• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's been a week, so what's the verdict? Buffed, Nerfed, or just different?

LeoWolf86

Smash Rookie
Holy freaking hell it is like he is a character now!

I used to play Yoshi just because he was fun and typically when friends said "cmon! Gimme a chance!". I'd doubt he'd be top tier but he is a force to be reckoned with now. I think he's a testament to how balanced this game is by comparison to Melee. They managed to make him very playable.

Don't be so quick to put down his dair. It actually has a LOT of potential. If you get the angle right so that the entire move causes damage and short hop it and use it on the ground I swear you can rack up as much as 35%. (You need to get them with the whole move, and when on the ground if you DI it right they are more or less held where they are since you are pushing them at the ground). I find it often works if I begin the move with them slightly behind you and DIing backwards (or as the case may warrant going past them and then doing it). It is hard to get that landed and get all of that 35 (near impossible), but you can get a lot racked up that way if you get it right and DI it properly.

Not to mention that with something resembling a third jump Yoshi can actually go off the ledge for more than 2 seconds! That little bit makes a world of difference. I've frequently used the Dair when someone is below the stage coming up, killed them, used my second jump and then used the egg to actually grab the ledge! Yoshi and the ledge! It is like a miracle I never imagined! You can use that or his fair to KO at relatively early percentages and while not as effective as Fox's shine, certainly reminds me of the satisfying feeling of doing that to them.

His back air is delightfully offensive and can be spammed add nauseum and it works beautifully with a pivot break. If you get it just right you can also go from his bair to an up air KO in an instant.

His up air is amazing, you can get someone with it, and then use his DJ using his up air and losing no momentum to get them with it again (And once they are that high, they KO pretty early with that). And you can use the same thing with any of his air moves now that his second jump does not cancel when you use his moves (his neutral is great, you can turn your foot into a wall of pain as you fast fall down)

His throw has been dramatically improved. With the pivot grab his range is excellent, and with his dash grab it is even more so. With his dash grab you can do something resembling a chain grab VERY early on if you work on the timing. Even later on it is still amazing to grab people out of the air with if you practice with it.

Both his up smash and his f smash are very capable KO moves at early percentages (I've seen them both as low as 100 or so on Final Dest). His neutral jabs come out quick and if you mix those up with some shielding and tilts you can really shock your opponent. His tilts are also excellent, they come out fast and are pretty reliable hits. His jabs and his tilts can actually make some reasonable comboing. His dash attack is also still awesome, and you can even mix in some fox trotting for a really unpredictable ground game. Yoshi's ground game is definitely a strength. His down smash got nerfed, but it is by no means never useful. And his eggs are STILL plenty effective, even in air. Sure it is different than we were used to in Melee, but in time I'm sure that it will become second nature again.

And his down B can be a godsend if you use it to grab the ledge if you need a unique approach to the stage to mix things up. He can even do all sorts of fun things on the ledge with his eggs. With the new way air dodges are done you can even attempt to safely approach the stage from above, which, with his second jump being so large and his third jump being so minimal, he often has little choice.

I never thought that I would actually count Yoshi as one of my mains!

Manic_1

Smash Cadet
my friend who mains yoshi says he feels nerfed but he is still kicking the crap out of everyone. I've only seen him loose 1 "with anyone" online match. and he says that he has only lost 3 in all and he has played 30-40 I think, so I'm thinking he just isn't used to him.

nub?

Smash Rookie
Just like shiri said a while back, I like to think of Yoshi in brawl and melee as two different characters. At first it felt pretty much impossible to handle yoshi with the djcs, but his new aerial game has me totally forgetting about djcs and such lol. I basically love yoshi's bair and tilts :) oh and his final smash is amazing too.

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
My verdict on Yoshi: i think the thing they nerfed for him alot was his ground play. His down smash on the ground has been slowed a bit and the damage cut i believe. It used to be a good fast kill move for me but not anymore. His headbutt however is still nice. I think they gave him better air play over all his Dair is slightly weaker and his old meteor smash head butt in the air dosent always result in a meteor smash like it used too. Overall Yoshi feels faster and smoother to me than he did in melee he feels like he can go into combos much better which is great! I hate the fact they shortened his tounge but owell. His Uair is my new kill move now i think that move is very strong. I also think that yoshis moves dont break through alot anymore his Yoshi Bomb has deffinetly been nerfed, alot of moves can brake it even when hes just about to hit them at full force. His eggs have nicer aim and can be bullseyed way better, his eggroll can break through alot of attacks and cancel alot aswell it also has good knock back when it comes to hitting people up in the air. Overall i think hes been improved and he has a chance against any character in Brawl. The thing i think that helps him alot is the lack of a DJC. The way i play him a DJC dosent matter it makes him way better for air combos. This all of course is in my opinion and i still have much to do with practicing my Yoshi skillz so if im wrong or someone dosent agree with me thats fine. All i know is i made it all the way to my Gamestop District Finals with Yoshi and got beat in a very very close match the fact i had defeated Fox, Snake, Wolf, and Pit players with yoshi after a week of the game being released gave me alot of hope and determination that Yoshi will be a beast just as much as anyone else. I throw Tier lists out the window!!!!

Zek

Smash Ace
I figured out what my problem with using the D-Air as an edgeguard was - I was using the c-stick, which is set to Smashes and so automatically causes you to fastfall when pressed down, which will drop Yoshi to his death if you do it below the stage. If you use the control stick and are very careful not to fastfall you can do it at normal fall speed, but it's pretty risky.

I still maintain that it's not a useful ground approach, because even if you do the full damage on somebody they'll still be able to punish you during your landing lag. Worse yet if they shield any of it. It's lose/lose. I guess it would be useful as a mid-air damage builder, if you can land it.

Top Bottom