• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items Deserve Consideration for Brawl Tourney Standards

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
First, calm down. This isn't one of -*THOSE*- threads.

Second, let me just get out of the way that I am a major critic of those *ahem* people of lesser intelligence who cry about wanting items in Melee. I would be the first to take up arms in the art of debate against these people. Why do we not play with items? Simple:

- Balance without items is significantly better than balance with items. Items make the good characters better and the bad characters worse, since the same factors that determine that determine how easily they can get items. Falco, Shiek, and Marth become ridiculous and Fox becomes a demi-god, while Bowser is outsped everywhere and Pichu is killed at 20%. We looked at these two balances, and the decision as to which one was better was very obvious.

- Luck added from items is too significant. Some luck is ok, else we would ban G&W and Peach. However, while I would argue that the advantage of many items is not significant enough to skew a match (since the opponent should also be able to gain one later), it's obvious that many items provide a massive enough advantage/disadvantage to effectively decide the match. Heart/Tomato, Star/Cloak, Bom-ombs, certain Pokemon, all of these are very obvious picks in general; then you have character specific pairings to worry about. Finally come the exploding containers, which sealed the deal.

Does anyone see where I'm going with this?

We are not yet for certain that the elements that cause us to not play with items today will be in the game of tomorrow. We know virtually nothing about the balance, and in fact we will know little until months after the game's release. However, it sounds likely that heavy (and slow) characters have a significant shot at being dominant characters. It is entirely possible that the character balance in Brawl is better with items than without, just as the opposite was true in the past games.

Meanwhile, luck can easily be reduced to a level that the community finds acceptable. (Once again, most of us like a small amount of luck that can average out over the course of a game.) Item switch should still be there, and a hypothetical pokemon or AT switch would make those very viable candidates. Explosive containers are apparently marked which is a huge step forward; if they can be disabled entirely, that would demand that items be considered. If we can decide what stages to play on, we are more than capable of deciding upon an item list if need be.

...and same thing for the smash ball. We may prefer the balance with the smash ball, or we may not. My point is that it is very possible that the former could be true.

The underlying idea is, just because Melee was vastly inferior with items does not immediately mean Brawl will be. I am just hoping that instead of being immediately dismissed, items be given the same fair trial they had for the past two games. The verdict is ultimately up to the community.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
Basically, if there aren't exploding containers, and we ban the obvious things (Hearts, Stars, Horseshoes... err, Hammers, etc.), items should be go.

Randomness isn't bad. Brokeness is.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I'm really not much of an item player myself, but all my friends want to play with them (because they could NEVER beat me 1on1), so I guess I'll just learn to destroy them with items, too.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
the only item that should be in are smash balls end of story
But see, how can you possibly know that? How can you know, for certain, that the game's balance will be superior without items than with them? What if Bowser really is top-tier, and weaker but faster characters need items to become viable? No one knows what the balance either way will end up like, and I'm just saying we should keep an open mind until the day comes when we can make a proper decision as a community.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Im against randomness, and i dont want to lose to a less skilled character because they got lucky, (character randomness is very different as its built into the balancing of the character(for example faust in guilty gear has a randomized item toss but its balanced into the game and he would not be good enough without it.) and cannot really be avoided without banning charecters (which is generaly unpopular) I would try items but i seriously doubt the items are going to be significantly less game ruining(with the possible exception of smash balls.)

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
First of all I very much doubt (and hope for the contrary!) that the speedy characters will have to rely on items to stack up to the big guys. I am, however, in favor of giving certain characters a greater advantage with items as part of their identity and what makes them unique, as with DK and his barrels. But I digress.

The game is certainly looking to outdo itself as far as customization goes, so I expect a very extensive item switch this time around that equates to what you said, being able to disable exploding capsules and such. This would eliminate the first of the two fundamental problems with items in competitive play.

But the second problem remains unaddressed, and that is their random spawning behavior. This is where the deciding factor of luck often trumps both skill and character choice. Now, this might change for the better with the fact that Brawl's stages are looking to be on the small side compared to the great size diversity of Melee's selection (I'm not necessarily thrilled to see an absence of large stages but it does have its advantages). But this alone is only reducing the luck factor, not keeping it in check with any significance.

One solution may be to enable only the mediocre items like the parasol and Mr. Saturn and co. But I can't tell you how many times one of those turds spawned at my feet as I go to smack someone, only to instead pick up an item I never wanted and get walloped. Is it rare? Sure, but not nearly rare enough. It's annoying as ****! And if it annoys me, what chance does it have of being acceptable for a tourney player? Competitive players want to eliminate ALL traces of bull****, no ifs ands or buts. They're willing to tolerate the Luigi and Peach nonsense (which personally I love) but believe me, if there was a way to disable it without a straight character ban they would.

And this is just personal opinion, but the purpose of items in the first place is to spice things up. Having only the mediocre stuff is sort of self-defeating I would think.

This is why I don't think items will have a place in the tournament scene.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Items are dumb and random: fact.

Adding balance to an unbalanced game is not achieved by making **** as random and stupid as possible.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
speedy characters are already going to generally end up higher on the tier list, how exactly would adding items help this?

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Of coarse they will be considered. And since I haven't noticed any exploding boxes/capsules in the Brawl demo videos so far I am feeling hopeful.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Items are dumb and random: fact.
Adding balance to an unbalanced game is not achieved by making **** as random and stupid as possible.
Items were dumb and random... in Melee. And obviously, many items will continue to be overly random and undesirable. However, there is a distinct possibility that some items in Brawl will have merit to the balance; just because every item was bad in Melee, not to mention the inability to disable exploding containers, does not mean every item will be bad in Brawl. Maybe, maybe not.

speedy characters are already going to generally end up higher on the tier list, how exactly would adding items help this?
No! Brawl is not Melee! In Melee, faster characters were almost always better. However, Brawl adds VERY significant advantages to heavy, slow characters too. Attacks that grant frames of complete invulnerability?!? The entire theme of this thread is that we don't know for sure, and should keep an open mind ready to evaluate items when the time comes instead of automatically assuming they are as bad as in Melee.

Or coarse they will be considered. And since I haven't noticed any exploding boxes/capsules in the Brawl demo videos so far I am feeling hopeful.
If you can tell by this thread, many people have already made up their minds. They made up their minds in December of 2001, because they are unable to fathom that balance in Brawl could be different from Melee. Just because the best character in Melee benefited the most from items does not mean the same will hold true in Brawl; what if there is a character in Brawl who sucks, except has moves specifically geared towards grabbing, throwing, catching, or reflecting items? That would be an extreme example, but the idea holds true.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Im against randomness, and i dont want to lose to a less skilled character because they got lucky, (character randomness is very different as its built into the balancing of the character(for example faust in guilty gear has a randomized item toss but its balanced into the game and he would not be good enough without it.) and cannot really be avoided without banning charecters (which is generaly unpopular) I would try items but i seriously doubt the items are going to be significantly less game ruining(with the possible exception of smash balls.)
If you lose to a lesser skilled player, it is entirely your fault and your fault alone.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Good food for thought, I enjoy a good what if. I think it depends on an items usefulness, Items like mr saturn for instance, cannot in anyway KO you unless your at an OMGHOWTHELLDIDISURVIVEUNTILLNOW level. You also have to think about another thing, why not split tournaments.

1. With Items

2.Without.

It would have people with different playing styles and we probably would find more pro moves if we went this route.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If you lose to a lesser skilled player, it is entirely your fault and your fault alone.
Well, we all admit that some items can skew the match so much that it can allow a significantly less skilled to win. (Read: Anything that can create a gap of about one stock.) Basically, these items create a big enough impact that the "luck" cannot average out over time. Lesser items don't have this problem: they might get one, or two or even three in a row, but then you might. It is statistically absurd to say that one player will get every item, or even 90% of them.

The underlying idea is that faster characters get a decently bigger advantage from items, and this affects the balance. If the balance with items is considered better, that is what we will use and visa-versa.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Well, we all admit that some items can skew the match so much that it can allow a significantly less skilled to win. (Read: Anything that can create a gap of about one stock.) Basically, these items create a big enough impact that the "luck" cannot average out over time. Lesser items don't have this problem: they might get one, or two or even three in a row, but then you might. It is statistically absurd to say that one player will get every item, or even 90% of them.

The underlying idea is that faster characters get a decently bigger advantage from items, and this affects the balance. If the balance with items is considered better, that is what we will use and visa-versa.
You're missing the point. Calling someone lesser-skilled is exactly like claiming that you are skilled. So, if you lose to a "lesser-skilled" person it is your fault, not the game. If both players were considered even, then that has ground to blame luck factor. However, if you lose to a lesser-skilled player, than your "skills" should have prevented it.

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, exploding boxes are still in the Brawl demo, as I recall from a youtube video during E-For-All.

I merely stated "Exploding capsules/boxes" once more because what are the chances they'd even give us the option to turn off those crates/capsules specifically? I really doubt it, and so does everybody else, thus items will never ever have a place in tournaments and be turned off completely.

The logic makes no sense either. How would items help out those without the advantage? The faster characters just get even more of an advantage with items, it wouldn't help the heavy ones in particular at all. Ridiculous.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You're missing the point. Calling someone lesser-skilled is exactly like claiming that you are skilled. So, if you lose to a "lesser-skilled" person it is your fault, not the game. If both players were considered even, then that has ground to blame luck factor. However, if you lose to a lesser-skilled player, than your "skills" should have prevented it.
Except the point is that the really ridiculous items can cause a big enough delta to decide the match on their own at times, effectively reducing the game to a coin-flip.

Let's say that player A is significantly more skilled than player B, bit it's close enough so that he usually only has one stock left and loses maybe 5% of the time. However, let's turn on hearts all of a sudden. Half the time, maybe even a bit more, the better player A gets the heart and wins anyway, like he typically would. But the other half the time, player B gets it, and sometimes that "free stock" lets him pull out win. He might suddenly win 25% or 30% of the time now, despite still being lesser skilled.

I agree with you COMPLETELY in terms of dismissing scrub talk, but EXTREME items basically take the odds of each player winning and average them towards 50%, which is more fun for no one.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Except the point is that the really ridiculous items can cause a big enough delta to decide the match on their own at times, effectively reducing the game to a coin-flip.

Let's say that player A is significantly more skilled than player B, bit it's close enough so that he usually only has one stock left and loses maybe 5% of the time. However, let's turn on hearts all of a sudden. Half the time, maybe even a bit more, the better player A gets the heart and wins anyway, like he typically would. But the other half the time, player B gets it, and sometimes that "free stock" lets him pull out win. He might suddenly win 25% or 30% of the time now, despite still being lesser skilled.

I agree with you COMPLETELY in terms of dismissing scrub talk, but EXTREME items basically take the odds of each player winning and average them towards 50%, which is more fun for no one.
Like the smart bomb or spicy curry

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Although that is a big help, the main problem is them appearing in front of an attack, randomly killing the unlucky chap. Total elimination is far better, though I personally could live with like 2 seconds of "invincibility" for the container...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If it happens once, that is one time too many. And hitting an exploding item does a lot of damage, easily killing at moderate percentages.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
No! Brawl is not Melee! In Melee, faster characters were almost always better. However, Brawl adds VERY significant advantages to heavy, slow characters too. Attacks that grant frames of complete invulnerability?!? The entire theme of this thread is that we don't know for sure, and should keep an open mind ready to evaluate items when the time comes instead of automatically assuming they are as bad as in Melee.
Actually, that does not only apply to Melee. In any fighting game, speed and combos will make any character "top tier" or at least high tier. It's like a given of any fighting game. Now, I agree, and that is why I bolded it, that Brawl is NOT Melee. There is the question of slower fighters getting advantages but that is not necessarily the question that determines whether item should or should not be used.

I have my doubts that a character will be broken with items and suck without them. Sakurai is smarter than that. He knows that the competitive scene is huge, and although they do not make up anywhere near the majority of the Smash community, they are important. It wouldn't make sense for a character to have to rely on items being turned on just to give them a chance at winning, be it that the character is slow or fast.

I don't forsee items in tourny's at all, not even Smash balls. Not because it will be the same as Melee, but because people will not be open to it. Honestly, it relies on three things:

1. The strength of the item switch. How precise is it?
2. How many items are worthy of tourny use. As in, useful, but not broken. They will help, but the item alone will not turn the match around. This will drastically lower the number of items that would be considered, possibly eliminating nearly all of them.
3. Whether people are willing to learn items. Doubtful.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully tourneys will follow the same procedure as melee and will use items in tourney for a little while until we can come to a conclusion on items and luck. But the truth is if we can't turn off exploding crates and barrels then chances are items won't be tourney viable.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Uhh, exploding boxes are still in the Brawl demo, as I recall from a youtube video during E-For-All.
Not only are they labeled now but they are items now too... the flame boxes actually can come out of capsules. So they can be should be able to be turned off with the rest of the random explosion objects. This would make it so many other items could still be used in tournament play.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
There is way more to it than that. Items bring an imbalanced variable into competative play. Items were not made for the sake of balance, and they never will be balanced.
No....there is not more to it than that....

Listen...

If you make the statement that someone is lesser-skilled, they are lesser, but to whom? Obviously the person they face, making the opposing person "skilled."

If you lose to a lesser-skilled player, it is not because of any items, or flukes, or anything. It has nothing to do with "luck." You lose because you were not skilled enough to stop it from happening. If you were truly SKILLED, you could have prevented it from happening, because after all, people with skills can **** with both items and not correct?

That's my point. My beef is not with the items, but the fact that people are trying to make excuses for their lack of not being able to beat someone who, to them, is "lesser-skilled."

No johns, I believe is the phrase.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
No....there is not more to it than that....

Listen...

If you make the statement that someone is lesser-skilled, they are lesser, but to whom? Obviously the person they face, making the opposing person "skilled."

If you lose to a lesser-skilled player, it is not because of any items, or flukes, or anything. It has nothing to do with "luck." You lose because you were not skilled enough to stop it from happening. If you were truly SKILLED, you could have prevented it from happening, because after all, people with skills can **** with both items and not correct?

That's my point. My beef is not with the items, but the fact that people are trying to make excuses for their lack of not being able to beat someone who, to them, is "lesser-skilled."

No johns, I believe is the phrase.
Lesser-skilled to an extent, like just a small gap between you and him. Items can change the fate of the battle. That's what I think.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Actually, I do have reasons to believe there WILL be considerations for items in this installment in the tournament scene. There are a lot of items now that don't significantly help the player, but do help a bit. Take food items for example.

If thinks are going right this time, we don't have to worry about exploding containers. I believe that exploding containers are switchable, although this is still to be seen.

Smash Balls are a special type of items which should really be put into consideration, since that item also brings up a lot of strategic elements. Like I once saw in another thread, Smash Balls bring strategy in that it doesn't immediately give people the Smash Ball when picking up. Rather, you must break it before being able to use the item. So, this doesn't fully avoid item hogging, but it can add to the strategy since you do have to take into account that your opponent can also take your Smash Ball, even when you were the one who got there first. So this item should really be considered.

But, like some other people said, this is a completely new Smash game, there are new chances for everything. Well, except for characters, since it will probably be established every character is allowed.

But for all other factors, they WILL be considered.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
First, calm down. This isn't one of -*THOSE*- threads.

Second, let me just get out of the way that I am a major critic of those *ahem* people of lesser intelligence who cry about wanting items in Melee.
Not really posting on the thread, just making a comment on the condescending nature of this highly annoying statement.

Judging by the content of this thread (I did read it all the way through), it would seem that you guys are far to wrapped up in yourselves to make a plausible educated generalization about the level of intelligence of those who disagree with you.

Percon

Smash Lord
Basically, if there aren't exploding containers, and we ban the obvious things (Hearts, Stars, Horseshoes... err, Hammers, etc.), items should be go.
You just made my morning.

Anyway, I think that items deserve consideration, for the reasons that TC has stated.

I also think that items in tournies will be more common because many tournies will be more unique because of custom stages and whatnot. Every tourney will be SUPER different, I think.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
When it comes to the Smash Ball, the biggest problem I see is Samus. Someone could main Samus, but not want to play as Zero Suit, so they wouldn't want the Smash Ball. Though I guess this could be balanced by asking before a match if the Samus player wants the ball on or off.

Top Bottom