• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this legit? (new controller)

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
It says in one of the reviews that the controllers are not made by Nintendo. They say the quality is pretty good. I'm not sure what that means though.

phish-it

Smash Champion
In other words, if you are playing Mario Party they will probably be fine. If you are playing Melee.... no.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
DO NOT get 3rd party controllers. Most, if not all are really low quality, break easily, and don't work well in general. The one exception I'd say is the wavebird, but even then I personally prefer the feel of an original.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I have one of these controllers. It's worth getting, see if you like it. After 5 minutes I was able to do all my normal techskill on them. It's not ideal, but it's worth the price. A very usable controller. Joystick is fairly precise, the buttons take a bit to break in, though, and they stick out of the controller a bit farther, making sliding across buttons harder.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
If it doesn't say "Nintendo Gamecube" on the middle it's not legit.

Most 3rd Party GC controllers are of low quality and will break pretty quickly compared to the seemingly indestructible official ones.

Kati

Smash Lord
@op

no no no. I bought one, and simply could not short hop. The controller could only respond to full presses... wait until you can get an official one, and then reevaluate how much pressure you apply to the control/c sticks. Ever since I realized the minimum force needed, my controller has stopped wearing down on me.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I had one and it was terrible. The wire at the top became loose and the buttons were hard to get to respond

JKJ

Smash Ace
The wire at the top does become loose, that's true. But I can get it to short hop fine, even with Fox or Pikachu. It takes getting used to.

Renth

Smash Hero
I cannot express to you enough to how dreadful those controllers are. The texture of them feel strange to begin with, I bought three of them as a deal and each one of them not just one or two. Each one of them broke within a month of melee with my CASUAL friends who don't play competitively at all. Everything from the left stick moving around on its own, buttons sticking all the way to when plugging in didn't work time to time.

If you buy a gamecube controller and in the center above the start button doesn't say "Nintendo Gamecube" It's a piece of junk.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
And even if there is a Nintendo Gamecube logo on it, I suggest you exercise caution. Found one at a used game store that felt like a counterfeit. I can't say it was for sure, but the probability that it was fake was pretty high.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I have one and here are the reasons I do NOT recommend it:

- Joystick is stiff (Good for dash dancing, bad for everything else)
- All buttons are stiff to press and have the cheap "on/off click" feel to them
- R/L-buttons are AWFUL, wavedashing is twice as hard because the buttons are stiff to press
- Z-button feels like clicking on the mouse
- C-stick is stiff and unprecise

Other than that the controller is pretty good, you should buy one and test it for yourself

Grunt

Smash Master
Most 3rd Party GC controllers are of low quality and will break pretty quickly compared to the seemingly indestructible official ones.
Nintendium strong.
I don't know how many cubes and controllers I've dropped or thrown without anything happening.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Cube forever
I had a 26" CRT get pulled off of a desk when my friends and I were playing DDR: Mario Mix (lol) and it fell on top of the cube on the ground.
It BOUNCED OFF THE CUBE and the game didn't even stop playing. It chipped the glass screen; the cube was fine.
Nintendo somehow has discovered Adamantium.

Rainbow Pancake

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1848-1736-8251
Sadly, I had to get a controller from Gamestop.
It's "okay" But I'd rather have an Original controller
I specifically hate that it came with a turbo button because if I accidentally hit it I haft to unplug the controller, and then plug it back in.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I specifically hate that it came with a turbo button because if I accidentally hit it I haft to unplug the controller, and then plug it back in.
Those are absolutely terrible. I have one. I recommend you dish out the money and get a real controller

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
i recently took 1 apart on my stream and compared it to a nintendo brand controller, it was of poor quality and parts were held together with hot glue and tape it. also the cstick plastic cover came off in a day or two of regular use.

S

Somaiah

Please, just spend the extra $10 and buy one in good condition off of Ebay if you really don't want to spend a huge amount on a new one. It's worth it to get a Nintendo licensed product, anyone will say, as is clear from this thread.
Those are absolutely terrible. I have one. I recommend you dish out the money and get a real controller
And to add, that controller is complete and utter garbage, completely unplayable in every way for Smash. I can't even hold that piece of ****, let alone play it lol. Anything is better than that.

JKJ

Smash Ace
The Gamestop controller feels like holding a very awkward brick with buttons. And the triggers...MY GOD THE TRIGGERS

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I like to get my controllers off of this link. Pretty reliable, stick to controllers that say Nintendo Gamecube on them and you should be fine.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Does anyone know good legit ones? I can only find the official white ones on amazon and ebay but their 50 ***** bucks

S

Somaiah

Just go to this link, and bid for controllers that look good. If you're not 100% sure on some, use the "Contact Seller" feature and just ask them outright. It's really easy and costs ~$20 max, shipping included.

Kadano

Magical Express
Buy a used one. Preferably on local listings so you can test it before you buy.
I've bought eight controllers that way. I paid 10€ (about 12$) for each of them and all are in playable condition, although two have slightly loose control sticks.

Top Bottom