• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jahay, the Newbie Lucario In-Training!

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
(I love Disgaea, and I'm going to do my little image thing to express my emotion rather than the smileys. No real anger is shown however >_> Laharl and the prinnies are uber cool)

*a deku nut falls and blinds everyone! XavantTheEnigma, otherwise tagged as Jahay appears before everyone!*

:
Behold! Another critique thread for MY Lucario in training! I am not good, and I come to you to seek advice and pointers!

:
Unfortunately, I do not... have any recording contraption to use so you all can see my youngin performance. Perhaps replay data can be taken and sent to friend codes? I'm in love with the Lucario character, though it kind of bums me out to see it get killed so often!

Snake and Jigglypuff at the moment is two of my biggest problems, and they are both played by really good players! (In my opinion) Wi-Fi is also "lkasdjga'sg"!

:
I don't want to talk too much about Snake, but Jigglypuff has been juggling me like crazy pounding me to my sides to her hearts content. Jigglypuff's roll has also been killing me, and I fear I might be trapped by one of them so called "brick walls". He really put alot of fear into me when it comes to using that move! Though I try to jump behind Jigglypuff, because it's really only a one-direction attack until it's curved or so then I'd try to shield it.

I'm very used to using reactive style all my life, and I find it difficult to try and integrate this as a thinking game. Conflict in the mind, I'm psycho! BEHOLD I'M RABID. I'm sure that would help ALOT. I'm also trying to get this spacing game down, though I guess I'm not doing it right. This game is alot more fast paced than other games I've played. Kind of saddening?

If you guys could please be so kind and help improve this Lucario... like like... as if it was your own child!! I would be happy if I could add someone to the friend code thing, send replay data if it's possibe. (I don't know how replay data works, but I'll figure it out somehow) Thanks.

*goes to steal Etna faces now*

HIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLX3RCW4ck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-fcLN9GXzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOPy0uf4wPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9wWVfLhEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0eZUv88pU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBkwu8LCqTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BrcRI-RN6M

Sorry about the low quality, also, I just slapped together songs. I don't think they're fitting. I just didn't want to hear my clicking and arghs.

Timbers

check me out
It's really hard to help you improve when we have no video, sorry =\

The most effective way to beat Snake is just camp him. His ftilt and utilt are godtier and therefore it's nigh impossible to actually approach him unless he's midair. Jigglypuff I don't have a lot of experience with the matchup. I'd imagine angled-ftilts would harass her though.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff has pretty good aerial control, slight DI means a lot it seems or I must be missing something!
Hmm.. Directional Influence... *ponders* I should work on that too, which reminds me. Jigglypuff usually pounds me from the right, and then from the left keeping me in the air. Perhaps I need to DI out of that? I don't quite know where to point the stick.

I was hoping that I'd use replay data as replacement for my lack of a video camera.
I know I need aerial work. I like your signature btw :D

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
Angled Ftilts are indeed your friends.

Jigglypuffs tend to be kinda predictable on their approach (They are going to approach you.), they like their air game, so you can usually double team it, or if you're good at shield grabbing you can shield the likely fair/pound they'll do. Becareful, if you're off timing, they'll weave through your shield and you'll miss the grab entirely.

When Jigglypuff dashes, be ready for either a boost smash (long range sliding up smash), or a grab or dash attack (at mid range).

Rollout's best avoided but using Lucario's floaty jumps once you see it coming. Stages with platforms help too. Jigglypuff doesn't like big aura spheres, and Jigglypuff also has issues KOing without roll out.

Just a few tips.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
Shieldgrabbing is huge boon in anyones arsenal it seems, I need to work on that too. Though usually, I'm never in range.

Hope I used that term correctly.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Jpuf has no disjointed hitboxes (upB [sing] doesn't count, we outrange it every time) so just make sure that you always have a disjointed hitbox out between you and Jpuf.

Snake is an annoying (self-censored). Just stay calm and defensive during the match. Approach slowly. I personally like to throw grenades back at him and when he starts priming them (holding them until they're about to explode then throw), I jump or shield. Throw a few spheres and when he shoots a missile at you, jab it. It'll fly straight through you, from there rush him (assuming you're close enough to hit before he's able to put the launcher away. Snake players seem to be players of habit; they'll find something that works and stick with it, just try your best to counter it.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
:
I have some embarassing replays. Both me and my little brother screwed up many of times, I keep falling for Ike's upsmash. After getting killed with it how many times... =_=

I think it's send able.. but what is this points thing to send?

tedward2000

Smash Champion
What are you trying to send?

Snake players are very habitual. They will do the same thing over and over again if it works.
It's your job as a Lucario player to break that cycle. Find a nitch, and stick with it. You really have to fight fire with fire on with snake. If he's using grenades, you need to find a way to make then useless.
A flat stage is Snake haven. If the snake can set up two points of explosion, he can control you and your placement.
Stoping him from planting C-4 won't be possible, but you can slow him from planting mines. He might be a fricken tank with a arsenal to sink a small island, but you got Aura. So its equal. Being the heaviest character in the game, you get to chain grab him for about 70%, a great trade off really. But don't expect to get it each time. Once is lucky.
Secondly, your range, quickness and chains are going to be your biggest asset. The aura boost will do some help, but will get you killed quicker then anything.
So don't stand in one place, even if its for charging AS, you can do that in the air.
-t2

Timbers

check me out
Snake's third heaviest character.

But that's pretty irrelevant. You can realistically get a forcepalm chain on Snake until 50%, provided you're rather low in your percents. You can follow the last forcepalm with a fair->dair or fair->nair, racking up a fair amount of damage (65%?) but never become predictable with this. You have to be rather close to Snake to actually achieve this, and grounded. His ground game..really, craps all over you. Don't make a habit of trying to pull the chain off. I'm sure there's different ways to play Snake, but I just camp the hell out of him. His utilt and ftilt are bizarre, and they ruin your approach so badly. He's a big, laggy character. Make him approach you. He has no aerial approach, so he's forced to either walk and powershield the auraspheres or he's going to try shorthopping towards you. If he does try to approach through the air, he just made a big mistake. Go after him. You dominate him midair.

Utilts are great against him. The only way he can get out is by wasting his midair jump, leaving him vulnerable in the air. I'd elaborate what else you can do to him thanks to wasting that jump, but I'm rather tired and can't really explain until later. Hopefully someone can give input on this (Nessbounder =3)

His favorite kill move is utilt. So obviously stay out of that range at all times (easier said than done I know, it's a beast)

He's a lot easier match than people make him out to be. Lucario got lucky to be one of the few characters who do rather well against him I think. We have a great chaingrab+followup on him, a great projectile, great airgame, and safe killmoves if you play smart. You can easily live to 150% in this match. His killmoves are greatly hindered by Lucario. Just avoid c4's and utilts and you should do pretty darn well.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
SUBMIT YOUR ATTENTION TO ME!! I request of it... please?
I wanted to ask if anybody would like to Wi-Fi matches and help make improvements that way. I have barely any friends, I'd like to fatten up the list as well :D

I usually never pick anybody other than Lucario though. :D

*gets shot for double posting*

Timbers

check me out
SUBMIT YOUR ATTENTION TO ME!! I request of it... please?
I wanted to ask if anybody would like to Wi-Fi matches and help make improvements that way. I have barely any friends, I'd like to fatten up the list as well :D

I usually never pick anybody other than Lucario though. :D

*gets shot for double posting*
I'll add you tomorrow. I honestly dislike playing Lucarios on wifi as so many of them abuse his roll, and no matter how predictable the yare with it, it's very hard to punish when you're suffereing from 15-30 frame input lag. You're in WA though so we might have a smooth connection.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes. I'm trying to make more use of spot dodge, though it's very habitual to roll. I apologize in advance if I excessively roll trying to stay alive! AND YES, THE LAG IS TERRIBLE AS WELL. I NEED INSTANT RESULTS! CURSES!

Is habitual a word? If not, I just made it a word!

I have OK connections with people in Illinois, I mean there was times where there was 30 second lagging.
I turn off all my computers when I'm on Wi-Fi to stop the bandwidth being sent to those comput0rz

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I'm usually only online in wi-fi if I've already arranged a match with someone. You can PM me any time I'm online on the forums and I'll probably be up for it, though.

Heck, we could go right now if you want.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a television in my room, or some kind of gamebridge to play it on my PC Monitor.
There family TV is taken, so I can't do it now :D

Do you have MSN, Yahoo or the accursed AIM?
Xfire!?!!

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
D-D-DOUBLE POST!
I have installed drivers from an old webcam.
SO BRACE YOURSELF FOR TERRIBLE QUALITY. IT MAKES YOUR EYES BLEED DOES IT NOT?

I'll add songs, just because. I'm not a big fan of Enter Shikari, I bought a shirt that said Enter Shikari, but I only got it cause it reminds me of Lucario's aura... NEVERMIND THAT.

Annoying songs and a newbie Lucario. >: D
Expect updates as I spam the hell out of Col. Stauff for wifi matches of which I shall record!

Xaile

Smash Cadet
Hey, someone else from Washington. :) I should take the opportunity to WiFi at you; since you're close, there should be little lag (in theory).

But...

I'm at work right now, so I obviously can't do WiFi at this moment. :(

Maybe later today or sometime else in the near future?

Trapt497

Smash Ace
^^Doesn't work, trust me. Brawl online still sucks. I have played my friend who lives 15 minutes away and the lag was almost the same.....

But thats not what this thread is about.

Jahay, I'm glad you chose Lucario. He is an awesome character and is fun to get better with. However nothing really comes to mind that can help you against these two specific characters.

My suggestion is to stick around the Lucario boards. A lot our threads have lots of information that can help anybody get better with Lucario. These are just a couple of those threads:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158165
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168893

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Keep in mind when you don't just connect from your Wii to your friend's Wii, they connect to one of Nintendo's servers first, then to each other.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Nintendo of America located near the Digipen Campus in Redmond?
It's not that far. Though amazingly, the best Wi-fi connection I've EVER had was with Nuro.

o_o

People in Washington aren't bad, nor good either.
I'll stick around the Lucario boards. FOR GREAT JUSTICE

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Nintendo of America HQ may not be where they're servers are, they may be going through a outsourced company for that. But yeah, it would make sense for Nintendo of America to be beside a university that they own o.O

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
D-D-DOUBLE POST!
I have installed drivers from an old webcam.
SO BRACE YOURSELF FOR TERRIBLE QUALITY. IT MAKES YOUR EYES BLEED DOES IT NOT?

I'll add songs, just because. I'm not a big fan of Enter Shikari, I bought a shirt that said Enter Shikari, but I only got it cause it reminds me of Lucario's aura... NEVERMIND THAT.

Annoying songs and a newbie Lucario. >: D
Expect updates as I spam the hell out of Col. Stauff for wifi matches of which I shall record!
I'm going to be famous. Yeehaw.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
Check the front page, I have uploaded low quality footage of me getting my butt kicked!
man that david was so good, he is so pro. :chuckle:

naw i just screwed up too much , tho i'll get u next time.

u did pretty good tho your getting better.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
You!!! HOW DARE YOU STEP ON THESE BOARDS!
MY EVIL ZOMBIE LUCARIO MINIONS! ATTACK!

*points a finger and gets eaten by his own zombie lucarios*

=_=''

Good game dewd!
WE MUST SETTLE THIS OFFLINE >: O!

EDIT:

ಠ_ಠ @ mr_kennedy44
*hugs anyway*

strike42

Smash Journeyman
really, u didn't think that he would be on smash boards. oh well funny coindience anyways. so where u gonna give advive to XavantTheEnigma or just poped in here b/c u saw me name?

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you getting hit by 'nades and the mortar slide often. 'Nades can be a problem when trying to camp Lucario so when you here him pull one you should stop and prepare to throw it back.

You can grab Snake out of the slide but it can be hard to time correctly. Try FP to attempt to grab him out of it or at least try to knock him out of it. (I'm unsure of if the FP flame can knock him out of it though.) If grabbing him doesn't work try to powershield it.

Snake sucks in the air so that is the best way to fight him. Comboing Snake in the air is easy to do with Lucario so you should be taking advantage of that.

I watched the first video so I don't know if you did this in later ones. Use the FPCG. You can CG Snake up to 90% if done correctly. Watch out for a 'nade to be pulled out wjile doing this though. A 'nade really messes up the CG.

Good luck to both of you. =]

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Good job Mr. Kennedy44, beating on members on Smashboards.
No wonder the new user rate has been going down. -_-'
(i don't know if it is or not, im just making a joke here, calm down)
-t2

Top Bottom