• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is This an Illusion?

Immagraton

Smash Rookie
I effectively dash dance and wavedash all over the place.
That stuff's solid.

My problem is that I don't feel as though I'm moving as quickly as people I see on youtube.
When I watch a professional Marth play, for example, it seems they are all over the place.. but when I compare that to myself, I don't feel as though I'm moving as quickly.
I'm referring to movement on the ground, it looks as if they're sprinting, jumping, attacking faster.
I can assure that I am fast-falling and l-cancelling.. All of that.

TL;DR
My basic tech skill is solid. *Omitting platforms*
Why does my game seem slow in comparison to pros?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
The actual "speed" comes from minimizing the lag between inputs/actions, e.g. instantly dashing after an l-cancel. Proper fastfalling is also part of it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
A lot of the time you're running off muscle memory and are thinking ahead about what inputs are coming up when you're actually playing, so there's much less immediacy to every movement. Meanwhile, as you're watching other players, you are only able to interpret every movement as it happens.

Basically, it's probably more psychology than anything.

Immagraton

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies (even the last one. Appreciate the humour). I speculated that it was mostly the difference between playing and watching. Not saying my tech skill is perfectly on par with theirs.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Yep basically after you learn everything the first time you just have to learn to do it faster. Fastfalling at the height of the jump, letting go of the ledge asap, etc. It's like fine-tuning.

The 2t

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure lowering the framerate of a video doesn't actually speed it up at all, it just means it shows less frames. So the matches will still play at the same speed on youtube as they did at the time they were played, it'll just look a little less fluid.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Seeing as the game looks less smooth on Youtube, YT videos may actually feel slower compared to the actual game. Watching s2j play and then playing him in person were two VERY different things.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Seeing as the game looks less smooth on Youtube, YT videos may actually feel slower compared to the actual game. Watching s2j play and then playing him in person were two VERY different things.
pretty sure that's the "people seem way more difficult when you play them than when you watch videos of them" effect in general, not the framerate

Kully

Smash Cadet
I effectively dash dance and wavedash all over the place.
That stuff's solid.

My problem is that I don't feel as though I'm moving as quickly as people I see on youtube.
When I watch a professional Marth play, for example, it seems they are all over the place.. but when I compare that to myself, I don't feel as though I'm moving as quickly.
I'm referring to movement on the ground, it looks as if they're sprinting, jumping, attacking faster.
I can assure that I am fast-falling and l-cancelling.. All of that.

TL;DR
My basic tech skill is solid. *Omitting platforms*
Why does my game seem slow in comparison to pros?

Another thing to consider is that if you use Game and Watch (which according to your profile I assume is your melee main) then you cannot L-cancel all of his aerials. Check out the wiki on G&W: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Game_&_Watch_(SSBM)

Bones0

Smash Legend
The frame rate is definitely what causes this effect. The video isn't playing any faster, but the transition of a player's character is greater per frame the less frames per second there are. So if you see someone DDing at 60 fps, it looks normal, but then if you change it to 30 fps, suddenly they are traveling a greater difference per frame, and your brain compensates by thinking the player is moving faster as opposed to the game is being displayed at slower intervals. I've watched Melee on projectors that were playing on ~20 fps, and the players look WAY faster because of how immediate some of their movements appear.

Immagraton

Smash Rookie
Another thing to consider is that if you use Game and Watch (which according to your profile I assume is your melee main) then you cannot L-cancel all of his aerials. Check out the wiki on G&W: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Game_&_Watch_(SSBM)
Yes, although I consider G&W to be my main, my most prominent characters are marth and falcon. So it most definitely isn't the lag factor. Thanks for the link, though.

I'm beginning to think my lack of tech skill on platforms (effective wave landing and the like) makes my overall game slow. Speaking on this subject, and seeing as this thread is relatively active, any tips on tech skill on platforms and moving around?

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Practice and be creative. Work on knowing how to move around platforms in and out on every stage you want to practice on. Don't stop moving, there should be no pauses after wavelands or aerials besides compulsory landing animations.

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
Ditto on psychology. I used to think the same thing you do, then a friend and I recorded some videos, and I was like, "Huh, I guess I'm pretty fast." It was a nice moment.

Immagraton

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately I haven't the equipment to record my stuffs. Wish I could...

On creativity and practice: Creativity is what really separates players nowadays due to the extremely evolved metagame. On a more basic level, I often air dodge through platforms.. Too high to waveland?

5pence

Smash Rookie
I think you air dodge through platforms because you are pressing down very slightly before L so you end up falling through and then the air dodge seems to go through it., rather than already being a little through already.

Immagraton

Smash Rookie
What you're saying is I'm pressing l after falling through the platform, correct?
I start my dodge pretty high, because I haven't gotten the feel. Thing is, when I'm supposed to slide, I go right through.
I expect a triangle jump sort of thing. Quite the opposite occurs.

Basically, I'm definitely above when I dodge.

5pence

Smash Rookie
I dunno, fastfalling goes pretty fast, and only the tip of your foot would need to be through for this to happen. If you intentionally try to air dodge through from above, every time you should end up landing on it.

5pence

Smash Rookie
No problem, I've been experimenting on tons of wavelanding stuff the past few days so I felt I could try. Try it with Ganon and just do it for a solid half hour and then you should have down the motions and timings pretty solidly.

Kully

Smash Cadet
Yes, although I consider G&W to be my main, my most prominent characters are marth and falcon. So it most definitely isn't the lag factor. Thanks for the link, though.

I'm beginning to think my lack of tech skill on platforms (effective wave landing and the like) makes my overall game slow. Speaking on this subject, and seeing as this thread is relatively active, any tips on tech skill on platforms and moving around?

Sure. For wavelanding in particular, the way I learned to do it was simply, to do it. What I mean is that one day I said to myself "I will start wavelanding" so I made a conscious effort each game to waveland on to the platforms, even if it did not give me positional advantages or was not particularly useful in the match. I'm no master at wavelanding, but I can do it pretty decently now. It's all about trying different characters and getting used to their fall speeds and floatiness, etc.

Just try to practice it in matches, and for improvement, try in matches or on your own (I prefer the former) to consciously wavedash as you rise above the platform as soon as possible.

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
And when you're always moving, standing still becomes a very powerful tool.

Top Bottom