• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Item discussion/changes

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I feel like recent version of PM have neglected the item part of the game, and for good reason. It is not part of the project's main objectives. However, it does do one thing that I feel is very important for the project. It helps it reach out to a larger audience. From my experience, one of the major complaints about Brawl from casual players have to do with item mechanics. Project M has fixed some of these problems already, but I think more needs to be done in order to make it so it is easier to advertise the game to players who might not be excited to play a game that is so strict about just fixing the problems with competitive play. Healthy casual interest usually eventually leads to more competitive players though I can think of a couple examples (Power Stone). I am not sure if there has been many changes already since they don't seem to appear in the change list if there has been.

I know the clock has been disabled but the text and image has not been changed in the info/info2.pac files. I have had a few players, some semi-competitive players, complain about the lack of professionalism on this front. They also, in my opinion unreasonably, won't take "it's just a demo" as a reason. It has sadly made it harder for me to find people to play the game with. I know it is not the target audience but it does help get bug finding the more people who are playing it.

I hear there are plans in the future to make some of these changes, is there any ways we can get some teasers?

MaxThunder

PM Support
they haven't really neglected it... they just have enough work with the chars and stages and mechanics... they did at least take enough time to block the broken items... those who cause freezes, anyways... the rest of the items can still be used and stuff...

these people think what font is unprofessional?.. the P:M font or brawl font?..

Team Giza

Smash Lord
The fact that it says that the timer is still in the game but actually isn't there. It is a stupid complaint I know.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's on our list, but there's still quite a bit left for us to do. Some of our codes currently inject into places in memory that items use, and we found it more professional to disable those items than to leave them in a completely jacked up state. Timer was particularly ridiculous. We plan to eventually fix them, but for now this is the best we can do.

To be honest, if your friends find such a subtle detail reason enough to not play, they're likely the kind who are looking for reasons not to play the game and will do so regardless of what we fix. You'd probably be better off reaching out to the SoCal PM community. People play it here and there throughout, including Irvine and the LA area.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I would just keep timer disabled. That item just slowed the game down.

And it was hilarious with the codes on, especially on ledges.

Kati

Smash Lord
Just replace the pocket watch model for the timer with missingo. Done.

MaxThunder

PM Support
it doesn't just slow the game down... sometimes it makes the physics of whoever it's affecting go all nuts and die instantly if grabbed...

also that is blocked?.. then why can i play with it, lol?..

Team Giza

Smash Lord
also that is blocked?.. then why can i play with it, lol?..
It should only load up a sticker on version 2.5. At least that is what it does for me.

it doesn't just slow the game down... sometimes it makes the physics of whoever it's affecting go all nuts and die instantly if grabbed...
Yep, sometimes it speeds things up, makes people teleport or having insane particles too.

Just replace the pocket watch model for the timer with missingo. Done.
... YES!

MaxThunder

PM Support
that's weird...

wait is it possible it only works in single player modes?.. cause i know it does there... and training mode i think...

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I don't really care for items and would gladly accept using their space to include more PM content!
As for your casual friends, play brawl.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I think you would be surprised by how many casual players I know hate brawl. A lot of casual players dislike it just as much as many competitive players do. The game has serious design issues and it is noticeable even to casuals. Even with these slight problems they would still rather play project M than that piece of crap.

I am not suggesting that we should try to preserve items, far from, just that the info files are updated for it. I've done some modding of it myself. I guess I'll just finish it up and post it up at some point and see if it gets some consideration.

I don't really care if the number of items drop in half. I just want the ones that do exist to be functional and have weaknesses and rewards while also being properly represented on the versus options.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's just spiteful and shortsighted. It's like you've forgotten the founding principle of Smash's design. Options are there because the developers recognize that different people enjoy different experiences, and instead of trying to come up with a "right" way to play it they decided to leave it up to each individual player, and it worked out beautifully in SSBM.

The casuals are essential to Project M. They could potentially be the future top level players, your future crew, your future best friends. All you need to do is get them playing, and for them to have fun. Don't forget your beginnings. You were a casual once too, and so was I. I'd rather casuals play Project M than play Brawl. Regardless, removing items wouldn't give us more room to include more content anyway, so it's a moot point.

Rick Rockmann

Smash Cadet
It's probably not a priority, but I think it would be within reason for "Melee 2.0" to revert a lot of the items back to how they were in Melee. i.e. no moving with the Super Scope or Fire Flower, weaker items overall, and all that jazz.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
The pokemon from Melee should be restored... SOO Much better than the ones in brawl!

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah, brawl pokeballs were always such a gamble to go for. I mean, sure, I always got wobeffets in melee, but in brawl, there are so many pokemon that can come out but they have have such distinct situational uses that half the time they wouldn't pose a threat.

Top Bottom