• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is This Sakurai's Last Smash Game?

Do you think this is Sakurai's last game?

• Total voters

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
If you are a big fan of the smash bros series, you are probably aware brawl was supposed to be the last game in the series, that makes the possibility of it being the last one even greater. Also, it seems Sakurai is making this game as amazing as possible, could this be the final chapter of the game, or do you think there is more to come?

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Considering how he was forced to direct this one, and how he hates sequels, I would hope so, for his sake.
Although he must be having SOME fun what with all the power he's wielding right now.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Doubtful. In 5+ years, I'm sure he'll be approached again.

Given how many times he's acknowledged his mortality while developing SSB4, I think the guy needs a long vacation! "Stressful to the brink of death," "Yes, I'm still alive," etc.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Given how many times he's acknowledged his mortality while developing SSB4, I think the guy needs a long vacation! "Stressful to the brink of death," "Yes, I'm still alive," etc.
Yes I'm still alive! :] I think he means that by nobody is able to see him because he is always working, but yes, i agree with the vacation part

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Didn't he say Brawl was his last one? I also heard the same thing for Melee. And yet...

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't think it is but who knows. I hope it is his last one it would be great for someone with a differernt prespective that would try to appeal to everyone rather than ca$uals.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Every time he thinks it's his last one but then Nintendo offers him more money and he changes his mind. Considering Nintendo has 10 billion in the bank I don't think Sakurai is done anytime soon.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Smash 64 wasn't even gonna be a smashbros game.

It was gonna be about the FIGHTING POLYGONS I think.

Khao

Smash Lord
If you are a big fan of the smash bros series, you are probably aware brawl was supposed to be the last game in the series.
Not really, all that happened was that he was treating the game as if it was the last.

His last chance to add awesome things.

His last chance to do the best thing he could.

His last chance of doing anything he ever wanted to do.

That was his mentality when developing the game, but it was never meant to be the actual last game he would ever work on, it's just the way he likes working.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said he would make Brawl as if it were the last game. Big difference.

I'm gonna say no to the original question. However it might be even longer for Smash 5 since I think the character barrel is running out of characters and we'll need time for new series to be established.

Xigger

Smash Lord
No, it's not that Sakurai wants each game to be his last. He says that he treats each game as if it were his last. Mentality matters.

Glad to see that I'm not the first one to say so.

Sakurai said he would make Brawl as if it were the last game. Big difference.

I'm gonna say no to the original question. However it might be even longer for Smash 5 since I think the character barrel is running out of characters and we'll need time for new series to be established.
Nah, Sakurai already admitted that from the get-go for Smash 4. Something along the lines of "Can't just add new characters and modes and call it a game". If the 6th game featured only veterans, but was still a new game, I wager Sakurai would make it welcome. Cross-platform Smash, customization, new game modes like Smash Run, and seriously good touch-ups to the changes in gameplay makes it more than welcome for me, even if no more newcomers were announced.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The thing behind Sakurai's philosophy is that he doesn't think ahead to save things for the next game. The thought of a next game at all is out of his mind. He wants the current game to be all it can be.
  • Super Smash Bros. 64 was just meant to be a fun little one-shot budget title that only a few people worked on. He had no idea of the series' eventual scale, so of course he had no plans for future games.
  • Melee was Super Smash Bros., except actually taken seriously. It was a massive production, and the idea was sound - if a tiny little project turned out this great, putting more focus on it will make it perfect. It was meant to be the definitive Smash Bros.
  • Brawl was made to, in Sakurai's mind, perfect the Super Smash Bros. formula after it went horribly wrong in his eyes. In other words, Brawl was what he wanted Melee to be. It was meant to be the definitive Smash Bros.
  • 4 is an attempt at actual perfection on the formula. Sakurai knows he can't please everyone, but he's showing in no uncertain terms that he's definitely trying his absolute hardest this time. It's meant to be - you guessed it - the definitive Smash Bros. Not just for his own personal vision, but for everyone who cares about it.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
The thing behind Sakurai's philosophy is that he doesn't think ahead to save things for the next game. The thought of a next game at all is out of his mind. He wants the current game to be all it can be.
  • Super Smash Bros. 64 was just meant to be a fun little one-shot budget title that only a few people worked on. He had no idea of the series' eventual scale, so of course he had no plans for future games.
  • Melee was Super Smash Bros., except actually taken seriously. It was a massive production, and the idea was sound - if a tiny little project turned out this great, putting more focus on it will make it perfect. It was meant to be the definitive Smash Bros.
  • Brawl was made to, in Sakurai's mind, perfect the Super Smash Bros. formula after it went horribly wrong in his eyes. In other words, Brawl was what he wanted Melee to be. It was meant to be the definitive Smash Bros.
  • 4 is an attempt at actual perfection on the formula. Sakurai knows he can't please everyone, but he's showing in no uncertain terms that he's definitely trying his absolute hardest this time. It's meant to be - you guessed it - the definitive Smash Bros. Not just for his own personal vision, but for everyone who cares about it.
Ah, too much bias... To keep it simple:
  1. Smash 64, small project turned crossover all-stars game.
  2. Melee, a second chance at Smash with proper 3D models, and to make Smash a hardcore fighting game.
  3. Brawl, the chance to complete the adventure mode Sakurai wanted to make, and to fit Smash to the Wii's casual market.
  4. WiiU/3DS, progressing the series forward in a way other than adding characters, game modes, and HD.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think so. But, I also thought that about Smash 4. My thing is, is that I know he wants to do other things, and there is potential positives to have Sakurai either take a back seat, or not be present at all.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I really doubt it

But i would be happy.

Because that would be the whole smash bros series in my hands.

But after he completes both versions i really hope he rest up he deserves it especially because of the whole both arms injured thing.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I hope not, but I am thinking it might be. I'd be more than content with the Wii U one I'm sure, but when a new Nintendo console is announced it will be weird not to have a new Smash along with it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Not really, all that happened was that he was treating the game as if it was the last.

His last chance to add awesome things.

His last chance to do the best thing he could.

His last chance of doing anything he ever wanted to do.

That was his mentality when developing the game, but it was never meant to be the actual last game he would ever work on, it's just the way he likes working.
That, honestly, would've been pretty weird. Because imo, making SSE made repping a little more weak which isn't what he would've intended.

That is, unless he did the SSE ITSELF with this way of thinking which would feel weird because he would still have tried to add stuff outside of it.

That's just imo but did he actually said that? If yes, then I wonder why SSE was made exactly.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Given the amount of teasing and straightup trolling Sakurai has done in the promotion and development of Smash 4, I highly doubt it. He doesn't seem like the kind of man to step down after deliberately leaving people with a bad taste in their mouths.

If Smash 5 doesn't come out for a very long time (if there even is a Smash 5) then, yeah, this very well could be his last and someone will take over the series. But as it as, Smash 4 doesn't seem like it's Sakurai's last hoorah for his role as director of the series.

Last edited:

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Given the amount of teasing and straightup trolling Sakurai has done in the promotion and development of Smash 4, I highly doubt it. He doesn't seem like the kind of man to step down after deliberately leaving people with a bad taste in their mouths.

If Smash 5 doesn't come out for a very long time (if there even is a Smash 5) then, yeah, this very well could be his last and someone will take over the series. But as it as, Smash 4 doesn't seem like it's Sakurai's last hoorah for his role as director of the series.
Why does people say he trolls so much? The only time he actually has is in the reveal of ZSS. That was the ONLY time he obviously and purposly "trolled" us.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Why does people say he trolls so much? The only time he actually has is in the reveal of ZSS. That was the ONLY time he obviously and purposly "trolled" us.
It's mostly to do with requested characters. This entry on TV Tropes sums it up well:

Masahiro Sakurai has frequently been swamped by fans speculating who would be in the next Super Smash Bros. game and begging him to put this or that character in. In a Nintendo Direct video promoting the fourth game, he happily notes that the Wii Fit Trainer is a character that no one had guessed or asked for. (Though he did finally put Mega Man in the game. And he is awesome.)
  • A Nintendo Direct webcast promoting the fourth Smash game involved a lot of trolling:
    • After revealing that Samus' Zero Laser no longer causes her to change form, and in fact no characters would change form in this game, he followed it up by saying that because of this, Zero Suit Samus would no longer be returning... right before showing her updated appearance, saying he was just kidding.
    • The Direct had multiple "What character is this?" trophy segments, where a trophy is briefly displayed before its name and origin are given. One of these segments opens with the camera behind what appears to be a trophy of Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Then it cuts to the trophy's hideous Nightmare Face with a Scare Chord, revealing it as the boss Pseudo-Palutena. To make it extra-trolling, Palutena is a popularly-speculated and -requested character, so until the reveal it seemed like Sakurai was shooting down chances of her being playable. (Palutena would later be confirmed at the next E3.)
  • One of Sakurai's pics of the day revealed Waluigi as an Assist Trophy - with his caption rubbing in the fact that "Assist Trophy" means "not playable". And then the above Direct added insult to injury, as he started its segment on Assist Trophies with a Waluigi plushie in the frame.
"Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! ...Which also means he’s not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."
  • Sakurai has occasionally dropped hints about Ridley, but in a roundabout that neither confirms or denies that he's even going to be in the game at all. His intentional vagueness is incredibly frustrating towards fans who want him playable.
"Out of the blue, here's a new stage — the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second..."
From the Direct (again): "Boss characters may appear in other stages, not just [Wily Castle]." [while showing a very Ridley-like shadow in the Pyrosphere stage]
"Remember, no matter how big you may be, there is always someone bigger." [accompanying a picture that has nothing to do with Ridley, but can be taken as a reference to the "Ridley's too big" meme.]
To add to that, the Miis' reveal trailer appears to be a jab at those with (in his eyes) ridiculous character suggestions. Lincoln, Elijah Wood and Ice-T are apparently real suggestions that he received. One could also interpret the Miis in general as this. You want Goku? Here, make Goku for all I care.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
*cougj cough palutena Ridley Little Mac cough cough*
But if anyone is worried that there won't be a new smash bros after this, the community will take over.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
It's mostly to do with requested characters. This entry on TV Tropes sums it up well:

Masahiro Sakurai has frequently been swamped by fans speculating who would be in the next Super Smash Bros. game and begging him to put this or that character in. In a Nintendo Direct video promoting the fourth game, he happily notes that the Wii Fit Trainer is a character that no one had guessed or asked for. (Though he did finally put Mega Man in the game. And he is awesome.)
  • A Nintendo Direct webcast promoting the fourth Smash game involved a lot of trolling:
    • After revealing that Samus' Zero Laser no longer causes her to change form, and in fact no characters would change form in this game, he followed it up by saying that because of this, Zero Suit Samus would no longer be returning... right before showing her updated appearance, saying he was just kidding.
    • The Direct had multiple "What character is this?" trophy segments, where a trophy is briefly displayed before its name and origin are given. One of these segments opens with the camera behind what appears to be a trophy of Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Then it cuts to the trophy's hideous Nightmare Face with a Scare Chord, revealing it as the boss Pseudo-Palutena. To make it extra-trolling, Palutena is a popularly-speculated and -requested character, so until the reveal it seemed like Sakurai was shooting down chances of her being playable. (Palutena would later be confirmed at the next E3.)
  • One of Sakurai's pics of the day revealed Waluigi as an Assist Trophy - with his caption rubbing in the fact that "Assist Trophy" means "not playable". And then the above Direct added insult to injury, as he started its segment on Assist Trophies with a Waluigi plushie in the frame.
"Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! ...Which also means he’s not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."
  • Sakurai has occasionally dropped hints about Ridley, but in a roundabout that neither confirms or denies that he's even going to be in the game at all. His intentional vagueness is incredibly frustrating towards fans who want him playable.
"Out of the blue, here's a new stage — the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second..."
From the Direct (again): "Boss characters may appear in other stages, not just [Wily Castle]." [while showing a very Ridley-like shadow in the Pyrosphere stage]
"Remember, no matter how big you may be, there is always someone bigger." [accompanying a picture that has nothing to do with Ridley, but can be taken as a reference to the "Ridley's too big" meme.]
To add to that, the Miis' reveal trailer appears to be a jab at those with (in his eyes) ridiculous character suggestions. Lincoln, Elijah Wood and Ice-T are apparently real suggestions that he received. One could also interpret the Miis in general as this. You want Goku? Here, make Goku for all I care.
That reminds me... In the Japanese digital event, Ice-T was replaced my Jackie Chan... LOL

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
There's going to be a Smash 5, unless Smash 4 just bombs completely. And even so, it's already an established franchise, it's not just gonna be cancelled. They're gonna have one Smash game for every new Nintendo system. With or without Sakurai.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
No. I think Nintendo will still contract him from time to time. It'll just be another 6 years before we get the next Smash Bros.

I hope during that time he has a 3 year break and afterwards creates his own new game (or even bring back Ice Climbers in some way). For the sake of his health.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I can't say yes or no for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Sakurai really does deserve a break, but I'm scared about what would happen if the series was directed by someone else.

Top Bottom