• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is kirby over powered?

lint789

Smash Cadet
Some friends think that kirbys way too over powered. although i belive that he isnt, if he is can you guys explain why?

They might think this because theyre mains are jiggles and bowser, which may be bad matchups against kirby.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Probably because their mains are jiggs and bouser, which might be bad matchups against kirby.

Or, maybe because Kirby has always been good, but he's really shining in Brawl? Especially in competitive gameplay... Seeing the better players use Kirby motivates me to dominate his moveset.

Oh, I think there's a topic that's a bit similar to this one around here, and it's recent. Talks about Kirby being good in Brawl... You should check it out, it might have your answer! :D

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
i think ike is too overpowered, but noone believes me either. i just sucked at playing against him D:

no i dont suck against ike anymore.

kirby is not overpowered

Synerate

Smash Cadet
No...
For the most part hes just an elaborate soccerball, in which a pink obessed todler has gotten to.
Overpower would be mr Ike. I can beat him. but ive played with ike before not having an expierence with ike. So when i go to do my up smash it seems like all the players just get detroyed all of a sudden by it. seriously, i did it and 4 people just get ko'd and i was only playing agaisnt 3 other people :p

Bottom line is no kirby is not.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Not overpowered, but still good. And for the record, Bowser is one of Kirby's best matchups.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
not overpowered there is a lack of range in his attacks , he is just very capable for beginners and if a begginer beats a more experienced player the experienced player will think that kirby is overpowered but hes not, i find him to be good for begginers because he is hard to knock of stage with his multiple jumps and beginers captialize on this, but not overpowered at all no.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
why does everyone say ike is overpowered? o.o ive played against a bunch of ikes and you just have to pretty much know how he works to beat him... like his attacks all have lag so all you have to do is learn the timing and just spot dodge when it would hit you so you can horribly punish him... shielding isnt so great as it tends to push you so far that you cant punish him

but yea i think kirby is good not overpowered... what i tend to notice is it seems like with kirby you generally have to know how your opponent works to use him effectively... i think kirby is generally good at punishing opponents weaknesses but doesnt directly overpower any specific character...
of course the fast falling opponents are pretty easy for kirby to gimp :)

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
He's not overpowered.....but when mastered he is deadly....plus since he was underpowered in melee, his sudden power burst might lead people to beleive in myths like that.

Listerine

Smash Apprentice
Hell no. Kirby isn't overpowered, it's just that he has plenty of ways to mess with his opponent, and that he will never be left with under 2 choices.

Also, referring to Jester Kirby's post, it's true. When you become skilled with Kirby, you're sure to be feared across Brawl.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Kirby is so lightweight that it alone will prevent him from being overpowered. Many just get annoyed by his Dair spike or something like that and start calling him overpowered. He´s definitely strong in right hands, but that´s all.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Kirby is so lightweight that it alone will prevent him from being overpowered. Many just get annoyed by his Dair spike or something like that and start calling him overpowered. He´s definitely strong in right hands, but that´s all.
You know even though kirby is lightweight... ive managed to live a LONG time with him sometimes due to DI... im not sure why... maybe its my opponents fault lol... like against snake ive lived to around 120-150% range quite a few times

<3 the dair spike

The Pimp

Smash Cadet
I feel that Kirby is overpowered atleast a little. My one friend has decided to main him again and basically all he did was spam up-b, fsmash, upsmash which is quite frustrating ( unless i'm pit where I just reflect the blast from up-b ;p). After he left I played my other friend (sonic main) and i decided to use kirby to try see just how easy it was. I dominated doing the same tactic w/o really trying at all. Will say that his fsmash isnt really cheap just always catches me at the very end of the animation (**** those big feet of his)

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
You know even though kirby is lightweight... ive managed to live a LONG time with him sometimes due to DI... im not sure why... maybe its my opponents fault lol... like against snake ive lived to around 120-150% range quite a few times

<3 the dair spike
That´s true, Kirby can live with very high percents sometimes, especially in big stages, because he can pretty much always recover if he doesn´t die straight from the hit. It´s all down to DI, stage and the direction you´re send flying. Neverthless I think that the fact that Kirby can usually be send out of the stage with fairly low percents is big enough to even the odds between him and his opponent.

And to The Pimp: Shieldgrab and shorthopped midairs for example work against Kirbys F-smash (if you want advice). Kirby often feels insanely good with five jumps and all at first, but after you learn playing against him you start noticing his weak spots and learn to punish him.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Of course Kirby is overpowered, he's small character that can spike people off the stage, that can kill some characters at 10% if they let they gard down. XD

But to be real, he's not overpowered, if he was, he would be picked too much by random people like Smash 64.

storm92

Smash Ace
I feel that Kirby is overpowered atleast a little. My one friend has decided to main him again and basically all he did was spam up-b, fsmash, upsmash which is quite frustrating ( unless i'm pit where I just reflect the blast from up-b ;p). After he left I played my other friend (sonic main) and i decided to use kirby to try see just how easy it was. I dominated doing the same tactic w/o really trying at all. Will say that his fsmash isnt really cheap just always catches me at the very end of the animation (**** those big feet of his)
Shield.
Spamming Final Cutter is hard to react to due to its speed, but if you can anticipate the shock wave (as its pretty easy to see when the attack's animation begins) then shield or roll towards Kirby.
Kirby is a good choice in Brawl and much better than in Melee, but definitely is not overpowered.
Usmash, fmash, and bair are the only real powerful moves Kirby possesses, compared to Ike's tilts, smashes, and sometimes even Quick Draw.

Inkofdeath

Smash Rookie
If Kirby had 2 more long-range attacks, was 1% quicker in move speed, and his hits hit 8% more, then yes he'd be overpowered. ^_^

Tbh, every character is balanced so well, every character is at their maximum to be played at, and any character can be any character, and that's true in any case with experience or not. That's why Brawl and Melee are extremely popular battle games, it's not a higher level, or 2 or 3 characters beat all the other characters. ^_^

The Pimp

Smash Cadet
thanks storm and half for the advice. Main problem is he switched from shiek to kirby which i wasn't use to. I'll be sure to give those things a try next time I play him

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby's not just all about smashes, his side-b in the air is amazingly useful, especially his second hammer swing... AND it can be used while short-hopping, and has almost no lag once you touch the ground, abling you to run away, grab, or follow it up with a d-tilt.

Anywayz... If kirby's in the hands of a VERY good player, you'll notice how amazing he really is. Sure, there are bad matchups, but he is still there kickin' ***... And what ***es he kicks...

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Kirby has to be on a nonstop attack in order to win because he can get easily killed at low percentages. In the hands of a pro kirby is unbeatable but in the hands of a noob kirby gets owend BADLY.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
A Kirby is only as powerful as the person using it.
/gandhi

No, he isn't overpowered. Although his recovery, combo abilities, and KO power are great, he has no projectile unless he steals one from his opponent (and upB shockwaves don't count). Like someone said above, he can't camp. And, finally, he gets killed faster than two-thirds of the characters. He's above average, but certainly not overpowered.

lilaznkitty

Smash Cadet
Sereitei, Soul Society &gt;.&lt; (Danville Cali)
My sister mains Kirby and I think that he can be overpowering if since he has projectiles, good smashes and personally, I hate the hammer (fspecial) cuz its just annoying................but this is only when I use Marth or something(Not that im bad at Marth, just polishing up still). It depends entirely on the player mostly.

Pledge

Smash Cadet
Has anybody noticed the armor Kirby gets when he throws? Maybe all characters have this when they throw but I've espc. noticed it with Kirby. Ex. If I over-smash with Marth and Kirby throws at the same time, Kirby takes the damage from the over smash and the over smash explosion appears from out of Kirby, but the throw goes through.

Kirby is in no way overpowered, but he does not really have a terrible match-up. He is a short character that has six jumps to camp the edge with an all around good game. Mid-High/High tier probs.

KonoK

Smash Cadet
The armor thing is for everyone. If you attack at the same time someone grabs you, you take damage, and grab anyway.

I don't think Kirby is overpowered, basically because he's the 4th lightest character in the game.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
If some of Kirby's air moves had more priority (Nair, Dair and a little more Bair) and his dtilt had a little more range, then Kirby is god. Unfortunately they'd rather give all that priority to Diddy Kong -.-
If you're above your opponent in the air, you're pretty much screwed.
And for some reason when I string together a lot of hits (not combos); and an opponent hits me twice, they do more damage then my 12 seconds of overwhelming segment.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Not overpowered at all. He's powerful, but overpowered would be a character stronger than Ike.

People that use the "overpowered" and "cheap" excuse usually aren't very good at Smash. It's not Kirby, it's your friends that you're playing against.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
not overpowered there is a lack of range in his attacks , he is just very capable for beginners and if a begginer beats a more experienced player the experienced player will think that kirby is overpowered but hes not, i find him to be good for begginers because he is hard to knock of stage with his multiple jumps and beginers captialize on this, but not overpowered at all no.
kirby is capable for starting players?i dont know about this...

meta knight is the starting character in the game.all the new kirbys ive seen all use fsmash seeing as thats one of his more effective moves.

Top Bottom