• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items vs. No Items: A rambling essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Dictionary Brothers

Hey! guys! where'd you go? I'm aware the argument is getting old, and maybe you are sick of it, but hey if you're going to stop arguing you could at least give some final thoughts a la Jerry Springer. (Or is Jerry Springer too lowbrow to refer to?)

*bumpity bump*

-B

m1nds

Smash Rookie
Re: There now, snap pop, don't be upset

Originally posted by Bumble Bee Tuna
Aww, poor snap pop. You're STILL upset? Give it a rest. We know you're still bitter about choking harder than Mama Cass at TG3. It must hurt a lot to claim to be better than everyone at a tournament only to be knocked out in two matches. You don't have to be bitter for the rest of your life, though. Get over it. Seeing as I haven't seen you make a single post on these boards except bragging about skills that you do not possess, I don't think you should be talking about useless posts. Maybe if you have a problem with my posts you should respond to them? I guess that would be a lot harder than just whining, but there's that slight off-chance that you would finally make a post where you don't look like an absolute moron.

BTW, your post was hilarious. Both the joke itself and the irony of you posting it.

-B
Wow, if i'm not mistaken this looks like a flame? yup, I think it sure is. But can this be? from bumble **** tuna? but he's the wisest one on the boards after all telling people how to post and how not to post.

Your so bullsht man you can't even contain yourself; in anycase what makes you think she's bitter. I'm no expert here, but I'm sensing that maybe she just doesn't like you (and that you might be a ***, but thats another thread). She made the effort to come to tg3 and she showed that she can hang, just cuz she lost two rounds sure as **** doesn't mean that she can't play. Unless you mean that good players never lose, because if you are then your just being stupid.

"Maybe if you have a problem with my posts you should respond to them?" heres where my problem lies, because it sure looks like you have a problem with my post but you can't help but respond to it. Now once again I'm no expert or anything but it looks like your the moron and maybe even something of an a$$.

In anycase just let this whack a$$ thread die, it was so worthless anyways, 1pissmet already proved that he just did it for attention so that maybe someone whould notice him and then he can come and play in the backroom with all the grown ups. But everyone already knows that he's a hack and he can't handle items, he can't even handle many of the stages as well. But if you wanna stick behind him (cuz your into that kinda sodomy sht) then go ahead. But this thread is already more than dead.

Botsu

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm.... Agreed snap pop DID have the skills to hang. from what i hear her marth was amazing. She also got stuck in a hella hard bracket. It was Matt d. then scamp... so thats also hard. Bumble bee... unless you can beat her you can't talk. Prove it at TG 4.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
what does "getting a hard bracket" have to do with anything when you consider yourself better than anyone at the tournament? I don't care if she's better than me (she is), it's the fact that while she's certainly skilled, she's not as good as the other people there. And since she claimed quite emphatically that she was...well, I just think it's foolish. And there was quite a spat over it back after TG3. And yeah, she's still bitter about it. That's why she tells me to 'can it' when everyone else thinks I make good posts...she doesn't like me. Which is funny, because I'm altogether indifferent towards her...I guess some people just like to hold grudges. Of course, this argument has been run into the ground in another thread so I'll just let it go.

Well, I never got around to recommending getting you banned, m1nds. Luckily, I can do it myself now.

-B

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Snap "Legend in her own mind" Pop

Personally I've found the latest flames MUCH more entertaining than the wordy drivel the "Dictionary Brothers" have posted.

At any rate Snap "Legend in her own mind" Pop may have had a difficult bracket, but she lost to Scamp and MattDeezie. Good players mind you, but their admission not up to the same level as Reciph or Vien.

I just find it endlessly amusing that MattDeezie and Scamp both placed 5th and 7th respectively and felt those above them had a noticeable skill edge. They are both confident in their skills and generous in their defeat (if placing in the top 10 can be considered a defeat).

The you have Snap “Legend in her own mind” Pop who placed last, but based on her testimony alone you would have thought she was a shinning Goddess on the battlefield and only by the combined might of poor luck, Satan, Bill Gates, and the Missouri 5th Reserve was she narrowly screwed out of her destiny and birthright that was winning TG3.

Personally I love reading Snap "Legend in her own mind" Pop's posts and wouldn't change a single one of her self idolizing words

Eoraptor

Smash Apprentice
Bumble Bee Tuna- Sorry I've been to busy to reply. College starts next week, and the week after that is the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology meeting in Oklahoma. Preparing for both (and writing posts on the Dinosaur Mailing List about some interesting new species) has been using up my time. This is mostly 1psemet's thread anyway. Don't know why he hasn't replied, though maybe opinions like SmashBroPro's are causing him to see that long intelligent posts aren't appreciated by the majority. I know that's the reason I stopped posting at IGN.

Anyway, I don't have time for such a long reply as is deserved now, so I'll be brief-

Scamp- You shouldn't go calling Din's fire a "really really crappy move" until you see it used by a good Zelda player. It can't be used like fireballs or thunderjolts, or even like missiles, but it's great at stopping campers.
Your example illustrates that the stage can have a big effect on the outcome of matches. The chance of getting a "ground stage" where Donkey Kong's throw is effective like that is 24%. So it's not likely to occur in the first randomly chosen stage, and if OE loses, he can just choose a stage where that's not a problem. Also, it's not like that means automatic death for a Ganondorf player, as they would simply have to utilize their "throw avoidance" skill. And if Donkey Kong's near the edge, certainly many of Ganondorf's strong moves have a good chance of KOing DK, especially considering OE is the superior player. ****, if OE can get E to 50%, Ganondorf's throw is as good as Donkey Kong's is. Finally, you could blame the loss on OE for choosing Ganondorf to fight Donkey Kong in Onett, instead of using Pikachu for example. There are so many reasons for fight outcomes, and variables that affect them.

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
too many assumptions

Originally posted by Eoraptor
are causing him to see that long un-intelligent posts that use big words to hide the fact that they only made one point throughout the entire thread aren't appreciated by the majority.
You left something out of the quote buddy...

But all isnt lost, you guys have your own section in Vien's (senpyou) generalization thread.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
LOL

That's a pretty good assessment of snap pop, SBP. LOL!

Eo-

Din's Fire is bad. There is no salvation to this move. It is perhaps the most easily dodged/countered projectile in the whole game. For the argument at hand, it does not outrange Link's projectiles andcould never hit Link in a projectile war. Possibly it's only use would be against projectileless campers on narrow platforms. That's it. I don't understand the thinking behind saying it's a useful move. It doesn't do jack.

And while your reasoning for OE vs. E sound peachy, realize DK can kill in a single move, whereas Gdorf will take multiple moves. Doesn't mean DK will definitely win...but it's a pretty big advantage.

is 24% of the stages a negligible statistic??? It might not be likely but it's far more likely than items influencing the match...And your logic that Gdogg can just pick a better stage for the second match is also silly...then for the third match, DK goes back to Onett.

On another note...College starts next week? ****, I just had my first exams and you haven't even started yet?

-B

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think items should be in the game at most at a normal ratio of appearance. I think the fact that certain characters do better with certain items make them a part of strategy. There's Falco + Hammer, Samus + Homerun Bat, Bowser + Metal Box, for a few examples. There's also the fact that Pichu seems to be built towards getting items more quickly than the average character, due to his quick foot speed, good dodging, quick jumping, and what-not. Sure, there's luck involved with items, but the "true fight" is not a luck-less fight.

Eoraptor

Smash Apprentice
Mattdeezie- You could have at least replied to my reasoning as to why I write threads the way I do- http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22078&perpage=15&pagenumber=2
Instead you continue being disrespectful.

Bumble Bee Tuna- You think Din's fire is bad, but it stops me (as Pikachu) from camping on narrow platforms against Zelda, just as Sheik's knives do. Suppose there's not much I can do to prove the quality of a particular move in this format. You believe what you want, and vice versa.
Perhaps Donkey Kong was meant to have a camping advantage, we all know he needs more good points anyway. Many characters will have large advantages in certain stages. Pikachu has a huge advantage in Brinstar Depths vs. non-reflecting characters for instance. By degrading the camping part of strategies, perhaps you're unbalancing the characters in ways HAL didn't intend.
I agree the potential of being screwed by a random stage selection is greater than the potential of being screwed by item randomness. When 1psemet (as Samus) and I were facing one another at the mini-tournament we had at BalefireBoy's place, what stage came up? Final Destination- Samus' best, which 1psemet's also practiced most at. I'm not saying I would have won (it was pretty close), but had Venom or Brinstar Depths come up instead, my chances would have been greatly improved.
And yes, the University of Washington's fall quarter starts on the 30th, but also ends later than most others (I think).

CORY

wut
BRoomer
rice fairy

alright, you say that you only have a 24% chance of getting a grounded stage like onnet where dk can play a little camping ***** to throw, right? you don't seem too affected by the fact that that's a totally random chance. a dk on such a level is too good, even at near even skill levels. all he needs is to shield grab a move then either forward throw, turn around and throw off the stage or just right off throw backwards. after a few times around this the dorf might find a way to get around shield blocking but then there's the dodge into a grab to deal with. eventually the dorf will figure out that there's little he can do to make a determined dk move from such a good location. so, that's basically a win, right? even when you throw in skill and adaptation the chance of the dk winning is probably about the same as the chance of you hitting a spawning bobomb and losing due to that.

god that rambled horribly. let's see if i can condense it.
24% chance of grounded stage.

no items + said grounded stage = dk throw *****

even when skills and adaptation are introduced, the chances of a dk victory are still a bit higher

therefore, with all those factors, the chance of having that outcome is about equal to the chance of you hitting a spawning explosive item (capsule, crate, bobomb, etc...) and losing, correct?

i'm pretty sure there're some flaws in this argument but it seemed to me that you went against your low randomness argument.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Nah, don't see it

Pikachu merely has to double jump. Din's fire will not hit him. It simply does not have enough vertical mobility. and of course, Pika can shoot his own projectile form the top of that jump, thus making your din's fire a hassle...Yeah, Din's Fire is about only useful against a camping...Bowser. He might not have the mobility to avoid it. Everyone else either has a far better projectile or mobility or both.

-B

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Are you kidding?

Seriously, there's more here than people are saying...

The 24 percent figure is one thing, but talking about a "throw avoidance" strategy is another. DK has a fat advantage, a move that will kill Ganon in one hit and is really hard to avoid. Now, you guys (or maybe just 1psemet, I'm not sure, and I'm not going all the way back to check) talked a lot about items giving the user a fat advantage, so how come there was never any acceptance of an "item avoidance" strategy? No item in the game gives as fat as an advantage as DK's throw-kill.

Pika can not only double-jump, Pika can also air dodge. It's seriously easy to avoid, and Zelda cannot follow it up. Even Bowser can air dodge the Din's fire, it's extremely easy. The only redeeming value of that move in my opinion is to annoy people in FFA matches as they aren't going to pay attention to you all the time. I'm sorry, but nothing you have said has convinced me that Din's fire isn't a really, really crappy move.

By the way, how was the mini-tournament at BalefireBoy's place? How did you guys do against him and his friends?

Eoraptor

Smash Apprentice
CORY- I agree Donkey Kong would have an advantage if he stayed near the edge of ground stages. It's one of the many and varied character-stage mixes that are advantageous to one player. And I agree the match results are probably more affected by this than item-induced randomness. It's another problem with tournaments, but is unfeasible to solve without playing more stages, which would take too much time.

Bumble Bee Tuna- I was thinking of camping on the rock in Kongo Jungle 2 in particular, where Zelda can stay out of Pikachu's range from the rock. And Zelda can still hit Pikachu from there. Sure, Pikachu CAN dodge it, but he's the one who has to work at dodging, not Zelda. Thus it gives Pikachu a disadvantage to stay on the rock, so I never do. It also works in Jungle Japes, though it's barely possible to thunderjolt someone on the top platform from a side platform. Of course it's hard to agressively camp against Zelda as Pikachu anyway, due to her reflecting abilities.

Scamp- I believe the difference between "throw avoidance" and "item avoidance" comes down to the fact that the first is part of of a defense against something you chose not to have (if you aren't also DK), or that you also have (if you are also DK). You have only yourself to blame if you didn't choose to have Donkey Kong's throwing skill. You chose someone else, presumedly with other advantages you'd rather have. But if someone gets a beam sword, they have an advantage (because they have better moves to use temporarily if they want) that you didn't have a chance to get. There are other character-specific moves that are extremely advantageous, and unrelated to camping. Like Pikachu's semispike (aerial A^ done so that the opponent flies diagonally down), which can kill many characters at 0%. If I ever got good at that, it would be devastating. It's more advantageous than pretty much any item, but because the opponent chose not to have the possibility of using it, it's their fault if they lose the match due to it.
Regarding 1psemet, his brother and myself, we did very well in my opinion. I can say that I was undefeated except for 2 of the three games where my Pikachu fought BalefireBoy's Yoshi. I blame that on various factors. He's the first Yoshi player I've met, and Pikachu has to change his game when facing Yoshi (one of his better friends plays Pikachu though). Pikachu's best when underneath opponents, but Yoshi has the butt-stomp to look out for. Also, Yoshi has a couple moves with priority over Pikachu's down smash, which I'm not used to. Finally, one of our matches was in Icicle Mountain, my most hated stage, which I've played less than ten times. So I believe we are very close in skill with those characters.
Ironically, he and his friends believe Peach to be his best character, but I beat her twice pretty well. The first time (in Mushroom Kingdom 1) was great because I survived to ~300% one life by grabbing the corners of the pits when flying away from his down smashes. He even hit me with a death veggie, twice.
I'd like to play him again sometime.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
wondering why this is an argument

I'm not really sure why we're arguing about Din's Fire's capability to get rid of a camping Pikachu on Kongo Jungle 2...What is the Pika doing there? Never mind that it's still easy to dodge. As Scamp said, even Bowser could air-dodge it.

Your description of the match with BaleFireBoy is funny. His description was that he utterly destroyed you, and the day consisted of you just continuously challenging him in 1v1s and then losing. "Glutton for punishment" was the description. He even went on to say that he probably wouldn't bother to play you guys again because you weren't too special.

Looks like either you or BFB is too embarassed to face up to the truth...This should be good.

-B

snap pop

Smash Journeyman
hang on, lets get something straight...

Din's fire is not all that useful in one on ones, but it's by no means crappy.

and what's with all this "even bowser" stuff, bowser IS NOT a bad character. We used to think he was awful, even after it became obvious that Ganondorf was the worst in the game, but it turns out that he's really above average.

I'm not joking, if my bro comes to tg4, many of you will come to fear Bowser. Too bad we probably can't get matt to agree to some sort of "bowser stipulation", though... he does eat it pretty hard to counter picking, and he's not a top tier character anyway.

Eoraptor

Smash Apprentice
Bumble Bee Tuna- Wah? BaleFireBoy's description is completely inaccurate when it comes to his battles against me at least. I did continuously challenge him at 1 on 1's, because he was by far the best of his play group. I never lost to anyone else there, so I wanted a challenge, not another easy win. His "best character" was Peach. Our first fight was in Mushroom Kingdom 1, and I beat him. He wanted a rematch because my survival to such a high damage percent could be considered a fluke. So we fought on Peach's Castle, and I beat him there too. These were not easy wins, mind you, but I was the victor. Our first Pikachu vs. Yoshi battle was in Icicle Mountain, and I lost. I blame it partially on the stage. Our second was in Battlefield (I think), and I won. Our third was in Pokemon Stadium, and I lost. Those two Yoshi battles were the only ones I lost as Pikachu the whole day (except my battle with 1psemet). I beat any other characters BaleFireBoy and his friends used, including a Falco, Zelda/Sheik and Pikachu, without a single match lost. ****, I even made it to the finals in our "random character" tournament, using Dr. Mario skills I didn't know I had. So I don't see how that could be termed "utter destruction" or how he could call me a "glutton for punishment".
1psemet's brother on the other hand, was having a very bad day. He lost all his matches (perhaps BaleFireBoy was confusing use two), but this could be blamed on his lack of sleep. He did fall asleep in the car on the ride home after all.
As for 1psemet's record, you'll have to ask him.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
the "even Bowser" clause

my stipulation that "even Bowser" could dodge Din's Fire is merely because Bowser is the slowest character and the biggest target. Thus he is the hardest character to dodge things with, but even he could. Nothing to do with how good he is as a character (though, coincidentally, he does suck IMO).

I do have to wonder though...if Bowser is above average, who's below average? Obviously you think Ganondorf...But seriously the only people I've heard claim Bowser is decent have only gone so far as to say he can "hold his own", but never so far as to say he was one of the top 13 characters.

I will agree that Din's Fire is useful in FFA...but we're discussing 1v1. Or do you think it has a good use in 1v1? I just don't see how a slow, hard-to-aim projectile that is possibly the easiest projectile to dodge and also leaves Zelda completely vulnerable because she can't move can be described as useful in a 1v1. They jump over it and attack immobile Zelda.

-B

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Well, I for one see little use in Din's fire in a 1v1.

The only practical use i see for it is to make somebody move - only downside is that it has so much recover time, that they'll be rushing you when they move.

Only other use it could have is edge guarding - like if you knock somebody cross level - and cant make it in time to eat their second jump, you could try that..... but it's not guarenteed

BalefireBoy

Smash Journeyman
looks like we need some clarification...

Eoraptor, do not think for one minute that I don't respect your Pika skills. They were VERY good, as should be expected if that is the ONLY character you play. And to everyone else, yes, his record is accurate for that day. (No offence, but I did consider that Mushroom Kingdom game a fluke. You were a life behind that entire game.) And Eo did make it to the finals in a random character tournie, ( I forget who you had to fight) with Doctor. Ironically, I beat him in the finals with another Doctor. Honestly, I thought you guys would be dead meat if you didn't get your guys one character. I actually did consider myself and Eo to be the two best there. But...on the whole, I think my group had the better showing, again, please take no offence, I'm just stating my point-of-view. I felt bad for John(?). And I'll take it at your guys word that it was as off-day for him.

Honestly, though, I think you guys handicap yourself be playing just one character religiously. Granted, you wouldn't be as skillful with Pika if you didn't just play with him but I think it's important to play many characters, not hardcore, mind you, just to switch it up every now and then. Also, quite frankly, it did bother us that you guys play on just a couple of the "calmer" stages. It will put you a disadvantage when you have to play on them.

And now comes the time to explain the "glutton" quote. The thread that I posted my account of what happened was all about the different ways that people react to losing. One of the classifications was "Glutton for punishment". It just meant that whoever lost would want to play again to prove themselves or get revenge. Hey, I was a glutton too after the fluke MK1 game.
There are worse types of loser to be and I said that everyone was real friendly and no one was a poor sport about it. Now why I decided to tell about our meeting then was because the thread was moving towards what happens when different play groups meet. So I told the story and to try and keep it on topic I felt I should try and classify what type you guys belonged in. Since it was you guys wanting to fight me in 1v1 for most of the time, (Even though everyone but you, Eo, kept losing) I felt the "Glutton" type fit best. Trust me, Glutton is the best type to be.

So, on the whole, I respect your Pika skills, Eo, and even though you made it to the finals in a random char tournie I think you and your friends are shooting yourself in the foot but limiting yourselves in character and stage selection.

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm aware that this thread is dead, and that this is largely due to my letting it become such. As Eoraptor said, it's obvious that most people here don't (or can't) appreciate this style of discourse. This, obviously, discourages continuation of such as it is obviously futile. Bumble Bee Tuna, Scamp, Recipherus, and a couple of others are fine and the reason why the thread was continued. It had reached a perfecly acceptable conclusion when, after it had started it's drift, the intrusion of Matdeezie, m1nds, and other spammy people who are uselessly slandering for no apperant reason changed the nature of it so radically as to make it untenable. Thus I stopped paying attention, and have basically left the boards for a couple weeks. That being the case, I'll ignore what has come up after my last post here, as it's generally useless. No offence Bumble Bee Tuna, or the others who have tried to be constructive. However, having finally read what has been said by Balefireboy I feel a response necessary, belated though it is, so as not to portray a false picture of anything.

Balefireboy, I disagree with your statements for several reasons. First of all, I would like to state that my record, while not as good as Eoraptors, wasn't all that bad. I don't remember the specifics (should have written them down), and I did have a losing record to you, but it wasn't by that much. Furthermore all of the matches were close. I would have appreciated it if we could have done stock ten instead of stock three, but there were understandable time constraints. Secondly, YOU made a good showing. Your friends seemed to be vastly worse than you in general. The only one who seemed serious was the Pika player, who I lost to once and won against every other time. I didn't suffer defeat from any of the others at all (Excluding in the random character tourney, memory fuzzy about the specifics of such). As such I would say that our group had a better showing, even taking into account that John lost every single match that he played (he was really sucking it up that day).

Also, I think that somewhere along the line you may have gotten an incorrect perception of our character and stage selection habbits. Eoraptor is the only one who plays one character exclusively. I'm play three (major) characters, John three as well, and Sean, who did not show up, two. Also, we don't play only a "few" of the hazardless stages. We don't play only a few of the worst stages, in our opinion. These being Flatzone, Big Blue, Ice.. whatever, the ice climbers stage anyway, and recently Pokefloats. We generally stay away from the old Mario ones but play them enough. Note that even though this is the case, we were uncomplaining when the Ice Climbers stage poped up twice despite all probability.

As for your drawing the conclusion that you two were the best there... I grant you that it would seem logical. You had the two best records. But you have to consider all of the possibly extenuating factors. Thus it is rather irking that you are simply content with this assessment and refuse any offers of a rematch. Why? Because it doesn't accurately portray things. As Eoraptor could show you with the matches we have been recording, he is in no way the distinct best of us. He get's slaughtered by Sean, beaten more often than not by myself, and has a two for one(ish) record against John. SSBM is non-transitive to an extent, granted, but not to any major one. You claim that we are in general not much in the way of competition, and certainly not better than yourself and your playgroup. It can quite easily be proven, in a much more satisfactory fashion, either way quite simply. If you would simply consent to another meeting (surely you can find a couple hours sometime), we could set up a tournament to rules that I'm sure we can both agree on. Just say the word, as it isn't much of a problem. This conclusion, otherwise, is rather unsatisfactory.

For we drew some vastly different conclusions on that day. I assert that you are pretty **** good, about on par with myself and Eoraptor (though a tad worse in general. Perhaps due to your not really concentrating on any single character.), the Pika player was decent, though he has distinct problems, and the others weren't really into it at all, and thus not on the cutting edge. So as a Playgroup, ours is distinctly better (espescially when you add Sean), when compared to yours. Though you yourself have great potential, and an interesting playstyle. I have no animosity toward you or yours, mind, I simply find it unbearable that you have an unwarrantedly superior attitude, and refuse to put it to the test. Mostly because you chose to make public your perspective (and you were much more inflamatory in your MBR post, BTW), and having others who I have to interect with in some fashion have slurred views of me is unacceptable if avoidable. And it is. If we meet again, and Me, Eoraptor, and Sean don't come out on top I'll be flabbergasted, and apologise for such provocative statements.

PS: I'll respond to the original thread that you made your statements later today. It seems like the reverse order to do it in, but the above statements didn't seem appropriate to the context of the thread, in adition to the fact that I'm tired and this seemed easier at the time. Tootles.

Eoraptor

Smash Apprentice
BaleFireBoy- Thanks for the clarification and compliment.
Sometimes I do think I should try to master more characters. I actually have a secondary character of sorts- Ness. Unfortunately, he has a really steep learning curve, and a horrible returning ability. It might be a handicap to use only Pikachu, but if my primary goal was trying to eliminate potential handicaps, I would be playing Sheik or Falco instead. As for the stage selection thing, I actually don't eliminate very many stages. Those being Flatzone, Icicle Mountain and Hyrule Castle. Any others, I'll play on without complaint in a vs. human match. I do think Jungle Japes and Great Bay lead to too many suicides, while Rainbow Cruise, Pokefloats and Big Blue are too varying for a serious match, but I will still play these stages. In fact, I seem to do rather well at Big Blue. But as you say, if the stages I dislike come up at a tournament, I'll be screwed. So I should probably play them more often. 1psemet has a more limited selection than I do, but he can discuss that if he wants.
I agree that I fit the "glutton" type when I lose, but didn't have the proper context to put that in before I was able to read the MBR post this is about. So I'll reply to the specifics there....
I would like to second 1psemet's request for another meeting between our two groups.

1psemet- You play three characters? There's Samus and Marth, but who's your third? You're not counting Luigi, are you? That's even less true than me playing Ness. Sean does technically play two characters- Sheik and Zelda, but those sort of come together, if you know what I mean. And who's Jon's third character after Captain Falcon and Fox? Mario?
Regarding the comparative skill in our group, though what you said might be technically true, it's not representative of the facts.
My Pikachu is in par with your Marth. Note we were tied for matches won until this weekend.
My Pikachu doesn't get enough of a chance to fight your Samus to decide our skill level. Because you refuse to play that combination, we've only had one good match- the stock 3 at BaleFireBoy's place. You did win, but only by 1, and it was on Final Destination (Samus' and your best stage). I think anyone would agree more matches need to be fought to determine our comparative skill with these characters.
The situation between Sean and myself is complex. Without items, my record is 1-13 against his Zelda, so he is clearly better then. With items against Zelda, my record is 7-4, so I'm a bit better in that situation. Without items against Sheik, my record is 2-12, so again, he is better. And with items, it's 3-7. So, I'm worse than his Sheik, but the presence of items determines my skill against his Zelda.
My record against Jon's Captain Falcon is 12-5, so you were right in your 2-1ish estimate.

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
Originally posted by 1psemet
Okay, I'm aware that this thread is dead, and that this is largely due to my letting it become such. As Eoraptor said, it's obvious that most people here don't (or can't) appreciate this style of discourse. This, obviously, discourages continuation of such as it is obviously futile. Bumble Bee Tuna, Scamp, Recipherus, and a couple of others are fine and the reason why the thread was continued. It had reached a perfecly acceptable conclusion when, after it had started it's drift, the intrusion of Matdeezie, m1nds, and other spammy people who are uselessly slandering for no apperant reason changed the nature of it so radically as to make it untenable. Thus I stopped paying attention, and have basically left the boards for a couple weeks. That being the case, I'll ignore what has come up after my last post here, as it's generally useless. No offence Bumble Bee Tuna, or the others who have tried to be constructive. However, having finally read what has been said by Balefireboy I feel a response necessary, belated though it is, so as not to portray a false picture of anything.
Oh man, WE EFFING PROVED THAT YOU DIDNT MAKE A POINT.

You ramble on for 3 pages what can be said clearly in 1. You didnt make any points, and the big words just hid the fact that there were none. (Actually there was one i was exaggerating. ) Then you come on and say that the reason why you left is cause we dont know to debate. To say we arent intelligent enough.

WE MADE DIFFERENT POINTS. They are usually concise and pretty much to the point. We dont have to bust out a thesaurus to disguise our meanings. Probably cause there are usually more than one. A lot of people arent impressed by your vocabulary. Just cause you know big words doesnt mean you know anything about competitive games.

I dont belive I ever flamed you without making a point. Every time I insulted you, in the same post I made a point. Other people I cant speak of. You couldnt stand the debate. You were losing. You kept making the same one point because you had nothing to rely on. Eventually your thesarus runs out of words, so of course what do you do, say the people arent intelligent enough to debate with you.

well theres nothing i can really do about it. I dont have as big of a vocab, Im sorry I ever tried to debate with you. Me being unintelligent and all.

Man you are an effing choad. You should stick to palentology.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um, just a word on discussions: When making a statement, it can be as long as NEEDED. There's no need to do extreely long posts that could be easily resumed, unless there's a REAL need for them. Only make large statements if there's a real necessity of every word in it. If not, you're just trying to look intelligent and failing miserably.

ATTENTION: This isn't specifically directed to the guy with the large posts (forgot his name). In fact, i haven't read all of his posts because they make me dizzy. This is to debaters in general.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
yeah...

as much as I may have tried to defend you, 1psemet, it's true. You are way too longwinded. These guys aren't off base in saying that.

Example:

"You claim that we are in general not much in the way of competition, and certainly not better than yourself and your playgroup. It can quite easily be proven, in a much more satisfactory fashion, either way quite simply. If you would simply consent to another meeting (surely you can find a couple hours sometime), we could set up a tournament to rules that I'm sure we can both agree on. Just say the word, as it isn't much of a problem. This conclusion, otherwise, is rather unsatisfactory. "

Honestly this is redundant to the extreme. It can quite easily be proven, in a much more satisfactory fashion, either way quite simply? How about just saying "It could be proven either way"? I mean **** man I know how you feel, I tend to write longwinded posts...then I edit for economy. Perhaps this style of speech is peachy keen for paleontology papers, but honestly there's one thing they'll drill in English class and that's "know your audience". Don't use a large word where a diminuitive one woudl suffice. (Ha. Ha. Ha.)

Anyway, that's about it. Short is good.

-B

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
First of all, Eoraptor. Yes, my third character is Luigi. I have much more playtime with him than you do with Ness, and while it's untested where they compare to each other, I hardly think that Ness counts for you. When I say secondary characters I don't mean the character that you would choose if forced to play someone other than your primary. I refer to characters that you have a good deal of playtime with and a mastery of them in a general sense. I therefore state that your Ness doesn't really count, while I stand by my Luigi claim. And John's is Mario indeed. He's got quite some time racked up with him and is pretty good. I was debating adding Gannondorf to his list, but decided it didn't quite qualify, much like your Ness. And of course, Sean plays either Zelda or Sheik for the entirety of the match, so they are certainly qualified as two separate entities (who happen not to have vB's for all intents and purposes, not that they need them.). As for the records, you are accurate. The fact remains that I simply have more recorded victories against you (by three, out of... 11?), so we are obviously reasonably close, but if you were forced to draw a conclusion from the data, it would have to be that I am better. Especially when you consider that I have a grossly superior record against Sean, and a considerably better one against Jon.

And Mattdeezie... This is why I am filled with an overwhelming sense of futility when arguing with you. You proved nothing. Certainly not that I had no point. I had several reasons that were related to randomness, indeed. I also had several others, of which I outlined the major ones in one of the posts immediately following your ludicrous claim.

As for your claiming obfuscation on my part (this goes for gilgamesh as well), it simply isn't the case. I made numerous points in each paragraph, coupled with any qualifiers, explanations, and examples that I thought necessary to get said point across. I use "big words" because it is natural for me to do so, as I simply have a high working vocabulary, and more precise. I am once again forced to question your amount of exposure to anything intellectual at all. I certainly don't speak this way to be "impressive", and I've never used a thesaurus in my life. My posts aren't geared toward the prepubescent, mentally deficient, or the ignorant. You are overtly defensive about this point for no good reason, it's simply not an issue. And, as a side note: my knowledge of competitive games, obviously, comes from exposure to such.

First of all, simply because you make some vague, unjustified points WHILE being uselessly insulting means nothing. It is still gratuitous and has no point in a debate. I was being somewhat unprofessional in this manner as well, granted, but only in direct response to such from yourself. And impressive is your impossibly detailed knowledge of my motivations, Matdeezie. I left because I was losing, eh? I'll more clearly state the exactitude’s for you to clear up that delusion. I left because it became apparent that you particularly, though it also applies to various spammy friends, simply proved yourself to be unable to grasp fundamental distinctions time and time again. And though I tried valiantly to elucidate my views, you only proved capable of the most basic reading skills as you blithely ignored my reasoning (perhaps you are simply confused by the "big words"?), and counter it with childish insults and short, unjustified statements.

As for your last two "paragraphs"... the second one simply demonstrates how true the first one is. You obviously can't read very well. Have I ever mentioned Paleontology? No, no I haven’t. It's not my field, and in fact I find it mind-numbingly boring. You are confusing me with Eoraptor, who quite distinctly stated that he was a paleontologist several times.

Bumble Bee Tuna- I appreciate your support in general... but I have to disagree here. Yes, I quite distinctly made a mistake there. I never claimed to be perfect. I often don't bother to proofread my posts, such as last night, where I fell asleep almost immediately afterwards. I would have obviously edited that out. It was useless and redundant indeed, however, I challenge you to find other instances where that is the case. You will find that it is an exception, perhaps a unique one. Longwinded? Yes, in comparison to the majority. Though I maintain that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Redundant? No.

And know and speak for your audience indeed. The problem with that when applied to message boards is that this audience widely varies. I'm sure that many find my mannerisms perfectly acceptable. Eoraptor for sure, and perhaps Scamp as well as unknown amounts of readers who don't bother responding. It's obviously too much for people like Mattdeezie, but I'm not going to dumb things down to the extent that even a small child could understand. For I don't give a rat's *** about most of the populace. I write for the audience that I care to converse with. If a large word more accurately portrays what I'm getting at, then I'll use it instead of a small one. And, as I mentioned to Mattdeezie, you are confusing me with Eoraptor in regards to paleontology.

In conclusion: short is a somewhat important, though secondary, consideration to both precision and sufficient justification.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My name was mentioned so I get to say something! Normally I'd just let this play out as I don't like to go into the middle of fights but, like I just said, my name was mentioned.

I don't really mind long posts, or posts with words I usually don't bother to look up. However, I think you're underestimating the power of shortness. (Insert your own joke here.) The longer something is, the less people tend to care. That's why all sound bites in the media and entertainment business are all one-liners or specific moments. That's why most people I know can't stand politics, because people talk about the same thing too much in many different ways.

Personally, I pride myself on being very good at saying what I need to say in as few words as possible. Estoy poet. Rah!

So, I wouldn't call shortness secondary. But, on the other hand, I've never taken a speechwriting class. And it seems to me that most political speechwriters do everything they can to lengthen any speech. (Hold for applause)

But seriously, I'd like to point some things out. You said...

"First of all, simply because you make some vague, unjustified points WHILE being uselessly insulting means nothing. It is still gratuitous and has no point in a debate."

But before that you said...

"I am once again forced to question your (MattDeezie's) amount of exposure to anything intellectual at all."

And after that you said...

"You (MattDeezie) obviously can't read very well."

"It's obviously too much for people like Mattdeezie, but I'm not going to dumb things down to the extent that even a small child could understand."

That's not nice! Matt's points were never vague!
Seriously, though, I fully understand the temptation to throw in a couple cheap shots, especially if you're getting frustrated but if you're taking the moral high road you simply cannot do that or you lose some credibility.

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
First off, I dont mind long posts. I actually have been known to write rather long ones myself. However, what I DO mind, is long posts, that dont make any points. Its like not only am I reading something that I know the person does not know anything about, but I have to read it by someone who is making it way too incredibly long.

First off you say you made points.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see that you did not. I actually asked you time and again to make your points clear. You never did. Every time you had to seperate and boil your points down, it was all randomness. You never had anything else to rely on. I made this point time and again, yet you never were able to to anything about it. So what do you do, you attack my intelligence.

You think you made points that were different. Go back and cut and paste your "different" points that dont have to do anything about randomness. (Randomness said 5 different ways is still randomness.) I don't think this will happen because if you attempt, you will realize that you dont have anything. You probably will retort with something like, "Well I dont need to do this, because Mattdeezie isnt intelligent enough to realize that what I am saying is true, and he is hostile and hurt my feelings."

Intelligence isnt having a big vocabulary. Sometimes its being able to see the crap that people pull over your eyes.

Yes I threw in insults. Why? Cause I was seriously sickened every time I had to read one of your posts. They bug me, and disgust me. I can't beleive that some people dont see through your crap. So me being upset, and annoyed, threw in insults. 1. To amuse myself. 2. To make the topic at least a little bit interesting. I almost always make a point in my posts. I dont blatently flame.

Yes other people flamed. Like M1nds. However at least in his early posts he made the distinction enough to be able to see through the fact that you dont say anything different. Too bad he got on the wrong side of B, cause I sometimes found his posts to be funny, and often they rang very true. I think if he just toned it down a notch, he might have been able to stay. (I think flaming B didnt help much considering B just got the powers to ban people heh heh.)

So yea, cut the crap. Make a few different points before you attack intelligence. Hopefully Im not the only one who sees through your lack of points.

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
Well Scamp, we really don't fundamentally disagree as far as I can tell. I am perfectly aware that the longer something is the less people will bother with it and care. This also applies to things as they get more abstruse. If I was forced to write some blurb to catch people's attention and generate interest on a large scale, obviously I'd tone down my language to a more sedate, everyday (for most people) level as well as be as concise as possible. However, I'm not doing that. I was going about expounding upon concepts that aren't particularly blatant and that, thus, require a certain amount of justification and examples before I could expect people to accept them. I didn't really expect to change many people's minds. Bumble Bee Tuna brought up the example of arguing religion with people, and it certainly applies here. Most people, for varying reasons, will stick to whatever they happen to believe and there is simply NOTHING that you can possibly do to persuade them, no matter how much evidence you can bring to bear. The majority simply doesn't work on a logical level. They simply chose one camp (in this case items or no-items) for personalized, often subconscious, reasons and will stick to them until death. The people who are most receptive to change, I've found, are people who are logically, scientifically minded people on some level. These types are generally more intellectual, and perfectly capable of understanding what I say, if not word for word then the concepts certainly. I lay out my reasoning as exhaustively as I can to give them something useful to think about. Change only (logically) occurs with new information or perspectives. Short, even pithy, phrases and analogies are simply futile, as they don't provide people with any real information that they can possibly use to change their mind. Everyone is perfectly aware of the dichotomy between item lovers and not, but very few ever bother to go through all the possible pros and cons, much less to experiment to confirm their musings.

And as for my flaming Mattdeezie... You failed to quote my statement of "I was being somewhat unprofessional in this manner as well, granted, but only in direct response to such from yourself.". Yeah, I was insulting him right back. But that's the thing, you will notice that my insults only occur directly after posts where he was insulting. I never claimed to possess, nor do I want the moral high ground. And obviously I'm frustrated, as anyone reasonable in my circumstance would be, and will retaliate. If this makes me lose credibility in some people's eyes tis unfortunate... But I'm confident that anyone fundamentally sane will realize the superiority of my position (even if they prefer items) in this case. That being of someone logical trying to defend his points logically, and being countered with petty meaningless insults and unjustified (though you're right, generally not vague) counter-arguments. And in turn pointing out the exactitudefs of this and the nature of his opposition... which happens to be quite insulting indeed in this case.

Well then, onto the joy that is responding to Mattdeezie. I, strangely, agree with most of what you say in your first paragraph. Long, though meaningless, posts are quite annoying and tedious. The problem with your intent though is that it simply doesn't apply to me. You seem to be the only one unable to extract meaning from my writing (well, that isn't true, but I'll ignore people of m1nds caliber). All of my paragraphs, and furthermore all of my sentences do in fact convey information in the form of points. Go back and try to find a paragraph my myself that did not clearly express some point of mine, or that wasn't making distinct counter arguments. You won't be able to. Simply put, you are insane, or have very low reading comprehension if you think that I don't make any.

You say that I ignored repeated requests by yourself to justify myself. This simply isn't the case. When you made your initial demand for such, Eoraptor shortly put up a summary of most of them. I was confident that it would satisfy such, but, grantedly partially due to his layout you were displeased with this. Okay, so then I made this paragraph in the last statement before I disappeared:

"About how Eoraptor's post explained everything to you, from what you say, I have to disagree and say that it obviously explained nothing. The way that he set up his argument/counter-argument system makes it so that several anti-item arguments are placed within the top. Furthermore, arguments 2, 3, 5, and 7 for pro items aren't relevant, but were listed there for completionfs sake. "Items add fun" for instance, doesn't pertain to whether they should be used in tournaments very much, does it? Arguments 4 and 6 are heavily disputed, and if he had listed anti-arguments first, they would have been listed there. Number 8 is valid, but there is a solution that can be brought about without items that is more effective. This leaves you with 1, 9, 10, and 11 that are valid and largely undisputed reasons that could not also be used for the opposite side of the debate. So please actually try reading the posts that you insist on commenting on, I would like to say once again.

So yes, the main anti-item arguments include the five or so distinct ways in which randomness is bad. It is utterly at odds with the tenants of tournament play, and thus takes on a very important role for purposes of this debate. They also include other important things such as "Items make character effectiveness potential more disparate." (Read: decrease balance by making the best characters comparatively better and the worst comparatively worse. This is inherently bad, as balance one of the primary goals in fighters). As well as that items decrease complexity in some meaningful ways, largely due to the skill sets associated with them being overwhelmingly important compared to all but only a couple of the others. This leaves the anti-item arguments with A1-A5 (the many ways in which randomness is bad, except for the belief of mine that items bring the winning % closer to 50 among people of near, but not quite, equal skill, which was mentioned extensively but ignored. I will call this A6. This will be tested by the results of the experiment that Eoraptor is performing.), and a modified version of 4 and 6. "

This clearly states several points, and furthermore illustrates that YOU actually have very few points to lean on. Less than I. As admitted, many of my points are related to randomness. There is a large variety of ways in which it is inimical to competitive gameplay. I was forced to explain each of these quite extensively. I also explained extensively the other points that I brought up, stated in the above paragraph. So actually, you will note, each time you demanded a synopsis, it was provided for you. The fact that you simply chose to ignore them wasn't any of my doing. I attack your intelligence largely because you seem oblivious to the fact that I am making such.

You will note three major claims (unbalancing factor, over-importance of the skill set, and drift in results toward a neutral value), in addition to the many randomness reasons. I have backed these all up thoroughly, and have evidence in the form of many, many recorded matches that supports all of them. Feel free to perform the same tests that I have. Any of you; more data never hurts (unless of course someone lies). You will come up with nearly the same results, accounting for personal variation to an extent. Apparently you don't consider evidence a valid form of argument, but other people do and you can only draw certain conclusions from particular data sets. They all fit with my beliefs.

And this assertion of yours that "Randomness said 5 different ways is still randomness." is one of the reasons why I find it difficult to refrain from insults. You act as if it was but a singular, minor reason. Can you not comprehend that the various aspects of items that are somehow related to randomness can each be important? The five reasons pointed out are all quite distinct and have a profound effect on gameplay. Sure, they all stem in some fashion from randomness. That doesn't make them all one reason though.

Did I ever say intelligence was directly correlated to a big vocabulary? No. Out of all the possible beliefs regarding the subject, mine are the farthest possible from such a biased and unjustified one. I couldn't agree more with you. It has nothing at all to do with ones knowledge base, including vocabulary. I certainly don't judge you, or anyone, unintelligent for that reason. Being perceptive of, as you say, people pulling crap over your eyes is much more indicative. Why I question yours so much has to do with the fact that you would seem to be distinctly UNperceptive, and couldn't recognize a point if it was shoved through your eye. You seem able to recognize something as a point only if it is stated in a list format that can't use any word with more than three syllables.

Well, needless to say, you obviously disgust me as well. So I throw out counter-insults. Did I ever accuse you of flaming, though? I said that they were gratuitous. Because they don't fit the criteria for a flame doesn't make them applicable.

And, as a closing note in the same vein as yours... I can only hope that the world isn't plagued with many people like you, who see one (or no) points where multitudes abound. And furthermore I hope that people have enough sense in general not to be swayed by your blather about such in the face of evidence to the contrary.

NJE789

Smash Journeyman
WHOA-

I didn't care enough to read the whole essay on that last one, but my opinion is based on the fact that items cause randomness, though it could be controlled by limiting the amount of them and turning the more powerful ones off, items still have no place in a tournament, which is all about skill. Items level the playing field, allowing someone who is not that skilled to possibly cheapshot with an unfair advantage given by an item and winning a match that should have gone to the more deserving player with more skill. How can all of you go on and on about this when it's as simple as that?:confused:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The problem, as I see it, is that even if you make 5 different distinct points that lead back to randomness, you still haven't proven that "randomness" is necessarily a bad thing. In this case, it's not even purely random. It's probability. You might as well ask a tournament to be fought on one stage only to reduce the chance of getting an unfavorable stage. Then there's the probability of meeting certain opponents in the tourney itself.

As for "the unskilled player getting a cheap shot," go back and read the posts about "items breaking stalemates."

Also, balance is an issue now? You mean this same game where FFS win nearly every tournament? As stated, even the stages can unbalance the game in favor of a certain character. If you're that worried about this supposedly unbalacing factor, there are plenty of balance problems existent in a one-on-one environment even without items.

NJE789

Smash Journeyman
This guy just doesn't get it... sad..

Um, I'm going to try my best to explain this in a brief manner:
There is a BIG difference between a stage giving a slight advantage and a starman making a player invincible, making an almost impossible situation for the opponent.:o
understand?:******:

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, my comment: i somtimes play without items, and when i turn them on, i deactivate invincibilities and HP recovers.. This is because i play with small stocks (4 lives) and usually 1vs1. That's my choice, although i'm prepared to battle under almost any setting.

Now, about redundancy... as a latin i'm not very knowledgeable about english, yet allow me to point out some things:

Well Scamp, we really don't fundamentally disagree as far as I can tell. I am perfectly aware that the longer something is the less people will bother with it and care. This also applies to things as they get more abstruse. If I was forced to write some blurb to catch people's attention and generate interest on a large scale, obviously I'd tone down my language to a more sedate, everyday (for most people) level as well as be as concise as possible.
False. People can mantain interest in things as long as they aren't repetitive and keep interesting. When you see someone stretch an idea just to complicate it a bit, it's going against communication. I don't say you should synthesize everything, but try to stay away from fancytalk.

I was going about expounding upon concepts that aren't particularly blatant and that, thus, require a certain amount of justification and examples
Take this phrase for example... was it necessary to stretch it THAT much? You try to sound Archival, and it's not even that.

The people who are most receptive to change, I've found, are people who are logically, scientifically minded people on some level. These types are generally more intellectual, and perfectly capable of understanding what I say, if not word for word then the concepts certainly. I lay out my reasoning as exhaustively as I can to give them something useful to think about. Change only (logically) occurs with new information or perspectives. Short, even pithy, phrases and analogies are simply futile, as they don't provide people with any real information that they can possibly use to change their mind. Everyone is perfectly aware of the dichotomy between item lovers and not, but very few ever bother to go through all the possible pros and cons, much less to experiment to confirm their musings.
You really don't know a thing about the science of communication. I don't consider myself a genious (well, actually i do) yet i understand what you try to say. The problem is, all that can be said in much less words. That's what redacting is about. The problem isn't about people not understanding you, it's that they get dizzy with so much unnecesary information. Take, for example, dense books like St. thomas' summa theologica - they are long and dense, yet they already were synthetized. All the info is completely necessary. This is the difference with your posts.

NJE789

Smash Journeyman
ARRGGH! he made another essay..

I probably shouldn't comment on this at all since I haven't read the whole debate over it, but at least I don't go into the science of communication, It's like spamming from the sheer space it takes up...
Aww, man.. I hope this doesn't trigger another essay..sheesh.. take it easy, there.
Alright, I think some items are okay, like the mr saturn item, it's function is just a basic throw item, it doesn't give the player using it an unfair advantage, and on top of that it adds stradegy to the fight. there's only a few other items that do that, the rest give too much of an unfair advantage... err, I can't really go anywhere with this.. it's the bottomline..simple and inarguable.. there, now this worthless debate is over. Go in my topic and discuss character tiers, a topic worth debating.

Recipherus

Smash Journeyman
sorry i haven't posted in a while, i've been really busy with school. 1psemet, you're a thesauraus using newbie, and i hate you. The only thing that made me time and time again post up arguments with you was to keep pro-items going strong. Of course, i had to bottle up my personal feelings with you and try to keep things on topic.
One of the first things they teach you in a college writing class is how to make your essays shorter and to the point. Which is hard, because most freshman college students are used to filling up their essays with "filler" to meet the minimum essay length requirement. All of your posts are longwinded, confusing, and often don't make much sense. It may have taken others a while to realize this, but from the posts i've read, it seems to be a consensus among many peeps on the boards.

Ok, let me contribute something to the argument now.

I'm going to use real statistics methods to make a point, this may be confusing ( which is why i didn't try this before) but i think i should give it a try.
First, let me explain what Standard Deviation means. If you had the mean(avg.) of something, say the amount of match wins joe gets out of 100 matches with his friend bob. let's say joe wins exactly half of the matches usually. The mean would then be 50, or 50 wins.
Let's just say the SD(standard deviation) is 7. ( i will explain what this means in a sec.)
What if though, Joe wins 48 out of 100? does this mean the avg. is really less then 50? maybe, but we can't be sure. why? because this is less then one standard deviation from the mean. If joe only won, say, 30 wins out of 100 would that be significant enough to say Joe's avg is really less then 50? Now you have a strong case to say Joe's avg is less then 50. why? because 30 is more then two SD's (14) from the mean.

This follows the idea of "normal distribution". if Joe and Bob played X amount of trials, with each trial containing 100 matches. Laws of statistics say that 67.5% of the trials should be within 1 SD from the mean. 95% of the trials should be within 2 SD's from the mean. and 99.5% of the trials should be withing 3 SD's from the mean. This is basically how statistics people test something to see if something is out of the ordinary.
I don't want to get into on how to calculate the SD.One thing i will say though, is that if you increase the number of matches the SD get's smaller.

From day one I took your argument as "items increase the Standard Deviation from the mean" or as you put it increase randomness. My argument was that even if they do increase the SD from the mean ( which i think is very slight) , the player's who can use items better has his win avg (mean) increased, while his opponent's decreases. Even if the SD increases from where it used to be you can shrink it back down to size by increasing the amount of matches or stock. Your argument then, should be on the amount of lives or matches needed for a fair outcome of a match.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
yeah

What he said. I argue with people I don't particular like all the time (just check out those religious debates in the Debate Hall. Those guys are real idiots). You are longwinded. It didn't take me a long time to realize such. But I did see some semblance of a point and the items debate has been so heavily weighted toward pro that I wanted to give you a chance. Don't take that as support for your style of posting, however. Of course, don't think I would go as far as Recipherus here and actually hate you for your style of posting. I hate very few people, and think it's pretty silly to hate over that particular issue...
You wanted more examples of longwindedness. We'll look at the first part of your first paragraph:

"Well Scamp, we really don't fundamentally disagree as far as I can tell. I am perfectly aware that the longer something is the less people will bother with it and care. This also applies to things as they get more abstruse. If I was forced to write some blurb to catch people's attention and generate interest on a large scale, obviously I'd tone down my language to a more sedate, everyday (for most people) level as well as be as concise as possible. However, I'm not doing that. I was going about expounding upon concepts that aren't particularly blatant and that, thus, require a certain amount of justification and examples before I could expect people to accept them. I didn't really expect to change many people's minds. Bumble Bee Tuna brought up the example of arguing religion with people, and it certainly applies here. Most people, for varying reasons, will stick to whatever they happen to believe and there is simply NOTHING that you can possibly do to persuade them, no matter how much evidence you can bring to bear. "
I would revise this to say:

"I don't think we really disagree here, Scamp. I realize that the longer or more abstruse something gets, the less people will pay attention. If I was interested in writing a sound bite to get someone's attention, I'd tone down my language and be more concise. I'm not writing sound bites. I'm making points that require a lot of reasoning and examples, because they aren't immediately obvious. I didn't expect to change any minds. It's similar to Bumble Bee Tuna's example of religious debate. Most people are hard set in their beliefs and no amount of evidence will ever convince them otherwise."

You get the idea. Short is good. I cut from 16 lines to 9.5 in my window. A very nice revision. I really don't think any meaning was lost in that revision. Granted, only you know exactly what you intended to get across but I don't think it lost anything. If it didn't lose any meaning, that means those 6.5 lines were unnecessary fluff. That's 40% of your post. But enough arguing over proper English skills. It's not as big of a deal as some people might claim. And I don't claim to be the master of conciseness myself...I'm pretty longwinded at times. But at least try to cut it down.

On to the debate!

No, you don't have five distinct ways randomness is bad, as you repeated claim. You have one distinct way randomness is bad, and 5 distinct parts of that randomness. There's a big difference. And the 5 parts are all quite silly as well. Yes, the randomness can be split into 5 distinct parts...but it doesn't need to be. All of it has the same purpose, that randomness in the match is increased. You could look at a game of ro-sham-bot and say there are 2 distinct ways the game is random, because both players randomly pick rock, paper, or scissors. Does it matter that the randomness was divided into 2 parts? If you roll 4 3-sided dice or 1 81-sided dice, you still get the same outcome- a 1 in 81 chance of any particular outcome occuring. (Hope I did the math correct, you get the idea). Does the fact that the randomness of the dice split from 1 distinct way to 4? It's still a certain level of randomness.

For the purpose of our argument, splitting the randomness isn't inherenty bad. We want to argue over degree, and in that case it is necessary to argue over the degree of each part. However, when tallying up the points you've made, it is silly to claim it as 5 different points. It is one point, that the level of randomness is unacceptable.

-B

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Re: This guy just doesn't get it... sad..

Originally posted by NJE789
Um, I'm going to try my best to explain this in a brief manner:
There is a BIG difference between a stage giving a slight advantage and a starman making a player invincible, making an almost impossible situation for the opponent.:o
understand?:******:
Oh, let me see here...

DK on flatzone?
IC on fourside?
Link at various camping spots?
Samus on FD or MK1?

And yet again, another "items are cheap" supporter. Even 1psemet and Eoraptor never ever called them cheap.

As is, I must re-iterate the previous point that the game is simply less fun without items. Yes, this is not an opinion shared by everyone and I understand that, but I'll explain my position. Without items the game becomes (for me, anyway) about dodging, rolling, and basic striking. Plus, there is a heavy need for someone to be the attacker, otherwise it turns into a staring contest. There is another game that is just like this except much better in this style. It's called Capcom vs. SNK 2. Also, for hardcore no-items play there's anways Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

I explained somewhere earlier in this thread why I don't think items help the faster characters specifically. Based off of that, I feel that the people who items hurt the most are the big characters. (i.e. Mewtwo, DK, Bowser, Ganondorf) Being giant gives them crappy item defense in general, and that makes them worse characters. Yeah, this does make the character balance worse overall, but three of those four characters were crappy to begin with. As far as fighting game competition goes, it's not so bad if characters fall off the bottom as long as you have at least 8 different styles of character than can conceivably win a tourney. (SSBM has more than 8, IMO. But I still say Shiek is the best.)

Oh, and for the record, people who never change their minds make way more interesting characters than people who always change their minds.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Re: ARRGGH! he made another essay..

Originally posted by NJE789
I probably shouldn't comment on this at all since I haven't read the whole debate over it,
You're right. you really shouldn't have commented about it, as you obviously didn't read it... (or didn't understand it). It was to say that long posts are OK as long as they're really necessary. NJE, until now you haven't removed that sign in your back that says "Flammable material"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom