• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is spamming such a crime?

SirSpamAlot

Smash Cadet
on the opposite of the map spamming arrows
Just look at my name...lol well anyways if it makes you win you're going to do it,if a person complains about spamming that means he couldn't do anything about it which means he is using a crappy character or is just crap at the game and needs to learn

Qaomen

Smash Cadet
Spamming doesn't exist in Brawl.
If 'spammy' attacks are in the game, there is a reason for it, and that's "using them to attack your opponent", not "use them to attack, but not too much because your opponent isn't good enough to dodge/counter it".
I don't think I have to say that they're too predictable that way. (How many times has that been said in this thread? xD)
And I know it's a pain to dodge those attacks on wi-fi, but it doesn't mean every 'normal' attack is easier to dodge. (I think they're harder.)

Tamoo

Smash Master
But whos to say that there is any correct or incorrect way to win. As long as you win, who cares how you got there. Its like saying that edgehogging can kill on low percentages so we shud not do it cos its not the correct way to win. Whatever the game has provided us with, we should take advantage of, instead of criticise. If you have a problem with spammers, find a way to counter it cos there are plenty of ways to counter it. There are plenty of applications of spamming in brawl, like damage limitation and pressure play. I personally dont like fighting spammers, but understand that its a legit strategy, and find a way to overcome it myself

K 2

Smash Lord
It's annoying and you probably shouldn't do it in friendlies, but in competitive plat (tournies), if spamming makes you win, then spam your hear out.

Chuee

Smash Hero
spamming becomes a crime once the person does it almost the entire match. Gets annoying.

Tamoo

Smash Master
good point darkNES, if they are spamming the entire match, it is because you are allowing them too. Just find a way round it, theres a weakness to every spammer, you just have to find it and exploit it. Spammers may be annoying, but they can be their own worst enemy at times

Hotmarth18

Smash Cadet
Spamming is a crime but i don't think picking a broken character is a crime though.

Depends what character you pick i guess.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Thank goodness this isn't an essay or anything

If spamming is a crime, will Olimar be exiled from Smash? The guy NEEDS Pikmin spam.

But besides things like that, it depends. If you're in a competitive scene, do what you need to do for the monies. Spam, edgehog, pick Metaknight, whatever. But in friendlies, YOU might be having fun, but if others aren't they probably won't play you again.

Coming from the other side, I don't spam. I use Bowser and ZSS, so it's impossible. And facing spammers, Bowser is freaking big and freaking slow, so he's gonna get hit. ZSS has a stupid high short hop and generally the most awkward approach I've seen since I mained Mewtwo in Melee. So spamming is really effective on me due to my choice of characters. And due to Stale Move Negation, the main danger of spamming is to the mind (sans Diddy's bananas). It's frustrating, but that's because such a simple tactic is giving your opponent the edge over you. So it's just something you need to work around. You'll feel better after you close the gap and smash your opponent in the face (in game, i mean).

It's just another tactic that you'll find annoying or devoid of any class whatsoever. Personally, when I use Bowser I have a complete and utter disregard for petty things like damage. ZSS I still have a problem with, because she's getting hurt and she doesn't have a big spiky shell to protect her. When all else fails, I used to use G&W for Oil Panic and maneuverability, but now I just use DK because Spiking is the solution to EVERYTHING.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Spamming can be annoying, but most of the time it proofs that you are battlin a newb, maybe because they can't do anything else? If it's not a noob and if it's a decent smasher who wants to win, your screwed in any way. Spamming means that you have to approach which is disadvantage. I won't let myself spammed, i spam back! (or i reflector, i main Fox XD) If that doesn't work you gotta approach. Spamming can be used strategic at times, but it gets annoying when your opponent does it like the whole match. Using falco's blaster at times is ok, but the whole match....

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
Spamming is something I have to consider annoying at times, and in friendlies and brawls where it doesn't matter who wins, I would probably wonder why you are trying so hard to win? People who also only know how to spam and do so the whole time without any strategy or skill also are the main type of spam people get annoyed by. However using Semi-Spam, I like to call where you sort of abuse your moves only because it is the best alternative to win the battle, and to get a good approach or pressure your opponent is acceptable, because you are really using it in a smart and tolerable way, and usually these people don't spam the whole match anyways so it is even more tolerable.

However for people who complain the whole match about spammers, it is possible to get around all spam, so you can either find a way to get around it yourself or do smarter spam. so if they are winning through spam and you are johning about it, you are most likely not very good yourself..

mc4

Smash Journeyman
yep it is a crime you can incorporate spam into a playing style and perfect it (imo many "pro's" spam) but it doesn't take skill to spam and people can pull off cheap wins sometimes. since i myself main snake this doesn't include projectiles or i would be quite the hypocrite (unless its multiple projectile spam ex links arrows bombs and boomerang).

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
Spammers are terrible. Two of my friends have to be the biggest spammers ever. One plays fox, and the other plays Wolf. I wipe the floor with them all day long which helps, but chasing them around is annoying. Before the game even starts I can hear their fingers hammering away at the B button until I get relatively close, where they then roll as far away as possible and spam some more lasers. I find plenty of ways around it, and win 9/10 of the time, but that doesnt make the experience any less annoying. I hate to say I ever mained Wolf now...god I hate F-smash...

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Spamming can be good and bad > therefore it is not a crime.

Falcon Punch spam makes you lose BUT I have gotton KOs from doing it which annoyed people.

Whorenado spam makes you untouchable BUT it IS possible to kill yourself with it and there are ways around it.

SarahPalin

Smash Cadet
I use Olimar and Pikmin throw's are very useful.

If you want to come near me and fight, then sure, obviously spamming pikmins when your up in my fishbowl is not the way to go.

However, if you trying to avoid my grab game and doing some hit and runs, then I am going to spam my pikmins at you.

Why?

Am I suppose to 'wait' for you to come and get me?
No. I'm here to beat you and if you want to play a ranged game, then I'm going to play a ranged game.

Being cheap or 'crime' is no using the same moves over and over again. If you lose to the same move over and over again, then you suck. If you can't understand that if you get 'x' amount too close, you're going to be peppered by pikmins then you deserve to get peppered by pikmins.

My opinion of 'cheap' + 'crime' is when you purposly AVOID the opponent and retreat into using a single skill. As in, if you coming at me (twss) and I run away and chuck pikmin at you and keep running, that's a crime.

But if it's throwing when dodging + fighting, that's just called a combo.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Thread Summary: Spamming is fairly frustrating due to the sheer amount of work it takes to retain defense, and forces you too approach. However, it is very effective and is up to the the other player to outplay the spammer.

Practice your SHAD and Power Shielding kids.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Spamming isn't necessarily bad,, but it's just incredibly noobish...

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
eh... do what u need to do to win... at least at tourney.. but when practicing.. u should practice somethin a little more useful other than using the same move over and over again...

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
I know where you're coming from, but the only spammers I've seen do just that: spam one frickin' move over and over again. Sry, but I really hate spammers.

rayman1234

Smash Cadet
I only find spamming annoying on wifi... only cause the lag messes up things i do to block spamming, like walk -> perfect shield or short hop airdodge and some other stuff. Offline is pretty easy to avoid spamming though so i dont mind it offline.

KO M

Smash Apprentice
People who think spam is wrong, seriously needs to get it through they're heads.
That it is a tactic, a bad one at that but tactic none the less, a good player over comes it, spam is predictable , and can be easily delt with as for ledge camping, why are u getting angry, just because they use that tactic to win. It a tactic, and if you cant understand that, then your juts pathetic, who would rather complain instead of practicing, and using that time to perfect them selves, to deal with such tactics.

Seriously stop. Competitive or not, use your ideas the way you want, most people are not transcendentalists, most people are followers, so what? In way they do what they want, and do not care what others think. As the way it should be.

wangston

Smash Lord
It's only a crime on wifi because it's much harder to react to. If your playing offline spam away, it's the persons fault for not jumping, power shielding, or reflecting.

Ledge camping is the worst. Don't do it. It will reduce the game to getting the first kill then camping the ledge. Lol planking.

computer(uber)

Smash Rookie
wasn't such a crime in melee...
But in brawl every move is harder to punish, so at some point it becomes annoying.
But w/e spam projectile if that is your play style, no rules are against it at least I think.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Spamming isnt a crime in most situations, as it is a relativley easy playstyle to punish once you recognize it

Locking however, should mean disqualification or something :/

Getting lazer-locked for example, isnt fun, shows no skill(outside of seeing when to do it), and is IMO an exploit.

PillowPants

Smash Apprentice
...if i play with ness, tk fire is my best friend cuz it immobalizes the enemy,.....lot of down smashers cant stand the tk fire lol,.....
Lol ^win^ wtf? u main ness rite? If its ur best friend y dont u no the real name its "PK" fire, oh an btw his neutral B, is PK "Flash" a lot of ppl call it PK Cross or Bronx >.>

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Here's the thing about spamming (offline):

If your opponent is just flat out, the dumbest sack of sh*t to keep falling for the same trick over and over: then do it to embarrass them.
If you just run and spam, run and spam, run and spam: then you deserve all insults, be spat on from others, and kicked into the dirt.

Riku00

Smash Ace
Spammers can suck on it hard anyone who spams agianst me will make me angry and then ill uleash all fury LOL!!!!!:rotfl: But seriousely if you pay attention the people who always spam projectiles or (cheap) moves are the ones who slip and fall the most.:idea:

Riku00

Smash Ace
People who think spam is wrong, seriously needs to get it through they're heads.
That it is a tactic, a bad one at that but tactic none the less, a good player over comes it, spam is predictable , and can be easily delt with as for ledge camping, why are u getting angry, just because they use that tactic to win. It a tactic, and if you cant understand that, then your juts pathetic, who would rather complain instead of practicing, and using that time to perfect them selves, to deal with such tactics.

Seriously stop. Competitive or not, use your ideas the way you want, most people are not transcendentalists, most people are followers, so what? In way they do what they want, and do not care what others think. As the way it should be.
im not trying to be mean but the critics say that this post is REPETITIVE!REPETITIVE!REPETITIVE!
:rotfl: :bigthumbu

Top Bottom