• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is melee the most technical game?

Signia

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, but I can't go with you one this. I've seen too many people on SRK say that VF is one of the hardest FGs of all time.
Most balanced FG of all time (without having symmetrical characters)
Deepest FG maybe
But hardest FG? Can't be...

Maybe I just play easy characters (Brad, Goh) but it doesn't seem nearly as hard as Blazblue, and that game is pretty casual friendly according to GG players. The character on the cover, Akira, has pretty hard execution though, that might be why SRK people who have tried it think that. Idk, maybe it's because of the ETEG advanced technique. That's when you input Throw Escapes during your Evade and Guard.

It's hard for reasons other than difficult execution (which is I assume what is meant by "technical game"). It's difficulty is massively overrated.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I heard WoW and Rift are pretty technical.

On a serious note, Starcraft2 isn't THAT easy. TRy breaking 200 apm and not messing up anything. It's easy to do when compared to BW, but it's still pretty hard/techincal for a game. I'd say SC2 is more techinical to melee, at least to me. As for most technical fighting game, I suck at all of them sans Smash. I can barely shoryuken in SF. I think it has to do with something in my genes. But If i had to pick the most techincal one, I've seen some MvC2 players do things that are just... whoa. But SCBW is the hardest game overall.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
This discussion would actually be practical when asking by genre. It's honestly based on how much you practice, because after a while, it all becomes second nature, and nothing is ever actually difficult to perform given time. I can drillshine, ROM, slide infinte, and fastfly fine, but I can't micro in SC for ****. Likewise, I know SC players who play in Master League that can micro very well yet can't play Magneto or Fox to save their lives.

How about Tetris? Considering DAS/ARR are at 60 Hz, no LCD, and sonic drops; SRS Tetris is a very technical game. God Spin into 4-wide freaks people out, and some top players like Blink and hebo_MAI can lock 3 Tetriminos per second consistently.

When it comes down to it, I really can't decide. To me, VF places higher emphasis on mindgames than tech skill compared to other fighters. Melee, MvC2, and GG don't play the same at all. All 3 games have 1-frame techs that currently only the very best in the world can even hope to pull off. I don't know how people can say 3S is more technical than the other 3, unless they have a different definition of technical. Technicality to me is accuracy and precision at high-speed play.

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
You can talk about fighting games here, but none it's as hard to play as Melee is imo.
The DI add so much things on the game.
I've been playing Mvsc3, for example, and idk if the combos are easy as ****, when someone is comboing me, I get bored until the combo ends. In Melee, I can DI when they are comboing me, so it's more difficult or impossible to continue.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
MvC3 is the ****in easiest piece of **** ever.

Don't judge all fgs by that. And yes, they're just about as hard as melee (MvC2 GG).

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
MvC2/GG/VF5 (I think it was 5 that was hard as hell) and Melee all have their own aspects of difficult.

Whether it be the extra factors (smash with DI) the speed of the game (MvC2/GG) or just how plain hard the input is (VF5) they're highly debatable on the level of difficulty.

I prefer to just tier them together on the level of "ridiculously difficult" as its too hard to accurately clarify which one is the most technical (if any).

Just play them all and have fun (8

SCBW I feel is somewhat seperate. In melee and other fighters at the top level they get their tech solid so that theres no particular line of improvement other than going for ridiculous tech (like jc shines or powershields, less than15 frame hit confirms or such) where as SC:BW/SC2 theres a much more direct line of improvement (apm) with macro/micro.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
When bringing up Starcraft, stop trying to act like players don't purposefully boost their APM by spamming useless button presses.

TL?

Smash Ace
While characters like fox and falco require a lot of tech skill to play competitively, you could also compete with much less technical characters such as marth, sheik, or jiggs. In marvel 2 you need some legit tech skill for pretty much any competitively viable team.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
While characters like fox and falco require a lot of tech skill to play competitively, you could also compete with much less technical characters such as marth, sheik, or jiggs. In marvel 2 you need some legit tech skill for pretty much any competitively viable team.
*Ahem*, Cable.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Melee/MvC2/GG is a tie if you can push their limits with an emulator or some sort of hack! As far as people can push the game, it is MvC2, GG then Melee! MvC2 and GG are tech skill REQUIRED games! You can play smart in those games, but you better have the dexterity of pulling off combos as well! In Melee, you can kinda get away without needing tech skill (i.e gimps)! Make no mistake, tech skill in Melee can definitely help your game!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Melee is the most technical smash game ever made. Project is technically adding more of these technical aspects. If anything, Melee is the game with the most mind games ever. MvC2 is good too.Street Fighter and Guilty Gears requires good "Memory", not as much technical skills per say. If you can memorize a few comboes, you are set.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I like how he said the with GG, you obviously know nothing about that game. GG is nothing like SF and it's extremely ****ing hard.

Walt

Smash Ace
GG is kinda like melee in that if your execution is spot on then you can do really hard things like Impossible Dusts which requires jumping at frame 29 of a 30 frame stun move and doing a very exact reset combo thing for just a couple more points of damage in melee if you can pull off some Dark shi and do like triple dair edge cancel shine backair where if you can do it you get a few more percent but mostly just the shine backair that's important. However in both games you can just pick like, marth/sheik or potemkin/slayer and even if they do have some complicated things they CAN do, if you just stick to basics, and out think your opponent you can win.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
People thinking HBox isn't technical don't realize that his Puff's speed, precision and control is top notch and that he bairly makes any errors at all, something very few "technical" players can lay claim to.

More on-topic:

Melee's claim to difficulty lies in the fact that the timing on almost everything is variable; to execute even the most basic, bread and butter combos with moderate consistency is really impressive. Melee also requires a lot of joystick finesse in between the rapid movement which is also pretty darn tough; one of my friends told me about how he tried to get SF players to learn to tilt while playing Melee and they couldn't do it. Then again, a lot of Melee players will also initially struggle with specials and supers in other fighters so really it just boils down to different skill sets.

Also remember most other fighters share skill sets which is why people who are good at one fighter can often translate those skills (and also *practice* those skills regardless of the game they're playing), both technical and strategic. But there's almost no crossover between Melee and other fighting communities when it comes to high level play, and it's really not surprising. The best two players I know of when it came to that kind of thing would have been Forward and KDJ.

Vts

Smash Champion
I believe Steel Battalion is the most technical game since look at this controller and you have to use every button
[collapse="giant image, the **** hunter"]
[/collapse]

also if you don't press that red button when ur mech is destroyed u lose all your saved data.

crazy game

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'd have to vote for Brood War. After spending two years trying to get good at that game and only getting my average APM to around 120ish, I have mad respect for the pros that play at 300+. They are FAST. Melee is 2nd in that aspect, IMO. Although I love melee more and find it to be the better overall game.

Zoler

Smash Ace
I'd have to vote for Brood War. After spending two years trying to get good at that game and only getting my average APM to around 120ish, I have mad respect for the pros that play at 300+. They are FAST. Melee is 2nd in that aspect, IMO. Although I love melee more and find it to be the better overall game.
You played pretty casually then I suppose? :O After 2 years I was well above 300 (B rank on iCCup), depending on matchup I was playing. (TvZ always over 300, TvP and TvT less)

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Tony Hawk Under Ground

I met this guy at a melee tournament a few weeks back who blew my mind when I watched him play this game. I can not even begin to describe how good this kid was mostly because I didn't fully understand what he was doing, it was like watching melee for the first time.

His hands moved way faster then any melee player I have ever seen play. This guy told me he was able to pick wave shining instantly because of his experience with THUG. He claimed to be #2 in world which I absolutely believed after watching him. He explained that much like melee the tech skill is very involved and you need to be able to think and not just be good and pressing buttons. It made me want to start playing it.

philipawalker

Smash Rookie
I would argue that Gunz gameplay is more technical than melee, at least in regards to the amount technical skill seen in high level players starting from around the second half of 2008.
Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFdVFXzxfs&feature=player_detailpage#t=114s

For those who are wondering, in Gunz often the graphics are reduced to the minimum to make opponents stand out more from surrounding environments.

In my opinion, perhaps high level fox and falco play are on par with Gunz.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
No........
It might have been THUG2

I would not have believed it if I had not seen it my self.

Apparently it was relatively competitive until a few years ago.

Iv tried finding videos of people playing at this kids level and I have never seen anything that begins to compare to what I saw live.

His smash boards account is Proskater, you can ask him your self if you don't believe me.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
Minecraft

I met this guy melee tournament a few weeks back who blew my mind when I watched him play this game. I can not even begin to describe how good this kid was mostly because I didn't fully understand what he was doing, it was like watching melee for the first time.

His hand moved way faster then any melee player I have ever seen play. This guy told me he was able to pick wave shining instantly because of his experience with Minecraft. He claimed to be #2 in world which I absolutely believed after watching him. He explained that much like melee the tech skill is very involved and you need to be able to think and not just be good and pressing buttons. It made me want to start playing it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I would argue that Gunz gameplay is more technical than melee, at least in regards to the amount technical skill seen in high level players starting from around the second half of 2008.
Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFdVFXzxfs&feature=player_detailpage#t=114s

For those who are wondering, in Gunz often the graphics are reduced to the minimum to make opponents stand out more from surrounding environments.

In my opinion, perhaps high level fox and falco play are on par with Gunz.
I would disagree, if someone like me could have everything down in Gunz and I can't with Fox/Falco then Melee is more technical. =P

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft

I met this guy melee tournament a few weeks back who blew my mind when I watched him play this game. I can not even begin to describe how good this kid was mostly because I didn't fully understand what he was doing, it was like watching melee for the first time.

His hand moved way faster then any melee player I have ever seen play. This guy told me he was able to pick wave shining instantly because of his experience with Minecraft. He claimed to be #2 in world which I absolutely believed after watching him. He explained that much like melee the tech skill is very involved and you need to be able to think and not just be good and pressing buttons. It made me want to start playing it.
Was his name Creeper?

EDITED: FOR NON BELIEVERS!

Forgot MAJOR shoutout to Proskater Joe. Mad chill dude, awesome to meet you. You're a lil too ridiculous at that game, i dont even know WTF is going on. If I move out to CT I'm def hitting up your smashfests.
Pro-Skater - Really, really technical Fox, especially for someone's who's been playing for such a short amount of time. You're also way too good at Tony Hawk Pro Skater.
Proskater aka my boy Joe: OMG your a KING at Tony Hawk Pro Skater. Also love playing your fox as always. You definitely are improving with every tourney.
proskater aka Joe a smasher from Connecticut is the 2nd best in the world in Tony Hawk Underground. Is there a way to have him show case the god-like THUG action? I saw him this past weekend at a connecticut local and I know that it could get hype with a big crowd because our little crowd of 20-30 got hype!

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Pac-Man

I met this guy at a melee tournament a few weeks back who blew my mind when I watched him play this game. I can not even begin to describe how good this kid was mostly because I didn't fully understand what he was doing, it was like watching melee for the first time.

His hands moved way faster then any melee player I have ever seen play. This guy told me he was able to pick wave shining instantly because of his experience with Pac-Man. He claimed to be #2 in world which I absolutely believed after watching him. He explained that much like melee the tech skill is very involved and you need to be able to think and not just be good and pressing buttons. It made me want to start playing it.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Man

His hands moved way faster then any melee player I have ever seen play. This guy told me he was able to pick wave shining instantly because of his experience with Pac-Man. He claimed to be #2 in world which I absolutely believed after watching him. He explained that much like melee the tech skill is very involved and you need to be able to think and not just be good and pressing buttons. It made me want to start playing it.
Billy Mitchell?

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon

His hands moved way faster then any melee player I have ever seen play. This guy told me he was able to pick wave shining instantly because of his experience with RNG abuse. He claimed to be #2 on the Smogon Shoddybattle server which I absolutely believed after watching him. He explained that much like melee the tech skill is very involved and you need to be able to think and not just be good and pressing buttons. It made me want to start playing it.

Top Bottom