• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

jab cancels

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
wolf has a potent and useful jab cancel in my opinion. it can lead into many things.
here is a list of useful of possibilities for jab cancels that wolf can use:
Jab>grab>throw
Jab>jab>grab
jab>reflector>dsmash (if the opponent shields the reflector the dsmash hits more often)
jab>jab>reflector
jab>roll>jab>roll(continuous sequence till opponent figures out what ur doin)
jab>ftilt (very useful)
jab>jab>ftilt
jab>dtilt (not expected, but good because dtilt has tripping properties so sometimes more can be done after dtilt)
jab>jab>dtilt
jab>fsmash (not very effective.situational at best)
jab>dsmash (works sometimes for finishing)
jab>usmash (never tried and cant see someone getting hit by this.to much lag afterwards)
jab>grab>pummel to grab release>aaa

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Here are my two cents.

Jab > grab is very good.
Jabx2 > grab isn't as good, because the second jab creates more distance between you and your opponent, but it's still usable.
Jabs > shine is risky and easily punished by a good opponent. Could work if you expect your opponent to let go of their shield. Shine is for counters/combo breaking though, you have better options from a jab cancel such as jab grab IMO.
Jab > roll sounds interesting, but once they figure it out they'll punish you, and you would have been better off just going with the guaranteed combo in terms of damage (unless your opponent isn't too bright)
Jabs > ftilt isn't something I personally like too much, but it's certainly usable. I'm just paranoid about using ftilt on anyone that knows to shieldgrab me halfway through the attack.
Jabs > dtilt is good. The trip chance is helpful and increases near the tip of wolf's foot. Grab/ftilt/fsmash/boost smash are good followups depending on distance.
Jabs > fsmash is lol. It does have its situational uses depending on your opponent's playstyle though.
Jab > dsmash is great, any other option you can use for a kill is much appreciated. If they shield, the dsmash pushes them back a bit so you're slightly harder to punish.
Jab > usmash, I have no idea if this even connects, but it's a bit slow. Save usmash for punishing, mostly.

Nothing is guaranteed from a grab release (or a dthrow :() but jab is your quickest option so go with jab, and then cancel it into a grab if your opponent is shielding it or follow through if they don't. You're usually better off using a throw though.

:059:

:034:

Smash Hero
Jab > Grab and jab > jab > dtilt are some of my favorites, but I sometime use Jab > Fair.. Though not that often since I usually forget.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Wolf's jab cancel is crap.
It could be worse. It could be like Ganondorf's jab cancel. >_> But I'd agree, it's no Ike Jab Cancel.

Is there any practical reason to jab cancel with Wolf besides landing the Dsmash or a Grab? I mean, the other things are possible, but most of them appear to be too slow to be really usable.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It's far from crap, but IMO you're generally better off following up the combo. Some people get ***** by mixups though, which is where some of this random stuff could come in handy. Dsmash for the kill, grab if they're shielding, something else if you want to look cool, but otherwise just do the jab combo.

:059:

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It's a fast punisher, I notice that sometimes, I get hits on other people simply because I chose a move that outsped them. Jab is the fastest move Wolf has, so yeah. Plus it refreshes 3 moves. ^_^ And puts them in a disadvantaged position.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
It could be worse. It could be like Ganondorf's jab cancel. >_> But I'd agree, it's no Ike Jab Cancel.

Is there any practical reason to jab cancel with Wolf besides landing the Dsmash or a Grab? I mean, the other things are possible, but most of them appear to be too slow to be really usable.
There's Jab D-tilt. D-tilt's not everyone's favorite move, but the lucky trip can be too good to pass up at times. Besides, D-tilt is a 4-frame move ^.^

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
i went and tried the jab>usmash. it sometimes connects the first hit but the startup is so slow it is easily shielded.i doubt anyone could fall for this.also another useful jab cancel i think is:
jab>fair

Top Bottom