• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is sonic popular in tournaments?

dj asakura

Smash Ace
^ seconded. I started out using Toon Link but something felt so dull when i played him, it just wasn't fun.

That's why Sonic (and Diddy) are so much better, so much fun to used

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Tink is lame, f-smash is OP. d-air is OP

WHY DOESNT SONICS SPIKE!?!?!?!?!

seriously, if his d-air spiked, he would be soooooo beast. and it wouldnt even be OP. it would just be a really good spammable move, just like shuttle loop.... oh wait shuttle loop is OP, more like MK d-smash.... wait, thats OP too. well anyway, it would be a really good move and make him tons better off of a single tinker with his move.

NNID
MasterHavik
So, people just jump to a character that isn't hard to use for an easy win. To tell you the truth, I throguht it was cheating using characters who were too good. I wanted someone who took skill, but still own. And I been doing well with sonci from my last two trouneys. So, I'm noone likeLucky, X, of Mr.3000, but I might try to get more people to use sonic at trouneys. I got a handfull t opick up Sonic as a character at my last trouney. So, let's not give up hope jsut yet guys.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I think I just wish that Sonic's d-air was different, maybe like fox's d-air? Or a Spike of some sort like diddy's.

But oh well, he's still fun as hell to use

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Where is this winning steak? >=o

And basically, unless you're very good with Sonic, the majority of tournaments you'll get your *** handed to you.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
People don't choose higher end characters because they want the *easy* win, it's more because they don't want to lose. I mean, if I were in an ASP situation and lost the first match, my opponent chooses Marth. Should I choose Ness just because I don't want the easy win? There's just no logic in that.

Sonic also has to be side taunting on that steak.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I was wondering why this thread had so many posts. Now I know why.

KASR has returned...

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is not popular in Western Canada tournaments. Every now and then someone uses him, but performs horribly. I haven't seen a Sonic player better than myself yet... and I'd rather not use him in tourneys.
*COUGH!*

Let me reassure you that good Sonic users are still alive and well in Western Canada, my friend~

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
TR4Q (Tiers R 4 Queers)
That's my philosophy. I want to find some tournaments around me so I can show off my skill! The last tournament I participated in was at my school a month ago, and I didn't place very high because I didn't have a lot of time to train with Sonic, I mained with Ness ever since ssb64 before I started using Sonic so yeah, but now I pwn with both so I need to represent! (I also main Luigi)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
TR4Q (Tiers R 4 Queers)
That's my philosophy. I want to find some tournaments around me so I can show off my skill! The last tournament I participated in was at my school a month ago, and I didn't place very high because I didn't have a lot of time to train with Sonic, I mained with Ness ever since ssb64 before I started using Sonic so yeah, but now I pwn with both so I need to represent! (I also main Luigi)
Let me guess. You're great because you always beat your friends right?

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Haha, smooth. That's why no one who's actually that good says they are (generally) tournament placings speak louder than typed words.

edit: i'm actually a little upset this was my 500th post...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
TR4Q (Tiers R 4 Queers)

What they said. Okay, Ash Ketchum, lets cool down and think this through.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Let me guess. You're great because you always beat your friends right?
I never said I was great, I just think I've improved and I haven't had a chance recently to compete. I just think I'm a lot better from the last tournament.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
TR4Q (Tiers R 4 Queers)
Just sayin.

If your game is evolving than good. But tiers do exist whether you like it or not.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just sayin.

If your game is evolving than good. But tiers do exist whether you like it or not.
I understand they exist, I just hate when people get harassed for playing as low tier characters, my best friend was at a tournament and got ridiculed for maining falcon. Also, I think you can win a game against a high tier character even if your using a lower tier character. but anyway, kinda getting off topic here. Is sonic popular at tournaments? at the one i was at, there was one other sonic...and there were like 30 kids there. A lot of Ike and Fox users (figures)

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I do agree there. It can be frustrating. I've had a couple of people tell me to just give up on Sonic because he's garbage.

Nobody seems to get the picture. The more people tell me to stop (especially with something like this), I'm only going to pursue it more. :p

NNID
MasterHavik
It not going to happen guys. I'm staying a sonic main, and there nothign anyone can do about it. It about what character we what t opaly, not what other expect us to paly as. Back in melee, people told me to give up G&W because he was trash, but I kept at with G&W to become good with him. Sonic sucks? Well, if you think that then your close to giving up Sonic, and going to an a different character. But if your a truth smashers, that pick whoever he want, then keep at it playa. In the end, let's not give up hope guys. Only people who are weka give up.

And that's the truth!!!

-smash name: SlyCopper23

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I love you guys. I'm a Meta Knight main, so you guys probably think im one of those bandwagon hoppers too, but I'm not. I loved Kirby in SSB so I played with im in SSBM even though he was "terrible". And before Brawl came out I was like, hmmm... MK looks sweet, Ima play with him. Unfortunately, lo and behold when the game hit shelves he was "overpowered" and super popular for it. But thats ok, cause when the metagame advances and people start to find a million and a half counters for MK and people flock to some other character, Ima stick with Mk.

P.S I still play with Kirby too, he's my secondary.

samper

Smash Cadet
MK is awesome, he's actually the only (currently anyway) overpowered character I'm willing to play with (used Snake when the game came out then found out about those busted hit boxes and couldn't bring myself to play as him...or any non Fox space animals for that matter). MK's just cool like that, and Wario too, that guy is awesome. He frame skips when he does stuff, FRAME SKIPS. Can't beat that (this of course was a joke to my friends who thought he sucked, then Wario spoiled all our fun by magically become semi top tier or something one day).

But yeah, I know how you feel Heavenly. I used Marth back in Melee long before I knew tiers existed in any game (I blame MVC2 for that) and I only found out that people played Melee competitively about 2 years ago so I know how it feels to be accused of being a fair weather fan.

...or at least I used to know :laugh:

samper

Smash Cadet
No, he doesn't lag the game, but if you watch him run (or do other moves) it doesn't look like all of a proper run animation is present, like parts of his running animation are cut out, namely areas in between when he has his feet on the ground. So unlike the rest of the cast all of whom have nice "smooth" running animations, Wario's run looks kind of choppy as though he's skipping frames in his animation (saying he frame skips is just my way of defining how he moves). If I'm still not making sense to you go to training mode, slow the game's speed, zoom in on him and start running or attacking. It should make sense then.

Anyway getting back on topic. My friend has a bunch of hard core smash buddies that like to do tournaments in...New Orleans I think, and I don't think they've ever mentioned Sonic before. And out of all the people I know, some of which are into the whole tournament scene, only one person other than me plays as Sonic, and he plays as him so he can brag to other people about how he beat them as Sonic, so I'm pretty sure given everything else I've read on the boards that he's not a popular tournament choice.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
It probably doesn't help that on every page we seem to have a tier discussion about how tiers don't exist and then how they clearly do and then we talk about something else again.

Every now and then we have something good though

Boxob

Smash Champion
Guys he's good, you just have to believe.

I also heard that if you live AND learn at the same time, he's even better.

I do all of those things, must be why I **** so much.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
It probably doesn't help that on every page we seem to have a tier discussion about how tiers don't exist and then how they clearly do and then we talk about something else again.

Every now and then we have something good though
So we're taking the roomful of monkeys could reproduce Shakespeare approach huh?

Guys he's good, you just have to believe.

I also heard that if you live AND learn at the same time, he's even better.

I do all of those things, must be why I **** so much.
Hey. I'll show you what I'm made of cause in my world compromise does not exist. That's how I plan to reach the other side of the rainbow.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
No, I'm not saying monkey's will reproduce shakespeare, I'm just saying we have enough knowledgeable people here to have an intelligent discussion and get some cool stuff accomplished. Obviously we're going to have some "less intelligent" things said for any number of reasons, it is the internet after all. But hey, eventually we'll have some solid things typed out here, though by here I do not mean this thread.

Either way, low tier or not, Sonic is fun and Sonic and can win, so I'll stick around

Top Bottom