• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Style Diddy - Gano places 2nd at Ketubato

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jJi6C4gTt8A

What do the honourable Diddy Forums think?

Definitely different, but with the way the Japanese metagame seems to be progressing it ought to be. I noticed a lack of glide tossing for one.

Currently, Diddy is ranked 5th in the Japanese Tier list, which is updated very regularly.

Discussion here was beginning to slow so I thought I'd bring up a recent talking point:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176676

Many smashers are drawing the conclusion that whilst Japanese style Brawl is fast, American style is much more 'controlled' (Campy) and in a sense, superior to Japan's seemingly undefensive 'Let's go combos' method.

I agree with this standpoint I think, but maybe looking at other kinds of play can be healthy towards Diddy's metagame development?

Maybe :)

psike

Smash Apprentice
That's how I play diddy, and I'm American : ) I use the cartwheel a bit more, and I definitely love the bananas. There was a lack of using his bair though, and I really like that move. I think diddy really does have a lot of potential.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
He plays smart, like brawl IMO has to be played to be the best. Like chess. Attack when you can, defend when you know you have to

The pikachu is pretty nice too.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
lol i find it the other way
i believe the japanese meta game is like 6 months past the american one
and no not because it looks faster.
japanese diddies are much more contained than the american banana spamming diddies
hmm watched the vid and i dont think this diddy represents the typical diddy playstyle

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I'd like to think I'm a blend of the typical japan playstyle and american playstyle. I'm a lot more aggressive than others but I think that's good. I think that's why people may not seem to think Brawl is that competative, but we need to stop camping and be aggressive, its more fun that way.

And also, no, Gano does not play like a typical japanese Diddy player

Shears

Smash Master
i fool around with diddy and im not too good with him. out of all the characters i use hes my worst, but hes fun. so im asking this question out of my diddy kong ignorance to improve my game. now i could be wrong but it seems as if the kid in the video is holding a banana and attacking at the same time. am i mistaken or can this be down with diddy kong, and if so how?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Most matches in America don't last 6:25 seconds, and we're more campy?
You know.
You have a really good point.

I get the feeling that maybe American style isn't so different. The other match in the set lasts roughly the same amount of time. Admittedly, I've begun to change my style alot as well. My brother's Pit play was beginning to drive me insane (He plays like a japanese player, aggressive to the max), so I tried using ALOT of empty short hops and it actually seemed to work. Short hopping grants you the ability to DI away from their attempted attacks, and his fair has enough reach to punish.

Even if you're out of range, you can either continue to space yourself, or punish a laggy attack.

Hmm.

@Shears: Yes. Try checking this thread out.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176942

It should have the info you need.
: )

IDK

Smash Lord
Most matches in America don't last 6:25 seconds, and we're more campy?
both players being more aggressive, although it does not sound logical, can actually lead to longer games if you think about it compared to us. of course not always, but in many cases camping will result in only one player being damaged while aggressiveness can lead to either both players beating the crap out of each other, resulting in more stocks taken off, which means longer games. sorry that was... badly worded... but it was just sort of hard to put to words.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
both players being more aggressive, although it does not sound logical, can actually lead to longer games if you think about it compared to us. of course not always, but in many cases camping will result in only one player being damaged while aggressiveness can lead to either both players beating the crap out of each other, resulting in more stocks taken off, which means longer games. sorry that was... badly worded... but it was just sort of hard to put to words.

Actually, I think this takes long because neither seems to edgeguard. Diddy just sets up his bananas while pikachu is offstage and doesn't try to spike, fair, or bair him. There is no edgeguarding at all in this match.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
Actually, I think this takes long because neither seems to edgeguard. Diddy just sets up his bananas while pikachu is offstage and doesn't try to spike, fair, or bair him. There is no edgeguarding at all in this match.
Thnx for pointing that I just realized that they spent most of their time trading damage each other than thinking stratigic and finding ways to exploit ways to kill each other. But this may not be a bad think being a agresive can rack up damage faster insted of camping and spamming.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Before Kamekasu unleashed those Gano videos on us, I distinctly remember Japanese Diddy play to be very relaxed, one banana at a time.

Now Gano on the other hand, he plays like a bat out of hell.

davemg

Smash Rookie
I think that the diddy player was very skilled however i think the reason that the match took so long was because of he didn't use his killing moves when needed. In the video the pikachu was well over 120% and the diddy focuses only on throwing bananas when all he had to do was setup for a quick dsmash or fsmash. I also think that the match took awhile because as stated above none of the players played off the stage to gimp, spike or KO with an aerial.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
heh true =] I'm getting really really good with Diddy. I need to play a wider variety of characters though. I practice mostly on a Ness.

Diddy2k8

Smash Cadet
That diddy did nothing but carthwhell and grab, Where were bairs? down a? Also why did he not try to setup a banana for a kill move? Pika was over 180% and all he kept doing was throw bananas. Do japanese players not try to gimp or spike? There were no combos at all. Just cartwheel pick up a banana throw it pull out another banana repeat.

That pikachu was good though. 4.02-4.06 was nothing short of briiliant

Also im assuming japanese playstyle is to shorthop and fastfall alot to prevent tripping?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well all I can say is...if the match takes almost 7 minutes both players have to be spamming, I really hope this doesn't become the style all over or I'd just quit brawl.

But wow, Falco's glide toss is enormous. That just put wavedashing to shame.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
That was a awesome match. Almost felt like melee with Fox vs Falco days.. That Diddy really knows how to ultize the bananas and catching them. He almost thinks like monkey! :O Teh Asians know how to play a quickpace. I liked how Pikachu used it's upb to get to its place quicker and coming up with a downb to ko Diddy.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
In the Diddy vs. Pikachu video...

How the hell does Diddy pick up bananas from the air without air dodge or aerial frames? Example: 0:10, 0:30, 0:33, 0:36, 0:56, 1:43

At 0:47, 1:01, and 1:16 I saw air dodge frames, but in the examples listed above I saw nothing. There was only the sound of picking up an item and the banana going into Diddy's hand.

Emo-030

Smash Rookie

How the hell does Diddy pick up bananas from the air without air dodge or aerial frames? Example: 0:10, 0:30, 0:33, 0:36, 0:56, 1:43

At 0:47, 1:01, and 1:16 I saw air dodge frames, but in the examples listed above I saw nothing. There was only the sound of picking up an item and the banana going into Diddy's hand.
If you time it right, you can pick up items ( bananas ) that way. When the banana is at the same place in the air as diddy his hand, you can catch it with airdodge without airdodging.

null55

Smash Master
Half of us spend all of our time complaining about how Melee was better, what'd you expect? They've moved on and adapted.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

Z button.

Unless you're Link/T.Link/Samus, pressing Z with no direction will result in no attack, but rather, the picking up of an item. And the window for this isn't just Diddy's hand, you just need to be touching the item (Or very close to touching it) to grab it with Z whilst airborne.

I do this all the time. Yet another habit imported from Melee (Recatching Peach's turnips).

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just wanted to announce that Gano, the Diddy Kong in these videos, just won second place in the Ketubato-X tournament in Japan. Ketubato is one of the biggest Smash Bros. tournaments in Japan. I'm not a Diddy player, but I'm sure you all can help Diddy achieve the same kind of success in the US!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey, thanks for the update man!
Perhaps this'll warrant Diddy some more interest.

I'm guessing there are no vids yet?
I'll go searching anyhow.

EDIT:
Haha, I just realized you're the one who uploaded the Japanese matches : P

Top Bottom