• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is There Ever a Time That it is Useful to Switch to Sheik?

The Coach

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to decide if there is ever a situation where down b would be useful. As far as I can tell, it seems to have no use.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well you wait until 3.5 comes out. THEN it will REALLY have some use haha.

In all seriousness though, there are times when it's opportune to switch to Sheik, because she is faster and has access to some pretty decent moves Zelda doesn't. Also, when in midair and changing to Sheik, you can buffer a move so you instantly use it when done transforming. Sheik has good moves, like Ftilt, that combos into itself, and Uair, which is remarkably fast. Nair is a sex kick move and Bair is pretty long ranged. Sheik's needles also are great for stopping approaches, and will be good at nerfing once again when recoveries are not so crazy in 3.5.

For more info on Sheik, please visit the Triforce of Wisdom thread, but other people will probably post here too!!

4tlas

Smash Lord
I just did very well tonight in tournament by using both Zelda and Sheik! Some of the things I transformed to Sheik for (that weren't just "Sheik's matchup is better here"):

-Detonate dins. To edgeguard low and far simultaneously as Zelda, I place super large dins and then transform. That usually knocks them up and deals significant damage, and then I am Sheik for an easy followup edgeguard or an easy slap kill. I actually got some off of the hitstun from the explosions. Alternatively if I get the chance to set up a super strong minefield, I might detonate the din's to either hit their shield (for tons of shield damage) or send them flying.
-Avoid kill moves. Sheik is heavier (or falls faster, something like that) so she doesn't die as easily with medium/high percent (around 80% is where I would consider it, maybe earlier to like 60% depending on the stage/MU), as well as having a stronger neutral game (if you don't have time to set up din's anyway) to avoid getting hit in the first place.
-Mindgames. Switching back and forth forced my opponents to think about new combos, new neutral options, changed their edgeguard/recovery plans, etc. Not being them, you can never know how well this works.

Other reasons to transform are all matchup or stage dependent.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I'm going to recap a few points here...
there are times when it's opportune to switch to Sheik, because she is faster and has access to some pretty decent moves Zelda doesn't. Also, when in midair and changing to Sheik, you can buffer a move so you instantly use it when done transforming.
Buffering a move out of transform is CRUCIAL to effective transform, since the opponent WILL try to punish you. What Zhime does here, landing a sweetspot kick out of transform is called a JOJO. It's a very useful technique because it will often catch people off guard. Just don't abuse it, or they'll start to catch on.

I just did very well tonight in tournament by using both Zelda and Sheik! Some of the things I transformed to Sheik for (that weren't just "Sheik's matchup is better here"):
YAY!
-Detonate dins.
-Avoid kill moves. Sheik is heavier (or falls faster, something like that)
-Mindgames. Switching back and forth forced my opponents to think about new combos, new neutral options, changed their edgeguard/recovery plans, etc. Not being them, you can never know how well this works.
These are all good points. Also, Sheik is the same weight, but falls faster.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
As many others have said in the chat, she has many many options. I had to pick up melee and play against the melee people to really understand all the follow ups, mindgames, and great stuff she has for edgeguards.
Very basics for those that want to use stuff quick
-Space bair
-jab -> grab or jab -> jab -> other
-dtilt is great for popping up the opponent and then ending with fair
-very important to choose the right options when edgeguarding offstage because if you choose the right moves you can almost always get the kill

Azew

Smash Lord
Well if the situation calls for it you...

Edit: Didn't think I was in the project m section, sorry.

Last edited:

OrbitAnubis

Smash Rookie
I was in a tournament where this dude knew matchups very well. He was an ivy/Spacie(?) main back in 3.0. And me, being a Sheilda main, knew that he would gladly take sheik with Ivy and i would hate to face Falco or Wolf as Zelda. So to start it off, i picked sheik at the Character screen as bait for him to go Ivy, and he took it. and i Down-B'd as soon as the match started and he lost that match. Its a pretty neat first match gimick.

Top Bottom