• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a list for the length of wavedashes?

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I am practicing wavedashes and all I know is that Luigi has the longest and the two in the dresses have the shortest. However I want to work my way down to good use of the wavedashes from longest to shortest in an order. Can someone send me a link to a list showing a list of wavedashes' lengths from longest to shortest or vice versa?

Noodles n' stuff

Smash Rookie
What do you mean by "work your way down"?[/QUOTE]

Im assuming he meant that he was goin to practice wavedahes from "easiest" to "hardest," sort of, starting from luigi down to peach and zelda.it seems to be a good idea on paper but when are you goin to use bowsers wave dash

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean by "work your way down"?
Im assuming he meant that he was goin to practice wavedahes from "easiest" to "hardest," sort of, starting from luigi down to peach and zelda.it seems to be a good idea on paper but when are you goin to use bowsers wave dash[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I mean. (The quote messed up)

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
That's exactly what I mean. (The quote messed up)
Just learn it with your main. You don't need to individually learn each character's wavedash timing, since once you can wavedash consistently you'll be able to adjust to doing it with a slightly different timing without much trouble. You certainly don't need to practice every character in sequence; if you learn to wavedash well enough with one character then by the time you would otherwise move on to the next character you would no longer need to do so.

Sticking with one timing (i.e. one jumpsquat length) while you're learning will help you learn it faster and more easily.

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Just learn it with your main. You don't need to individually learn each character's wavedash timing, since once you can wavedash consistently you'll be able to adjust to doing it with a slightly different timing without much trouble. You certainly don't need to practice every character in sequence; if you learn to wavedash well enough with one character then by the time you would otherwise move on to the next character you would no longer need to do so.

Sticking with one timing (i.e. one jumpsquat length) while you're learning will help you learn it faster and more easily.
But most of my mains have short wavedashes. Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, and Jiggs, so it's hard to do anything out of a wavedash with my mains. The longest wavedash of someone I main is Marth, but he's not my only character. I usually pick Pichu or Kirby and they both have short wavedashes, so it's super hard for me to make a good use out of their wavedashes.

Stride

Smash Ace
But most of my mains have short wavedashes. Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, and Jiggs, so it's hard to do anything out of a wavedash with my mains. The longest wavedash of someone I main is Marth, but he's not my only character. I usually pick Pichu or Kirby and they both have short wavedashes, so it's super hard for me to make a good use out of their wavedashes.
If you claim to have ≥5 mains then you don't have any mains; you can play multiple characters but your main is the one you focus on the most by a large margin in practice and exclusively or almost-exclusively in tournament. Trying to "main" that many characters spreads yourself too thin and reduces both the speed and depth of your learning. You don't have to choose a main immediately, but you really should settle on one as soon as you can, or at least be in the process of doing so rather than trying to maintain that many characters at your peak and push them (especially if you're including Pichu and Kirby amongst them).

If you're talking about learning to apply wavedashing rather than just learning to do the input, then that's something that works differently for every character. Still, there are many things that wavedashing allows all characters to apply and benefit heavily from, including: grabbing the ledge by wavedashing to it, punishing a laggy attack on shield by wavedashing out of shield into something, and continuing a combo or tech chase by wavelanding onto a platform.

One universal thing to keep in mind (which is particularly important and widely applicable) is that dashing cuts off access to many of your standing options, and wavedashing allows you to quickly gain access to those options again by putting you in a standing state (and while still moving, unless you wavedash down or do a very short wavedash); while wavedashing is a movement option, it is also a way of changing the state that you're in, and thereby changing your available options. In general, understanding what each option you choose commits you to (both in terms of what it restricts and what it allows) is a very important fundamental skill, and something to consider constantly when evaluating your play.

Even the characters with the least application for wavedashing still have so much to apply it to, and they require it to be played at a high level; so you can certainly learn to apply wavedashing with any character. While you can learn and apply some specific things without understanding them ("I can wavedash down tilt to approach with Marth", "I can wavedash out of shield instead of rolling", etc.), properly implementing them (rather than just "doing them") requires understanding, and is a continuous process that will continue for as long as you keep playing or thinking about the game (and thereby further your understanding). If you focus on thinking about wavedashing on a more fundamental level (in terms of option coverage, commitment, advantage/disadvantage, etc.) rather than looking for specific things to do that you think the character should be doing, then you'll find it easier to implement fully and end up implementing it better in the long term.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I direct everyone who's practicing wavedashing to practice wavedashing with Ice Climbers. They have the 2nd longest wavedash and the fastest (least-laggy) wavedash.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean the length of the wave dash doesn't matter at all for the timing. The only thing that matters is the jump squat, and then your angle will decide whether you get max distance or not

Assuming we are talking about actual good wave dashes at least

Last edited:

Jmoney

Smash Rookie
Saying that someone has the "easiest" wavedash cause it's the slowest (or the longest?) is ********. For some people, the wavedash with the fastest timing is the most natural, and for some, slower wavedashes are natural. Practice wavedashing on the character you play, no one else.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Saying that someone has the "easiest" wavedash cause it's the slowest (or the longest?) is ********. For some people, the wavedash with the fastest timing is the most natural, and for some, slower wavedashes are natural. Practice wavedashing on the character you play, no one else.
So a long wavedash doesn't necessarily mean a good wavedash? I see.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
So a long wavedash doesn't necessarily mean a good wavedash? I see.
Samus (also Sheik) arguably has a better wavedash than Marth, despite not being as long. Samus has the least-laggy type of wavedash, whereas Marth's is somewhat laggy.

For practicing, a long wavedash is better because it's easier to distinguish between a good and a great wavedash.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
Samus (also Sheik) arguably has a better wavedash than Marth, despite not being as long. Samus has the least-laggy type of wavedash, whereas Marth's is somewhat laggy.

For practicing, a long wavedash is better because it's easier to distinguish between a good and a great wavedash.
I wouldn't call any wavedash more laggy than any other; they all have the same 10 frames of LandFallSpecial lag, just with different startup times due to different jumpsquat durations (the distinction between starting and ending lag matters because the character doesn't start moving until after jumpsquat). Technically it's still "lag" (just startup lag instead of ending lag), but I've only heard the term "laggy" used to refer to moves with long ending lag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom