• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 4 a game non-competitive players plateau easily in?

DodgeDusk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DodgeDusk
3DS FC
3668-8055-4125
Note: I'm posting this thread in this sub-forum purely because the public has only had experience playing the 3DS version; things could maybe change in the Wii U version. If the moderating board thinks it's in the wrong sub-forum, my apologies

Now, before comments like, "Smash players can always improve their game," get chucked at me, here me out: I was having a conversation between a friend about our games a week or so ago, and he made these comments:

[06/10/2014 13:47:05] *name*: not like I'm ever gonna go to a smash tourney
[06/10/2014 13:47:09] *name*: don't like smash that much*
[06/10/2014 13:47:10] *name*: p:
[06/10/2014 13:47:20] DodgeDusk: :L
[06/10/2014 13:47:36] DodgeDusk: Nah man, I'm really digging this game
[06/10/2014 13:47:42] *name*: yeah I like it
[06/10/2014 13:47:52] *name*: idk how to explain my point
[06/10/2014 13:48:20] DodgeDusk: I get you
[06/10/2014 13:48:41] *name*: it's fun but you plateau really fast

*His opinion on Smash has changed a bit, I guess. I mean, he likes team battles. Not sure if that means anything

Now, I'm inclined to believe that he thinks that way because he isn't a player that's striving to constantly improve his game. He is also quite humble about his skills, but I think that's besides the point (for reference, I can only seem to beat him if I use my main. And even then, I gotta be in a good mood and concentrate really hard just to trade games with him. Unlike him, however, I'm really considering trying to go somewhat competitive this game)

So, if he keeps that mindset, has he plateaued? Does my question apply to all players like him? I'm quite unsure, myself. I mean, maybe I'm too inexperienced to say this, but I find it's difficult to see if he's improved his game since we both started playing each other. I also don't really have anybody else to compare him too, since others I know are either striving to better their games, or don't follow his mindset yet aren't competitive themselves. Yet, on the other hand, as I'm sure most of the people here know, Smash players can--and always--have the possibility to improve themselves, if they try hard enough

I think there's a grey area somewhere here, and I'm missing it. I could be missing something really painfully obvious here (I hope not). Is it that black and white? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Misworded the title. Meant to be "plateau quickly in", not "plateau easily in".

Last edited:

GoldenBoy25

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldenBoy12
3DS FC
5043-3152-3802
Plateauing is a universal thing that happens no matter what skill you're trying to learn. Whether it be a video game, an instrument, exercise, etc. The elite players are able to bust through their plateaus and improve over long periods of time. The ones who don't have a committed mindset usually trail off and stop practicing when things become too difficult.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Smash is a very accesible game - it's one of its strengths, and what keeps it selling gangbusters. That means that anyone can play a bit, and practice relatively easily until they find the level they find themselves comfortable at, be it simply able to take out the level 9 CPUs or being the best of their particular area. From there, competence can quickly be broadened rather than heightened - and in fact the sheer amount of content in the game (we have what, 50 characters now?) kind of encourages such a thing, since it's easy to get distracted from one's main to try another character that seems cool and so on ad infinitum, staying at a comfortable peak of strength but increasing your variety.

It takes a specific kind of mindset to go beyond this comfortable plateau and keep striving when the returns become increasingly diminishing. A mindset that honestly I don't have, myself!

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Probably, simply because you can reach a level of basic competence in the game (having control over your character and generally having some idea of what you should be doing with them) very fast compared to other fighters. In most Smash games, I can play every character on the roster to at least some degree. Of course, to become really good, you have to start learning the ins and outs of every matchup, like in every fighting game. This is where most people plateau because they never face enough high level competition to learn this matchup knowledge.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I think all of the Smash games have a very obvious plateau mechanism in them. Thankfully, this plateau is pretty high in this series (thanks to 9 levels of computer difficulty) so it helps to create new competitive smashers.

Top Bottom