• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is nintendo even capable of fixing the lag?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Even if the connections are blue circles there is always an ounce of lag--it's not me I have a great connection, but you feel the difference offline. It's very disgusting, this game is very popular and the online is laggy no matter what.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
meh, depends on wut causes the lag. hopefully it has nothing to do w/ the wii being a generally weaker system than ps3/360

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Nintendo aren't going to try and fix the lag problem, they're the worst to their customers out of all three games peoples. I'm sure Microsoft and Sony would actually fix it (not that they'd have trouble anyways, they're online is good and not terrible.)
That's what bugs me about them, now that they've got a control that's 'OMG U CAN POINT AT THINGS AND IT DOES STUFF' they're bringing out games with no depth and not improving online at all, despite their fans helping them through the difficult Gamecube era.

/rant about nintendo

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
nintendo doesn't even own the servers, doesn't brawl use gamespy's?
i can't see them actually doing anything about it...other than changing servers

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
i just get used to both...button input lag is fixable but the frame rate drop is a diffrent story...

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
they can't because they're busy making Mario party like 5000000000000000000000000 or something

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
they can't because they're busy making Mario party like 5000000000000000000000000 or something
Hahaha. So true.

No, Nintendo won't fix it.
We have to deal.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Chrome I've played you before over wifi (im mintyflesh) and our blue connection felt fine, and I couln't really tell the difference compared to offline lol. Just stick to people near / in your state, and if both of you have a good connection wifi is good.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Just play Mario Kart Wii online. It's so much better. Oh and did I mention there's NO LAG?
I'm tired of this misconception. All games have lag regardless. It's just that games like FPS, racers, and turn-based games all have ways to hide lag. FPS and racers make it so the peers are seeing a basically CPU-mirror of the actions of the other players (but internally keeps track of the real positioning to avoid desync).

This is why in Mario Kart DS, sometimes Snakers would appear spastic as the CPU cannot replicate the actions fast enough to other peers, or when a person disconnects from a FPS, he runs in a linear path from his last movement option as the CPU is predicting and displaying its predictions on where he will move.

Turn-base games can really ignore lag disregarding response time since the game either keeps track of move usage, HP, magic usage, or positioning and just needs to retrace back to the peer. Movement is usually linear (if there's any), and if not, the end path is always the same.

Fighters do not have that luxury. Hiding lag would be awful. If the CPU mispredicts, you may think you've hit the opponent, when in reality they are actually a few spaces away. Also, quick movement like foxtrotting and dashdancing may lead to the abuse of a prediction system that's already flawed in design. Fighting games is about precision. A system that has the possibility of mirroring positioning incorrectly is out of the question.

We're asking for the impossible here. Fighters online are always the most noticeably laggy. Even in other fighting game communities, they'll complain about lag. It's a flaw with the genre.

It's only made worst by how Nintendo handles their online. But that's not the only factor. Stop comparing Smash to Mario Kart, they're not even the same thing. <_<

Everyone should read this before they whine.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Even pausing the game repeditly offline is laggy. ^_^

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I'm tired of this misconception. All games have lag regardless. It's just that games like FPS, racers, and turn-based games all have ways to hide lag. FPS and racers make it so the peers are seeing a basically CPU-mirror of the actions of the other players (but internally keeps track of the real positioning to avoid desync).

This is why in Mario Kart DS, sometimes Snakers would appear spastic as the CPU cannot replicate the actions fast enough to other peers, or when a person disconnects from a FPS, he runs in a linear path from his last movement option as the CPU is predicting and displaying its predictions on where he will move.

Turn-base games can really ignore lag disregarding response time since the game either keeps track of move usage, HP, magic usage, or positioning and just needs to retrace back to the peer. Movement is usually linear (if there's any), and if not, the end path is always the same.

Fighters do not have that luxury. Hiding lag would be awful. If the CPU mispredicts, you may think you've hit the opponent, when in reality they are actually a few spaces away. Also, quick movement like foxtrotting and dashdancing may lead to the abuse of a prediction system that's already flawed in design. Fighting games is about precision. A system that has the possibility of mirroring positioning incorrectly is out of the question.

We're asking for the impossible here. Fighters online are always the most noticeably laggy. Even in other fighting game communities, they'll complain about lag. It's a flaw with the genre.

It's only made worst by how Nintendo handles their online. But that's not the only factor. Stop comparing Smash to Mario Kart, they're not even the same thing. <_<

OK, while this is confusing, I'll take a guess that what you're saying is that in Racing and FPS games (Like Mario Kart or Metroid Prime Hunters Multiplayer), Your opponent is really a cpu Copy trying to mimic your opponent and Turn based games (Like Pokemon) can easily just relay the data between opponents, but because trying to make a cpu copy of a human in a fighter is completely pointless and impractical, lag is very apparent. This problem is also compounded by limitations on wi-fi, the system Nintendo uses. If I got it right, I could get a job in technology, but if not, a job at Nintendo is plan C.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman

Hit the nail right on the head. Pretty common knowledge among experienced online gamers (or well people from the PC world and multiple consoles/genres).

MajorasMask999

Smash Apprentice
Just play Mario Kart Wii online. It's so much better. Oh and did I mention there's NO LAG?
Agreed that Mario Kart Wii WiFi is a ton better, but there is lag, it's just less noticable than Brawl's. The reason I like MK:Wii WiFi a lot is because you can just go in, wait like five to ten seconds, and be connected with 11 other people just like that. Unlike Brawl's where you have to wait a while before you connect to someone. And I like how you can join a game even if it's already in progress and watch it until it's finished. But I'm getting off topic since this was supposed to be about the lag :3...

In Mario Kart Wii the exact position of other racers is not as big of a deal as the exact position of players in Brawl. Especially since in Mario Kart Wii most of the time the other racers are off screen. That's why you occasionally see people bouncing around in Mario Kart, or see them fall off the track and have them appear way in front of you, because in reality they never really fell off in the first place. The fact that the exact position of the racers isn't necessary is why there isn't any lag in terms of framerate or input lag.

For Brawl on the other hand, the exact position of players IS necessary. I mean, having players jumping around the screen like in Mario Kart would be a lot more annoying than the lag we have to deal with now. It could get as bad as thinking you KO'd someone and having it turn out that you didn't and have them turn around and KO you when you didn't see them. Which is why there is the frame/input lag. Because the game needs to wait until it gets all the information it needs to make an exact duplicate on all the Wii's that are involved, so everyone sees the exact same thing.

Top Bottom