• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items for SUPER COMPETITIVE Play Discussion

cman

Smash Ace
It decides who gets to camp... bad idea... FB needs to go.
Noo.... FB is fine. It can be knocked off with a decently strong hit if you really want to continue projectile camping.

Also, you shouldn't be able to throw battering items. It's like a 1HKO.
Some throwing items are fine. Iirc, the beam sword, fireflower, lip's stick, and a couple others don't have much knockback when thrown. A blanket nerf is unnecessary. Only the bad offenders, like the home run bat, which have rediculous kb on throw should be nerfed.

Here's a thought. How about, rather than nerfing or removing the timer, we remove the time-slow effect and replace it with massive input lag?
So people would move at the same speed, but activate moves a lot slower? Fast fallers would like never be able to recover lol

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
here's A Thought. How About, Rather Than Nerfing Or Removing The Timer, We Remove The Time-slow Effect And Replace It With Massive Input Lag?

Omfg Yes!!!!!

Brilliant I tell you Brilliant!

Noo.... FB is fine. It can be knocked off with a decently strong hit if you really want to continue projectile camping.

That means that you will be FORCED to approach...just by having the badge...

oh nevermind! >(

its not like its game breaking or anything...

Also, what do you mean that items aren't "random" anymore?

They won't spawn in 100% random places and they may be announced before they appear by the announcer sound files.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Better than watching as you get killed in super slo-mo. Besides, I'm not talking absurd second-long lag times, I'm talking 15-20 frames.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* Everytime I see these threads its always full of scrubs who think every item under the sun will be turned on and item play forced into normal tournament play. This however would not be the case and instead is simply an alternative much like B+ is to VB.

Tc: Jack (creator of the item standard) already requested some of the things you suggested a long time ago to go with the item standard play developed for VB. Although the coders can do a lot more since than I still think it'd be good to keep things simple first and simply mod things like item spawn time and a consistent location. Then combine these two codes with the ISP (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675).

For those too lazy to copy pasta here is what is allowed for VB play.

NEUTRAL ITEMS:

(Sandbag) (Food) (Warp Star) (Bunny Hood) (Beam Sword) (Lip’s Stick) (Star Rod) (Super Scope) (Fire Flower) (Motion Sensor Bomb) (Freezie) (Smoke Ball) (Pitfall) (Mr. Saturn) (Green Shell) (Banana Peel) (Franklin Badge) (Screw Attack)

COUNTERPICK ITEMS:

(Assist Trophy) (Dragoon) (Metal Box) (Home-Run Bat) (Hammer) (Ray Gun) (Cracker Launcher) (Gooey Bomb) (Hothead) (Spring) (Unira)

BANNED ITEMS:

(Smash Ball) (Pokeball) (Containers) (Blast Box) (Maxim Tomato) (Heart Container) (Super Mushroom) (Poison Mushroom) (Starman) (Superspicy Curry) (Lightning) (Fan) (Golden Hammer) (Bob-Omb) (Smart Bomb) (Deku Nut) (Bumper) (Soccer Ball)

When coders get more time and B+ gets more or less stable than work on making banned items feasible.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
*sigh* Everytime I see these threads its always full of scrubs who think every item under the sun will be turned on and item play forced into normal tournament play. This however would not be the case and instead is simply an alternative much like B+ is to VB.
\
I don't think anyone in this topic believes any of that.

Anyways, the way I suggested items should be incorporated makes them more or less an expansion of the stage they are on, somewhat like the apples on Green Greens.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone in this topic believes any of that.

Anyways, the way I suggested items should be incorporated makes them more or less an expansion of the stage they are on, somewhat like the apples on Green Greens.

That could work, but again going back to my point it would be easier at this time to simply aim for it to make items predictable. As from my understanding of the current status quo, most of the hackers are either burnt out and taking a well deserved break or have some real life problem putting them out of action at the moment. The others left are putting all of their effort behind B+ which means anything too complicated not directly related to B+ is going to be ignored.

Otherwise I'd love to see these ideas get some action.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
That could work, but again going back to my point it would be easier at this time to simply aim for it to make items predictable. As from my understanding of the current status quo, most of the hackers are either burnt out and taking a well deserved break or have some real life problem putting them out of action at the moment. The others left are putting all of their effort behind B+ which means anything too complicated not directly related to B+ is going to be ignored.

Otherwise I'd love to see these ideas get some action.
Yeah, predictability is crucial for items. I think the code for determining which items fall and how frequently the drop exists, but the location of where they spawn isn't. There also isn't a code for a countdown timer.

cman

Smash Ace
Yeah, predictability is crucial for items. I think the code for determining which items fall and how frequently the drop exists, but the location of where they spawn isn't. There also isn't a code for a countdown timer.
You don't need a countdown timer. Just make them appear every certain number of seconds, like 30, on the dot. If the players don't keep track or watch the clock, then its their fault. It would probably also be a lot easier to program.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
I wonder if you could hack the WiFi Waiting Room on the top of all the stages to determine when the next item spawns. It's definitely possible, but with a great hacker like PW gone, we're not gonna see much.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I wonder if you could hack the WiFi Waiting Room on the top of all the stages to determine when the next item spawns. It's definitely possible, but with a great hacker like PW gone, we're not gonna see much.
I don't know what you mean. Can you clarify?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I think he's talking about how the sandbag spawns in the middle of the waiting room (well, its a dollar now, but it was a sandbag).
That, or we could put sandbag on high and document the spawn points on each stage.

Top Bottom