• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IT'S super effective! A guide to using the PT as a counterpick

senorspoof

Smash Apprentice
THE BARE BASICS OF THE POKEMON TRAINER

So, you've decided that the versatility offered by 3 characters in one is too great to pass up, hm? You've made a wise choice. Please note that this guide however, is not final. It is in fact infantile in this form, and changes will be made over time, that you can be sure of. There are however, a set of rules essential to playing the pokemon trainer.

1. You cannot main one pokemon

Oh, sure, you can have a favorite pokemon, aperhaps one you're more skilled with, thats inevitable. Yet refusing to play the other two pokemon is to be quite frank, stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Each pokemon plays radically different, and a PT who won't adjust is a dead PT.

2. If the pokemons tired, switch out.

No matter how good your charizard is against olimars, a fatigued charizard is no longer a counterpick. Switch to the secondary in the case.

3. Mix it up

This, with the addition of move decay, is essential. We all know how awesome bullet seed is, but if you go for it every time, the opponent WILL catch on. However, he may not be quite ready for that rock smash.

4. Do not switch, unless its a safe switch

A good opponent will know exactly how long it takes for an incoming pokemon to appear. An even better opponent will be waiting with a smash attack. Instead, switch if you knock them off the stage, with time to spare, maybe passing up that edgeguard. Know when to go for the kill, and when not to.

CRITICAL HITS: THE NEED TO KNOW MOVES

Although all moves should be used, each pokemon has moves that make it so useful. Refusing to use these moves is suicidal.

Squirtle

U-Smash

Without a doubt, squirts best smash. Crowd control like a downsmash, good knockback, average speed, good power, amazing reach. It makes a veritable wall of water around the little guy, and is pretty easy to nail enemys with. If someones hounding you down, don't be afraid to throw this up, afford yourself some breathing space. Great on those fast fallers.

Use in conjunction with:

Water gun. Yeah, it's got a use! Enemys off the stage, nail em with this before they recover. They'll be forced to readjust their recovery, and with any luck, wont sweetspot. From there, throw up the U-Smash. It should pop the enemy up, leading to an easy F-air.

U-tilt: do a quick series of U-tilts for damage, then a U-smash to finish it off. Simple, and easy.

A low damage U-air- low to the ground, pop em up, throw this out. Golden.

Withdraw

Yes, I know, this move is usually useless. However, unless I'm mistaken, you can use this to duck under those pesky samus missles, slow acting nikita round, lasers, rob beams... add to te fact that it can block attacks, and it words pretty well as a stand alone.

B-air

This turtle floats man! use a series of these to create your own miniature wall of pain. Just make sure you can Waterfall back.

F-air/B]

This is your killer. Use these with the B-airs, and that floaty little guy will rule the sky. Adds a surprising amount of range.

Ivysaur

Bullet seed

You're gonna hear it again and again. This move will rack up an easy 60 damage at times. If an opponent is right next to you (I'm talking rest distance here), throw up the seed! instant shield pressure, and if they don't have a shield, free damage!

Fair

doesnt seem too flashy. but it's got awesome range, decent knockback, and not too shabby damage. Here's the kicker though. the hitbox is in front, AND below ivysaur! Use it like falcons stomp grab in melee. Run at the enemy, hop, and with appropriate spacing, throw out the fair, still moving forwards. You should land behind the enemy, making it impossible for them to shield grab. behind the enemy, maybe shield, maybe no? THROW UP THEM SEEDS!

F-tilt

Just fantastic for shield pressure. juts you forward, and has a nice multi-hit effect. DONT neglect this.

Dair+ Uair

Simple. U air for that delicious star KO. Use your dair for edgeguarding. Stops your momentum instantly, and sends the enemy off at a very undesirable trajectory.

U-smash

Seriously. Laggy, but LORD does that hurt.

Razor leaf

A \ projectile, its the only one you got. SPAM IT.

Charizard

Glide attack

Almost like a second nair. Comes out **** fast as well. Most opponents just blatantly don't expect it, especially at this point in the game.

U-smash

Great range, both horizontal, and vertical! 2 hits, so it has pretty good shield pressure as well. Great for use under platforms, as the lizards big enough to smack them from down there.

D-smash

Use it a lot in the manner that you would use squirtles U-smash, except for the range. Great horizontal reach, and it pops them up. Oftentimes, you can D-smash into U-smash. Too good lizard. Too good.

U-air

Use it like DK's SSBM Uair. You can chain a few of these together, especially with charizards multi-jumps. comes out fast, and with great range.

Side-B

I was gonna put F-smash here, but then I remembered this. HOLY CRAP. Unbelievable damage, and even more so for knockback. I personally like to short hop into this first. Sure, the lags a little high, but have you seen the knockback? man. Wrecks shields as well!

F-air

This, right here, is the poor mans shine. Thats right, I said it. Get the opponent off the stage. Use your first jump to reach them. THen, fair. The opponent gets the worst trajectory ever if they're nailed.... down, and horizontal. Easily return from there. Also, not a bad idea to presure shields with it, thanks to it's **** good range.

Matchups and counterpicks coming soon!

senorspoof

Smash Apprentice
MATCHUPS AND COUNTER-PICKS

BOWSER

Charizard

War of the heavys here. These guys, at times, can go blow for blow. Luckily, our dragon's got quite a bit more range than the koopa. Unuckily, Bowser can clear that distance awfully fast with his up-b. Charizards also awfully big, and the koopa king only needs to land a few hits. You're gonna have to use that fair here, both for spacing, and edgeguarding. Also, if Bowser whiffs on something like an F-smash, you better hop in with a rock smash. Yet if you whiff on something like that, bowser can just as easily capitalize..

Pros
-Range advantage
-Pretty easy to edgeguard with the fair
-Can capitalize on lag
-fairly easy to recover

Cons
-Big target
-Relative heavyness means bowser combos
-bowser can get past your guard

Ivysaur

This match is ALL about range. if you can use your whips and leaves right, you can keep that koopa at bay for quite a while. Your main kills are gonna be your U-air, U-smash, and D-air. U-air and U-smash are obvious, killing the koopa off the top, but the dair is a bit tricker. When koopas trying to recover, you just wanna knock him down low enough that he wont reach the edge with the whirling fortress. But if YOU are knocked off the stage... Yeesh. That's a problem. A simple edgehog should beat you, and Bowser is pretty **** good at edgeguarding as a whole. Just don't get greedy in this match. Oh, and what else? Spam that razor leaf!

Pros
-huge range advantage
-fantastic projectile spam
-Good edgeguarding game
-can juggle him
-HUGE target for bullet seed

Cons
-You're easy to edgehog
-Very light, so you're gonna get tossed around
-With easy powershielding tactics, Bowser can get past your spam

Squirtle

Easily the best matchup in this case. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Squirtles ridiculously maneuverable in the air, and much, much faster. You should be able to quite easily juggle bowser around, on and off stage. U-smash works even better than usual in here, since Bowsers so **** big. You're so **** tiny, like a ****** version of bowser. It's gonna be next to impossible for him to hit you. Yet if he does hit you, waterfall acts as a pretty sweet recovery, covering most of your body. Off the top kills can be a bit more problematic, so just be smart with your attacks.

Pros
-Huge target for your juggles
-you're a very small target for his attacks
-Can float around him
-awesome edgeguards
-Water gun works great against his precise recovery
-Can literally make a wall of pain

Cons
-EXTREMELY light
-will get killed off the top fairly easy with his U-air.
-Koopacides can even the odds

Best to use?

Squirtle, followed by Ivysaur, followed by Charizard.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I found yesterday that squirtle do very good against ganondorf.... i totally pwnd one guy online with almost no effort.

And his withdraw move in fact surprise a lot of people....also is fun to use it as a recover maneuver (but you must be very careful with this one)

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Question.
Isn't PT amazing just for his ability to switch pokemon and effectively counterpick anyone? If tournament formats make winner pick char first, then you can just pick PT. Are there any chars in the game that are counters to all three of the pokemon?

senorspoof

Smash Apprentice
Question.
Isn't PT amazing just for his ability to switch pokemon and effectively counterpick anyone? If tournament formats make winner pick char first, then you can just pick PT. Are there any chars in the game that are counters to all three of the pokemon?

In my experience? No. The pokemon all fight radically different, so you'd need a character who counts a floaty combo man, a heavy hitting charizard, and a ranged attacker like ivysaur.

infernovia

Smash Ace
I hear DDD is pretty effective. I have only been playing against casuals though so I couldn't give you a fair representation.

Anyway, I am surprised with the lack of flamethrower and tilts. Even more so, why not mention Charizard's incredible grab range? Are they not as effective as I am thinking they are?

Thank you so much for writing this. I definitely haven't used f-tilt with Ivysaur yet.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I find it incredibly difficult to fight against marth with any of the 3 pokemons. He seems to dominate them in the air with the fair....and is tough as hell to beat the dancing blade.

Personal experience tho.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
I like ivysaur against marth. The projectile spam and ftilt are awesome. And your fsmash has like the same range as marth's.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Needs more b-air under Ivysaur imo. It has the sickest range for an aerial move, and lets Ivysaur outrange characters like Marth with their swords.

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
Yes, retreating b-airs to Razor Leafs keep Marth's off of my Ivysaur.

I suggest retraing Flamethrower's on Marth's with Zard, as well as "surprise" d-tilts.

With, Squirtle though, I just have to anticipate attacks and spotdodge or sheild grab.

Darr06

Smash Cadet
i dont think anyone give charizard enough credit as far as speed goes. he flies across the field quicker than ivysaur or squirtle and his dtilt and ftilt are quick with great range. and except for the lag after his bair, its a decent move at least

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Needs more b-air under Ivysaur imo. It has the sickest range for an aerial move, and lets Ivysaur outrange characters like Marth with their swords.
True, i realized this yestarday when i was fighting a fellow smashboarder, we were using PT both, and he kept a good distance with his Ivy's bair. Ill try to implement this more against chars like marth and pit

Darth Ace

Smash Rookie
Hmm... online, this I must try.
Thanks for the post. I've been having trouble using Ivysaur in this game.
One major question though, how do you really guage stamina?

Top Bottom