• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff play translating to other characters?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I just got wrecked online as Villager against a seasoned peach player. I switched to jigglypuff for round two, and I was so good at spacing and baiting attacks that he just couldn't keep up with me. This is how it seems to go every time. Whether or not I win the match, my opponent has a much harder time reading me when I play as JP, even if it's just the same ducking and dodging that I'm doing throughout the match.

What other characters have you found to play similarly? I guess my biggest issue right now is actually comboing and getting KOs. I mostly just duck in for potshots and followups. SH bairs and stuff.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
100% wario

I used Wario in Brawl because Jigglypuff was so terrible in that game, and because Wario had better air mobility than she did. Also, his waft is very similar to the way rest is used. If you're looking for another character that rewards you for having a similar style, I'd definitely recommend Wario right away. I use him in smash 4 every once in a while for that reason, and I have a lot of success with him when I do.

Besides that though, Kirby (for obvious reasons) and also G&W have similar hit and run style games that rely a lot of aerials and spacing

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Those are three characters I actually avoid. Maybe it's time I give them a serious shot.

I need to learn to user waft/rest effectively, though.... I hear about comboing uptilt into it and stuff and can't really figure out how. (For Jiggs I mean)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Both rest and waft are better used as a punish in my opinion. Usually during an opponent's ending lag (whiffed or on block), or their recovery. The nice thing about Wario over Puff is that he can drop down on people recovering and give em the ol' fart. So characters like Villager or Duck Hunt doing their slow upB from below the stage, you can simply run off and waft back up to safety usually netting yourself a kill. Comboing into rest is over-rated, because practically any time the opponent is at a low enough % for you to combo into rest, they won't die from it and they'll just punish you. This is only worth doing situationally, but rest is generally better as just a punish tool. For both characters, downB out of shield on anything really laggy, or spotdodge downB. Both of these makes opponents really hesitant, which is especially good with Wario because hesitant opponents will play more defensive, giving you more time to build waft.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I've tried Kirby and Wario in the past because a lot of people say they're similar to Puff but I just don't think they capture what I like about her.

Ness, however, feels right to me. He's got a lot of utility in the air, fairly floaty, and is pretty good at edgeguarding.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I'm actually considering checking out pac man more, after reading through the guide on his message board.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I've tried Kirby and Wario in the past because a lot of people say they're similar to Puff but I just don't think they capture what I like about her.

Ness, however, feels right to me. He's got a lot of utility in the air, fairly floaty, and is pretty good at edgeguarding.
Ness is actually my other main, so I can agree with you. I didn't think other puff players felt the same though, and I thought my opinion was warped because Ness has been my favorite character since the n64 and I play him in every game. (though not competitively, since he's bad in every game except smash 4, which is why I'm so happy that he is finally usable :p) both Ness and Puff feel mechanically similar, and are both the most comfortable character for me personally.

I said Waio and Kirby because they have a very similar gameplan. They might mechanically feel a bit different, but the game that you're playing is very similar. The hit-and-run, the patient and pokey gameplay, etc. Ness, is more about harassing your opponent with ranged attacks and disjointed hitboxes, and using pk fire and grabs to get followups and put your opponent into inferior positioning. I think Kirby and Wario, similar to Puff, rely more on "pushing" their opponent away or towards the ledge and getting a lot of reward out of making them choose defensive options such as rolling.

That being said, what a high level player thinks of characters and a less experienced player thinks of characters is completely different so what I'm saying might not be relatable to Mmik or you. >_<

I'm actually considering checking out pac man more, after reading through the guide on his message board.
Pac-Man has a very different playstyle, but there isn't anything wrong with that. Try out everyone and decide who feels the most comfortable to you!

Drew English

Smash Cadet
NNID
gringaer
3DS FC
3625-9539-5058
I started as Ness in smash N64 and have been playing him ever since. Recently though, I found that Jiggs is a good counter for characters that I have a harder time fighting.

Last edited:

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
100% wario

I used Wario in Brawl because Jigglypuff was so terrible in that game, and because Wario had better air mobility than she did. Also, his waft is very similar to the way rest is used. If you're looking for another character that rewards you for having a similar style, I'd definitely recommend Wario right away. I use him in smash 4 every once in a while for that reason, and I have a lot of success with him when I do.

Besides that though, Kirby (for obvious reasons) and also G&W have similar hit and run style games that rely a lot of aerials and spacing
I also mained Wario in Brawl, but I find him much worse in sm4sh. His aerials just don't autocancel like they used to and his short hop is too low to weave around people's hitboxes. I only picked up jiggs because she plays the most like brawl wario.

It might sound weird, but I'd suggest trying Ike. He's all about spacing his aerials and he's got a heavy punish game. Very different mechanically though obviously.

Top Bottom