• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Roy good for Doubles?

D

Deleted member

Not too long ago, I was at a PM/Melee tournament and I played Doubles with my partner.

I had my match recorded, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DJhujqsk_5Vc&sa=U&ei=2Ej0UpyCOoaSkQeko4DIDA&ved=0CD0QFjAF&usg=AFQjCNHqf7-KAXXzTtWFUPZ6ls6cNwnazQ

Now, I was really wondering if Roy was a viable character for Doubles. I've had somewhat good experiences with him in Doubles friendlies, but I really can't say anything since I have little knowledge when it comes to PM Roy in Doubles.

Have any of you guys had good results when playing him in Doubles? Or is he a lost cause when it comes to 2v2?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
it's a bit late, but i want to say, from my limited knowledge of pm roy, that you should function as a good mobile kill move and harasser, but you're going to be super fragile in a doubles environment, since roy offstage is really sad, so it's doubly sad with another person potentially available to edgeguard.

Ethereal_Sin

Smash Rookie
I'd assume that he can be pretty effective in doubles. Just with the swift killing moves alone that can be thrown out amidst the carnage.

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
I've been pondering for a while with my friend who mains Roy, would Marth + Roy be a good doubles team?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You need a really good partner to make up for Roy's weaknesses. He's super easy to combo and intercept off stage.

However, Roy is pretty good at finishing off characters combo-oriented allies rack up damage on, especially if they themselves have a hard time finishing foes off. Someone who can interupt comboes at long range like Falco can work well. I'm going to experiment perhaps with Game and Watch as a partner.

Last edited:

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
My partner and I went Peach(him)+ Roy(me) at Shuffle V and did pretty well. Roy is decent in doubles from what I can tell as long as you have someone that can at least moderately tank. Thanks to b-air, neutral b and, of course fsmash, he's a great mobile weapon, and the range and power of his n-air is hard to punish if spaced and shffld well (not to mention it hits all around him). Also, from what I saw, Marth is a good teammate for him, too. We had some trouble in our first match against a diddy and fox team, then Salt went Marth and we won the set. All in all, I think he's viable in doubles and I'm super glad he's better in this game :)

T-Murder

Smash Apprentice
I main roy but i personally find him to be a little too destructive in teams. I always end up going toon link in teams. However, it is rewarding to get an f smash on someone whose not paying attention. Some of this probably due to my lack of skill

Last edited:
Top Bottom