• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It ALL Has To Do With Match-Ups

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted on AiB (http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=25256)

Tier list: A tier list is a ranking of each character's metagame, based on tournament settings. It is an indicator of how each character is expected to perform, under tournament settings, in relation to the rest of the cast. Thus, tiers measure the potential of each character based on all currently known techniques and strategies that have been shown to be useful in tournaments. (http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list)
Yes I realize that most people know what I tier list is :p but if you need a reference I feel it could not hurt this argument. Unfortunately, it does not use very decisive language :(

"Broken":A broken gameplay element (whether it be a character, stage, item, situation, etc.) is so overpowering that it ruins gameplay by supplanting other gameplay elements. (http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Broken)
People have been throwing this word out a lot recently. It almost seems to have a watered down meaning. Idk, probly my imagination.

For an example I will be referencing this here match up chart: (http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/9/9a/Allcharactermatchupschart.PNG) Assuming this chart is fairly accurate. Which yes, it does have biases of course, but the biases of many researched experienced tournament players is logically to be assumed to be far more accurate than your brief experience with the game. (Although I had a similar thought during the development of the current Brawl match-up chart)

If you examine the chart you will see that not a single character is "broken". Not a singly character is so "overpowering that it ruins gameplay". BUT importantly, if certain characters were non existent such as Fox, Falco, and The Ice Climbers than Sheik would most assuredly be a broken element of the game. Or simply if Sheik was removed than Marth would more or less be considered a broken overpowering element of the game. Furthermore, if you were to remove all the characters higher in tier above Ganon, than Ganon would be be a broken character in the game. The point I am trying to make is that the broken factor, if you will, in the game does not matter about any singular character attributes, but in fact depends on the dynamics with all the other characters in the game.

But logically, at least to me and where I'm feeling many people are having a gap is, that tiers are based on the entire cast of characters. Let me explain what I mean...

->Fyi, this is not nescecary to read I just thought it was interesting <-
The Melee characters dynamics are in stark contrast to the fighter Street Fighter 3 Third strike. If you examine their match-up chart (http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/dec/18/tiers-character-rankings-street-fighter-3-third-strike/) you can notice that even though the character Chun-Li has greater overall match-ups the character I would like to put attention on is the second called Yun. If you notice he does not have a single bad match-up and only a single even match-up. Making him almost entirely broken. The reason why I brought attention on this is because if you were to enter the tournament scene with this knowledge that with a character like Chun-Li you would have a slight more trouble with a character like Yun and with a character like Ken (3rd down) you would have slight more trouble with characters like Chun-Li while with Yun you would have no slight more trouble with any characters. Especially after considering that they are both most likely highly over played than the optimal choice to win tournaments would be to main Yun. The reason why this can be bad is that if people were smart knowledgeable enough to realize this than the tournament scene would mostly boil down to Yun on Yun action, leaving it more boiled down than it already is.

Oddly enough, a similar occurrence happens in Melee. The character Fox has a slight (and I mean slight) overall advantage over characters than Falco does, but Falco has only one slightly disadvantage against Peach, while Fox has two slight disadvantages against Marth and Falco. Furthermore, if you were to consider the frequency of Marth/Fox tournament goers compared to the Peach tournament goers or even how many many Marth/Fox's played at a high level of the metagame compared to Peach's, well Hell I'm not a tournament goer and I know the Marth/Fox's would grossly out populate the Peach's. And furthermore considering the overall population of low tier tournament goers and even how much having a big advantage to having a bigger advantage would even effect your tournament results,it seems that by a fair margin Falco is the best choice for having tournament success. The reason why I was a bit disappointed at how specific the definition for what a tier list is, is because it does not specify if having a superior chance at a tournament translates into having a higher tier placement. (Personally I think it should.)
->That's the end of that <-

The reason why I felt this was necessary to post is because I felt most people either didn't understand or didn't place enough value on the importance of character dynamics. An example that has particularly been bugging me is the claim that "Snake is broken". If by chance Snake had multiple bad match-ups, I can even name a few possibilities, lets see R.O.B., Falco, Dedede, D.K., Pikachu, Fox, and a few more less likely candidates, then BY NO MEANS would he be broken. So, until more data has been completed, people be needed to shut the **** up about it. Anyway, if your willing to look at it logically (unfortunately it doesn't look like many people are these days :( ) then you'll see that it ALL has to do with match-ups.

-> This is my second post on the forum. I felt that I may have done a good job overall summarizing what I was trying to say and was worth including <-
"You're all making things so fracking complicated. I'm not sure what you want to discuss in this here thread, or why you feel the need to clarify for yourself how competitive sports and games work. It's simple stuff. No essays required."

Except it's not simple stuff (apparently). I agree that I'm making this complicated somewhat, but only in an effort to make myself clear (if that makes sense lol =P.) I've tried explaining this in previous posts to a simpler extent, but very few people seem to be understanding what exactly I'm trying to say. I'm trying to discuss a different way of conceptualizing how fighting games work. You're character is only as good as the other characters in the game to summarize my previous post.

The basic example that inspired this "essay" goes similar to this: "Snake is BROKEN!!1!" Cries the oh to common poster. "How so?" I inquire back. "Well he's got like 20 killing moves and like lives forever and like range and projectiles!!" replies with an ever deflating argument (at least in my eyes), because all you are accomplishing is comparing Snake... to SNAKE!?!

Basically, CHARACTER ATTRIBUTES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHARACTER "BROKENNESS" So stop bringing them up! >_< But, I explained all of this in my previous post. If your willing to argue with the logic behind that premise of the post I would love to hear it. It could possibly help me refine the ideas even further. Otherwise I don't see a real point in posting other than trouble with understanding a point in a specific part of my argument.
-> Ended <-

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
I always love people saying Snake, etc, is broken when my main(ZSZ) has stuff to match what they have nicely. (It use to be Jigglypuff, but then I realized she was way too broken..and that chart's missing the #1 snowball D:)

Lucas was very funny, how much hype he got the first few weeks...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If charecter attributes don't have to do with a characters brokenness, what does? ._.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Possibly the way those attributes can be utilized instead of simply having them? I dunno really

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Yeah, but what bad match ups does Metaknight have?

And since when were characters like D3, fox, and pikachu bad match ups for Snake?

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Well if you determine that Metaknight in fact has no bad match-ups than I would consider him broken. I never said broken can't exist. I'm simply showing how people are being stupid with the word :p

Yeah sorry about that. I underlined the word "POSSIBLE bad match-ups" in the AiB version. I was too lazy to re-underline the words again.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
If MK didn't have any bad match ups, he still wouldn't be broken. If MK had such a large advantage over every other character that at a high level of play only Metaknights could be used to win, then yes, he'd be broken.

He's unbalanced, but not broken.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually MK is more broken than Snake. His #1 spot in the tier list is only prevented by the fact, that his only reasonably bad matchup is Snake himself. Snake has more bad/neutral matchups but in tourneys he beats MK, who defeated everything else before that.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Actually MK is more broken than Snake. His #1 spot in the tier list is only prevented by the fact, that his only reasonably bad matchup is Snake himself. Snake has more bad/neutral matchups but in tourneys he beats MK, who defeated everything else before that.
What "tier list" are you referring to? Ankoku's tourney wins list? The only reason Snake is #1 is because he is a more popular character.

At high levels of play, Metaknight has no bad or even matchups. In fact he solidly counters Snake (easily gimps Snake's up-B, etc). MK will undoubtedly be #1 on any real tier list. He's not unbeatable though. It's just always an uphill battle to beat him, unless you also play MK.

Nestec

Smash Ace
If charecter attributes don't have to do with a characters brokenness, what does? ._.
I would assume it's based on the other characters. A character's "brokenness" has more to do with the other characters than it has to do with itself. If that makes sense. ;P

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Common sense is common sense.

Individual skill -> Individual matchups -> Tier lists

People who aren't idiots or n00bs know this already. People who aren't total idiots (as in, they can still be n00bs) will understand this once it's pointed out to them. Total idiots won't get it no matter how many times its said.

Individual skill -> Individual matchups -> Tier lists

I skimmed the OP but it was all old news to me and pretty logical stuff (and pretty much what I've been telling people for years). It's sad how at least one person has disagreed so far (without providing any arguments whatsoever as to why he disagrees).

It's sad how some people just won't get it no matter how many time it's beaten into their heads.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Tier list are purely match-up based.

Would you believe that there are high level pros and SBRers that disagree?

Madness I say.

Browny

Smash Hater
but who decides the matchups? i honestly doubt people have played the best in the world for each respective character before making thier call.

Browny

Smash Hater
well i dont think any collaboration will occur for years at least... everyone seems to still be in the same mindset of when brawl was released, thinking mario/shiek/fox are really bad, and like 80:20 match-ups in so many character boards

Binx

Smash Master
People are really stupid.

Yes tiers are based on match ups, what the hell else would we base it off, match ups are created by pro play and evolve over time, hence why tiers change, so, if a really good player starts using Falcon and discovers some amazing strategy that helps falcon not to suck then falcon won't be bottom tier! OMG its SCIENCE! ... or something.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Yes, the individual character match-ups are all that really matter when determining how good a character is.

Meta Knight is the only character with zero bad match-ups. He has a couple that are close to even, but none that actually favor his opponents by a noticeable margin. For this reason, he will probably be considered the best in the game by most and possibly in a tier by himself.

Snake and G&W (to a lesser degree I think) have a few match-ups that are even or slightly in the opponent's favor. They are most likely the 2nd and 3rd best characters in the game.

Marth, King Dedede, and Falco have a few more bad match-ups than Snake and G&W, so they will be slightly lower on the tier list (probably 4th, 5th, and 6th).

Of course it's not only the number of bad match-ups that matter, but also the frequency that said match-ups might be encountered as well as the "goodness" of the other character. For instance, Donkey Kong has decent match-ups against Meta Knight (close to even), Snake, and G&W (close to even). However, his match-up against King Dedede is beyond hopeless thanks to the infinite grab. Since King Dedede is a good character, he will be played frequently. This increases the probability that DK will encounter an impossible match-up. I don't really know if DK has a lot of other bad match-ups or not, but this one against King Dedede is enough to push him down in rank to probably the 10th best or something as opposed to 4th or 5th.

To sum up, you're right that it's basically the match-ups that determine how good a character is and not just some character attributes alone. People often talk about how Meta Knight has nearly zero lag on his moves, amazing priority, and an unpunishable recovery (all true), but these facts alone don't make him the best in the game. These character attributes make him the best because of the fact that none of the other characters have comparable attributes or other abilities that counter Meta Knight by any reasonable measure (his attributes compared to those of another character = the match-up).

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Basically, CHARACTER ATTRIBUTES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHARACTER "BROKENNESS" So stop bringing them up! >_<
If said attributes are higher/better by A LOT then they do contribute to a characters 'brokenness'.
A good example is Kengo: Master of bushido. One character is simply way better than all others.
Hes much faster than the second fastest in the game, do more damage than the second most damaging character in the game.

He also has one of the better movesets and the longest sword in the game hence the longest reach.
I do catch your drift about brawl though. There is nothing gamebreaking in brawl, nothing FUBAR, so theres really no need to complain.
People need to suck it up that their favorite character most probably sucks (sonic anyone?) and realise that brawl is just like any other fighting game and that all characters arent suitable to competitive play.

Id say that attributes are seriously contributing to a characters brokenness. Maby im doing it wrong?

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Snake is considered broken becuas eof his ridiculous (especially tilt) range, which shouldnt be since his attacks arent actually touching you, just mass-less momentum.
And 3GOD, t is generally considered that MK only has bad matchups to Snake and DK, which is why Snake is higher(and cuz of tourney listings)

pdk

Smash Lord
why do you guys write so many novels about common sense stuff

and why do you bring in games you don't understand to illustrate your points

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's not common sense for the majority pdk.

Remember this is SWF not SRK. lol.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Snake is considered broken becuas eof his ridiculous (especially tilt) range, which shouldnt be since his attacks arent actually touching you, just mass-less momentum.
And 3GOD, t is generally considered that MK only has bad matchups to Snake and DK, which is why Snake is higher(and cuz of tourney listings)
I agree that his tilts are dumb (no hitbox should be disjointed that much), but if every other character also had tilts like his, then he might have some really tough matchups (obviously this isn't the only factor). If he had more tough matchups, then he wouldn't be considered as one of the best anymore (perhaps). The point is - just looking at the attributes of one character alone is pointless. They always need to be compared to all the other characters in the game, which is exactly what matchups are.

As for the MK matchups, I think Snake and DK are pretty close to even (no more than 55-45 either way right now), but people are so used to MK owning everything in his path that even matchups feel more like MK is at a disadvantage for a change. I think that Meta Knight has no matchups that are noticeably worse than even, but I could be wrong.

Snake is higher where? In the non-existent tier list? I assume you mean the character rankings list (which is a great basis for a tier list). If you notice, Meta Knight actually has more wins, top 2, top 4, and top 8 finishes than Snake. Apparently, the size of the tournaments and money is boosting the Snake placings slightly above the Meta Knight placings on the list (could this be an East Coast/West Coast thing?).

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
The thing is, character attributes DO have a say in "Character brokenness"

While character "Brokenness" ALSO has to do with matchups, what do you think determines the matchups? How cool they look? How many different costumes they have (Wario for God Tier xD ) ? No, character attributes have a lot to do with the matchups.

For example: One reason Snake is so good is because he can soak up damage, he's heavy, he lasts a while, now, imagine if they made him as heavy as Falco (Which is pretty light) . He'd drop in the tournament rankings. Because the MATCHUPS are effected due to the ATTRIBUTE of lightness which allows a lot of characters to kill Snake faster. So Snake wouldn't as good of matchups against the majority of the cast. Do you kinda see what I mean?

I understand where you're coming from, though, "It all has to due with matchups" is a true statement, however, character attributes do have a say in how the matchups go. HOWEVER, they are not the sole determining factor, the next factor is the current state of the metagame. Attribute X may not be used against character Z thus hindering the character with Attribute X's matchup. So to me those are the two determing factors of matchups, Metagame and Character attributes.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
May i add that 'broken' is often interpreted to mean overpowered, but that's not actually what it means (well it does, and it doesn't, i'll explain)

The term broken comes from the R&D of Magic:the gathering, or at least they claim it does, and it's reasonable to believe it's true. they saw cards as a puzzle of some sort, the term was used when a card had it's puzzle solve, code broken, and a use was found for it far beyond the intended.
whether it was was some combo, like goblin welder, or just overpowered and not found before printing, like skullclap.
most broken cards would then have massively overpowered decks made from them, exploiting the card for all it's worth, thus becoming synonymous with overpowered. it then leaked into the MTG player base then the rest of the world (or some of it).

snake's Utilt is broken, it has hit box's where it is clear it should not, if the graphic was different, then it might not be broken, despite having the same effect.
you then have C4 for repeated upB, and snake sliding, all of which are broken in the literal sense (EDIT: a closer fit would be MK's IDC as being broken, since it wasn't broken from the beginning, then when someone spammed upsmash while doing downB, they 'broke' downB).

Yes, i know you meant overpowered, and i agree with you about people that complain about snake being overpowered. But they may mean 'broken' when they say 'broken' depending where they learned the word.

I'm a MTG player, so maybe they were lying, and it came from somewhere else, but that's what i was told, and i see no reason to doubt it.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Whoa, "broken" originating from card game? Lol, sounds like a joke.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It actually sounds logical to me...

And you'd be amazed at where some of English's most common idioms came from >_>

But he has a point, when people say Snake is Broken, they're often meaning "Overpowered" not "Dominating the entire tournament scene (Just a large portion of it)"

D

Deleted member

May i add that 'broken' is often interpreted to mean overpowered, but that's not actually what it means (well it does, and it doesn't, i'll explain)

The term broken comes from the R&D of Magic:the gathering, or at least they claim it does, and it's reasonable to believe it's true. they saw cards as a puzzle of some sort, the term was used when a card had it's puzzle solve, code broken, and a use was found for it far beyond the intended.
whether it was was some combo, like goblin welder, or just overpowered and not found before printing, like skullclap.
most broken cards would then have massively overpowered decks made from them, exploiting the card for all it's worth, thus becoming synonymous with overpowered. it then leaked into the MTG player base then the rest of the world (or some of it).

snake's Utilt is broken, it has hit box's where it is clear it should not, if the graphic was different, then it might not be broken, despite having the same effect.
you then have C4 for repeated upB, and snake sliding, all of which are broken in the literal sense (EDIT: a closer fit would be MK's IDC as being broken, since it wasn't broken from the beginning, then when someone spammed upsmash while doing downB, they 'broke' downB).

Yes, i know you meant overpowered, and i agree with you about people that complain about snake being overpowered. But they may mean 'broken' when they say 'broken' depending where they learned the word.

I'm a MTG player, so maybe they were lying, and it came from somewhere else, but that's what i was told, and i see no reason to doubt it.
I'd just like to clarify that it did indeed come from the MTG Forums. When one card is too powerful, and seems to rule over the entire meta game (which truly does happen at times, see: Disciple of the Vault, Black Lotus, etc.), it is deemed broken and is sometimes banned from competitive play. This is enacted to further the development of the meta game, and, ultimately, to create better overall competitive environment where new strategies and decks are employed. Generally the term is not taken with a light of heart within the Magic community. When someone deems a card broken, it means that they literally want to get it banned from competitive play.

Unfortunately the term broken has also been applied many times in the competitive Smash realm to describe a hitbox of a certain attack. What a person really means to say when they say "Broken Hitbox", is actually "Disjointed Hitbox". That is to say, the hitbox is seperated from the hurtbox of the character. Alternatively, they could actually be describing simply the power of the attack itself, eg. attacks which rule over entire metagames.

Of course the term can also used to describe any aspect of any game, so it can sometimes be overused.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not common sense for the majority pdk.

Remember this is SWF not SRK. lol.
You mean the forum where they're praising the use of items in Competitive Brawl, have a rule where it says "If a TO says you've stalled excessively, you've stalled excessively and lost" (as in, there's no real definition of what excessive stall entails), the same rule saying "too much camping will result in a DQ" and where they have major problems deciding whether or not to ban Spear Pillar?

Nestec

Smash Ace
AAARRGH!! Death to Spear Pillar! Fricking butterfly-like Pokemon with the bright colors! T__T

Top Bottom