• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Super Smash Brothers your life?

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how big of apart smash brothers plays in your lives. Is it your entire life? I know people that play daily for many hours, even on facebook, my smash brother friends seem to only talk about smash in their news feed or reference smash brothers when they are speaking about the real world, "The President "Falcon punched Osama" or "Did you see that girl, I want to chain grab her ****". I mean, me and some others that retired the game(wasn't that active when not retired anyway) a while ago still play it twice or so a month for an hour but I think some people are addicted to it. They only go outside to socialize if it is a tournament, they only speak about smash even at parties, they don't watch Tv shows anymore, only live stream of people playing smash, I don't know, seems unhealthy. I know not everyone does this, but majority do so I want to know what you do outside of smash. It is all about balance. Oh and the big kicker, people call each other by their smash names when in public, some don't even know the person's real name and they been gaming with them since they were a fetus.

Age?
Job title?
College Major?
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Hours a week you play?
Hobbies outside smash?
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Melee is my girlfriend I go out with in public and Brawl is the secret Boyfriend

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Age?
Job title?
Freelance programer
College Major?
Currenlty getting one in computer science
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Gf, yes.
Hours a week you play?
It depends, lately I've been playing a lot cause I'm recording a video series of tutorials, I usually play like 3 or 4 hours when I do that. Weekly I'll say about 14-16 hours.
Hobbies outside smash?
I play Dota too sometimes and I weightlift at home, got 315lbs on weight plates, squat stands and a bench.
Well, when you're kid you have so much time and hype that I wouldn't see anything bad about it if the time playing is kept in moderation and they don't get issues like insomnia, fatigue because lack of sleep or tendonitis in the hands or some other crap because they play hardcore too much.

Find something else to do in your free time, if you don't like sports at least read some books, or go out and have fun with your friends doing something else besides playing smash.

Last edited:

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
Age?
15 almost 16.
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
No,
Hours a week you play?
4 or 5 hours
Hobbies outside smash?
Drawing, watching movies, hanging out and designing my own games.
Do something else.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Age?
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Sadly, nope.
Hours a week you play?
Probably 6 at most, on the weekends
Hobbies outside smash?
YouTube, Skype, Paranormal, Drawing, being creative
Try to play other games, maybe.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Age? 20, just about 21
Job title? Student/Freelance concept artist
College Major? Game Art & Design
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Yes.
Hours a week you play? Not a lot.
Hobbies outside smash? Sports. Food. Art. Snowboarding. League of legends. sitting in my room and being a hermit because of school.
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? read a freakin book. smash is just a game. remember that its like sports: only a miniscule percentage of the population will be able to be successful.

Vashimus

Smash Master
smash is just a game. remember that its like sports: only a miniscule percentage of the population will be able to be successful.
A guitar is just an instrument. Remember: only a miniscule percentage of the population will end up actually being rockstars.

Being addicted to Smash to the point where it's all you do and it overshadows more important things is a problem, no doubt. You have to have some moderation, and variety is the spice of life. But the phrase "It's just a game" is a patronizing kick in the balls for people who enjoy the hobby and feel passionate about it.

Idk, maybe I'm just b*tching. As far as the thread goes on advice for those addicted, Smash will always be there, but life is constantly passing you by. What do you want to look back on?

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Age? 17
Job title? Zumiez
College Major? N/A
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Broke up
Hours a week you play? about a hour or so
Hobbies outside smash? Stakeboarding, playing soccer, work Party with dudes,
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction
Smoking is a good start.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
A guitar is just an instrument. Remember: only a miniscule percentage of the population will end up actually being rockstars.

Being addicted to Smash to the point where it's all you do and it overshadows more important things is a problem, no doubt. You have to have some moderation, and variety is the spice of life. But the phrase "It's just a game" is a patronizing kick in the balls for people who enjoy the hobby and feel passionate about it.

Idk, maybe I'm just b*tching. As far as the thread goes on advice for those addicted, Smash will always be there, but life is constantly passing you by. What do you want to look back on?
that doesnt mean you shouldnt enjoy it
it means you shouldnt get hung up on it or ruin the enjoyment imo

i have way too many friends who take games way to seriously and it makes gaming with them horrible because they arent enjoying it anymore
when you let games take over, its bad
hobbies should be good uwu

and im saying this as a game art student, so games are supposed to be ~my life~
(buncha crap no one has time to play games HOW ARE MY FRIENDS PLAYING TITANFALL RIGHT NOW)

Last edited:

almostdaft

Smash Rookie
NNID
skmaynard
3DS FC
4914-3142-0794
Job title?
Security Officer
College Major?
I went to college for two years for criminal justice. I eventually had to drop out due to financial issues. I should go back, but I'm not sure where to start or where I even want to start.
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Wife.
Hours a week you play?
Depends if my friends come over.
Hobbies outside smash?
I play League of Legends and Tera. I like to attempt at cooking occasionally.
I had a bad addiction to gaming in school, I was lucky enough to eventually just burn it. I played so, so many games over the course of a decade that I just got tired of trying to conquer every little adventure. I just...slowed down. I stopped playing video games so much because it felt more like a chore at the end of the day. A silly chore to be the first to play it, beat it, and master it.

Today, I spend time with my then-girlfriend-now-wife whenever I can. I go out to eat with friends and talk about day-to-day things, and make room to find myself in other things. We play some Nintendo games sometimes, but usually not for long--we're slowly making it through Super Mario World 3D. I still make time for gaming, I just don't do it +10 hours a day like I used to.

My addiction to gaming didn't just bring out the worse of me, but also help defined how I am. I still keep in touch with a nest of friends I discovered online in a early SSB forum over AIM. I remember sitting up late at night, about 4 AM, just talking to these guys about anything. Not sure if they know it, but I owe them a lot. I was very shy in public up until a few years with those guys.

So, I don't personally know how to stop a general gaming addiction--I kind of rode mine a little too hard and it just died. I sacrificed grades in school and a lot of money for something silly. I'm sure though, if you believe you have a problem, it probably doesn't hurt to look into it. A google search might get you somewhere.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Age?
Job title?
unemployed
College Major?
computer science and math
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
single
Hours a week you play?
I play Project M Wednesday and Saturday nights for a total of 12-13 hours per week.
Hobbies outside smash?
procrastination
I'm far from an addict, but I don't have my own life in order, so I shouldn't be giving advice. :p

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I really like this game, maybe even love this game. It's been a great distraction form my probleems, a wonderful distraction form my problems and its nice being in a community that can make you feel like you're a part of someething bigger than yourself. But I pity anyone whose life revolves around this game is addicted to smash. That is so pathetic! There really shouldn't be any singular things that consumes anyone's life, especially not a video game.

Job title: Information Systems Technician
College Major: Geography
Girlfriend or Boyfriend: No
Hours a week you play: 0
Hobbies outside smash: Chess, reading, theory crafting
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction: Try dating or reading.

Zen Ocarina

Smash Rookie
I am a complete lurker, just starting to not lurk, and a pretty casual player.

Job title: grad student
College major: mechanical engineering
Girlfriend or Boyfriend: taken
Hours a week you play 1-5
Hobbies outside smash: Karate
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction: chill

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Age? 17
Job title? Wumbologist
College Major? Wumbology
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? In a parallel universe
Hours a week you play? More than I can count on all of my fingers and toes
Hobbies outside smash? Smashing people in real life. Or eating
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? Stop Smashing Start eating

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I know people that play daily for many hours, even on facebook, my smash brother friends seem to only talk about smash in their news feed or reference smash brothers when they are speaking about the real world, "The President "Falcon punched Osama" or "Did you see that girl, I want to chain grab her ****".

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Age? 19
Job title? Video Editor
College Major? Dropped out, might go back.
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Have a girlfriend
Hours a week you play? As of right now: 0 (i know right)
Hobbies outside smash? Tekken, hiking,
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? Go out for a stroll somewhere. Anywhere.

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
19 Almost 20
Supervisor at a movie theater
Fine Arts Major (I know I know I have no job future blah blah blah)
Nope single as all hell
6 to 8 hours a week
Hobbies? Drawing, bass guitar, history learnin's
Honestly if you have a real problem you really need to get help or find another healthier way to spend your time.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Age? 18
Job title? programmer (founder of WindozeNT Software)
College Major? none
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? None
Hours a week you play? varies
Hobbies outside smash? programming, emulation
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? try running Brawl on a RADEON X300 graphics card on highest resolution (and try not to shoot yourself in the process)

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Age? 21
Job title? Pizza Delivery Driver/Student
College Major? Psychology
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Single atm
Hours a week you play? Depends on weekly work schedule+ availability of my friends... I'd say around 10-15 hours on average
Hobbies outside smash? Watching NBA basketball + the Survivor series, other video games, forum dwelling, chilling with friends, too cheap to buy books but I've been getting into online fanfiction recently, and I hope to start working out on a daily basis soon.
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? I used to be the guy that could sit in front of my TV playing video games all day but I just naturally grew out of it... Now I'd say I average maybe 2-3 hours a day thanks to work. If you're serious about breaking your addiction then just get a job or load up on school work. Both will force you away from the sticks.

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
Age? 20
Job title? YouTuber/Streamer
College Major? Studio Arts/Poli Sci - Dropped out
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Have a girlfriend
Hours a week you play? 10+
Hobbies outside smash? Other games, art, banjo, cello, piano, writing
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? Find something you love doing and do it. Also travel.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Job title: Student
College Major: Education
Girlfriend or Boyfriend: Girlfriend
Hours a week you play: 5, give or take a few
Hobbies outside smash: Playing/watching baseball, and of course gaming
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction: There is a big world out there with a lot of amazing things to try. It's great to love something and put your heart into it, but don't make it your whole life. You could be missing out on so much.

R0Y

Smash Master
Age? ??
Job title? ??????????????
College Major ????????????????
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? ???
Hours a week you play? ??
Hobbies outside smash? ????????????????????????????????
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? ???????? ???????????? ?? ???????? ????? ???? ??? ? ? ? ? ??????????? ?? ? ? ?

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The type of people @ starcock starcock mentions in the OP don't just have Smash as their life, they are straight up obsessed and brainwashed by it. Like it's the sole hobby that makes them function on a daily basis. You know it's bad when you reference things from a game the people within your circle don't get. I used to do that a lot until I realized why it barely works. Hell, I still do a little bit just for kicks! It's when people go to the level of fixation described that anyone, especially strangers, will find you unapproachable. Gods, that actually sound more deprecating to be them than to watch them. That would make the game really boring for me really quick. :urg:

Job Title?: Currently unemployed
College Major?: Gaming Design/Simulation
Girlfriend?: Had one
Hours a Week You Play?: I estimate 20-26 per week depending on activity and motivation. I got that number from my 3-4 hours a day in Brawl lately * 6.
Hobbies Outside Smash?: Browsing the net & posting on Smashboards, both of which usually result in binging and procrastination. Other than that, I am piquing an interest in drawing and I want to get myself back into reading/writing. I have been doing some things like feeding my muse through novels and movies, but at my rate, I feel like I'm not doing much to make a change. You can also list homework and conversing with, eating with, and playing games with friends.
Suggestions to Help Others Stop Their Addiction?: Never felt addicted like my body needed something to function. More like really fixated in what I was doing even if my mind is telling me I had enough. Really depends on your discipline. If you want to stop doing something, then you need to freaking act on your conscious! I know, it feels really hard because it could feel pleasureful or your mind feels rewarded. But once you make yourself stop, then you feel better about yourself. I recommend the book Self Discipline In 10 Days by Theodore Byrant; it's an entertaining read that outlines how your conscious and procrastination work. Also, I recommend listening to the TED Talk Mel Robbins - F--- YOU - How to Stop Screwing Yourself Over. And for the more techy people, try using LeechBlock for Firefox or Google Chrome, which you can make custom blocklists for webpages that may distract you while doing homework, writing, etc.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Age? 18
Job title? Unemployed
College Major? Thinking history or creative writing.
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Boyfriend.
Hours a week you play? Not sure. Before my old wii broke, I had over 500 hours of playtime on Brawl, so I guess a lot. lol Now I don't play it all that much. I'm waiting for the Wii U game to come out.
Hobbies outside smash? Playing video games in general, reading, surfing the net, and writing when I can get my *** in gear.
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? As awesome as smash is, reality is just waiting to punch you in the face. I must admit; there's been times in my younger years that I've been basically obsessed with playing a certain video game, but I've learned that you can't let them rule your life. Whether you are just in love with Smash, want to escape from something, or wish you were in a video game physically yourself (I have and still do, occasionally), don't let it rule your life. Just...don't. There's so much more you can do in this world. I'm just starting to realize that myself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Age? 21
Job title? Emergency Medical Tech. (EMT-I/99 to be specific)
College Major? N/A
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Girlfriend
Hours a week you play? Depends on the week, but I'd average around 6+ hours a week. I get enough free time to where I'm not clamoring for it.
Hobbies outside of smash? Playing other games, reading, going out with friends, browsing the net
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? Go outside, find something else to do, find something else you enjoy doing. Unless you're some sort of hardcore tournament player, Smash is a pastime and a hobby, not a religion or a job.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Age?

Job title?
High school student

College Major?
Entering in the fall as a Computer Science major (w/a minor in journalism)

Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
There's a qt gril I've been seeing, nothing official yet

Hours a week you play?
~15-20

Hobbies outside smash?
Soccer, piano, listening to music, vidya, film

Stop playing video games u nerd ;) no but actually, try taking a walk, going outside, asking to hang out with a friend, take an extended break from the game

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Smash is pretty much my most loved game series for a decade now. I don't believe any game should be anyone's life , closest would be if they're making money rain through tournaments and sponsorship. Balance in all things and all that.

Job title: Student, working hospitality part time
College Major: Psychology
Girlfriend or Boyfriend: Yes gf
Hours a week you play: Barely anything anymore. Used to play Brawl almost everyday, but died down now. I'm sure when smash4 comes out I'll be playing on the daily again.
Hobbies outside smash: Exercising. Dancing. League of Legends. Tv shows.
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction: Take up smoking. Make some friends.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Age? ??
Job title? ??????????????
College Major ????????????????
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? ???
Hours a week you play? ??
Hobbies outside smash? ????????????????????????????????
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? ???????? ???????????? ?? ???????? ????? ???? ??? ? ? ? ? ??????????? ?? ? ? ?
wow
much emotion
many punctuation

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Age?
Job title?
College Major?
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Hours a week you play?
Hobbies outside smash?

Jobless bum

Game Design

None......though I have a special somebody in mind.......

Probably 20 or so

Ping Pong, game developing (title is in development!!), sketching, martial arts, fantasizing, trumpeteer, and web page designing

Treat smash like a hobby and it will be one.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Smash was a big part of my life. I still play today (mostly by myself sadly). That said, having a kid to raise and a girlfriend does cut deep in console gaming time. Regardless, I will forever be a player and fan of Smash Bros..

Job title: Unemployed

College Major: N/A

Girlfriend or Boyfriend: Girlfriend

Hours a week you play: Give or take 30 hours, depending on timing.

Hobbies outside smash: Gee, I don't have much of a hobby I can think of.

Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction: Play other games or have a kid (biological or otherwise).

Last edited:

JoshCube2

Banned via Warnings
I stopped attending tournaments years ago mainly because I was sick of the amount of ass hats during this time. It was near impossible to make friends since everyone was gun-ho on winning tournaments, and people who weren't that good mainly got badmouthed. I'm glad this ended now with CoD in the picture.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Age? 19.

Job title? Pretty ***** reppin' ***** Mob.

College Major? Doesn't apply to me. But I'm hoping to work on a Bachelor, Master then possibly a Ph.D in astrophysics in the future.

Girlfriend or Boyfriend? On the sacred pilgrimage of becoming a wizard.

Hours a week you play? 1 - 2. I would play more. But I've reached a level of laziness so high, I can't even get myself to do any of the things I like doing.

Hobbies outside smash? I sing and play the piano. The former better than the latter. And I do masochistic challenges on JRPG vidyer gems. Apart from that my life is fairly vapid.

Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? Stop being a nerd, turbonerds. :nifty:

Palmerfan

Smash Apprentice
Age? 15
Job title? N/A
College Major? N/A
Girlfriend or Boyfriend? Nope
Hours a week you play? 30-40
Hobbies outside smash? Playing trumpet, playing other games, working out
Suggestions for others to help stop their addiction? Do other things to keep your mind and body busy and off smash. I used to be addicted to League of legends but I stopped it by doing these things

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Age?
Job title?
n/a.
College Major?
n/a.
Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Both.
Hours a week you play?
Too many.
Hobbies outside smash?
What?
Don't.

Top Bottom