• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

jasona's musings

Jasona

Smash Ace
i button mash alot. sometimes i stumble upon things that are weird and i'd like to mention them here, but i don't want to use a new thread each time.
i accidentally wavelanded the d-air much farther than i have been able to when intentionally practicing. i think its a case of extreme DI. since a low d-air sucks you into the ground quickly, i hope to combine this with that for some extra speed

i also occasionally look around the discussion and tactics forums for ideas
jab-locking
jab-locking sounds cool, but the only way i've been able to knock someone to the ground and get close quickly is to d-air
mid-air WD?
i hope to figure this one out, it may also be a case of extreme DI

more as it comes to me

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I wasn't able to tech out of it when I tested it. It seems legit like the others.

Jasona

Smash Ace
everytime undr and i sit down to play 2-3 hours of smash, our skills have noticeably improved. undr because he's undr and makes up craziness, but i only seem to improve because i've adapted to undr. i wish i could discover craziness for samus in the same way undr does for pit. we're going to practice today and i just know that undr has discovered some new options for pit. i need to come up with something or at least work harder at the basics. so i'm going to take some time before i meet up with undr and review the stuff i thought i needed to work on after our last session
powershielding into charge blast - i need to rack up damage and fight attacks that, when shielded, push me out of range. for example, pit's f-smash
powershielding into f-tilt - i couldn't get it to work last time without some tremendous start-up lag
shuffle the zair - just shuffling it isn't enough. i need to shuffle it at the height that makes it fully extend (its close) WITHOUT necessarily connecting. the range is ridiculously short on most shuffled zairs
learning the air dodge timing - i don't know the timing for coming out of the air dodge. learning to chain air dodges asap. undr beats me senseless because of this, but i believe that learning this will stop him from connecting most of the time
firing a homing after every aerial - the timing is weird and i haven't been able to play at the borderline
zairing after an aerial - i always forget that z is an air dodge after an aerial. i'm not in the habit of l-z'ing yet
pivot grabbing with a dash grab
jabbing and running away - not following up when there is no chance. running away adds to the mindgames
rolling - especially after landing from an aerial. my timing is way off when landing
ledge tactics - grappling and canceling by pressing down, ledgehopping with left and right instead of down, just sitting there when i know they're gonna smack me for my impatience... i just had an idea, i remember a few times where i jumped, grappled the ledge and was above the level while still connected. in the future, if i cancel the grapple, then i might have found a better ledgehop. i might even be able to ledge-cancel projectiles and reset the 3 limit on my grapple. NICE!
shield dashing - maybe i could learn to use the shield dash like a mini-wd if i could get the timing down for releasing the shield button and sliding
weird stutter-step (?) to f-smash - a sliding f-smash in the opposite direction. the range isn't extremely short and i can only use the f-smash. similar to the dashing u-smash
jab-cancel-jab faster - i'm not even going at half speed. if i were faster, i might be able to pseudo-lock people and walk with it. or get in two jabs before they touch the ground after powershielding their aerials.
use the fair - i just started using it last time. its nice, but i don't know how to follow it up. luck and button mashing have worked before...
landing an uair on the shield - especially when they're waiting to powershield my lame attempts at surprising the with shuffled aerials... which brings me to my next point
SHUFFLING - i rarely shuffle. it makes such a small difference in my battles that i never think about it. however, any speed gain is a good thing. whenever i screw up an aerial, i'm usually immediately met with a beating, so there is never an opportunity to shuffle. but there are rare cases when shuffling might have made a difference or created an opportunity. i don't want to miss those
using the nair - i don't know what to do with it. sometimes, while button mashing, it'll have some cool effects. i'd definitely try it more often if i could get into the habit of shuffling
zair, homing & smash missles with jumps - mixing them up in a jump. still not really clear on what i can mix and what i can use it for. whenever i fire a smash missle its always a mistake and 50% of the time it connects. mindgames
sh'ing a smash missle - i've done it, but i don't know about how low i can go

there is probably alot more, but undr called, so i'm off to do battle. its amazing what a little preparation can do for me. normally, i would never take the time to think ahead and i'd just be making stuff up as i went. i should do this more often. then maybe i really will discover something about samus. if only i could trick the game into letting me FF the up+b...

Mars-

Smash Champion
Shield dashing is extremely useful, you can attack fairly quickly out of it, so you can use it sort of like crouch canceling to stop your running so you can attack in melee. The only problem I have run into for this is the timing and motion is kinda awkward.

It is always a nice bonus when they attack you as well, because then there is a small chance of a power shield which means you can instantly attack out of your shield.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
use the fair - i just started using it last time. its nice, but i don't know how to follow it up. luck and button mashing have worked before...

always works to follow up the fair with an up+B. ALWAYS.

...okay well the ONE time it doesn't work is if they're close enough to you that button mashing sneaks in an attack because their hitstun recovery was fast due to their low percentage.

in that case though, first uair, then up+B. dont even have to hit with the last hit of the uair. you're simply uairing because that's everyone's highest priority aerial for the most part and it will interrupt whatever they're trying to do to give you time to up+B.

Jasona

Smash Ace
alot of things just clicked today and now i've learned to dash dance in some crazy ways. through dash dancing, i've also found a use for the dash attack and the dashing usmash. crazy stuff that i'll be working on in the next few weeks. if i can smooth out the rough spots and learn to transition in and out of it quickly, then i may be able to turn my matches with undr around.
already identified all of the combos i'm going to use in my next combo vid. now i just need to install studio 9 and start splitting clips. i'm not sure if my new technique will help with my combos. although, it may help starting them
if you missed the last/first one, then follow this link. i admit that the quad zair and the attempted drownings weren't even close to combos. funny though

EDIT - if you're bored enough, try watching these vids and listen to our commentary. its how i stop undr from trying to make podcasts.

Jasona

Smash Ace
while making my combo vid, i found some definite combos and slight variations of them. the one i frequently use is dash attack to jab to whatever, but it usually ends in a dtilt. i'm trying to find larger definite combos so the vid isn't too boring. a close zair into the dash attack combo is the next best thing. since i can do whatever i want after the jab, i've been trying to think of a way to extend it. everything i've come up with is highly situational. i'd like to learn how to jab into a dashing usmash or another dash attack, but its still too hard to break my dtilt/dsmash habit at the end. i wish undr hadn't shattered my dreams of ending every combo by flinging him away and zairing.
i've broken my habit of powersheilding into smashes. i exclusively use the jab or dtilt. i use the dtilt to give me enough room to grab a charge blast. those things are slow to powersheild into, but they sure pack a wallup and a lot of range. its also funny to dtilt into a zair as they're falling. this game is too much fun and samus gets more amazing every time i practice.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
iuno, UndrDog, zair zair zair zair zair zair can be pretty effective. It's cool 'cuz you can follow it up with some zairs.
If I had any room in my sig it'd be in there. Hey Sauna, you have a mundane an ultimately unattractive signature. Why don't you steal his quote? It's quite funny.

Jasona

Smash Ace
i don't always lose to undr and some of our matches are epic
epic and then some
i win. i win again, and again, and again

undr clued me in on some new discovery about every char potentially having an infinite jump type thingy. by the sound of it, i might be able to pick up the pace of my zair and just about any of my other aerials. if it works, undr will never stop reminding me of how gay samus is because of her broken zair combos. lol, good times are still ahead in the land of samus

Top Bottom