• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It seems the Project M team will have a new game to improve!

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
So SSBU trailer is out, and going from how the attacks land and the overall look of how the game plays out, it looks a lot like the Brawl engine. In which case, Project M may have to use their expertise to 'fix' the game, if a method is found that is.
On the up side, MegaMan's in it. Get hype, son.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Did you notice Bowser's Haggar drop kick? That was awesome!

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Well, Capcom is a part of the game now. I don't think we can judge from only the trailer. Sure, the engine will probably be similar to Brawl's, but as long as it's better than vBrawl (which, frankly, won't be that difficult to do considering tripping), I'll be satisfied.

also I'm pretty sure I saw Link moonwalk at one point. How 'bout THAT ****?

Phantasmagorical

Smash Cadet
Look at the final clip where Mega Man fights the Yellow Devil. Look at his fall speed. While this isn't even close to being an indicator of whether Smash 4 will be good or not, it is at least the tiniest sliver of hope that this game will be fast-paced like Melee.

Also, I saw the part where Link moonwalked too! I thought it was just me.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
Look at the final clip where Mega Man fights the Yellow Devil. Look at his fall speed. While this isn't even close to being an indicator of whether Smash 4 will be good or not, it is at least the tiniest sliver of hope that this game will be fast-paced like Melee.
Or maybe Mega Man is heavy.

Xacius

Smash Apprentice
It's evident that the game isn't going to be a representation of melee. In all honesty, I was hoping for a modern/faster version of the characters with some N64 and melee mechanics mixed in. The tripping, slow air speed, slow moves, and terrible balance all contributed to Brawl's failings with the melee community. The air dodge has always been questionable... I prefer the melee version, but not because of wavedashing. No L-cancelling either, from the looks of it :/

With regards to the Airspeed of SSB4, everything does seem a bit faster compared to Brawl! I was also surprised by the speed and chains of the ground moves. Notice, also, how Mario has substantial horizontal velocity in the air in many scenes.

I was disappointed by Link's Up-B. The second I saw it, I instantly a whole sad. :(
Looks slow and reminiscent of his ****ty brawl variant. With that being said, notice how he lands from an Up-B into one of Pikachu's projectiles. He flashed white (invincibility?) and the projectile seemed to pass right through him...
I'll download the video and slow it down to take a closer look.

It's too early to judge, but I'm not getting my hopes up either.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Joy, that hunk of junk. Unfortunately, we couldn't even see if it was functionally different this time around.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
People complaining about balance, it's the FIRST DEMO. Megaman and FitTrainer don't even have multi-frame idle animations yet, and balance is usually the LAST thing done in a fighting game. A lot of moves will look clunky with misplaced animations because the game isn't done. Sure it's a playable "game", but some people really need to learn the development process of most games.

Step 1: Make a barebones environment (physics, playfield, maybe a character or two) where you can move a character around. A "Hello, World!" essentially.
Step 2: Build up the environment to support the addition of more content (another set of barebones characters, graphics production starts)
Step 3: Create the main features of the game (ledge grabbing, blastzones, and items probably started here for smash)
Step 4: Build content based on the main features (characters that can interact with everything made in Step 3), and begin bug testing with such content
Step 5: Polish this content into a playable demo for people outside the development process, a basework for the rest of the game. Considered Beta V.1
<------ THIS IS WHERE SSB4 IS
Step 6: Take playtesting data and observations from step 5 and make changes. Repeat step 5 until satisfied with feedback. This is called "making the game feel good".
Step 7: Polish the game for final release (all animations, physics, characters, and bug fixes finalized).

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
I think the physics look much more improved than Brawl.
Too early to say though.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
MK's tornado did something stupid like 40% damage back in the trailers for Brawl. Obviously, they still didn't tone it down enough in regards to how the move behaves (and other examples like the oversight of entirely forgetting to resize Snake's UTilt), but the game is certainly subject to change when it comes to characters.

As for control, I want a hands-on before giving my full opinion.

Mithost

Smash Ace
MK's tornado did something stupid like 40% damage back in the trailers for Brawl. Obviously, they still didn't tone it down enough in regards to how the move behaves (and other examples like the oversight of entirely forgetting to resize Snake's UTilt), but the game is certainly subject to change when it comes to characters.

As for control, I want a hands-on before giving my full opinion.
The nado did around 40-50 and had a bigger initial hitbox from what I remember from the demo. Snake wasn't much different, which explains the hitboxes.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This. Maybe they also won't try to self-hype the bajeezus out of themselves again with daily updates.

You Must Recover... urgh...
Well now they have the ultimate blunder to recover from, so we'll see how that works out for them.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, we're getting 5-day a week screenshot updates of the game in its development but I don't think it's on the same level of infodumping that the dojo provided. We'll just have to see I suppose.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
i forget, are they posting those pictures only on the smash bros miiverse or are they also posting it on the smashbros website? if they are only posting it on the miiverse, someone plz post them elsewhere

bleyva

Smash Ace
No matter what, for the first 3 months my testicles are going to be locked into SmashU territory

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Bowser's idle animation is really weird and artificial looking. I hope it will be fixed.

The coloring is a ton better in this game than in the previous games. Brawl's Twilight Princess style Zelda elements in particular looked too grey for Smash. Also, it's cool that Bowser actually looks like the Mario series Bowser now.

Kati

Smash Lord
Too bad his hair looks plastic, because his skin looks very realistic now.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Bowser looked super Alpha-build here, I wouldn't use it as a baseline for what the character will actually animate in the final product.

Vague 2014 "release" date awesome. I might have been a little optimistic thinking it would be released in Q3 2015.

210stuna

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ

Floaty as ****

Brawl airdodge

Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion logic is "No one wanted her so I included her"

I want to believe it won't be terrible
This x10

Including FLUDD it makes me wonder if they are going to use the same movepool for this game or not.

Did anybody else notice the same SFXs from Brawl for Mario/Link/Pikachu in one of the other videos?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Improve? How can you improve a perfect game? One that's going to be twice as floaty and random as brawl, thus being twice as fun. I'm also really looking forward to worthless characters from ****ty games *cough* wii fit trainer *cough*. I don't want any horrid hackers ruining an already perfect game.
#Dedication
#BrawlRul3s
#BrawlGangOrDontBang

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This x10

Including FLUDD it makes me wonder if they are going to use the same movepool for this game or not.

Did anybody else notice the same SFXs from Brawl for Mario/Link/Pikachu in one of the other videos?
Only new "feature" I could discern from the short clips thus far is Bowser's F-smash changing to a drop kick.

Oh and "cutting air"

Mithost

Smash Ace
Improve? How can you improve a perfect game? One that's going to be twice as floaty and random as brawl, thus being twice as fun. I'm also really looking forward to worthless characters from ****ty games *cough* wii fit trainer *cough*. I don't want any horrid hackers ruining an already perfect game.
#Dedication
#BrawlRul3s
#BrawlGangOrDontBang
It's the same floatyness for the most part, some characters are actually falling faster than before. On top of that, it's a demo, so it's natural that it's slower.

Top Bottom