• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's time to make our character better

RichBrown

Smash Master
I honestly feel like Olimar has loads of potential that we still haven't tapped in to.

I've realized that even though Olimar's moves all look alike and it looks like we are all doing the same ****, we all actually play Olimar very differently.

I was thinking about it, and I noticed that in almost every region there is at least 2 or more top level MK mains. And then it hit me: These guys share with each other their secrets and all their little nuances. They are very open with each other, and they have progressed their character extremely far.

So I think our best bet is to seek each other out at tournaments. I know that Olimar mains are scarce, and being spread out across the nation doesn't exactly help either, but they are still out there. There's an up and coming Oli in my area named Brian H, and he and I recently decided that it'd be a good idea to start playing more and really learn everything there is to know about our character.

So learn who the Olimars are in your area. When you're at tournaments, find each other and try to play a lot of friendlies. Have one of you go Marth/MK, the other go Olimar, and see what little things you can figure out. If you're using Marth/MK, watch to see what your fellow Olimar does and see what you can take from it.

Talk about the things you do, whether it be on AIM, in person while you're playing, where ever.

Our character has loads of potential

The only thing really keeping us down is MK and Marth imo (that's pretty much all I've lost to recently) and if we can collectively help each other, we can start consistently winning.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Good stuff rich. Olimar's metagame's been moving slowly and yeah, I've noticed each Olimar having a completely different style than others. Different players have different attacks that they love and use in different ways (fino and usmash, you and whistle, me and fair/dsmash). I think we need to explore more of Olimar's options that some of us are using while others aren't.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I love richs threads. lol

We should all be very open to suggestion and not jump on it and make someone look bad if someone ends up being incorrect. Since a lot of us r spread out we should wifi more and help each other out. Olimar needs our help.

Mith8

Smash Cadet
Im willing to throw in some stuff via wifi battles.

Most people live in US that are here, but if your central/north US you should not lag much with me. Im not the greatest, but I place 2nd or 1st in most local tourneys.

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm really the only notable Oli near me. There's KBM in NFL and GG in SFL, but I rarely if ever see them. I really wish that there was another Olimar for us to exchange information.

Zori

Smash Champion
Good thread rich, I'm in the same boat as everyone else, no plus near me

We should all play on wifi ;p

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
^ That is probably a good idea. Hiltdrew showed me some things through wifi last night! So I feel like I'm getting better. I wish I knew a lot more to give back info, though. x-xv I'll keep practicing and hopefully I'll come up with something suuuperb!

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I really want to wifi other olis, not oli dittos but we alter each time to see how diffrent the styles r and for advice.

Smedwicks

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Rich has a good idea. I think stuff like chats and wifi battles will be good to help Olimar grow into a better character And yeah, Olimar dittos won't really help, but we should do stuff like one match one person will play Olimar and the other person will choose another character, then swap on the next match, and people can record things about the Olimar's gameplay and post recordings to see how everyone plays their Olimar, and eventually get new discoveries of gameplay styles.

Personally, that's just my two cents, but I do believe it's a great idea to become a more united Olimar community.

The United States of Olimerica shall rise up as a Smash World Forums Power!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
As mentioned in the contact thread, I'm going to start hanging out in the oli chat more often, i suggest most do as well X:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
so we might as well all list our contact info. If there is a contact thread, where is it?

Edit: I've already started doing this. Getting other Oli mains to critique me. It really helps so that I know what I can do differently/better.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Oli is mostly ground based =__=

He kills from the ground (purple Uthrow, Usmash, Fsmash, Blue Back throw) Only Fair kills in the air. Stop going for spikes (unless its a shortopp off the edge that leads to a spike and u end up back on the edge, thats the safest way). Don't go in the air unless u know u can land hits bro (other whise gud luck getting sheildgrabbed when u land >__>)

Fino.

Smash Rookie
I'm really the only notable Oli near me. There's KBM in NFL and GG in SFL, but I rarely if ever see them. I really wish that there was another Olimar for us to exchange information.
Hai I'm fearless?
:( is he not good anymore? ;-;

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
~Yellows are great for spiking chars on hanging on the ledge the very sec after the Invince-frames has worn out, it'll shoot them straight down.

The 4 disadvantages that stand out to me are mk marth luigi & peachh.
Peach: really not as hard as ppl make it seem.
Luigi: Hard to defeat
Marth: Kind hard, but marth's approach is fairly obviously which makes this MU more eaiser than ppl make it seem.
MK: . . .

I honestly think that focusing more on improving mu's specifically luigi and mk will atleast strengthen oli's metagame a lil bit.

Noa.

Smash Master
We don't really have to worry about MK. I know the peach matchup like Jesus. Luigi is not a problematic matchup since they basically don't exist. The main problem is the marth matchup now.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah we still do have to worry about mk. Dabuz helped us take a big step in it but we've still got a bit to go. Luigi isn't as much of a problem because... well, who plays luigi?

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
My friend mains marth zss ike and samus so i use his exp to fight againnst zss and marth. When fighting against marth, i find Up-smash an excellent damage % racker. Sneaking in a u-smash after a SH f-air, a rising etc. becomes very useful and starts to make the marth more heisitant about doing it. Spamming side b will just lead to your doom. As fast as marth is by the time you throw your 2nd or 3rd pikmin bam, f-air to the face. Marth's speed will allow him to recover pretty quickly so chasing him off the stage is a terrible idea. Pivot grabs come in handy when dealing with marth's who spam f-air alot. Marth's side b is a pain in the butt and will keep you i the air, which is something you dont want so watch out for that. Be very aware of your spacing, F-smash is kind of useless since when marth comes towards you itll most likely be with f-air in mind. His d-tilt is annoying and he will try to keep you towards the edge of the stage. Avoid that because he will punish the crap out of you if your to close to the edge.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Yeah we still do have to worry about mk. Dabuz helped us take a big step in it but we've still got a bit to go. Luigi isn't as much of a problem because... well, who plays luigi?
There are two luigi mains in LA. I 2 stock one of them though.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Marth and MK, that's pretty much it. Stay alert when Snake or Wario comes around. Luigi or Peach... just go MK :p

thank heavens there are no luigis in my area, and only one peach who I can beat with MK

Noa.

Smash Master
Please, don't be stupid. Peach Olimar is obviously in peach's advantage. Every advantage is favorable for her, just not to the point where it's unwinnable.

Top Bottom