• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Victory Quotes

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
This is so badass... I wish Mewtwo had a voice in the English version too... grunts are nice and all, but it can't beat a badass voice... ;~;

Last edited:

Volaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volaro
3DS FC
2707-2096-3929
I just wanna know what he's saying lol. Same goes for Marth.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I just wanna know what he's saying lol. Same goes for Marth.
"Watashi wa makeru wake niwa ikanai" = "I cannot lose"
"Orokana" = "Foolish"
"Watashi naze koko iru no naka?" = "Why am I here?"

This is what Mewtwo is saying. It's along these lines.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Alright, now, is there a way I can change my game language to Japanese? Not playing without listening to "Orokana".

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Alright, now, is there a way I can change my game language to Japanese? Not playing without listening to "Orokana".
No kidding. As for me, my favorite line is the first one he said in the video. I've always liked the Japanese voice of most of the Smash characters (spacies, anime characters, Pokemon, etc) more than the English voices, and after hearing Mewtwo's JP voice I like the JP voices even more. Really wish there was an option to switch to Japanese like in Melee.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
This is what Dual Audio is made for, I mean seriously, even a person like me who doesn't speak or understand a lick of Japanese would find those badass sounding. Oh well here's hoping something like a Japanese voice option can be patched in so i can finally hear Meta Knight's JP voice.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
*sigh* I can't believe they cut out his lines again. : /
It's not like he has an english VA in Smash4, and Marth also (still) talks in japanese.
Why cut out his victory quotes (-which, by the way, are friggin' bada$$)?

...oh well. His grunts and laughs are still awesome.

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
It's not like he has an english VA in Smash4, and Marth also (still) talks in japanese.

Same here.
1. Use the japanese quotes.
2. Translate it.
3. Have a feature like in Melee to switch to Japanese Or English.
Anyway :4mewtwo: FOREVER !
Really though 3 would be the best choice.

Last edited:

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
Uhhhh why do they do this?! D:
I do like our version of the second one though, with his badass evil laugh, so that's a plus I guess.
At least we get his voice even if it's not with voice clips. I like his English voice actor, but the Japanese version sounds so cold and badass.
Edit: Yes I know this is a different VA, but he replicates the Japanese one well, so.

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Sounds like they lifted the sound files directly from Melee.

Shame, I was hoping for his Japanese VA to return for a new rendition. I was also hoping he would have an English VA this time around. It's hard to be disappointed considering the fact that Mewtwo is in at all, but it still seems like a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I've been comparing them back to back. The intonation and sound quality are the same, like it's the same decade old sound file.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I still don't get why marth can speak in japanese but with mewtwo it's like "OH GOD NO! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! OAO"" as if japanese is some kind of terrifying plague. They really could have boosted the volume on his victory quotes though.

What the hell, that voice is terrifying

Anyway I just think it's sort of weird that they made Mewtwo refer to itself with "watashi". I was sort of expecting "ore" for some reason.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

And for Mars they got Spike Spencer around. He worked in Awakening for crying out loud. Well, at least Mars speaks English in Codename STEAM. By the way, who voices him in STEAM?

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
So just learned that mewtwo is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara in smash 4 rather than Ichimura. I have to say the guy does a excellent impression of ichimura's incredibly chilling and badass performances from the first movie and melee.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hopefully some important Nintendo employee catches on and convinces the team to just introduce his Japanese quotes into the english version. It wouldn't be any extra work, just introduce the files.

Last edited:

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully some important Nintendo employee catches on and convinces the team to just introduce his Japanese quotes into the english version. It wouldn't be any extra work, just introduce the files.
As much as I want that to happen they would be better of with the voice switch.

PRIZZA

Smash Rookie
NNID
PRIZZA
3DS FC
2036-7201-3400
I play the Japanese version of Smash4 for this exact reason: the voice acting is great.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Weird. The connection between a character and its voice actor is a big deal in Japan. So much so that characters are sometimes redesigned or even excluded if their voice actor passes away.

I wonder why he was unavailable or unwilling to voice Mewtwo this time around. Maybe he's working in a movie, as you said?

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
Just wait till hacking becomes a thing. (Mewtwo's Victory Theme Is In A Sepererate File From The Other Pokes As Shown In The Ryu And Roy Leak Which Is Comfirmed.)
This Is What I Would Change It To :
EDIT: GOOD NEWS Hacking Might Be Here Soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_qNaXnb20g
The Next Riivolution For WiiU. Which means.... JAPANESE WIN QUOTES ! (if someone finds out how to change the BRSAR.)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Times like this make me glad I play the japanese version of the game. I wonder what is the reasoning behind not including the language option like in Melee, perhaps too much VA and content to handle?

Regarding Mewtwo's VA, Keiji Fujiwara, his other roles include Axel from KH; Tony Stark in the Iron Man anime; Maes Hughes in Full Metal Alchemist: and some other roles in the Gundam series. The range of some of the japanese VA never cease to amaze me.

I also heard from a friend that Masachika Ichimura is currently ill.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Sigh... Was Mewtwo not having an english VA really all about the controversy behind Femtwo and his original english VA from the first movie? I really don't see a problem with just giving him a new VA like they did with Fox and Falco (despite how horrible the former sounds).

They need to put the option to switch voices for individual characters between Eng and Jpn

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^a highly masculine pronoun to refer to yourself as. Watashi is the most gender neutral pronoun for "I". Atashi is the opposite of ore in how it is the highly feminine version of "I".Mewtwo also uses the pronoun "ware" at times in the film just because he is one classy mon.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Mewtwo used watashi in Melee too.

Anyway what seems surprising is that Marth, aka the feminine version of Roy, does not use atashi. Or at least Lucina should use atashi since she is the feminine version of Marth and since she is his sister or probably something like that she should also be Japanese.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Marth is a hero prince turned king. atashi would be very unfitting for his character, boku is used instead as it is a polite male pronoun inferring humbleness despite his status. Atashi honestly is extremely feminine and "cutesy" so don't expect most warrior characters to use it. Lucina i honestly half expected to use "boku" as she masquerades as marth for a good portion of her game.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Marth is a hero prince turned king. atashi would be very unfitting for his character, boku is used instead as it is a polite male pronoun inferring humbleness despite his status. Atashi honestly is extremely feminine and "cutesy" so don't expect most warrior characters to use it. Lucina i honestly half expected to use "boku" as she masquerades as marth for a good portion of her game.
Wow Japanese people must be really egocentric if they have so many ways to refer to themselves lol.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Not really, it's merely a cultural and idiomatic thing. Kind of how most of their adjectives and nouns lack a female and male form.

Also, only women use Atashi in place of Watashi so Marth is not gonna be using those.

Top Bottom