• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is playing claw necessary?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
It may not be needed but i think it definitlly helps, i juist wish i could see silent wolf or shiz's hands.Colbol is not the only person that claws, halo 2 pro's did that and it made them alot better.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I don't play claw. I do mostly fine. Listen to the man with the coolest avi.

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
Most players don't claw, so I wouldn't call it necessary.

As a player who does, though, I do think that it's really easy to get used to, and quite comfortable now. It also let's me do stuff lots easier; I can't imagine float-cancelling without claw (actually I can't imagine doing anything without claw, but yeah). I'm not sure what the different claw variations are, but I play with a right-hand claw; index finger for y, middle finger for z/r, thumb for a and c-stick.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
not needed.
but if you SOMEHOW get used to it and can perform ATs comfortably with it, i can see how it would help by a slight margin.

Pi

Smash Hero
Shizwiz doesn't claw. He's fast as a mother ****er too.

I use to not claw.
I use to shield with L too.
Then Colbol did **** I couldn't, and I decied Claw had very minute advantages.
Since clawing my:
Dashdancing, moonwalking, ledgehop power missile regrab, and generally any technique related to fast horizontal movement of the control stick has improved.

Upon learning the 'claw', I could no longer shield with L comfortably, but I learned to WD OoS with Just R, still having some problems with it though, I might invest some time into re-learning L.

Vertical movements with the control stick remain relatively the same as far as I can tell, though.

Also for anyone who's interested my transition consisted of:
Learning to claw the control stick.
L canceling with Z.
And learning Wavedash OoS with R.
Altogether I would say I was at roughly the same skill level within a month or two of casual play. With any big differences getting smoothed over in the first week or two. With the benefits I mentioned above.

But then again given the same amount of time one might be able to become just as proficient with these techs without the use of the claw. But I'm not sure, so it's whatever, claw looks cool :D, and this way I feel like if there is any advantage I'm already gaining it.

P.S. I highly recommend learning to L-cancel with Z. Especially if you play a char with really fast SHFFL's. Saves your tech window.

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
Wait knihT, just for clarification, you do a left-handed claw, then? I don't see how a right-handed claw would impair your use of the L button for shield. Regardless, I suppose the creator of the thread didn't specify what type of claw.

Left-handed claw seems mad weird to me, but then again right-handed claw probably seems weird to other people. The advantages to left-handed aren't as immediately obvious, though; I immediately did right-handed claw when I started because I got frustrated at how far my fingers would have to move to get from y to c-stick. I feel like claw makes it more comfortable for me more so than it makes it easier for me to do technical stuff. Don't have to move my thumb as far to do aerials.

TK1991

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to start a thread like this because i wasn't sure if claw is necessary either.

My problem is that my right thumb is fast but somehow my left thumb is very slow.
( Perhaps because i am right handed )
Fortunately, i main Jigglypuff that's why i don't need fast fingers at all. I only need to react fast.

But since i like to play CF would a left-handed claw improve my dashdance / moonwalk?
If yes i might learn it although it seems to me that mostly Fox players claw.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It's a preference, totally unessecary. Depends on how comforable you are.

tubes

Smash Ace
I don't use the claw but I don't think it's a matter of how comfortable you are. The claw is always going to be uncomfortable as **** the first time you try it.

Clawing just makes everything faster and EASIER to learn. Learning the claw is an awkward process but in the end It's worth it.

So although I'm not quite sure if it's necessary or not, one might argue graphing calculators aren't necessary either because you can use a regular calculator and your brain for everything anyway. I don't wanna learn how to work a graphing calculator if I don't need to.

starmatrix

Smash Cadet
Playing claw is a preference. Of course if you've never clawed before and try it suddenly, it will feel awkward at first. Learning to play claw may be an asset.. you may feel comfortable with or without it.

joeplicate

Smash Master
Shizwiz doesn't claw. He's fast as a mother ****er too.

I use to not claw.
I use to shield with L too.
Then Colbol did **** I couldn't, and I decied Claw had very minute advantages.
Since clawing my:
Dashdancing, moonwalking, ledgehop power missile regrab, and generally any technique related to fast horizontal movement of the control stick has improved.

Upon learning the 'claw', I could no longer shield with L comfortably, but I learned to WD OoS with Just R, still having some problems with it though, I might invest some time into re-learning L.

Vertical movements with the control stick remain relatively the same as far as I can tell, though.

Also for anyone who's interested my transition consisted of:
Learning to claw the control stick.
L canceling with Z.
And learning Wavedash OoS with R.
Altogether I would say I was at roughly the same skill level within a month or two of casual play. With any big differences getting smoothed over in the first week or two. With the benefits I mentioned above.

But then again given the same amount of time one might be able to become just as proficient with these techs without the use of the claw. But I'm not sure, so it's whatever, claw looks cool :D, and this way I feel like if there is any advantage I'm already gaining it.

P.S. I highly recommend learning to L-cancel with Z. Especially if you play a char with really fast SHFFL's. Saves your tech window.
UGH

you do not need to claw to reliably do any of those things
all those improvements are just you getting more technical, which would have happened regardless of switching the way you hold it or not

i speak from experience when i say it's not needed to be technical

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
You can just press L or R slightly to L-cancel and still save the tech. So this point is mute since you want to be pressing things as lightly and quickly as possible anyway.

PC Chris didn't claw when I saw him play.

M2k used to occasionally claw certain moves, mainly revolving around full jump aerial control.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
wow i wrote a super long post and hit reply but it didn't go through and the back button erased it all :(

bottom line: learn it if you can't do ATs with consistency the comfortable way. if you can do them consistently the normal way then i wouldn't suggest switching since the benefit will be so marginal and you won't be losing a match because you didn't claw. it would be mostly due to your spacing.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Wait knihT, just for clarification, you do a left-handed claw, then? I don't see how a right-handed claw would impair your use of the L button for shield. Regardless, I suppose the creator of the thread didn't specify what type of claw.

Left-handed claw seems mad weird to me, but then again right-handed claw probably seems weird to other people. The advantages to left-handed aren't as immediately obvious, though; I immediately did right-handed claw when I started because I got frustrated at how far my fingers would have to move to get from y to c-stick. I feel like claw makes it more comfortable for me more so than it makes it easier for me to do technical stuff. Don't have to move my thumb as far to do aerials.
Sorry, to clarify that, i just ment clawing in general, left or right claw, iv seen alot less people left clawing though, just because there are less movements with the left claw.

Also thanks for the input, from everyone, i feel like I am alright at smash, and when i saw clawing, i just felt like I was bad, and could never get better.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
You can just press L or R slightly to L-cancel and still save the tech. So this point is mute since you want to be pressing things as lightly and quickly as possible anyway.

PC Chris didn't claw when I saw him play.

M2k used to occasionally claw certain moves, mainly revolving around full jump aerial control.
Ah I know what you mean, when i doubleshine with fox I KINDA claw, I use my pointer finger on B and my middle finger on Y and just hold down on the control stick with my left hand, idk works for me.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is highly necessary

you won't be able to waveshine without it
I can waveshine absolutely perfect without clawing.

I've seen a few people play right handed claw, I'm thinking of giving it a try soon, I mean, what's the harm really? As long as you get plenty of practice with it.

I think it can have it's advantages and disadvantages, such has getting to the C-stick might be more difficult. But what do I know? I have no experience.

But I do know it could help out with short hop double lasers and such.

Well I need to be able to BXR in Halo
Ahaha, everyone should also master quad shooting. ****, that tech is hard in Halo 2.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I only claw when I'm using Kirby because he's the most technical character

and once again its impossible to waveshine without claw

ps. You guys really need to stop getting trolled so hard....

keeper

Smash Champion
Every technical player I've ever played or seen play around here doesn't claw.

Those players being:
Silent Wolf
Eggz
Juce
Aftermath

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
I only claw when I'm using Kirby because he's the most technical character

and once again its impossible to waveshine without claw

ps. You guys really need to stop getting trolled so hard....
Youve got to be joking. Kirby? Really?

BROWNxEYEDxBEAST

Smash Cadet
I claw with both hands. I like to play like an arcade fighter on a regular controller. It's comfortable for me.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple of friends that play claw and it does help them in a several areas.
Anything that has jump followed by another button quickly, Falcons quick jump U-air, Peach in general... they are seem to have a minute advantage on me in this department. Shine B-airs become insanely easy with claw for either for or falco. If you're going to be ruining your current play style don't bother... however if you are relatively new into the game, go claw it's nothing be advantageous. Though I heard it can be slightly uncomfortable starting out because people always have stiff hands when they first learn movements.

Top Bottom