• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've grown tired of the "Melee is better, Brawl sucks, Melee vs Brawl" garbage.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You say the dreaded gamecube controller as if most people don't still use it, and you say Kirby was a chore to use as if he's not still a chore to use vs characters like Mk and Snake. Your words confuse me good sir.

john!

Smash Hero
I enjoy both games! But in different ways. I get super serious and competitive when playing Melee, but when I play Brawl it's just casuals and I have a good time without taking it too seriously. Although I'd say Melee is more fun overall, and I spend more time playing it, I have fun with both games and there is no conflict in my mind over whether I need to choose one or the other. The games aren't mutually exclusive guys!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You say the dreaded gamecube controller as if most people don't still use it, and you say Kirby was a chore to use as if he's not still a chore to use vs characters like Mk and Snake. Your words confuse me good sir.
Your comparing bottom tier Melee Kirby to high tier Brawl Kirby.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Most people are use to the GC Controller because of how many years the players played the controller since Melee. GC Controller doesn't really click for a fighting game, Classy Controller, (or Pro), plays better for fighting games than GC Controller. Using Kirby in a tournament in Melee would be an extreme risk with out a secondary that's at least cover near all his bad match up's, (I always scream with playing against Marth or Peach in Melee with Kirby), you pretty much know how his performance is. Kirby doesn't have a near unwinnable match up with Snake and Meta Knight, though it's not a good win.... why are we having this conversation? =3

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Most people are use to the GC Controller because of how many years the players played the controller since Melee. GC Controller doesn't really click for a fighting game, Classy Controller, (or Pro), plays better for fighting games than GC Controller.
GC controller works fine for a fighting game. It just depends on your personal tastes in controllers.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Your comparing bottom tier Melee Kirby to high tier Brawl Kirby.
I'm comparing a crappy character to a less crappy character who has some really ****ing boring match ups against top tiers, sure he's not as crappy but he hasn't exactly become what one would call fun.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In Brawl? Compared to characters like Snake and Diddy and MK? I sure as **** wouldn't call him good compared to them. He's not crap, but he's not amazing.
Compared to, yes he is worse.

He's amazing compared to a good majority of the cast, to be not crap but not amazing would ne C tier, mid tier, because that's average, not good but not bad.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Compared to, yes he is worse.

He's amazing compared to a good majority of the cast, to be not crap but not amazing would ne C tier, mid tier, because that's average, not good but not bad.
You forget that a good majority of the cast is garbage. Brawl is a game in which a few characters pretty much rock the **** off of the others. Kirby simply gets ***** less hard. I'm not quite why he'd be called good just because compared to the crappy characters he's good.

iGLOW

Smash Rookie
I love both Melee and Brawl. I think its a waste of time debating on brawl is better than melee or melee is better than brawl because of this and because of that and so on and so forth. They're both the same, just different mechanics and all that stuff.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I love both Melee and Brawl. I think its a waste of time debating on brawl is better than melee or melee is better than brawl because of this and because of that and so on and so forth. They're both the same, just different mechanics and all that stuff.
They're pretty ****ing different with the lack of hitstun, shield stun, pretty much any good offensive strategies, and other junk present in Brawl. They play out like completely different games, what is your definition of 'the same'.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well they have Nintendo characters, and the same basic mechanics at the surface level.

To most people (ie not competitive), Brawl is just a slightly slowed down version of Melee.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You forget that a good majority of the cast is garbage. Brawl is a game in which a few characters pretty much rock the **** off of the others. Kirby simply gets ***** less hard. I'm not quite why he'd be called good just because compared to the crappy characters he's good.
Since when did a 4-6 = ****?

It's pretty biased view when more often than not most top tiers only beat high and mid tiers to a 6-4 excluding some rare cases like DK vs DDD or Zero Suit vs R.O.B.

Kirby is good because he is high tier and viable.

S-C are fine characters just like in Melee where the Top-mid are fine, when you get to low tier is when you can call a character bad in comparison to the rest of the cast, even then low tier isn't too far off, bottom tier in smash starts to make people feel sad on the inside.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Melee's high tiers are way the hell more viable than Brawl's high tiers. And my point about Kirby is less that he sucks and more that his match ups are boring as hell.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Melee's high tiers are way the hell more viable than Brawl's high tiers.
Prove it.

And my point about Kirby is less that he sucks and more that his match ups are boring as hell.
His matches are boring?

Thats fine, even if I dislike Jiggs vs Jiggs or DDD vs DDD still they happen, don't like it, well kinds have to deal with it if someone plays them.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
GC controller works fine for a fighting game. It just depends on your personal tastes in controllers.
Ah I just remembered about Soul Calibur II being played well with the GC Controller. >.<

Sadly Capcom vs SNK controls didn't do so well with me with the GC, same with Tatsunoko vs Capcom. =/

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Peach, Captain Falcon, and Jiggs consistently place high, the best player right now mains Jigglypuff, Armada proved how ****ing amazing Peach can be at Genesis, I really should not have to be explaining this ****, it's common knowledge if you pay attention to the game.

Pretty much all of A tier in Brawl has some really gay match ups, and Kirby really gets shafted their. Snake, MK, IC's, Marth, G&W, these are all matches where he has absolutely nothing going in his favor, the only thing that makes him good is that he isn't ***** hard by his 6-4's, but they're still gay as hell.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I didn't read all the pages of this topic, but I see the OP's point. However, Melee is better than Brawl.
Sike, I won't get into this.

Anyways, I'm sure it's a fact that Melee was more suited for competitive play than Brawl, and considering a majority (if not all) people who are into Melee enough to talk with people about it on the internet would be participating in competitive gaming. So "Melee > Brawl" would be more prominent.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
you know, you guys are turning this into yet another melee vs brawl between falconv1.0 and red ryu.

for kirby in brawl, he is a good character, given how the gameplay is and how he performs. yeah, obviously, is not a top tier/MK but still handles his match-ups well.

i seriously dont get how jiggs in melee is NOT a top tier, shes just as gay as MK, maybe even worse.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
you know, you guys are turning this into yet another melee vs brawl between falconv1.0 and red ryu.

for kirby in brawl, he is a good character, given how the gameplay is and how he performs. yeah, obviously, is not a top tier/MK but still handles his match-ups well.

i seriously dont get how jiggs in melee is NOT a top tier, shes just as gay as MK, maybe even worse.
I'm not trying to argue which game is better, I'm stating pretty much certain fact that the high tier of Melee was a lot more viable than Brawl's High tier.

john!

Smash Hero
^ Probably true, but Brawl is still young compared to Melee. In the early years of Melee the lower tiers were more viable. Now their limitations are exploited by all the top tiers. As Brawl matures, the top tier will become more defined and dominant. So it's probably gonna get worse.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Peach, Captain Falcon, and Jiggs consistently place high, the best player right now mains Jigglypuff, Armada proved how ****ing amazing Peach can be at Genesis, I really should not have to be explaining this ****, it's common knowledge if you pay attention to the game.
Armada pretty much made me want to play Melee again after watching his Peach play. She's good to use when I have trouble using Roy.

Pretty much all of A tier in Brawl has some really gay match ups, and Kirby really gets shafted their. Snake, MK, IC's, Marth, G&W, these are all matches where he has absolutely nothing going in his favor, the only thing that makes him good is that he isn't ***** hard by his 6-4's, but they're still gay as hell.
I failing to see how a 4-6 is a gay match-up.

Even then I don't see how this is that different from Melee. While in Brawl everyone has a bad match-up, outside of Metaknight, most of the ones at the upper portion of the tier list rarely go further than a 4-6.

Heck Lucario is currently a B tier and he doesn;t have anything worse than a 4-6, granted he doesn't **** anyone outside of Falcon, Ganon, and Yoshi worse than a 6-4.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
6-4 in Brawl is gay because Brawl is a much slower campier game, and it pretty much means that character out ranges him and has better priority than him. In Melee, the amount of options available often allow you to still punish your opponent and do well in a 6-4 match up, Brawl does not allow this, making Kirby's match ups lame as ****.

sirkibble2

Smash Rookie
Mm... I beg differ about Kirby's matchups being crap. Granted, Kirby isn't the most creative character but he is still extremely formidable. His back air is a wall, his dtilt sets up for smashes and grabs nicely; his dair has a nice push at the end of it creating good spacing for other attacks--he's not that bad overall.

I will say the margin between the S tiers and the A tiers are much further apart in Brawl than Melee but it's definitely not unbeatable or crap matchups. Hard? Absolutely. Crap? Not so much.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Mm... I beg differ about Kirby's matchups being crap. Granted, Kirby isn't the most creative character but he is still extremely formidable. His back air is a wall, his dtilt sets up for smashes and grabs nicely; his dair has a nice push at the end of it creating good spacing for other attacks--he's not that bad overall.

I will say the margin between the S tiers and the A tiers are much further apart in Brawl than Melee but it's definitely not unbeatable or crap matchups. Hard? Absolutely. Crap? Not so much.
Did you completely miss my point there or something? They're definitely winnable, I'm saying they're boring as hell. I'm not ignorant to him, he's been the only main I ever really felt comfortable with.

sirkibble2

Smash Rookie
Did you completely miss my point there or something? They're definitely winnable, I'm saying they're boring as hell. I'm not ignorant to him, he's been the only main I ever really felt comfortable with.
I guess you missed the part where I mentioned Kirby's lack of creative style...

I don't find Kirby a boring character at all. If you're looking for flashiness with easy wins, then of course you'll find anything lower than S tier boring.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
6-4 in Brawl is gay because Brawl is a much slower campier game, and it pretty much means that character out ranges him and has better priority than him. In Melee, the amount of options available often allow you to still punish your opponent and do well in a 6-4 match up, Brawl does not allow this, making Kirby's match ups lame as ****.
So what gives a character an advantage is different from one game compared to another and what needs to be done to overcome them is different, your point?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I've said it like twice, he's a chore to play in Brawl, that's what I've been arguing. Oh, that and last time I checked, Marth and IC's are like ****ing impossible for him.

Also, Melee high tiers had more options against the top tiers and you don't feel left out from the crowd using top tiers, in brawl, if you're using a top tier you feel like you're fighting harder than the other guy to win. This should be common ****ing knowledge, I shouldn't have to 'prove it' to you.

tubes

Smash Ace
The OP reminds me of a tale I once heard. Basically, the cloud and the Sun see this dude walking by with a coat on and the Cloud is all like "$20 bucks says I can get that guy's coat off better than you can" and the Sun is all like "k". So the Cloud blows and blows and blows as hard as he can, but the harder he blows, the harder the guy held onto his coat. Then the sun just shined moderately bright and the guy took off the coat, as he no longer needed it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've said it like twice, he's a chore to play in Brawl, that's what I've been arguing. Oh, that and last time I checked, Marth and IC's are like ****ing impossible for him.
Chu dat vs MikeHAZE proved it wasn't a train wreck like people thought it was for Kirby.

Chu dat might have played Lain this weekend but I need to check on that.

Also, Melee high tiers had more options against the top tiers and you don't feel left out from the crowd using top tiers, in brawl, if you're using a top tier you feel like you're fighting harder than the other guy to win. This should be common ****ing knowledge, I shouldn't have to 'prove it' to you.
More options =/= better. Otherwise Sonic would be better in Brawl.

Yes they have more options, but guess what, so do the top tiers, except they have more and better options more often than not.

Playing a low tiered character means you have to work harder, it's no different in either game. Playing Sheik in Melee is easier than playing Link, Just like playing Marth is easier than playing Ike, unless you consider outliers are just gifted with their mains in either game but thats a different story. This is nothing new and obvious to those who know about the game.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You are missing my point by a ****ing mile. Melee top tiers do not have the same gap that Brawl top tiers have, and can actually heavily punish the top tiers, something Brawl high tiers can't do for **** in most cases, because the game is pretty much just option select where you trade hits.

Nessgod

Smash Cadet
Brawl has a chance of getting everything downloadable, unlike melee, but im not saying melee is bad, Brawl's events are horrible, but melee's are great. They cancel eachother out on a few things. Like in Brawl, you can battle the bosses, in melee you have to play through the whole thing to get to the boss, but Giga Bowser was good, on brawl he's completly screwed up. So yea, they both have some good points and bad points. It's not for us to decide on which is better, since we do not know the effort they had to go through to make the game. SSB - 1999, SSBM - 2001, SSBB - 2008.

Top Bottom