• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there no solution for NETGEAR routers?!

Gavi

Smash Cadet
I am able to easily play online with other games, just not with brawl. Why is that?! I can't play with 3 of my 6 friends. I can rarely play with anyone. Will I ever be able to play online flawlessly with my Netgear router?

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
I have a Netgear and I have no problems, ever. Perhaps you need to look at your router/Wii network settings more carefully. Try setting a static IP if you have to.

Gavi

Smash Cadet
I have a Netgear and I have no problems, ever. Perhaps you need to look at your router/Wii network settings more carefully. Try setting a static IP if you have to.
I dont know how to set a static IP when my IP itself is 10.0.0.4 there used to be a 2 at the end. Glad to find another Netgear user. I thought I was alone.

My IP address is like that because I have a modem which uses the same address, and Netgear doesnt want to conflict with it. How do I solve this problem?

bennyboytx

Smash Rookie
have u tried...
1. changing the router channel
2. opening the ports to your wii ip
3. DMZing all ports to wii(don't do unless u think will help)
4. setting a static ip address for the wii

that's basicly what people now adays are doing to get the problems gone.

Gavi

Smash Cadet
1. it's on 11
2. How do I do this?
3. Where can I learn this?
4. Will do.

Gavi

Smash Cadet
Ok for Defualt DMZ server I just put in the ip adress of the wii. Will that do anything?

Torchik

Smash Ace
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Gavi. I have a Netgear too, and its acting completely ********. I can only play with people close to me, when my friend can play with people across the country. Is that happening to you too? I really need a solution...I really want to play with my friend who doesn't live near me.

Gavi

Smash Cadet
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Gavi. I have a Netgear too, and its acting completely ********. I can only play with people close to me, when my friend can play with people across the country. Is that happening to you too? I really need a solution...I really want to play with my friend who doesn't live near me.
I cant play with my friend who lives a few blocks away, but I can play against my friend who lives in Iowa. So it's weird for me.

Torchik

Smash Ace
Okay, I just found out that if you have the Netgear WGT624v3 (which is what I have) it is almost impossible to play Brawl. The Spectator Mode and Wiiconnect24 stuff should work, but battles are almost impossible. If you have one, I guess you have to get a new router if you want to play Brawl...which I have to do. So check to make sure you don't have one. (By the way, I've been able to get a few matches, but it doesn't work MOST of the time. So it's not really impossible, but very, very hard.)

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
I use netgear too. I rarely have problems anymore. Just a little delay.

Make sure you aren't interfering with the signal and what not.

I forwarded my ports, it didn't do anything. So don't worry about doing that.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I just found out that if you have the Netgear WGT624v3 (which is what I have) it is almost impossible to play Brawl. The Spectator Mode and Wiiconnect24 stuff should work, but battles are almost impossible. If you have one, I guess you have to get a new router if you want to play Brawl...which I have to do. So check to make sure you don't have one. (By the way, I've been able to get a few matches, but it doesn't work MOST of the time. So it's not really impossible, but very, very hard.)
Thats the kind of router I have. Do you think using the Wii Lan Adapter would solve the problem, instead of having to buy a whole new router?

Gavi

Smash Cadet
Well this is just great.... I actually have the same router. I don't think i'm going to be able to get a new one either.

man this is making me nervous, i hav netgear router, now i dunno if it will work now cause smash hasnt been released in aus yet so i cant check....

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Yeah so I have a netgear as well. What's the verdict on this? Should I purchase a new router or should I purchase the wifi adaptor? We are talking about quite a bit of money here, help me out!

xxjunkyxx

Smash Rookie
i doubt its the netgear, and i also have the wifi usb connector. it really makes no difference... just face it, the online play for brawl is bogus.

DanteSmash7

Smash Apprentice
LMAO, usb connector. 40 bucks small one. For that buy a wireless,wire link router. Same price, model g. Your better off. hAHA

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack
i doubt its the netgear, .
I have heard from several, including my ISP, that NEGEAR routers are not very good for online gaming. I also have a netgear, when I attempt BB's it usually overheats and resets. My ISP is replacing it with a linksys free of charge tomorrow. If this is a option, try using your isp perhaps.

peeup

Smash Lord
I have a Netgear router, and I can't even connect to teh internetz... I really don't want to have to pay for another router or a usb thingy...

katonjutsu

Smash Cadet
I have a NETGEAR CG814WGv2 and it works just fine. I just had to change channels to 1/forward ports for my Wii and now I barely have any trouble.

Rasz

Smash Rookie
Netgear user here as well, and I've mostly had close to zero lag matches after messing around with channels/forwarding/etc. My main problem is Error Code 97003 which happens to me almost like clockwork.

Red_Phoenix

Smash Rookie
Solution

Alright, I have the Netgear WGT624v3 router, and I had difficulty with error 86420 as well. Here is my solution.

1. Update the router firmware to the most recent version. Don't use the autoupdate in the router settings, it won't work. Go to Netgear's website and download it straight from there, then manually apply it.

2. In your router settings, go to WAN setup, and Disable SPI Firewall. This firewall is set up to protect against Denial of Service attacks, but it's method interferes with Nintendo Wi-fi communication.

Hope this solution helps.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Yes, yes there is a solution for NetGear routers, it's called a hammer... and a hard place.

brawler_pit

Smash Apprentice
i have a netgear router and im in the uk m wish it dnt cause probs to me but mines broadband based from Sky not a sperate router which i bought.. it wnt make a difference wil it?

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
I also have a netgear router, the WG614 v6, and it has caused me nothing but trouble when it comes to peer-to-peer online games. Forwarding all ports, turning off SPI, setting DMZ server, nothing seems to get it to work properly. Every application that needs an open or moderate NAT has trouble, since the netgear likes to stay strict, and I've yet to figure out how to fix it.

The latest firmware for my model even tried to address the issue with a NAT selection box that lets you choose "open", but it doesn't seem to work.

Top Bottom