• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items- Suddenly showing up

Steck

Smash Journeyman
So I'm playing with friends. I have all items turned off and set to none. Its like this for a while but then suddenly items start appearing. I have no idea why. But to stop it you have to turn items on and then off and then set them to something other than none and then to none again for them to go away. Why is this happening?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Your friends probably have items on.

I'm not sure how it's determined, but sometimes the settings from one player are taken (EG, if your settings are taken, all items are off)

Sometimes, other peoples' settings are mixed together- You may have item frequency on none but lightning and smash balls on, and your friend has item frequency on medium with pokeballs on, and all three items will show up on medium.

The 'best' solution would be to have everyone turn them all off individually.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
That's odd since I was hosting

That could really mess up an online tourney though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It shouldn't. I don't think the item choice follows any pattern, imo.

A while ago, I had a pretty good (it was actually an even match) Sonic vs Snake fight, and I forgot that I had come out of a Cracker Launcher turn-based Stamina fun-game that I had with my brother (aka... Brawl Gunbound).

We were running at each other when a Cracker Launcher dropped in front of us. We both stopped at the same time, and, without communicating, we both started suiciding the match.

lol that match wasn't a 'tourney' match, but I'm sure the match would just restart if something like that happened.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
The computer picks randomly who's settings/ stage are going to be used. The only choices a host has are what type of match (stock, time, coin, etc.) and additional rules can be used. ex. timed stock matches.

joenm8r

Smash Cadet
The computer picks randomly who's settings/ stage are going to be used. The only choices a host has are what type of match (stock, time, coin, etc.) and additional rules can be used. ex. timed stock matches.
I've been wondering about that stuff for a while now. Someone should make a guide to all of the little intricacies of Brawl's menus and settings. Maybe that someone should be me.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I have had the same many times, it's really annoying when you're hosting and you have to quit the match and check the settings (items ARE OFF)and the start another match and then the stupid items start appearing again.Then you quit the match again, check the settings (items are still OFF) and by this point your opponent is gone because it is YOUR fault that the stupid ****ing appear and you have to keep quitting matches!!!...it just goes on and on..
Phew..

gantrain05

Smash Master
well i've never had that happen, BUT i've had items off before, it was a time match, and one of my opponents just spawn with a final smash, can anyone explain that one to me?

JSTN!

Smash Rookie
I've had that happen before. althouh items were on and the stage filled up with golden and regular hammers.

FredTHAreD

Smash Cadet
well i've never had that happen, BUT i've had items off before, it was a time match, and one of my opponents just spawn with a final smash, can anyone explain that one to me?
Its called a pity smash. A player doing horribly will sometimes get a Final Smash from the game to try and put him back into the game. Its kinda rare, as I've only seen it once.

NinjaDog251

Smash Rookie
Its called a pity smash. A player doing horribly will sometimes get a Final Smash from the game to try and put him back into the game. Its kinda rare, as I've only seen it once.
if ur playing a (Long) timed match with many people, u'll see it more frequently, (at least i did when i had a 20 min match between 4 computers go on. hehehe)

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
It's not that uncommon. You won't have the chance to see it much in a standard two-minute brawl, though.

xX'Mitsurugi'Xx

Smash Ace
I know what you mean about the items, I was playin a friend match and midway thru smash orbs start to appear, the person I was fightin blamed me for this and wont play with me now.

Top Bottom