• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is the Gamecube controller worth it?

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I started playing Smash at brawl and I never owned a Gamecube, alot of people say playing with the Gamecube controller is alot easier and better than playing with others.

I'm planning on using the Wii U Gamepad, and... Well I know you might not believe it but the Wii Remote, without a Nunchuk...
I've been playing with the Wiimote for a long time and I got used to it and I still play pretty good with it.

So is the Gamecube controller really worth buying?
(P.S: If I buy the Gamecube controller I'm gonna buy a Smash Bros edition one and the adapter which is 50$)

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
It's mostly for us with a decade of muscle memory using the controller. Any controller with sufficient buttons that you're comfortable using will be fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People tend to use GameCube Controllers since they've been playing Smash since Melee, and for the fact that they're wired. However, the L and R buttons are pressure-sensitive, and pressure sensitivity never returned in Brawl.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
People just prefer using the controller they have always played smash with. It's not a must have for smash bros, any controller with 2 joysticks will be good. I personally will be using the Wii U pro controller.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
So is it actually good to use the Wii U Gamepad? I imagine it being hard to get used to since the stick is pretty awkward for smash, but its still gonna work. Also there's the C-Stick for a quick smash attack!

People just prefer using the controller they have always played smash with. It's not a must have for smash bros, any controller with 2 joysticks will be good. I personally will be using the Wii U pro controller.
I might actually consider buying a Pro Controller... It's stick is really nice.

I can already imagine how bad my Classic Controller is gonna be with smash :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Gamepad is fine, just don't smash too hard with it because the gamepad is the last kind of controller you'd want to break :bee:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So will I. I won't see myself using the GamePad much, except for the features that actually require its usage.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
I will say that one point for the Gamecube controller over other controllers offered on the system is the right stick / button layout. I primarily game on Playstation / Xbox / PC, so the Wii U having its right stick above the face buttons is all kinds of awkward for me. Breaks all of my muscle memory every time I go to play a Wii U game. I picked up a Nyko controller that has the Xbox 360 layout, and I generally find that controller to be superior to the Wii U Pro controller.

If you're not used to the Gamepad / Pro layout, or you're very used to every other controller's layout, I'd say a Gamecube controller (or the Nyko) would be worth it just to retain muscle memory built from decades of use across multiple systems and console generations. But really, Wii U stick layout on the right side really bothers me.

Uniit

Another random dude
For me, I will totally use a Gamecube controller, and certainly because i'm used to it, but also because it's wired, as i plan to play competitively. From my brawl experience, wireless controller make a big deal when attending to tournaments, as it require to sync everytime you change station, and you must remove batteries when you aren't playing, because it can mess with people's game on your previous station. Not to mention that i have a good number of controller already.

But i can understand why people plan on using Pro Controllers, as it has the same layout as the 3DS, and you got used to it by other WiiU games. Although, you shouldn't use the WiiU Game pad, for reasons stated before, or the wiimote alone, because of the lack of sticks and less buttons.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The biggest reason I'm going to keep using the Gamecube is the button symmetry. That's more important to me, from a comfort standpoint, than control consistency (for which I'd get a U Pro Controller, since it's most similar to the 3DS version). Plus, Wired is infinitely better than Wireless when multiple players, a college dorm in a big city, and tight reaction times are involved. Doesn't allow any room for excuses related to connection strength. Also doesn't require batteries (or battery charging).

That and, why fix what isn't broken? With the adapter, I can play literally every Smash Bros game except 3DS using the same controller.

Last edited:

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
what I'm wondering about is; doesn't the pro controller have buttons, in Particular an extra L trigger?
also would getting technical combos off be better on the pro controller as the distance between x and b is shorter? (I'm imagining multi shine with fox on gcn vs pro.
I'm torn as well. wondering if pro controller might be the right change I need to up my game

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I can already imagine how bad my Classic Controller is gonna be with smash :p
What's wrong with CC? I plan to use it in SSB4, and I feel very comfortable with it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I find the CC to be not very ergonomic at all. I could use it if I had to, but I would never choose it if I had the Pro or GC controller as options.

And I don't know why on earth anyone would choose the Wii controller. I had to use that to play the New Super Mario Bros game on Wii and my hands cramped up for months after. It is the least ergonomic controller I have ever used when held sideways.

the8thark

Smash Lord
What's wrong with CC? I plan to use it in SSB4, and I feel very comfortable with it.
You have to use it wireless with the Wiimote. If I could bypass the Wiimote for it I'd use that controller as it's my favourite. But because we can't I'll stick to the WiiU Pro Controller.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
The stick is really weak and It doesn't function very well with a fast paced game, also it's uncomfortable to hold in your hands, and the stick also gets stuck, alot. (For me I guess)

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
If you have GCN controllers on-hand from being the owner of a Gamecube, I'd shell out the extra money for the adapter at minimum alongside the base game. I'm doing this, which will save me $20 versus getting the Smash bundle for $100, which is a good deal if you don't have a GCN controller already.

So yes, I'm definitely using Gamecube controllers for this game almost exclusively, though the Pro Controller does look appealing - not high on my priority list of things to buy, though.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I personally think that the GC controller is overrated, but I still use one. Although, I am very curious to see how the Wii U Pro Controller plays like. I have some ideas when it comes down to custom controls that I want to try out before I say which one I think is better though.

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Here go my two cents: I used to use the GameCube controller but I dropped it and the L button died so I couldn't use the shield so I started using the Wii Remote + Nunchuk and I'm telling you, it's really comfortable.

tl;dr I don't think the GameCube controller is necessary. Use whatever you feel the best smash player with!

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
It depends. Really is what you're used to. Thats why so many people use GC.
I personally think that the Gamecube controller is the purest Smash experience, then again Melee was my first Smash so probably a bit biased.
Whatever you use and feel most comfortable with works best. Heck, I know someone who actually used the Wii remote for Brawl, and liked it.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I have 3 pro controllers and 8 Gamecube controllers(3 of which are brand new from play asia). I plan on trying out the pro controll as well.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Can anyone confirm whether or not the GC controller shields on any press of the L/R now or is it digital click like it was in Brawl?

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I started playing Smash at brawl and I never owned a Gamecube, alot of people say playing with the Gamecube controller is alot easier and better than playing with others.

I'm planning on using the Wii U Gamepad, and... Well I know you might not believe it but the Wii Remote, without a Nunchuk...
I've been playing with the Wiimote for a long time and I got used to it and I still play pretty good with it.

So is the Gamecube controller really worth buying?
(P.S: If I buy the Gamecube controller I'm gonna buy a Smash Bros edition one and the adapter which is 50$)
If it works for you, it works for you. I played Brawl/PM with a Wii Mote/Nunchuk for years, but the moment I switched to the Gamecube controller, all hell broke loose.

Just go ahead and use it. You'll find it alot more fluid than the other options.

Last edited:

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
what about the trigger pro controller has that gcn doesn't? what will that be used for.

also will tech combos be easier to accurately pull off on the pro controllers grid style button layout? I know x b x b I'd tricky on gcn as they're spaced far and the large a in between

Mode

Smash Cadet
Get a CC Pro. I started playing brawl with a gamecube controller and when I got CC Pro I couldn't go back. It's pretty much the same but lighter.

Top Bottom