• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you haven't lived until you've spiked ness with dair and then accidentally bullet seeded the head of their PKT for the kill

<3 timotee

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I wonder why people call something situational. Every move in the game is situational.

Dair has a situation where it is useful. The fact that we can't SH Dair all over the place shouldn't make it a bad move.

Every time somebody simply says a move is situational, a little part of me dies.

Some moves are more situational than others. There are more situations in which GaWs Bair or MKs Nado is a good option than situations where Ganon's Murder Punch is a good option.
So that makes Ganons B very situational and GaWs Bair and MKs Nado less situational. :)

T-block

B2B TST
there's a difference between situational moves where there are better options even in those situations, like squirtle's d-tilt, and situational moves where it really is the best option, like ivysaur's d-air.

i can't think of a better move to use against a falco that's recovering low, for example.

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
there's a difference between situational moves where there are better options even in those situations, like squirtle's d-tilt, and situational moves where it really is the best option, like ivysaur's d-air.

i can't think of a better move to use against a falco that's recovering low, for example.
Aren't you confusing situational with outclassed?

Squirtle's Dtilt is not really super situational IMO it's just outclassed by his Ftilt.

T-block

B2B TST
That's the thing...words like that are so vague they don't even really mean anything. You toss out the word "situational" in the negative sense - to say that a move isn't that useful. So, to follow my example, I'd like to hear what you think would be a better move against a Falco that's using up-b from below to grab the edge.

You can say d-air is "situational", but all that should be taken from that is that there are times when d-air is a good move.. and the fact that it is not only a good move, but the best move to use in those situations means it adds to Ivysaur's potential, so it should not be dismissed as "junk".

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i hate when i use dair and hit with it but it's the ****ty spike with no hitstun instead of the one that hits the opponent away like i wanted

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah it kind of pisses me off when i spike them onstage and get punished for it

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Bleeh D-air on stage always does this to me and now Ive just been trying to land D-air spikes off after tether cancelling offstage.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Tether To Dair ( Like at the full jump height when you tether straight up)

too good.

ledge hop dair is funny i kept doing it on accident during the tourney i went to, and i have no idea why but it always landed.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I think i may have found a true setup for usmash.
Need to test this ALOT more, but i will divulge what i can now. If you guys wanna test and give soem feedback, we'll know what we've got.

We all know that Ivy's nair has some very special properties.
-the nose has insane priority, cancelling out many projectiles and attacks
-it soft spikes at the back
-it true combos into ftilt
-its amazing altogether

Now, i've found that every now and then when you nair a grounded opponent, they will trip mid-attack, but get hit by the rest of nair, knocking them out of the trip status. N'aww. I hear you saying "Having them trip guaranteed would be fantastic for ivy's mistake & punishment-heavy moveset. " Not much we can do about that, tough luck, cry cry.

BUT.

If an opponent is above you on a platform and you sh nair, you can fastfall the rest of the nair, and add a follow up. Now i'm not 100% sure of the frame advantage we have, but an usmash seems like the smartest option. If by some circumstance they get up before usmash's hitbox comes out, they can either:
-roll
-get up normally
-spotdodge
-shield (unless they PS, usmash will probably push them away, and possibly knock them off the platform, leading into a free follow up.)

Like i said, this needs more testing. But the trip is something we'll need to learn. The second hit of Squirtle's jab can trip, and i think we also need to explore possible follow ups rather than just grabbing.
HYPEHYPEHYPEUSMASHSETUP.

T-block

B2B TST
reflex made a thread on ivy's n-air trip a while ago. i really can't see the u-smash coming out fast enough to get them before they can recover from the trip though... it's probably more reliable to predict the roll? i know i have a tendency to roll away whenever i get hit by a tripping move.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Still, options for a tech chase are rare. After a trip we've got a shot at landing something if we predict right. It's something. If Dedede can land an Fsmash, Ivy will have a setup to Usmash. >=D

What about knocking them out of shield off a platform? Aerial a shield, they get shield pressured off the platform, hyphen smash, boom -1 stock . (Y)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
reflex made a thread on ivy's n-air trip a while ago. i really can't see the u-smash coming out fast enough to get them before they can recover from the trip though... it's probably more reliable to predict the roll? i know i have a tendency to roll away whenever i get hit by a tripping move.
I believe it was Retro that did it.

Either way, you would get an easy U-Air from a read, I think.

EDIT: If someone makes a diagram for the initial Bullet Seed hitbox (in the air and on the ground), I'll love you forever, and I think that would help Ivysaur theorycrafting immensely.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i can do the grounded and aerial ones when i get off work, itll take me longer to do the hitbox under ivy for the aerial version

Miles.

Smash Champion
work.

do work.

where do you work?

Also I want to know if there is a differnece betweeen the gournded and aerial versions of BS.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Wow, this topic has seen a lot of activity today, hasn't it? Ironically, the threads for the two GOOD Trainer monsters sit relatively untouched...

Vermy

Smash Champion
That kind of negative chit-chat is what holds ivy back from being bett.. awes.. amaz..

....less sh*t.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Does Nair combo into Uair?
Upair can be a follow-up if you nair high enough in the air and read the enemy's DI right. To my knowledge, though, this isn't a true combo.

Vermy

Smash Champion
No. Nair>nair/bulletseed/ftilt/bair work.
If you're after a reliable way to land up air for damage, dthrow at early % (or dash attack at mid %) and punish their dodge. Also drop through a platform and uair = ****. Its probably my most reliable kill setup.

Fact: Uair is faster, more powerful and more disjointed than Fair.

I saw in the Zard Tactics thread that you've picked up PT. Welcome to PT boards. =)

Jupz

Smash Master
Ok thanks :) Btw just so you know I meant you were like fullhopping an Nair, you were going straight from Nair->Uair. Like no landing in between :p

And thanks for the welcome :)

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
What The #$%^%$#%^##^%@#%$%$#$%#### Is Typhdashing??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Top Bottom