• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Mach Tornado that great?

Giannis

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone,I am new to this forum although I play the Smash series from its start.

I am a MK user btw and I have a question.I see all over the place that Mach Tornado is good,it is spammed a lot etc. but I dont seem to find any use for it.I mean,If i try to use it,I end up way too high and when it ends,I am completely vulnerable.On the other hand, Drill Rush is my most used B-attack of the MK.I use it for vertical recoveries as well as hitting a lot of opponents at once.Does everyone here think that Mach Tornado is a must here and I should change my play-style?

By the way,I mostly play online with friends and thus far I haven't seen a need to change the way I play since I win most of the times.My play-style includes F-tilting, spamming D-smash, N-air,F-air,D-air and U-air,very few grabs and amateur edgeguarding (I am trying to get better at the last one).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Yes, it is that great. Use it in place of wherever you would use drill rush, except when trying to recovery from below the stage. It's got more priority, does more damage, is faster, and is much much safer.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
First, Welcome to Smashboards!

Mach Tornado has amazing priority, can do around 20% in a full cycle, and its last hit has knockback. So yes, it IS that great.

By the way,I mostly play online with friends and thus far I haven't seen a need to change the way I play since I win most of the times.
MK is a character that is very hard to play online the same way you would play him offline. When we dicuss strategys in the MK boards we normally intend them to be used offline.

My play-style includes...spamming D-smash.
Don't do this. Stale-Move Decay will own you.

cutter

Smash Champion
It's a fantastic noob **** move, but against skilled people that will anticipate it, MT can be beaten by certain moves (ie projectiles, huge disjointed attacks, higher priority attacks).

BetaJim

Smash Rookie
Yea you pretty much have to watch out for those moves that hit near around the top. It IS the eye of the tornado and you will get owned.
Try to press at a good interval that will let you go horizontally with minimum height and when it connects start bashing that b button to keep getting more hits.
I usually spam this move against projectile spammers since it will out prioritize/parry just about every projectile except the bombs. It is really fast and good for closing distances between projectile spam.

Giannis

Smash Cadet
You guys seem pretty straight-minded about MT so I will try working on it in training.Also, whats Stale-Move Decay?

OverLade

Smash Hero
Mach tornado is like the ultimate punishment move. If you miss a move and your opponent tries to get away, Mach tornado. If you hit your opponent and they tried to regain their grounding, Mach tornado. If you want to recovery horizontally and not get hit, mach tornado.

Of course, spamming it isn't good, especially on a stage where you're likely to be punished.

And Space furry lazers outprioritize Nado >_>.

davizinho

Smash Apprentice
when u say that u end up too high, press the b button every half second or so to stay at the same height

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Hmmm what can I say that hasn't been said?

MT is amazing... Best move in the game IMO... Even if it gets down to doing like no dammage, it still removes the move decay you receive on your other moves.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Mach Torn. is really good and just don't mash the b button if you don't want to rise to the heavens. Also in your list of moves I did not see that you use the ^b of MK >.> Learn how to use it and <3 it. It kills every char and is spammable and very hard to punish, not to mention if you miss with the initial move you can A out of the glide for another powerful attck that can finish ppl 140%+ easily and do this before hitting the ground to eliminate all lag from glide descend.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Oh here's another thing about MT that might help you.

When someone is hanging off the ledge, MT over the ledge for like half a second and come back on the stage. It usually takes um off the edge, and the final frames of the nado will hit, causing knockback and a lil bit of dammage. But take Problem2's advice if you don't swoop them up..

Amide

Smash Lord
Yes, it is that good. However, don't always mash B until the move is over. Sometimes, you shouldn't use it to max.

Giannis

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot forthe tips people!

Also in your list of moves I did not see that you use the ^b of MK >.> Learn how to use it and <3 it. It kills every char and is spammable and very hard to punish, not to mention if you miss with the initial move you can A out of the glide for another powerful attck that can finish ppl 140%+ easily and do this before hitting the ground to eliminate all lag from glide descend.
That's true.At the time I started the thread, I never used Shuttle Loop.Now I have learned how to use it when my opponent is just above me or other useful situatuons.Also,I have started using MT just a little,when i need to confuse my opponent.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Mach Tornado is a residual-effect attack. When the animation appears to be over and they unblock, it'll hit them anyway. Useful move, but not nearly the best. Also, MT > projectiles.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
I like to use it to get past weak projectiles and spamming, under ceilings like in skyworld

Top Bottom