC but areal game is why kirbys getting hits on me

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Kirby is an absoloute *****.

- You can't string him, F Tilt's obviously still applicable but not to near the same extent as usual. When you get an F Tilt, end it quickly with N Air, U Tilt or D Smash, consecutive F Tilts often get punished.
- You can't camp him, he can take your needles and even if he doesn't then he can happily go over them and then pressure you at close range where it's not safe to use them. Counting his jumps helps here and make sure you keep 'em charged when you can anyway, they still limit Kirby's ground approach and messing up his B Air spacing.
- Kirby's grab combo's get up to 40% on Sheik, until you hit this percentage barrier, you need to be pressuring smartly or needle camping (Kirby's lateral speed isn't good, you can get tack damage this way if he doesn't have needles) and spacing B Air. He gets in your space, D Smash is a miracle.
- Chain isn't good, Kirby can needle, Up B or Down B through it, so if you use it, make sure Kirby's not in an immediate position to use any of these.
- As I've said many times, I don't like rolling through at close range, but it's especially true here, they'll predict and F Smash and you'll die at ridiculous percent. In the same token, people who complain about Kirby's roll need to learn when to D Smash/F Tilt.
- For recovery, when low you should chain hog and B Air or renew invincibility dependant on action taken. When level, needle him. Above is probably Kirby's safest option but Kirby's hardly safe when coming back down to the stage, bait an airdodge or aerial and go from there.

A N D R E

Smash Cadet
It's a matter of using your spacing well. Kirby's options are obviously good and he is highly maneuverable. However, think of it this way: Kirby is a close-range character, and so is Sheik. What can potentially give Sheik the upper hand is her jumping and running speed, which obviously Kirby doesn't have. Think of it like a circle of space that Sheik controls around her at all times... Sheik's is bigger because her speed allows her to move within that circle at a blistering speed
pun intended
. While Kirby's circle is smaller, it has more priority, and the circle itself has more maneuverability.

Sheik is fighting the tougher battle, but IMO this matchup can be even if you play your spacing right.

this is choknater btw

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
If you know Zelda, I strongly recommend her instead. STRONGLY.

If for some reason you insist on playing Sheik, or don't know Zelda (which is bad), I would say:

Kirby's B moves are generally quite bad. You're quick enough to counter or block/sheild grab his Side B and Down B. Roll away from neutral B, and just jump over his up-B and punish.

Aerial needles > ledgegrab is a good way of gimping him, since he can get through chainlocks somewhat easily.

Aerially, in terms of moves, imo Sheik has the upper hand, but his multiple jumps let him stay out of your ground-attack and projectile range, thus turning the tables. Solution: Keep him on the floor. f-air and b-air are unlikely kill moves, so feel free to decay them.

I'm not certain, but he has similar properties to MK, so GRUSTing might work.

f-tilt lock obviously not key here, but f-tilt is still a good move for juggling. f-tilt and d-tilt are good for proping him up in range for f/n-airs. I think that's a good way to go. It's a sort of "best defense is a good offense" strategy. You can't be aggressive with Kirby since he can escape from anything you can do, but don't give him the time to space or prepare grab combos and such.

Basically, your best moves in this matchup are f-air, needles, D-smash, grab. Abuse them all. (Perhaps not so much spamming the D-smash. You might want to kill with that. even if you don't play Zelda, you can still transform just for a quick U-smash or D-smash kill. Nothing particularly complicated about those set-ups)

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
kirby is annoying but he has a very short range with most of his attacks.

he has a lot of priority in the air but his short range means you can usually air dodge then hit him with a back air.

if you get the spacing and range on his up+b you can also do some nifty things.

if kirby uses up+b and will not sweetspot (like pop up on the stage and slash you) you can use vanish to quite often kill him (yay for light characters)

and its crazy insane to do but you can jump off the stage use your chain and grab your invulnerability causing him to basically spike himself with his up+b. i wouldnt really recommend doing this though its just funny when you get it off.

kirby is one of the characters (like metaknight) i dont try to gimp when there offstage. i just load up on my needles since kirby gets knocked up from explosion at pretty low percents.

oh nos you cant f-tilt whatever will you do =p

Top Bottom