• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
hum.... no offense but I don''t think I've officially release any Zelda mod yet. I've got Wii U Zelda and Palutena in WIP but that about it for Zelda.
right that what i meant, looks like i didnt word it correctly... well thats nothing new

jaystring

Smash Ace
Update for Dante and Vergil!

I (finally) got to make CSPs for them. They were the last two of my mods that didn't get any CSP yet. I was using them personally and started to be annoyed to see placeholder CSPs so I finally decided to make them.

the Brawl Vault entry got updated, Nothing else changed on the mod!

Download Here (scroll down to Dante and Vergil)

Image Gallery

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Update for Dante and Vergil!

I (finally) got to make CSPs for them. They were the last two of my mods that didn't get any CSP yet. I was using them personally and started to be annoyed to see placeholder CSPs so I finally decided to make them.

the Brawl Vault entry got updated, Nothing else changed on the mod!

Download Here (scroll down to Dante and Vergil)

Image Gallery
Great work.

Noskcire

Smash Rookie
just imagine watching a cloud in its feminine version, creates a wonderful situation and something funny ... like going cloud?

jaystring

Smash Ace
just imagine watching a cloud in its feminine version, creates a wonderful situation and something funny ... like going cloud?
Well, don't expect me to make him look like a real girl with big boobs and stuff

He's gonna look voluntarily derpy, as he should! And pretty heavily clothed (to actually hide the fact that he's a man, make sense)

This I believe is a real official concept art for magazines of the game or stategy book

It's going to be my main Reference for the costume

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
My first thought on seeing that 3D render was... oh Lightning looks a bit different. Then I noticed it was Cloud. and was like, o_o' Oh...whoops.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hey Jaystring, when will cloud be release?
Sorry, it's not ready yet!

I didn't do that much progress on Cloud these days to be honest. I'm quite busy with other non-modding related stuff and my free time is going into Deoxys for KingJigglypuff that I want to finish soon!

New progress will be posted right here when there's going to be new stuff to show!

E-scope12

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, it's not ready yet!

I didn't do that much progress on Cloud these days to be honest. I'm quite busy with other non-modding related stuff and my free time is going into Deoxys for KingJigglypuff that I want to finish soon!

New progress will be posted right here when there's going to be new stuff to show!
You're doing Deoxys?

Greyson

Smash Apprentice
Took some pictures of Awakening Roy with some Smash 3 textures. Thought you might like to see them.

Haven't encountered any problems with him on the Wii so far.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Found out you were planning to eventually do HW Ganondorf? Good to hear, since you do some great quality work. That's been my most wanted mod for a while.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Took some pictures of Awakening Roy with some Smash 3 textures. Thought you might like to see them.

Haven't encountered any problems with him on the Wii so far.
Nice!! Enjoy it!

Found out you were planning to eventually do HW Ganondorf? Good to hear, since you do some great quality work. That's been my most wanted mod for a while.
Yes I do plan to do it at some point

jaystring

Smash Ace
Do you plan to do Wii U Marth and Ike in their PM alternate costumes (Holy War Marth and Armored Ike, respectively)? Kuro did one for Marth already, but I like the little touches you put in your models.
yeah, maybe at some point.

I still have too many new skins I would like to do before spending time on them. They are not my priority.

I didn't do them the first time because, in all honestly, I didn't like them all that much.

The Marth one is really easy as it's basically only a headswap. Kiro did try to do the Ike one but it require way more work as the model need to be deformed to his new body shape.

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
Hey jaystring, are you planning to do a Ranger Ike costume with the sword fix? You know, since brawl sword is not properly modeled.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hey jaystring, are you planning to do a Ranger Ike costume with the sword fix? You know, since brawl sword is not properly modeled.
You mean having Brawl Ike costume with the Wii U sword!?

I can do it, but it's not really a priority right now as i prefer focusing on new stuff right now. maybe later!

but to be honest, both swords from both game are almost identical. They definitively took the Brawl sword for the Wii U game and tweak it a tiny bit (biggest difference in the model is the begining of the blade has an extra green diamond and the blade get extended a bit at it's base). They are way too similar to not be the same sword

The model have only 70 triangle difference between both (which is really not that much), both swords use almost the exact same UV (compare the textures, you'll see that they are layout almost identical)

Only the texture is a bit different, it has more details on Wii U version.

Here's both of them side by side

josxx1803

Smash Rookie
You mean having Brawl Ike costume with the Wii U sword!?

I can do it, but it's not really a priority right now as i prefer focusing on new stuff right now. maybe later!

but to be honest, both swords from both game are almost identical. They definitively took the Brawl sword for the Wii U game and tweak it a tiny bit (biggest difference in the model is the begining of the blade has an extra green diamond and the blade get extended a bit at it's base). They are way too similar to not be the same sword

The model have only 70 triangle difference between both (which is really not that much), both swords use almost the exact same UV (compare the textures, you'll see that they are layout almost identical)

Only the texture is a bit different, it has more details on Wii U version.

Here's both of them side by side

Wow, interesting! Maybe Nintendo got a little bit lazy and did what you said xD But, I got say (since I'm very nitpicky at details) that it always bugged me the fact that they couldn't address that little detail... Hell, even PMDT was bugged off by it an tweak it in Hector's costume for Ike (since the model from Wii U is the exact representation of the Ragnell as of the game and PM model had the intention to reach that image for it's twin sister, the Alondite)

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
hey jaystring, so im using your Roys, WiiU and Awakening WiiU and well im getting an error when trying to replace the Stock Icons i am using the regular but its not working and ive tried it on every place that has the Stock Icons, am i doing something wrong?

jaystring

Smash Ace
hey jaystring, so im using your Roys, WiiU and Awakening WiiU and well im getting an error when trying to replace the Stock Icons i am using the regular but its not working and ive tried it on every place that has the Stock Icons, am i doing something wrong?
well, it doesn't work so yeah you are doing something wrong!

I've never had any issues replacing stock icons so I don't know how you could get errors out of this. it's pretty straight foward process.

what error are you getting exactly?

The most likely mistake I can imagine replacing stock icons are :

1) you changed the compression setting (CMPR, CI8 etc etc). never change those when replacing icons

2) you changed the resolution (like importing the HD ones by mistake). always keep the original size (or lower). importing higher res image ups filesize and filesize causes freeze when loading the stage if it goes over the limit.

3) if they are not showing up ingame, you forgot to replace some stock icons (for some reason, stock icons have to be replace in 4-5 locations in the files because Brawl wasn't program to always look at the same set of stock icons. i've made a list that I use personally at home but I don't have it at hand right now)

if they are not showing up ingame, it can also be because you replaced the wrong one!

4) if using Cbliss, when adding new costume slot, you also have to add new icons number too that match the costume number. This is a bit too complex to explain in words. my personnal build has stock icons setup for all character up to 10 costumes (with placeholder mario face for not used yet costume). I remember passing a lot of time setting this up but it pay off now as it's super quick to add a new costume slot)

unless you mistakenly imported the HD ones (never import the HD ones in pac files) my stock icons doesn't have anything special to them, they should be imported the exact same way as any other Brawl mods ever.

Hopefully this help and you can figure out the issue!

Last edited:

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
well, it doesn't work so yeah you are doing something wrong!

I've never had any issues replacing stock icons so I don't know how you could get errors out of this. it's pretty straight foward process.

what error are you getting exactly?

The most likely mistake I can imagine replacing stock icons are :

1) you changed the compression setting (CMPR, CI8 etc etc). never change those when replacing icons

2) you changed the resolution (like importing the HD ones by mistake). always keep the original size (or lower). importing higher res image ups filesize and filesize causes freeze when loading the stage if it goes over the limit.

3) if they are not showing up ingame, you forgot to replace some stock icons (for some reason, stock icons have to be replace in 4-5 locations in the files because Brawl wasn't program to always look at the same set of stock icons. i've made a list that I use personally at home but I don't have it at hand right now)

if they are not showing up ingame, it can also be because you replaced the wrong one!

4) if using Cbliss, when adding new costume slot, you also have to add new icons number too that match the costume number. This is a bit too complex to explain in words. my personnal build has stock icons setup for all character up to 10 costumes (with placeholder mario face for not used yet costume). I remember passing a lot of time setting this up but it pay off now as it's super quick to add a new costume slot)

unless you mistakenly imported the HD ones (never import the HD ones in pac files) my stock icons doesn't have anything special to them, they should be imported the exact same way as any other Brawl mods ever.

Hopefully this help and you can figure out the issue!
actually the files wont even import into Brawlbox when trying to replace hold on let me see if i can find the error message, this is what it gives me in the System.ArgumentExeption
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

tryptech

Smash Cadet
actually the files wont even import into Brawlbox when trying to replace hold on let me see if i can find the error message, this is what it gives me in the System.ArgumentExeption View attachment 115446
I've had that exact problem before with plenty of stock icons, and my work-around was always to resave the stock with the most subtle, unnoticable edit in photoshop and reimport it. Not sure if that's super helpful, but it gets around the error at least.

jaystring

Smash Ace
actually the files wont even import into Brawlbox when trying to replace hold on let me see if i can find the error message, this is what it gives me in the System.ArgumentExeption View attachment 115446
interesting. I've never seen that error message with any of my icons.

tryptech's fix seem to suggest that it's something in the png that might be the cause.

I do convert the regular Stock Icons into "Index" image with 16 colors so maybe that's the issue ( I do it in photoshop because I noticed that photoshop was cutting colors better then doing it directly inside brawlbox. gave better quality icons in the end)

Top Bottom